Roman Roommate

By GermanSam

Greek Mythology. Third installment in the Cupid series! Evie wants nothing to do with the romance business... More

1 - Partying Pooper
2 - British Blue Jay
3 - Backward ABC
4 - The Boss's Son
5 - Sister Phone Calls
6 - Broken Mirrors
7 - The Softer Side
8 - Normalities with Oddities
9 - It's Not Just A Planet
10 - Cupids Reunite
11 - Brotherly Advice
12 - Lunch Outing
13 - Lean on Me
14 - Unexpected Company
15 - The Team Tries to Work
16 - Surprising Skills
18 - Meet the Parents
19 - Let's Chat
20 - Roman VS Greek
21 - If Only For A Week
22 - Mama Bear's In Town
23 - One Morning Together
24 - Two Against One
25 - The Bloody L Word
26 - A Day to Remember
27 - True Intentions
28 - Kiara and Kovu
29 - Jay's POV
30 - Valentine's Ball Part 1
31 - Valentine's Ball Part 2
Epilogue
Attention: Last Installment!

17 - Come with Me

84.5K 1.5K 148
By GermanSam

"Seriously?"

"I'm not even kidding!"

"I totally suspected that Heather was a squeezer," I mumbled sipping lightly at my coke. I laughed so hard envisioning all the groping Jay must have gone through. "You were one hot product today. No girl in that place wanted to take their hands off of you!"

"All except for one," Jay agreed staring down at me. I blushed and kept my eyes down on my burger. We had just decided to head to the closest food place and we found a Burger King first. I had my Whopper sandwich sitting in front of me unwrapped. Jay had the same but he had his fries spilled out on a napkin and was dipping them in his vanilla shake.

"You were definitely a hit. I bet they will all be so sad when you aren't there next week."

"What about you?"

I frowned not understanding his question. "What about me? I'm used to working without you."

"I'm moving out of your place on Sunday and into my mom's. That's when the renovations are supposed to be done," Jay explained.

It took a moment for that to sink in. Oh yeah, that roommate deal was only temporary which meant that it had to end eventually.

"Oh...right."

"Are you going to miss me?"

I snorted waving him away. "Obviously not. You've been nothing but a pain in my side."

Jay frowned seeming unhappy with that answer.

"I was kidding," I added. "Of course I'll miss your company. You know we spent so much time together."

Jay seemed to pick up on my sarcasm.

"Our schedules never matched up."

I nodded fully understanding what he meant. "Oh, I know. It's not that big of deal. We knew this was a limited thing from the beginning. I actually anticipated never seeing you at all and that would've been fine for me given our history together."

Jay nodded unsure of what to add. We continued eating in a nice silence. I proceeded to begin people watching the people around our table and the small fast food joint.

"I'm sorry."

My hazel eyes met with Jay's light blue ones. I know my confusion showed as I swallowed the bite of food in my mouth.

"For what?"

"That night," he answered referring to what I had mentioned before. "It wasn't right of me. I took advantage of the fact that you were drunk and it was wrong. I'm sorry."

I studied him for a moment not doubting his serenity but wondering what he wanted from all of this. Did he expect me to say that it was alright? Or that it was a moment of weakness for us both?

"Thank you," I settled for instead. "That's awfully kind of you to say so."

Jay nodded and went back to eating.

"I'm also sorry for this last minute stuff. I don't usually bring my dates to such extravagant places just the second time we go out."

I laughed at him and briefly my mother and Eros's warning came into my head. I shouldn't mess with this guy. Why? Because he was Roman? Porus's voice also reminded me not to look into Roman mythology because I wouldn't like I found. Granted, I wasn't excited with the new information but I was happy that I knew it.

I finished up my food and scrunched up the wrapper into a tight ball before tossing it aside. Jay finished up his burger as well and he started much later than I did. I watched him unsure of what was to come after all of this.

"Thank you for lunch and for helping me today. You were amazing."

Jay smiled at my compliment as he gathered up all his trash as well. He held out his hand for mine and went to toss it all in the nearest trashcan while I stayed put in our booth. As he returned to his seat, he looked at me expectantly as if asking if I was ready to go. I leaned on my hand and smile toward him.

"You are not what you appear to be."

Jay sat back in the booth when he realized that we had reached a serious conversation. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"I don't know," I admitted truthfully. "When I first saw you, I thought you looked kind of well creepy. Then you spoke and turned around and I must say you were extremely attractive in a bad boy kind of way. Then I thought you were a complete pretentious jerk when I got to know you but now, I know that you are really sweet on the inside."

Jay seemed surprised by all of this news yet he appeared pleased with the outcome of my little story.

"You always seemed beautiful to me," he admitted. "Then I got to know you and I learned that you were spiteful and picky but cute and adorable all the same."

I grinned and blushed at his words avoiding his eyes. "Um...should we head home?"

Jay agreed and we caught a cab back to my apartment. We continued with small talk about dance, cooking, food, or whatever we wanted all the way until we were outside my door and were greeted by an unexpected guest.

"Oh hi Carmen," I called out when I spotted her.

"Goodness there you two are," she breathed out. She gave Jay a quick hug which he returned just a quickly.

"Are you alright?" I asked as I got my key out and opened my door. We all quickly stepped inside and I turned to Carmen worried now that she had been waiting for us to return.

"It's not that big of a deal but well...I headed over to my place today and it is just a total mess. They have the whole block's water shut down because of my plumbing. Things aren't going to be resolved this weekend. Do you think that maybe you could host Blake for just another week or so?" Carmen asked explaining the situation quickly.

I smiled at her then at Jay. I spoke to Carmen but I kept my gaze on those lovely light blue eyes. "Sure, he's welcome here anytime."

"Really?" Carmen gushed more than excited. She didn't seem to notice that neither of us where looking at her. "Oh well then of course, are you alright with staying here Blake?"

"Yeah," he agreed breaking our eye contact. "We've only just gotten to know each other. Leaving now would be such a shame." He winked at me and I grinned back sharing the secret conversation with him.

"I'm glad you two are getting along so well. I was worried that you two might be from completely different worlds or something," Carmen continued.

My grin broadened. I couldn't seem to help catch all these references to mine and Jay's past. It was like Carmen knew what had been going on between us.

"Somehow we tend to make it work," I said.

Jay smirked but he was standing behind Carmen so she couldn't see him anyway. "It's required some effort on both our parts."

"Oh that's fabulous news," Carmen gushed clapping her hands together. "Do you want to go out for some dinner Blake?"

She turned to face Jay and kept her back to me. I met his eyes and crossed my arms waiting for his response. He rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortable with the situation.

"Actually, Evie and I just came back from eating."

"Oh?" Carmen sounded disappointed and my heart practically broke for her. It was like she had her baby taken away from her again. Goodness she certainly knew how to make someone feel horrible.

"I'm sure you two can still go out and do something," I suggested hopefully. "There are only a million and one things to do in the city."

Jay seemed hurt by the fact that I was trying to get rid of him. I sent him an apologizing look and motioned to his mother. She was more important than I was.

"Do you want to come with us Evie?" Jay offered.

Carmen turned to face me with a blank expression as she waited for my reaction. I shook my head quickly. "No, no. You two go on ahead. I'll be here when you get back."

I tried to send them both a reassuring smile. Carmen accepted it while Jay seemed unsure. He nodded though once he mother turned back to face him.

"Bowling perhaps? Or a movie?" Jay suggested lamely trying to change the subject.

Carmen clapped her hands obviously pleased. I smiled to see her so happy. It was good that her son was able to make her this way.

"Have fun," I urged moving passed them to go to my couch. Jay cast one last longing glance back toward me then he left trailing behind his mother. I sighed sinking into my couch after the long day. This was certainly not how I had expected this week to go.

My mother and Eros were completely wrong about Jay. I couldn't believe they told me to stay away from him. What did they know? It's not like they lived with him. I doubted that they even knew about his world. I did think that they both judged him just because he's Roman and his dad is the Hades equivalent.

I mumbled my distaste as I drifted off to sleep. I woke up just an hour later with a start. I hadn't remembered actually closing my eyes. I sighed as I heaved myself up and cooked some dinner. Theo met me in the kitchen as he heard me messing around.

I gave him a few pats on the head and made him move off the counter. He hopped back up there right after I set him down. I gave him a glare but he ignored me and just began licking his paw. I attempted to push him off the counter but he barely even registered my force.

I shook my head while scowling at him then continued to make myself something to eat. I settled on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to make things easier for myself. I moved from my kitchen to head back into my living room but I was met in the hallways by Jay who was opening the door as I emerged from the kitchen.

He smiled in a greeted and I smile back even with the food in my mouth. I quickly swallowed it and waved to him. "Did you have fun?"

"You could've come with us, you realize."

I nodded taking another bite of my sandwich. "I know but it's your mother and son time. I didn't want to be a third wheel."

"You wouldn't have been," Jay assured as he took of his shoes and jacket. I shrugged uncaringly and continued on my path to my sofa once again. Jay followed me slowly but only stood behind the sofa while he watched me eat. I felt a little unnerved by his stare so I raised an eyebrow for a silent question.

"I've been thinking about our...um relationship."

I frowned as I finished off the crust of my sandwich. I didn't care much for the sound of where this was going.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Jay swallowed hard before continuing. "We shouldn't get too attached with each other. It's not good for either of us."

This only confused me further. I thought he was going to go in the opposite direction here. "We're not doing anything but hanging out. Are you saying that you want to stop?"

"No," Jay paused catching himself. "I mean, yes. Maybe? I don't know!"

I stood and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder while giving him an encouraging smile.

"There's nothing going on between us but a simple friendship and when it's time for you to go we will depart on good terms, right?"

Jay kept his eyes downcast but he mumbled a low agreement.

"I want you to come with me tomorrow."

Jay met my eyes again to simply ask me what I was talking about.

"To my parent's house," I explained further. "They host a dinner once a week; remember? I want you to come with me."

"You think I'm ready to deal with your family?"

I laughed. "We'll find out. I don't think they'll be too harsh on you. Like you said, it's all butterflies and rainbows, right?"

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Surprise random Wednesday update? Yeah, I figured why not? I thought it might make someone's week. I just love Jay and can you believe he's going to officially meet the family in the next chapter? You'll have to wait until this weekend! Dun dun dun...

I hope you enjoyed the surprise!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

292 13 11
An Enemies to Lovers Story A young bartender meets two strangers in his bar. He is drawn towards them but is just as wary. On the other hand, his sis...
13.4K 1.2K 32
When a cupid is tasked with setting up the woman he has feelings for, he decides instead to sabotage her matches while he uncovers why the Fates are...
41.3K 1.8K 53
After seventeen years of not quite fitting in, everything is about to change for Noel. With monsters, gods, cars and impromptu prophecies, this is th...
6.6K 91 33
"It's hard to say when I fell in love with Liam Sheppard. It could be when he returned after three long years and confessed that he loved me. It coul...