The Crossing (Book One)

By Arzoelyn

The Key will come... Aurora is an ordinary college student gifted with an unknown power when her mother dies... More

Prophecy of the Key
Map of Enju
Chapter One: The Quest
Chapter Two: Found
Chapter Three: Run
Chapter Four: Tezaro
Chapter Six: In The Desert
Chapter Seven: Morid
Chapter Eight: The Water Shed
Chapter Nine: The Common Room
Chapter Ten: A Different Path
Chapter Eleven: Fate
Chapter Twelve: Ilsurni Castle
Chapter Thirteen: Lucas
Chapter Fourteen: The Murmurwoods
Chapter Fifteen: Nesting Thoughts
Chapter Sixteen: The Hunt
Chapter Seventeen: Prey
Chapter Eighteen: The Silent Circle
Chapter Nineteen: More Than Words
Chapter Twenty: Nor Friend or Foe
Chapter Twenty-One: Not Alone
Chapter Twenty-Two: A New Discovery
Chapter Twenty-Three: Eri's Camp
Chapter Twenty-Four: True Intentions
Chapter Twenty-Five: Apprentice
Chapter Twenty-Six: Master Owen
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Fallen
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Captured
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Elder Tree
Chapter Thirty: Sight
Chapter Thirty-One: A Role To Play
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Fate of the Fallen
Chapter Thirty-Three: Betrayal
Chapter Thirty-Four: Bonds
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Walls of Ilsurni Castle
Chapter Thirty-Six: Phoenix Fire
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Torn Apart
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Lathimnar
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Home
Chapter Forty: Nim's Legacy
Chapter Forty-One: Moves and Counter Moves
Chapter Forty-Two: Landros
Chapter Forty-Three: The Narrow Pass
Chapter Forty-Four: Entering Kai'lym
Chapter Forty-Five: A Quiet Dinner
Chapter Forty-Six: Oaths and Threats
Chapter Forty-Seven: Trust
Epilogue: Crown Guard
Crossroads
Teaser #1
Teaser #2
Teaser #3

Chapter Five: Taken

9.6K 582 193
By Arzoelyn

The night before...

Lily stared dumbfounded at Aurora's message drawn in the mud, yet before she could ask what was wrong, Aurora had dashed out from under the bridge. She looked in the direction Aurora had taken, worry lines marking her forehead.

What kind of trouble had Aurora gotten herself into this time? And what would cause her to head towards it instead of running from it? Lily needed to know more.

If Aurora was in trouble, then she would do everything to help. She grabbed the small pack Aurora carried out of the water then stepped into the rain.

Her clothes were immediately soaked but she ignored the cold and wet. Not knowing where exactly to go, Lily ran mindlessly through alleys littered in refuse and growing puddles.

The grinding of metal scratched her ears and she followed the clamor. As she drew closer, the clashing stopped and a crackling broke the patter of raindrops.

Hugging the wall, Lily turned the corner where the back alleys intercepted but saw nothing. Surely Aurora was nearby. She couldn't have outdistanced her that quickly. Taking a deep breath, she stepped forward to the sound of crunching ice beneath her booted feet. Odd, no hail had fallen as she looked to the sky.

She never saw the blast that floored her unconscious. Her body fell limp to the ground in a tumble with Aurora's pack at her side.

 From the shadows Mimika emerged smiling. Lord Fennaris, who was close behind, crouched next to their victim, crystal in hand.

It began to shine a faded glow. "There is a faint scent of magic around her. It's similar to the other one." He pocketed the crystal and stood.

"Then which one is the one we want?" The puff of light that obeyed Mimika hovered over the girl's head revealing a perfectly heart shaped face and hair the color of honey knotted in a various entangled braids. Mimika sneered. "If they are both the same, then we should kill this one now." She leaned down in eagerness.

"No." He held out his arm to ward her off. "We need to know more first. I want to know why there are two, when there is only said to be one." He huddled closer to Lily.

"Still, she is lovely. If nothing comes of it, I will keep her for myself. Let's leave this place. It's time we returned." He snatched her arm and lifted the Lily's body over his shoulder without decorum.

"What about the rogue knight and the other one? Should we not stop them, my lord?" She turned side to side, searching the dark alleys. The puff of light circled above her once, then landed on her open palm where she extinguished with a closed fist.

"We will, but first we will take care of this one." His stride was swift as he headed to the streets away from the back alley. The girl's body bumped unceremoniously against his back with every step.

Mimika's eyes rested on her with unhidden contempt. "You're right. She does have a pretty face." There was nothing genuine about her comment as she continued to walk closely behind her lord. "It would be a shame if something happened to it." Like a claw her hand reached out to touch it, but Fennaris' had quickened his pace.

He dismissed her jealousy. "Hurry. I do not think your powers will have the strength to keep the Crossing open for much longer. You have already taxed your powers enough in creating this storm. Did you bring the vial? Good." He eyed her as she produced it. "Make sure she drinks it before the Crossing."

"Yes, the effects of a Crossing on a human have been known to be unpredictable or fatal without the potion." A wonderful thought warmed her and she grinned, patting the vial within her robe.

"Let us leave this place. It's time we returned to Mithoran and continue with my plans." They walked to where they had left the strange horseless carriage with a driver that Mimika had bewitched.

Through the winding streets they left the city behind to where the ground turned from paved streets to soft earth saturated with water. Large tree limbs sagged around them and tall grasses hid their path while the creeping night concealed their movements like an accomplice. They were not far from their Crossing.

Distractingly Mimika continued, "What do you make of the knight's appearance? He was searching for the magical essence these two appear to carry. And he got away with one." She knew that would rile him enough for what she wanted to do.

Hatred permeated his voice. "For now." He chortled in mirth then turned to Mimika flashing a satisfied smile, but revealing nothing.

Long ago he had secretly offered Armindia's Protector a chance to side with him. Just as he, they both controlled the military and had the loyalty of their men. Combined, their skilled warriors could have easily taken over the other kingdoms and ruled the continent.

And once they controlled the continent, he'd find some way to rule alone without the knight. However Bladewoods had spewed about honor and moral ideals, flat out refusing him. Now, it was out of sheer vindictiveness that he desired the rogue knight's death.

It was simple for Mimika to conclude what was behind her lord's smile. "You know who killed his brother?" She was astonished...that he had not told her.

"Yes. Oh, yes. He would not be able to bear the truth of his brother's death. I know it. It would be the end of him." His voice was fierce.

"Then why not tell him and be done with it? He'd be destroyed and you'd be rid of him once and for all." She followed Lord Fennaris across the brush unwaveringly.

"No, my beautiful Mimika. Information is more powerful. Let him chase ghosts. Soon, a time will come when he could be manipulated to my uses." He smirked out a short laugh.

"When he learns about his brother's fate, how he really died, he will know pain like no other. He will be weak. And he will be my pawn. I want to see him suffer and then he can join his brother by my hand." Fennaris clenched his fist.

Entering a dark, damp cave, he placed Lily on the ground. "Give her the potion," he instructed Mimika before turning. "I will check on the Crossing."

Mimika saw him walk deeper into the cave, beyond her line of sight. She uncorked the vial, "Yes, let's give you the potion." Slowly she let it pour out of the bottle near Lily's head until all of its contents were gone, absorbed into the ground. A proud smile lifted her delicate face.

"Is she ready?" Fennaris approached.

She stood calmly and reassured him. "She's ready."

Lord Fennaris lifted Lily over his shoulder once again while the sorceress led the way. She stopped and began chanting to reveal the entirety of the Crossing.

Dimming runes surged in brilliance, they glowed like cats' eyes in the darkness before they blasted onto the cave wall leaving scorch marks. The impact created waves that distorted the jagged walls in a riptide. In the center, incomprehensible images swirled in saturated color. The power of the Crossing was quickly fading as they hurried and crossed into their realm moments before it collapsed.

The warm, golden light of the sun met Aurora and Tezaro at the bridge along with the embrace of humidity. At this rate, by midday her clothes would be clinging to her.

She crawled under the bridge to search for any sign of Lily. On the ground she found the crusted outline of her "GET HELP!" sign. Except for a few muddy footprints, there was no sign of Lily.

"Where would she have gone?" Tezaro stooped down by the footprints to study them.

"I don't know. She wasn't at the apartment and no one has seen her." Aurora scanned the area worriedly. This was highly out of character for Lily.

Tezaro stood, gazed at the nearby buildings, and reached out a hand to her. "Come on. Let's retrace your footsteps." She placed her hand in his. There was that tingling feeling again she couldn't place. It unsettled her. With Tezaro's hand for support she crawled out, but he released it the instant she was out.

As they began walking, Aurora studied him. The layered clothing he wore bore the markings of the night's struggles. His sword and multiple daggers were well hidden beneath a long, dark leather coat.

She couldn't help but wonder what other secrets he hid. His face was a guarded mask, but for a moment, when he'd spoke about Armindia and the Key, she had seen something else. Something she couldn't name.

They moved through the same alleys she had run the previous night until they were back at the site of the fight. Nothing remained of the ice shards but a puddle here or there. She edged closer towards a bundle on the floor.

"My pack!" Aurora cried as she ran toward it. Tezaro was behind her, raising his gaze high above, waiting for an attack. "But... I didn't drop it here." She bent to lift it and finding it dry she looped it through her arm.

Tezaro grabbed her by her other arm and quickly led her away. "They have her. We have to get through the Crossing. Now." He was already dragging her away.

Aurora tried to keep up with him, demanding answers. "What do you mean? Where are they taking her?"

"If she's alive back to Mithoran through the Crossing." They rounded a corner and she yanked her arm free.

Aurora halted. "If she's..."

He stopped and turned to her. "I'm sorry. I did not mean to be so blunt, but right now the most important thing is that I keep you safe. You have to come back with me. If you will not go for the sake of Armindia, then come for hers." He offered her his hand again. "I will keep you safe. Will you trust me?"

For a moment, she stared at his opened hand. Could she trust him? A complete stranger? The implication of taking his hand meant putting her life and Lily's in his. She barely knew him, and trust is a fragile thing. Still, if Lily was in danger, she could not turn away. He was her only link to her. She took a deep breath, decision made. 

She nodded solemnly and placed her hand in his. "Yes."

"I give you my word, your life above mine." She was lost in the sincerity of his words. No one had ever spoken to her like that.

Together they raced through the city and before she knew it, the sun was high in the pale sky as they approached the lake. Wildflowers bloomed after the night's rain and swayed with the caress of the wind. The ground became soft and tall grass reached to her knees.

Hidden in the brush of the yellow grass, Tezaro unearthed a small raft and paddle that he dragged to the edge of the sparkling water.

"Get in and I will push us off." Without argument, Aurora jumped in the tiny raft as water crested at the front of the raft gently sinking with her weight. After shoving the boat waist high in the water, Tezaro climbed in, rocking it with his added weight. With practiced experience, they began making their way across the lake as Tezaro paddled.

As far as she could tell they were alone in the lake racing toward a destination that only he knew. Hundreds of sparkles of sunlight danced and glittered in and out of existence in the water's surface. From the corner of her eye, Aurora noticed Tezaro intently staring at her, which caused her to advert her eyes and blush uncomfortably.

Tezaro smiled briefly and continued to row. He also continued to stare her in silence. The wind carried tresses of her hair across her face and she neatly captured them and tucked them behind her ear. Her eyes reflected the simmering water like burning ambers. "Beautiful," escaped from his lips.

"What is?" She turned to him intrigued.

He pointed with his chin at the water instead. "You have a marriage arrangement." His tone was matter of fact as his eyes briefly went to her locket. "Nevermind. It's none of my concern." The oars received his full attention to paddling as if it required complete concentration.

Aurora looked befuddled at him. She remained silent for a while then finally answered. "No." He turned and faced her. "Why do you ask?"

Ignoring her question, he simply stated, "We're here." There was no marker to indicate their location, but apparently Tezaro knew they had arrived.

Placing the paddle inside the raft, he took out a small rounded glass bottle and handed it to her. "This is your first Crossing so drink this." Trustingly, she uncorked the bottle and drank the red liquid without complaint. He rewarded her trust with a smile.

"Crossings for humans after so long can have severe consequences. It's best to be cautious." He half stood, "I hope you can swim." She nodded once. "Good. Wait here."

With that he dove into the smooth water, teetering the raft from side to side. Grabbing the edge of the raft, she peered into the waters depth searching for Tezaro through the whirl of rising bubbles.

He propelled his body through the water with harsh kicks, slicing his way with his arms. The rim of the rune stones was sitting on a large underwater plateau. He placed a turquoise gem in a rune carving and saw it glow in its snug fit.

Using the plateau's floor to push himself upward to the surface, he emerged from the water with a splash and caught his breath. "It's ready. Take a deep breath and follow me." Aurora looped her pack through her arms then climbed out of the raft, and submerged her head into the brisk water.

There was no time for her body to adjust to the cool temperature of the water. She cut quickly through it behind Tezaro. They came upon a swirl of bright colors on a large ridge that protruded high above the lake's floor. The colors reached out from their stone enclosure. It looked like a well made out of spinning light to Aurora. As they moved closer, almost out of breath, Tezaro took her hand and guided her through as the light reached out to engulf them.

A/N:  Who's the Key, Aurora or Lily?  Will Lily survive the Crossing?

 Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 375 30
Currently being edited ~ 2023 Completed ~ 2021 Aurora is destined for greatness or at least that is what is believed by every witch in the Netherland...
711K 28.4K 33
By the age of sixteen, all elves are claimed by one of the six Gods and inherit some of their abilities. There is Aria (air), Lionel (earth), Kalama...
826K 35.4K 57
Welcome to the Empire. Where the Prophecy is law, and betrayal is the only way to survive it. ...
179K 5.5K 35
Farren was told to never go beyond the borders that separated her town from the woodland. Hearing stories of people who cross the border and never co...