The Cinderella | Wattys 2016

By penguinnlovee

Once upon a time, in the city of Seattle lived a shy, sarcastic yet an adorable girl by the name, Grace Johns... More

Prologue.
1.
2.
3.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Her Serendipity
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Part One
Chapter Thirty Nine: Part Two
Facts & Behind the Scenes
Epilogue

Alternative Ending

29.3K 896 545
By penguinnlovee

-Alternative Ending-

The sound of the door opening made me divert my attention towards the doctor who walked out. I hurriedly sprinted towards her and let out a breathless sigh. "Doc, how's my girlfriend?" I asked desperately.

Emily and Maya stood right behind me, looking impatiently at the doctor as Damon who had Alyssa in her arms, slowly trotted his way towards us. Apprehension was being radiated from all of us, as the pace of my heartbeats was slowly yet incessantly rising due to all the suspense and anxiety.

A small smile spread across her face as she took her hands in mine and gave it a slight squeeze, "She made it through the surgery, Mr. Evans. But she is unconscious, currently. The anesthesia will be out of her system in a few hours. You guys can relax." The doc said, put her hand on my shoulder in reassurance as she walked past us.

My shoulders slumped down as realization hit me and all the anxiety evaporated into thin air. I heaved out a sigh of relief, so did the others. Tears of relief rolled down my cheek as I fell down to my knees and closed my eyes. She's fine. She's absolutely fine. The heaviness of my heart faded away as I felt the girls lift me up by arms and wrapped themselves around me, as they too, cried out in mirth, "She's gonna be alright. Grace is gonna be fine." Emily squeaked, as her eyes were filled with tears of joy which made my suit wet.

"You guys should head home; I'll call you all when she's up." I said, wiping the tears near the brim of my eyes. I turned towards Damon and carefully took Alyssa in my arms, whose fists were balled up tight and eyes shut, as her chest rose and fell slowly. I smiled down at my daughter and tenderly kissed her forehead. "Damon," I said, lifting my gaze towards him who was uncertain about leaving me alone. "Go home. We will be fine." I assured him. He wordlessly nodded his head and gave me a handshake as he smiled one last time and turned around. The three walked in the opposite direction, waving at me one last time before they disappeared out of my sight.

I walked over to Grace's room and through the windows, my eyes landed on her sleeping figure. Her body was attached by different wires to the machines that were supporting her, that were keeping a track on heart rate. A smile grew on my face, as my eyes were fixated on the person who owned my heart. Even though her eyes were closed, even if her eyes were not fixated on me, even if she was not in my arms, I was happy. I was happy about the fact that it is not long enough before I'd have both my girls in my arms, the two women I love the most with all my heart.

-

Grace's POV:

I could feel heaviness over my eyelids. I tried opening my eyes but I couldn't. I was trapped within my own body. Panic struck me as I tried moving my limbs, but nothing. All of a sudden, my eyes fluttered open and I could move my hand. My fingers touched something soft and silky, making me turn my eyes towards it. My breathing became heavy as my hand landed on Blake's face, who sleeping soundly on the chair, his head rested on the bed.

Suddenly, blurry images flashed across my eyes; the ones when I was hit by the car, when the boy was looking down at me horror before ran to his car and drove away, when Blake had me in his arms and was crying to me to stay awake. In an instant, all the serenity was washed away and clouds of apprehension surrounded me. My hands, in an instinct, made their way towards my stomach but she was gone. My lips began quivering in trepidation. "Aly..Alyssa." I whispered.

Blake, who was asleep a few moments ago, was up, as he looked at me with a huge grin on his face, "Grace? Oh, my god, you're up." He merrily hollered. He took my hand in his and kissed the back of it, before kissing my forehead. He cupped my cheeks as he looked at me lovingly.

But all I could think about was of Alyssa. I remember falling onto my stomach, the pain shooting through me. Ominous thoughts swirled in my mind as the possibilities popped up in the back of my head. "Blake," I whispered in desperation. "Alyssa, my baby. She's not here, Blake. She's not here." I said softly, as my hands were rested on my flat stomach. My breathing became heavier as the panic coursed through my waves.

But Blake held me down by my shoulders, restricting me from any further movements. He was eerily quiet as he looked down at me. He brushed some strands of hair that were lingering on my face, away and tucked them behind my ear as he softly smiled, "Hey, hey, she is fine. Our daughter is fine." He said, continuing to caress my cheeks.

I heaved out a sigh of relaxation. The excitement to finally see her was bubbling within me. I tried getting up but I couldn't. I felt pain all over my body; I looked at Blake and he immediately slid his hand behind my back and helped me sit up in the bed. He then sat next to me, taking both my hands in his and rubbed his thumb over the back of my hand. He was yet dressed in his tux and even though he didn't exactly look tidy at the moment, he looked fine enough to make my heart race, like he always does.

I vividly remember how we broke up at the prom, after seeing the video of the security tape. I remember him telling me that he didn't love me. And that's when the culpability overlapped the physical pain that I was undergoing. "Blake, I understand you don't want to do anything with me but-"

"Shut up." Blake interrupted me. My eyebrows knitted up in confusion as he leaned forward and placed his lips against my cheeks for good minute, making me even more bewildered than before. "I'm sorry, baby. I'm so sorry." He said, the smile flipping down in a guilty frown. I looked at me, being incongruous to what he was talking but he anyway continued, "I didn't mean anything I said. I love you, I really do." He stuttered.

"Blake." I sighed. I wrapped my arms around his neck and sniffed in his cologne in delight. He instantly engulfed me in his arms and buried his head in the crook of my neck. I felt his body relax and so did mine, as we sat in the same position. It had been a very little time since I had been in Blake's arms but yet it felt like forever. A smile of satisfaction made its way across my face as I tightened my arms around him. "I love you, Blakey." I mumbled, enjoying the moment. I was afraid that this moment would disappear into oblivion and we would be back to the night when he broke up.

He pulled away from me and kissed the tip of my nose and touched our foreheads together, both of us breathing heavily and erratically. "You have no idea how much you freaked out all of us." He whispered, letting his fingers roam through my messed tresses. "Promise me to never leave me?" He asked with a queer kind of fear clouded around him.

"I never will." I mumbled, raising both my hands up to the level of his face and cupping his cheeks. He closed his eyes and clamped his hand over mine. "I'm sorry, Blake." I whispered. Blake's eyes fluttered open and he gave my hand a slight squeeze. "I didn't want you to think of me as an easy lay." I said with a humorless laugh.

"Hey," Blake interrupted me, "You're not an easy lay but definitely a hot one." Blake joked. I hit his shoulder playfully to which he simply chuckled as grabbed my arms and held them down, preventing me from hitting him further. "Grace, I really don't appreciate you deciding to hide the fact about something so important from me till so long." He said, as his forest green eyes boring into my dark blue ones. "Promise me no secrets from now, Grace. Things will be crystal clear?" He asked.

I nodded my head frantically in affirmation, like my life depended on it, "Cross my heart and hope to die." With that, Blake brought my face closer to his and pressed his lips against mine, setting fire to my body and making me forget about all the pain and worry. Most of all, I felt complete.

Maybe some low-blows are important for making a bond stronger, to make them unbreakable and irreplaceable.

Blake got up from his position before placing a chaste kiss on my lips and walked over to the cradle that was placed a little away from my bed and lifted Alyssa carefully in his arms. My excitement knew no limits as he took quick strides towards where I sat. My eyes sparkled with delirium, happiness and pride as Blake handed over Alyssa who was wrapped in a pink cloth. A gasp escaped my mouth when I held her in my arms for the first time. My heart soared with happiness as I took in my baby's appearance.

I felt the brim of my eyes become wet as I tenderly kissed my daughter's forehead and sappily smiled at her sleeping figure. I marveled at the thought of how we ordinary individuals have the power of creating a new life, giving birth and bringing them to the world which is so beautiful. "My baby." I whispered to myself, and kissed her nose.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Blake smiling at me. "We've made an angel, huh?" He asked with a small laugh. He scooted closer to where I was, and touched her soft cheeks. I smiled and nodded my head in agreement.

I am ready to go through anything, if I could live this moment forever, without any constraint. And I was living it until we were rudely interrupted by our infamous best-friend who was standing by the doorstep of the room with a wide grin on his face, as Maya and Emily stood behind him, "And I was hoping for some naked action." He winked.

-

It was a pleasant morning but not any ordinary morning as Maya and Emily were pacing around my bedroom and fighting over what dress I should possibly wear. Today was the graduation ceremony and we would be officially done with high-school. "No, that won't go with her hair color!" Emily grunted, as she threw a blue off-shoulder dress that Maya had picked out, away on the bed.

"And you want her to wear a red one with red hair. Your taste sure has fallen apart." Maya commented, rolling her eyes at Emily. I heaved out a sigh as the two continued bantering and insulting the other person's taste in fashion. I silently walked over to my wardrobe and pulled out a black full-sleeved dress that Blake had gifted me, when we went on our first date, post Alyssa. I smiled to myself as I reminiscence the evening we spent together, watching movies and then making love, this time, with protection.

I quietly made my way past the two and locked the washroom while they were yet bantering. I slipped over the dress and pulled the zipper up. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and smiled. My hand made its way to my stomach as I patted it a couple of times. It felt so queer to not be carrying another life within me. I had grown used to being a walking whale for the past few months and all of sudden it's gone. I am not the same as I was before having Alyssa, physically as well as a person altogether.

The post pregnancy weight had given me the curvaceous look, which all my friends seemed to love and admire, especially Blake. It made me giggle to myself how he'd have to control himself around me, whenever we're surrounded by people. However, I had chopped my breast length hair to a medium length bob and dyed it a dark shade of red. This was like a rebirth of me and I wanted to start it with a fresh and new look.

I twisted the knob of the door of the washroom and stepped out. The girls were surprisingly quiet as Emily was fixing her braid while Maya was busy texting, probably Sarah, as she lied lazily on my bed. I cleared my throat in order to attract their attention. Their eyes snapped in my direction and a satisfied smile made it's way across their faces. "Perfect." Emily sighed; clasping her hands together as she admiringly took in my view.

"I swear you've become hotter, Grace. You look like a hot mama." Maya whistled and winked in my direction. I laughed at her compliment and quickly thanked her. I quickly put some mascara and lip-balm and I was good to go.

We squeaked like those delirious twelve year-olds and embraced each other in a group hug. Time flew away quickly. It feels like when we had entered high-school, it was only yesterday. It feels like yesterday when I'd secretly fan-girl over Blake and how I'd write about him every night in my diary, or dream of going to Senior Prom with him.

And those dreams came true. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that one night would change my life upside down, for good.

Maybe getting drunk beyond your senses, once in a while is not so bad after all.

-

Damon proudly made his way towards the stage, upon being called to deliver the Valedictorian's Speech. No, this time his hacking talents didn't earn him the spot, he truly deserved it. Emily blew him a kiss to which Damon simply winked, from the stage. He checked the microphone, before he cheekily smiled at the audience in general.

"Good morning to our respected principal, trustees, faculty members, my fellow compeers and our dear parents.

Today is the day that we all have been looking forward to, ever since we entered high school; grab our diplomas and get the hell out in the world that has been waiting for us. I'd sincerely like to thank the school and the management for giving us the opportunity to help us achieve our goals, subjugate our demons and most of all, evolve as a better human being.

A big fat thank you to our parents, for their constant love and support and always being there by our side. As we grow up, we tend to grow apart from our parents. We are more interested in knowing the progress of the love life of our friends than to know how our parents are doing or is their boss yet being an ass to them. I'm sure most of us will be moving out soon, and even going states away to attend college. So make the most of your time to let your parents know how much you love them and how they mean the world to you. The smile that'd form on their faces would be enough to brighten up the darkness that surrounds you.

As we will be stepping foot into the real world, there is no guarantee for success. There might come times as such when you'd feel like giving up on what you are pursuing, or maybe have a fall out with your best-friend or your partner. Maybe you'd have a change of mind when you realize where your interests truly lie. At that time, do not lose hope. Those might seem like the darkest phase of your life but keep in mind that the brightest mornings only come after darkest nights.

So go out, do what you've been dreaming to do, fall in and make love, inspire someone and be the reason for someone's smile, because life is too short to worry over trivial things that hold miniscule importance. Thank you."

Applauds exploded in the crowd, Blake got up hooted a couple of times, before I pulled him down to his seat. Damon grinned toothily on the stage as he waved at the crowd puffing his chest as he stood like a superhero on the stage. His moment of happiness was short lived when the principal pulled him away to the side as he began with the distribution of diplomas.

As my name was called out, I took a deep breath in and took long strides towards the stage. Damon, who was standing by the principal's side, winked at me and gave me a thumbs-up. I shook hands with the principal who congratulated me and turned towards my family, who were seated in the audience. Cassidy was hooting as she clapped her hands while mom smiled at me with pride, with Alyssa in her hand. I mouthed 'I love you' to them before I made my way down.

Blake took me in his arms for a hug and whispered in my ear, "You made it."

"We made it." I rectified. And it was true. We made it through the tribulations that lied in our path. We made it through the ups and downs. As the ceremony came to an end, all of us hugged each other and promised to keep in touch, since each and everyone will be in different parts of the country, for college. I, however will be taking a year's break and stay back with Alyssa and then apply for culinary school, when I have saved enough funds.

Emily will be heading off to LA to study designing while Damon is going to Stanford for his undergrad course while Maya will be going to the community college where Sarah is taking classes. Blake wanted to stay back with Alyssa and I, but upon everyone's consistent persuasion, he'll be soon heading off to New York to attend business school.

"High school is officially done." Emily grinned. Damon kissed the side of her head and in an instant, she relaxed into his arms. As we spoke about the farewell barbecue that Emily is going to host, I saw a certain blonde we hate by all our hearts, walk towards us, with his diploma in his hand.

My body tensed upon seeing him nearing us. Maya, who had her arm snaked around my waist, sensed my apprehension and her eyes travelled towards Xavier, her smile being replaced by a menacing glower. "Can I borrow you for a minute, Grace?" Xavier asked, as he stood at a safe distance from us.

"Can I kick you in the nuts, asswipe?" Damon countered, as he stood in front of me protectively. He glanced back at Blake who was busy talking with Liz, Cass and my mom while he had Alyssa in his arms. Xavier, however, decided to ignore Damon and looked at me in the eye, silently asking for my permission.

I squirmed out of Maya's grip on me. Maya and Emily looked bewilderingly at me as I walked past them towards Xavier. However, Damon held me by my wrist, "You almost died because of this mutt, Grace. I'm not letting you go with him, even if he just wants to talk."

I smiled at him, "I'll be fine, Damon." And with that, I yanked my hand out of his grip and walked a little away from them. I could feel their eyes concentrated on us, but I looked at Xavier questioningly.

He scratched the back of neck while his head hung down. "I wanted to talk about the Prom Night." He stated lowly.

"You mean the night I almost lost my daughter and boyfriend? Go on, Xavier." I glowered at him, not caring to cut my hostility down a notch. Had this not been a graduation ceremony, I would have beaten this cunt to pulp, with some assistance of course. "Look, I don't have all day."

"I was a dick, the other night." He began. "I was just angry that you helped Emily discover about me screwing around with Lana. I was angrier when I saw her with Martins. Maybe how happy she was with him made me fume even more because Emily was never so mirthful with me around. But what made me mad was the fact that you happily got together with Blake, after breaking my relationship." He said.

"I had a very good reason to." I rebutted with a scoff.

"I know." He sighed. "I realized how Emily is special to me, after we broke up. I realized I love her when I'd see you all hang out, happily. I became mad with revenge. I realized you guys managed to delete the security tape from my cell phone but I had one saved in my computer. I wanted to ruin your relationship, just like you ruined mine and so I pulled the stunt at Prom." He muttered.

"And you are explaining this to me because?" I asked him bewilderingly.

"Because I didn't know that would land you up in the hospital and endanger you and your daughter. I swear, Grace I just wanted to create problems between you and Evans. This was the last thing that I expected to happen." He said, guilt floating in his voice.

"But it happened, didn't it?" I spat.

"And that is why I want to apologize for all the damage that I have caused. I'm sorry, Grace. I want to go to college with a fresh start and guilt-free." He said, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his jeans and looked pleadingly at me.

"Look, I appreciate you coming up to me and um, apologizing but I really don't know if I can forgive you. I've been through some unforgettable shit and I really don't think I can give you want you want. But, um, have a good life and don't let revenge for something corrupt your mind." I said, my face devoid of any emotion. Xavier, half heartedly nodded and I turned around on my heels to return back to the gang as they worriedly looked at me.

"What did that ass want?" Maya asked, as her glare was fixated on Xavier.

"Nothing that should worry you all." I smiled in reassurance. Blake walked over with Alyssa and pecked my lips lightly. Our mothers and Cass followed him and instructed us to stand together for a group picture. I took Alyssa in my arms, from Blake, who was looking around with her big blue eyes. "Hey, sweetie." I cooed, placing a quick kiss on her cheek. She gaped at me for a moment but then smiled, making my heart melt.

Blake nudged me to stand in the center, Blake on my right and Damon on my left. "Flash your teeth and say cheese." Cass said, as she switched her camera on.

And we smiled, not only at the camera but also at the uncertain future that lies ahead of. Even if I don't know how the coming days are going to be, I was certain about the fact that the journey is going to be worth it, with all these amazing people by my side.

With Blake and Alyssa by my side.

Playing Cinderella was not so bad after all.

So here was the alternative ending since everyone was ready to stab me in the eye for killing their favorite protagonist. I hope this chapter brought a smile to your face. However, 'Her Serendipity' follows the concept of the original ending of this story.

Have a lovely Saturday and stay blessed.

Love, Sanjana x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5M 641K 63
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
613K 15.6K 27
She likes him. He likes her. Everybody knows except them. Will Mr. Popularity & the Nerd fall in love?
240K 13.3K 40
"Her dying wish was for me to complete her list, and I wasn't going to stop until it was completed." When Alyssa Morrison loses her little sist...
29.3K 893 20
Ella and Clin were the freak couple of high school. The two people that always wore band shirts and black ended up together. Both had depression, bot...