Scottish Beauty

By Sweetpeas

Known for their beauty, the Campbell sisters have many men vying for their hands, but as Lady Emma was the el... More

Chapter One - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Two - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Three - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Four - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Six - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Seven - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Eight - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Nine - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Ten - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Eleven - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twelve - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Fourteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Fifteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Sixteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Seventeen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Eighteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Nineteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-One - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Two - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Three - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Four - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Five - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Six - Scottish Beauty
Chaper Twenty-Seven - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirty - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirty-One - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirty-Two - Scottish Beauty
Epilogue - Scottish Beauty

Chapter Five - Scottish Beauty

208K 5.1K 300
By Sweetpeas

Chapter Five

Andrew, his brothers and Da were just sitting down to break their fast when Emma descended the stairs into the great hall.   Once again, she was another vision of loveliness.  Andrew noticed that she was wearing another one of his Mother’s gowns, this time it was one of her day gowns.   It was light blue in colour, plain and simple, but it suited Emma perfectly.

Andrew decided that he was going to be the first to greet Emma and raced over to the bottom of the stairs.   Extending his hand, he helped her down the last three steps.   Once they made eye contact, the spell could not be broken.

Turning Emma so that she was shielded by his broad shoulders against peering eyes, Andrew took her hand and kissed the pulse on her wrist.   It was racing just as fast as he suspected.  

Could she see how fast his heart was beating? 

 “Ye are most beautiful this morn Emma,” Andrew whispered to her, never once breaking eye contact.

Blushing, but her too, never breaking eye contact with Andrew, “And ye are most handsome Andrew,” Emma told him with a sexy but innocent smile.   Taking her hand and putting into the crook of his arm, he escorted her to the high table.

They ate in silence, but the spell between Andrew and Emma continued.   Their eyes connected frequently and silently they told each other what the other was feeling. 

Robert was the first to break the silence, “Emma, did you wish to pick heather this morn or after midday meal?” he asked her spooning some coddle eggs into his mouth.

 “Emma.”

“Emma,” he called her again.

“Did ye say something Robert,” she finally said turning to him, breaking her eye contact with Andrew.

“The heather, would you like to go this morn or perhaps later on?” Robert asked her again.

“Oh, I had forgotten Robert, this morn would be lovely.  Thank you,” Emma told him politely.

“Are ye alright Emma?” Angus asked her now.  “Ye look a bit flushed.”

“Aye Angus, I am well.    Do you know if there are any jugs for me to place the heather in?” she asked.

“Aye, there should be some in the storage rooms.  I will get one of the lads to take some out for ye,” Angus told as he smiled.

Angus turned towards Ian and Andrew,”Andrew, do you train the men this morn?” he asked, biting into a piece of bread.

“Aye, they grow a bit slack.  Ian and I will train this morn,” Andrew replied taking a sip of his ale.

“Andrew, I dinna have time to train.  I need to go over the accounts this morn with the steward,” Ian told him hoping to get out of swordplay.

“Ian, the accounts can wait until this afternoon.  Ye will attend with me,” Andrew told him sternly.   Andrew knowing Ian was lying because he wanted to get out of training, he didn’t like forcing him, but it needed to be done.

“Nae Andrew, I’ve got things that need attending,” Ian told him hoping that Andrew would concede.

Angus watching this, knowing that the accounts were up to date, his steward was efficient and always kept Angus informed.  He decided that he needed to make the decision for Ian.

“Ian,” Angus now stood at his seat, placing both palms on the table, on either side of his trencher, “Ye will train with Andrew this morn.”  He told him in a stern voice as he looked him in the eyes.   Nothing more needed to be said, the look of challenge in Angus’ eye told Ian that he had no choice.  No one ever dared defy the Laird, even his sons.

Andrew stood now and started walking towards the doors, looking over his shoulder he could still see the showdown between Father and son.  ”Ian,” he shouted, “Move your arse!”  

“Robert!” Andrew shouted across the hall now.  Once Robert turned to address his brother, Andrew continued, “When ye finish picking flowers this morn, ye will join us.”  Another direct order to be followed.

 “Ian!   I’ll not call ye again,” Andrew said gruffly noticing that Ian still had not stood up yet.  He made eye contact with Emma once again, this time he could see the love and pride in her eyes that she had for him.   He winked at her, made her blush and then left the hall.

Andrew worked Ian hard.   By the end of the training session, Ian was bloodied, sweaty and dying of thirst.

“Andrew...have care!”  Ian begged him.   “Ye know that I’m nae like ye, Robert and Grant.”

“Aye, I know ye are not, but Ian, ye need to be able to defend yourself, your lady one day, perhaps even your children.” Andrew told him taking another swing with his sword and hoping that Ian was paying attention and blocked him.  He already was distracted once when a pretty maid walked by and Andrew nicked him on the shoulder.

“Andrew cease!  It is almost midday,” Ian begged him once again.  “Don’t take out your frustrations on me.”

“Aye I am frustrated, ye got that right.  I dinna take my frustrations out on ye Ian.  I do this for your own good,” Andrew told him grinning as he took another swing with his sword.   He could tell that Ian had had enough he barely blocked that swing and staggered on his feet.

“Aye, I think ye are done here Ian, ye did good,” Andrew said clasping his brother’s shoulder and giving him a good squeeze.  They both walked over to the well together and took a long hardy drink of water.  

Yelling at his men to cease training, telling them they had enough for the day, Andrew noticed in the distance two riders approaching the gates.  As they got closer, he noticed it was Emma and Robert.    Andrew was amazed, Emma was not riding side saddle as most ladies do, she was riding astride and she rode well.  Walking over to the stables, Andrew decided that he was going to help Emma dismount.   Ian seemed to be watching just as Andrew was and followed him to the stables.

Giving a curd nod to Robert, Andrew turned to help Emma.    Her cheeks were rosy, her hair was dishevelled from her ride, she was even more beautiful than this morn.  “Ye can ride lass?” Andrew asked her smiling, more like a statement then an actual question.

“Aye, I suppose so,” Emma replied with a grin.   “I was weary when Robert suggested I ride, but once I was on the mare, it came very natural to me.”  She was beaming now, proud of herself as she discovered more and more of what she could or didn’t even know that she could do.

Placing Emma down onto her feet, she turned now to see Ian standing close by.   “Och Ian,” she cried running towards him, “Ye are hurt!”

“Only a scratch Lady Emma, do not worry yourself over much,” Ian told her grinning, enjoying her attentions.

“Nae Ian,” she said, looking him over and inspecting his cut.  “It’s not deep, no need to stitch, but come on, it needs to be cleaned.” And with that, she clasped her hand with his and pulled him from the stables towards the castle.

Being dragged along, Ian was thoroughly enjoying Emma’s attentions for once and turned to see both of his brother’s staring at him with envy.    Deciding to enjoy his brother’s jealously...”Oh Emma, not so fast ’tis a bit painful,” Ian told her pretending that his arm was sore.

“Oh dear,” muttered Emma looking extremely concerned for Ian.   “Ye will rest and I will take care of ye,” she told him.  And with that, Ian turned towards his brothers once again winked and let Emma drag him along to the castle.

“Ye know he’s enjoying this Andrew,” Robert said shaking his head at his brother’s ploy to seek the attention of a bonny lass.

“Aye, it is plain to see that he is,” Andrew said shaking his head as well. 

“Ye worked him hard I can see,” Robert mentioned to Andrew and turned to unclasp the bundles of heather that he and Emma had picked.

“Aye, it is for his own good Robert,” Andrew replied and catching a bundle that Robert tossed to him before it fell.

“Of course it is for his own good, he is the laziest of us all,” Robert said laughing now.   “I should have stayed behind and watched you work him hard.”

“What, ye did not like picking flowers with Lady Emma?” Andrew teased him.

“Nae, I did not.  Ye know me Andrew, I would have preferred the blood and sweat of training then to picking flowers.   I only did because of what Da asked of me,” Robert told him truthfully.

Andrew watched his brother closely he could see the truth in his eyes and wondered why he was telling him this.    “What’s going on with you Robert?  Ye did not enjoy spending time with Emma,” Andrew inquired.

“Aye Andrew, I did enjoy spending time with Emma.  She is caring, very lovely, the lass has spirit, but...” he shrugged his shoulders and said no more.

“But?” Andrew pushed him.

“But it’s not there Andrew do ye know what I mean?” Robert asked his brother.  “I was hoping that perhaps there was more, but there isn’t.  ‘Tis more like brotherly love that I feel for the lass.”

“Aye, I do know what ye mean because it makes me happy knowing that it’s not there for ye, but tis there for me,” Andrew admitted to Robert.

“Andrew, I can see the way ye look at her, the way she looks at ye, I know ye care deeply for her,” Robert told him softly.   “But ye know that ye cannot marry her if she is breeding.”

“Aye, I know.  Da has made that very clear to me,” Andrew said bitterly.

“Andrew, I do not want this to come between us.  If the lass is breeding, I told Da that I would marry her.   Ye dinna wish her to be shamed or her bairn to be born a bastard, do ye?” Robert told him, hoping he could make him understand that he was doing this for Emma.

“Aye Robert, ye have the right of it.  I dinna wish for any shame to be brought upon Emma,” Andrew replied feeling guilty for resenting Robert when Robert was being a gentleman in helping the lass out.

Grabbing the last bundle of heather, Robert started walking towards the castle.  He stopped and turned to Andrew,”If it makes ye feel any better, the lass could not stop talking about ye while we were out,” Robert told him and then started to walk back towards the castle.

Andrew now knowing more of Robert’s feelings and true intentions, he felt little resentment towards him.  Now if only things would go his way.  If the moon would cooperate and come, life would be good.

Grabbing his bundle and sighing, Andrew raced after his brother and walked up to the castle.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 879 42
Set in the early 1950's Carn Mo'r is a romance set in the Ladder hills, in Scotland, in the heart of the old whiskey smugglers country. Badly wounde...
46.4K 5K 72
12-22-2021 #1 in Celtic 12-02-2022 #1 in mature themes 12-04-2022 #1 in Historical Romance Uncovering a web of lies and deceit, Laird Eòin (Owen) Dou...
1.4K 62 33
Alora Abbott survived Fifth Year relatively unscathed, but she can't say the same for Sebastian Sallow, who spent the first two weeks of summer pieci...
149K 2.4K 42
"What the fuck is your problem?" I asked my sworn enemy. "Have you lost your damn mind!" I scream at the top of my lungs. This bitch better answer m...