Stand by You

By khgirl678

Alchemy is the understanding the structure of matter, decomposing it, and then reconstructing it into somethi... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII

VIII

2.6K 99 10
By khgirl678

After spending another hellish day on the train, we finally arrived at Resembool. I was the first one to leap out of the train and dance across the fields, arm out, breathing in the fresh air. "It must be nice being back in Resembool," Alphonse laughed as Major Armstrong unloaded him from the train.

"The nostalgia," I sighed. We walked down an all-to-familiar dirt path up to a house. In front of the house, you could see a wooden board with the word AUTOMAIL painted on. Den, the Rockbell's dog, barked at seeing us, as he wasn't welcome to new guests. Granny Pinako came out to see what all the commotion was about. Seeing Edward, she turned her head up and yelled at the floor above her. "Winry! Winry!" She shouted. "Our best customer is here!"

"Yo, Granny, " Edward waved at her.

"We're home!" Alphonse yelled.

"My word, what have you gotten into?" She asked, examining Edward's missing limb.

"A lot has happened," Edward laughed. "Can you set us up again?"

Armstrong put the crate down and held out his hand to shake it. "This is Major Armstrong," Edward introduced as Granny Pinako and him shook hands.

"Pinako Rockbell," she said.

When she caught sight of me, her jaw dropped. "Evelyn? Evelyn Joyce? Is that you?" She asked.

"Yup," I laughed, nodding.

"Now, this really is a surprise! Are you tagging along with their journey?"

"No, I'm just their bodyguard."

Granny  Pinako smiled and nodded respectfully at me before turning back to Edward. "You know, I didn't see you for a while Ed, and you've gone and grown smaller," she commented.

Edward popped a vein at being called small. "Hey!" He growled through gritted teeth. "Usually in this situation, you say 'grown bigger'!"

"If you had grown bigger, I would have said it," she fired back, glasses gleaming.

"What was that, you minimum hag?" Edward shouted.

A spinning wrench fly from the sky and I ducked, avoiding it as it hit Edward square on the forehead. Perfect timing. Winry appeared on the balcany. "I told you, when you come back for maintenance, call first!" She reminded.

"Winry, are you trying to kill me?" He shouted.

She laughed, "Welcome ba--" her jaw dropped at the site of my. "EVELYN, YOU'RE HERE?!" She screeched.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Guess it really did turn out to be a surprise."

*~*~*~*~*~

Edward laid out the remains of his automail that he picked up after the fight with Scar. "Oh, no!" Winry wailed, gingerly picking up some of the pieces and cradling them.

"Sorry, it got a bit smashed up," Edward apologized sheepishly as he took a sip from his cup.

"A little smashed up Ed, a little?! Ed, don't you see what you've done to my beautiful creation that I slaved over?!"

"It's the same thing, only in smaller pieces!"

Angry at Edward's calm reaction, she punched him across the cheek. Glancing at Alphonse, she sneered, "Don't tell me-are you a little smashed up as well? What sort of trouble you two been up to?"

Alphonse refused to respond so she gave him a good swift kick and knocked him out of the crate he was in. "Geez, all you ever do is worry me," she scoffed, putting her hands on her hips.

Edward got up and began explaining the situation to Granny Pinako. Meanwhile, Winry came up and squeezed me in a bear hug. "Oh, Evelyn, I am so happy to see you again!" She sighed.

"Wirny..." I gasped. "Can't...breathe..."

She let go of me and I deflated. "Geez, you really do have a grip," I gasped.

"It's from all the work I do!" She grinned at me. "How's Grace doing?"

"Oh...she's studying aboard in Xing."

"Wow, that far away? She really is lucky!"

"She is."

Winry examined the arm. "So, Ed and Al gotten you into trouble as well?" She asked.

"Um...a little bit," I muttered. Winry's gaze went stern and I stammered, "It's only a sprain!"

"I see," Granny Pianko cut in, placing her pipe onto a ashtray. '"So, in order to get that information you want to go to Central as soon as possible?"

"Yeah," Edward nodded. "We'd like you to put a rush on this."

Granny Pinako bent down and pulled up the pant leg, revealing an automail leg. It not just his arm, but his leg as well that's made of metal?! "It's not just the arm, your leg needs adjusting, too," she added.

"Oh, because he's grown so much, right?" Winry teased.

"Shut up!" Edward snapped.

"The leg aside, we'll have to build the arm from scratch," she said.

"Can you have it done in a week?" Edward pleaded.

"Give us some credit," Granny Pinako scoffed. "Three days."

She took off Edward's leg and put a spare leg she had for patients. "Make do with this spare for now," she told him.

Edward stood up but stumbled. I rushed to his side and helped him up with my good arm. "Sure is hard to walk on a leg I'm not used to," he grunted.

"We'll be finished before you're used to it," she assured him.

"That being said, between machining, assembly, connecting, and finishing, I'll be pulling nothing but all-nighters," Winry sighed.

"Sorry to ask so much of you," Edward sighed.

"You want to get to Central as soon as possible, right? Fine then, I'll overwork myself for you. But in return, you're going to pay a bundle of rush order fees."

*~*~*~*~*~

Sitting inside the house, I watched Granny Pinako work on Edward's leg. Major Armstrong came in, shirtless, ducking underneath the doorway since he was so tall. He was just busy outside punching logs into bits to be used as firewood. "I am finished," He announced.

"Oh, thanks," Granny Pinako sated, going back to Edward's leg.

"I don't see Edward Elric around."

"Yeah.  He said he was going to visit his mother's grave."

There was a awkward pause. Before I excused myself from here, Granny Pinako cut in, "Major, what kind of lives are those boys leading? They never send us a single letter."

"They are alchemists who are well-known, even in Central," Armstrong filled her in as he leaned against a wall, buttoning his shirt back up. "They also seem to find trouble as a result of it. Oh, but they're all right. Those brothers are strong."

"Strong, huh?' Granny Pinako chuckled. "I sure hope so."

Major Armstrong took interest in the corkboard filled to the brim with photos. He picked up one with Winry clinging both onto a unwilling Edward and Alphonse while Grace and I were in the back. Trisha, Edward and Alphonse's mother, and Granny Pianko were also viable in the background. "Mrs. Pinako, are the two of them as well as Evelyn like grandchildren to you?" Armstrong asked.

"I've been watching over all of them ever since they were born. Ed and Al's father was my drinking buddy, once. But one day, he just vanished from the village, leaving his wife and two children behind. I don't even know whether or not he's alive now."

"Come to think of it, where are Miss Winry's parents?" Armstrong asked.

"They died in the Ishvalan Civil War," she replied bitterly. "My son-her parents were surgeons. They went off to the battlefield, what with the lack of doctors. "

"It was a terrible war."

"Indeed it was." After a few more minutes of silence, Granny Pinako glanced at the grandfather clock. "Oh, it's just about time to start supper," she commented, hopping off the stool she sat on. "You look like you eat a lot, so it makes it worth cooking."

"Oh, no, I couldn't let you trouble yourself over me," Major Armstrong politely assured.

"Food tastes better when everyone eats together," she added, ignoring Major Armstrong's last comment. "There's some spare bedding, and the patient's bed is available so you can use them. Those brothers don't have anywhere else to stay but here, either. Having one more makes no difference."

"What about their home?" I asked her.

"They don't have one," she replied. "Those boys have no home to return to. they day they left, after Ed got his state certification, they burned their house down. They probably did it so that they couldn't turn back, without a home to come home to."

She took a whiff of her pipe as I sat quietly. Burning down their home? How much have I missed from these two boys and their lives?. She turned to face me. "You've been quiet for quite some time, Evelyn," she smiled. "I almost forgot about your presence until you spoke up. It's usually Grace that is the quiet one. Did you two switch roles?"

"Huh?" I laughed. "Oh, no. I don't really have anything to say, that's why."

"How's Grace doing? She didn't come down after all."

"She's studying aboard in Xing." Major Armstrong shot me a look but I gave him a quick glare at the corner of my eye to tell him I'm sticking to that story.

"Xing?" Granny Pianko asked. "She is very lucky and very smart. Tell her I send her my best wishes."

"Will do."

"If you want, Evelyn, you're welcome to stay here--"

"Oh, no, I mustn't. I will go back to my house and stay there while I'm here. Don't worry, I'll be fine."

The door opened and Edward stepped in along with Den. "I'm home--!" He called.

"Edward Elric!" Major Armstrong wept comical tears, unable to hold back his emotions after what Granny Pinako told him about those two brothers. He grabbed Edward and wrapped him in a bear hug. I could hear his bones cracking from the hug. "Such immaculate love, to try and bring your mother back to life! Such tremendous love, to be willing to give up your own life to transmute your brother's soul! Such dreadful determination, to burn down the home that held so many memories for you, to cut off any retreat! Let me at least embrace you!"

He stripped and hugged Edward some more. "Stay back!" Edward screamed.  "Don't rub your chest on me! Stop!"

*~*~*~*~*~

After a few days, Winry was almost finished with Edward's arm. I was just feeding the chickens and now running for my life and the lead rooster chased after me while crowing. I screamed as I tripped, dropping the pail of feed. Deciding to forget it, I left it there and made a run for it, slamming the pen door shut. "Those chickens are evil!" I gasped.

"I told you," Granny Pinako smiled. "Show that you are aggressive and their leader Neville won't chase you down."

"Easier said than done!" I recovered from my near-death experience. "Where are Ed and Al?' I asked.

"Out in the fields with Den," she replied, gesturing her pipe at the two brothers.

I ran down the hill and approached the boys. "Morning," I said.

"Hey," Edward lazily waved back.

"Good morning," Alphonse nodded.

"Oh, yeah," Edward nodded, handing me a folded piece of paper. "We finally managed to write a letter to Grace. Send it when you get back to Central, okay?"

"Um...yeah," I nodded hesitatingly, taking the folded piece of paper and pocketing it.

Den got up and barked, so we turned to see Winry holding up Edward's new arm. "Sorry for the wait!" She called. "It's done!"

*~*~*~*~*~

Edward stood there, sweating as Granny Pinako and Winry prepared to reattach his automail limbs to his stumps. "Ready?" She asked.

"Yeah," Edward inhaled.

"One..." Granny Pinako started.

"Two..." Winry continued.

"Three!" they reattached his limbs and Edward flinched, gritting his teeth and grunting in pain.

"I hate that moment when the nerves connect, every time," he said weakly. "But once we get a Philosopher's Stone, I can kiss that pain goodbye!"

"I hate to lose our biggest source of income," Granny Pinako jokingly replied.

"Right," Winry added. "You don't have to overexert yourselves to get back to normal. Besides, isn't it nice?" She squealed. "The smell of oil, the hum of the bearings, the rugged yet beautiful form, whose design is based on anatomical engineering. How wonderful you are, automail! "

"Crazy gearhead," Edward muttered.

"Shut up, alchemy freak," she hissed.

As the two of them argued, I strut over to the stove. It powered on wood, which is why Armstrong had busied himself the past couple of days chopping a year's worth of firewood. Looking both ways to see if anybody noticed me, I threw the folded piece of paper into the fire, burning it.

After all, there's no reason to send a letter to a dead person.

*~*~*~*~*~

I sat at the table, sipping my coffee as Edward lazily sat across from me. He yawned, "I'm beat," she said, smacking his lips.

"Oh, yeah," Granny Pianko appeared out of no where. She threw a burned piece of paper at me. "Here, Evelyn. Watch what you're putting into the stove next time."

I cried out, realizing it was the letter I had attempted to burn this morning. It was dark yellow at the edges, some of the corners curled as they were burnt black. "Ha..." I laughed dryly. "Where did you get that from?"

"Evelyn, why did you try and burn the letter we wrote to Grace?" Alphonse asked.

"I...I...um...well..." I stammered. Everyone stared at me, waiting for an answer. I sighed. There was no use hiding it anymore. "I have a confession to make," I announced. "But, before I do so," I looked at the Elric brothers. "Once I'm done, I want you two telling me whatever I ask."

"Sure, whatever," Edward shrugged, lazily.

I sighed. "Here goes..." I muttered, taking my automail arm off the sling and letting it fall limply to my side. I puled up my sleeve of my jacket, revealing my metal arm.

Alphonse gasped, "No, Evelyn, you didn't--!"

"No, I didn't do the taboo," I assured the two brothers. "It's a different story. You guys remembered that train that left Resembool which derailed?" I asked.

"Yes," Edward nodded. "A lot of passengers from Resembool died, and we had a memorial for them all. We didn't go since I was recovering from surgery for my automail."

"Well, my sister was one of the dead people," I announced. "The train collapsed on her and she died." They all gasped again at the news. I pointed to my metal arm, "I was busy getting this. Some suitcases and part of the train fell on my left arm, shattering nearly all the bones and tearing muscle ligaments. If it did heal, I would be crippled. So, I had it amputated and replaced with automail."

"That's so..." Alphonse started.

"Horrible, I know," I wearily laughed.

"How are you able to preform alchemy with a transmutation circle?" Edward asked. "I've seen you blow up things without drawing a circle."

"That's because I got it tattooed on," I added, taking off my glove and revealing a circle on my palm. "There's another on here too..." I muttered, struggling to get my other arm on the table. I pulled the other glove off that and revealed a rough circle I carved on with a knife.

"Why is your left arm like that...?" Winry asked.

"Oh...during my fight with Scar he used alchemy on me and I haven't been able to feel my arm since."

She examined it and sighed, "Well, no wonder you can't feel anything out of it. Whoever you fought caused you to pop out your nerve screws, disabling you arm. You could use a small tune-up as well..."

"Oh, no need for you to worry about me!" I cried. "I have a mechanic back at Central-I'll get it fixed there."

"Nah, don't worry," Winry waved it off, popping my arm off. "I'll get it fixed in no time. Just give me a few hours, okay?"

She walked away and I turned back to face Edward. "Alright, your end of the bargain," I said. "I want to know why you are missing an arm and a leg and while Al is just a talking suit of armor."

"Alright," Edward sighed. "Shortly after you and Grace left, our mom passed due to a illness. Al and I tried to bring her back by committing human transmutation. I lost my left leg while Al lost his whole body. In order to bring him back, I bond his soul to a suit of armor in the basement we were in and lost my right arm as well."

We sat there in silence for a few minutes. "You know..." I gave a sad smile. "This is the first time I talked about Grace's death since it happened. And...y-you know..."

Tears welled up and poured out of my eyes as I began to cry. My body quivered as I covered my eyes with my one hand I had. "It really hurts!" I sobbed.

I felt a warm embrace and looked up to see Edward with his arms wrapped around me tight and Alphonse held the both of us in his metal arms. I cried for a few minutes, finally letting out my pent up grief from am these years. After calming down a bit, I wiped my eyes and sniffled. "Wow..." I sighed. "We really missed out on a lot in each other's lives during our absences. I guess there aren't any more secrets."

"Yup," Edward grinned. "No more secrets." Alphonse nodded in agreement.

*~*~*~*~*~

Early next morning, when Dawn stretched her fingers of rose across the night sky, we prepared to leave to get on the earliest train back to Central. Edward pulled his gloves back onto his hands. "Thanks for everything, Granny," Edward repeated.

"Sure," she nodded.

"Hey, where's Winry?" Alphonse asked.

"Let her rest," I told them. "She overworked herself for quite a few nights. That girl more than deserves a good night's rest."

"Want me to wake her?" Granny Pinako asked.

"Oh, that's okay, that's okay," Edward waved it off. "She'd just nag me about making sure to do maintenance and whatever. Bye."

"Hold on a second, all of you," Granny Pianko yelled. We turned back at her. "Come on back once in a while and have dinner with us," she reminded.

Alphonse and I nodded and Edward scoffed, "You want us to come all this way into the mountains just for dinner?"

The balcony door on the second floor opened and a sleepy Winry emerged. "Ed, Al, Evelyn," she yawned, waving at us. "Come back soon, okay?"

"Yeah," Edward sheepishly waved back.

As we continued back down the path, I turned around one last time. "Oh, and the next time you call my name," I told them. "It's Eve," I smiled.

"Evie," Edward corrected.

"You're not six!" I shouted at him.

"What?" He shrugged. "It's cute, and Grace and Hughes call you it all the time."

"Why you--" I growled, pouncing on him and we rolled down the path, wrestling and the others laughed as they watched us amusingly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 363 12
You and the Elric Brothers were great friends when you were younger. But after they attempted human transmutation, they burned their house down and l...
201K 7.4K 45
After leaving for ten years and not returning, y/n and Ed finally meet again. They team up once again. But will this pairing have no issues? Will the...
2K 63 12
Take a look at the secret notebook of Edward Elric, where you can follow the untold one-shot adventures of a discovery journey through the true meani...
1.5K 48 100
philosopher's stone was birth since a long time ago because of war and homoculus pushing to create it. *spoilers* war ended. Homonculus are dead. No...