Fearless Francesca

By emsinspire

It's 1516 and the Italian Renaissance is booming. Our story starts with two very young different people... More

Chapter One - Portrait Of Francesca
Chapter Two - Portrait of Giovanni
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten - Portrait of Clemente
Chapter Eleven - Pic of Maria
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen - Portrait of Annabelle
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Five

14K 540 18
By emsinspire

1516, November, House of Medici

Giovanni’s patience with Francesca hadn’t lasted long as his futile attempts to woo her fell short. She did not seek for his attention either. Although they had shared one sweet moment to the next, it wasn’t long lasting. In Giovanni’s life, his priority was still held by his lust for women. He disregarded his own promises and continued to seek out Annabelle for company. That evening, they had received an invitation to a ball where they were both expected to attend.

Francesca busied herself with Rita, distracting her thoughts from the prospects of dancing with her unfaithful husband.

“Will you be attending the dance tonight Rita?” Francesca asked hopefully.

“Oh I apologize but I can not. Stephen has business to attend to and I must stay home to watch the little one.”

Disappointed, Francesca let out a heavy sigh.

“Don’t be so crestfallen dear; you’ll meet many other lovely ladies in society.” Rita said as she continued to thread the needle.

“Just going to an event with Giovanni is unpleasant alone.” She murmured unhappily.

“Socialize with others then.” Rita said reassuringly.

“I suppose. I do not look forward to a night of painful dancing though.” She said shivering at the thought of continuous twirling.

“Prepare for blisters.” Rita said with a knowing smile.

Francesca groaned.

Giovanni had spent his day walking alone with peace. He had given up so easily at pursuing Francesca. He didn’t know how to make her happy as he watched her turn sour. He had given her many jewels, beautiful dresses but she was not impressed. He thought for a second. What could a woman like Francesca want? She could have everything she wanted but he had begun to notice her sadness when she was not accompanied with Rita or Mia.

It came to mind.

He smirked, he would defeat her. Succumb into a sweet smile.

His quiet footsteps walked off into the kitchen where he found Annabelle leaning over the pot stirring soup. He surprised her with a long kiss as she handed him the ladle. He nodded approvingly of the taste.

“My sweet, I have a favor to ask you.” Giovanni said as his own eyes found it to hers.

“What is it Giovanni?” Annabelle asked, willingly to do anything for him.

“Would you like to be Francesca’s handmaiden?” He said with his eyebrow raised.

Her immediate smile turned into a frown, “I do not like her. And she knows of our affairs.”

His face nodded, he hadn’t realized that Francesca had called Annabelle the whore that he had bedding but it wouldn’t do. It would be much more suitable if he found another girl. And that was what he decided to do.

That afternoon, he brought the new girl he had found. She was around twenty with her long brown locks tied up. Her eyes were the color of coal and she was equally as tall as Giovanni himself. He had discovered her by the church where she begged the coming and going men to give her a job. He did not care who she was but decided that she was a worthy gift to his wife. Her name was Sarah and had apparently been originally from the north.

The girl followed behind him in silence as Giovanni found his dear wife looking through her closet perhaps for that evening’s party. Her eyes narrowed as she noticed the girl.

“Francesca, I would like to present you with Sarah. She will be your maid. After all, you’ve always wanted company. Bother her instead of Rita.” He said roughly.

“No thank you.” She said, her eyes flashing with anger.

“You will accept because you have no other rights.” He sneered and walked out, leaving the door to close with a loud thud.

“Madam.” Sarah said with a curtsey, her eyes glued to the ground.

“What did he offer you for this!?” She said as she flung a vase onto the ground. “Are you here to spy on me!?” She screeched. Her face red, matching her hair.

“Please madam, I’m merely a beggar from the street looking for a job.” The girl said as she began to pick up the broken glass.

Francesca had her eyes glued onto her new maid. She watched the girl pick up each shard in silence. Even when there was a faint red mark from a possible cut, she swallowed any ounce of pain. She quickly disappeared to dispose the broken shards. But returned quickly.

“What can I do for you madam?” She whispered. Her head bowed and awaiting orders.

“Fetch me some hot water for a bath.” She muttered as she set forth the gown for that evening onto her bed.

Sarah was efficient and arrived with a steaming tub of water. The sleeves of her dress were rolled up and sweat trickled from her forehead as she tugged and set it onto the ground. The water was still warm and let off some steam vapor. Francesca stripped down as she climbed into the tub. Another bowl was used with rags and contained soaps.

To Francesca’s surprise, the girl began to dutifully scrub her hair without any tugging. The soap was quickly lathered. Sarah had been smart enough to bring another fresh bucket of water as she though roughly rinsed Francesca’s hair. She helped her into the fresh gown. It was blue to match her eyes and a corset was set to pull her waist in tightly. The gold designs swirled across the dress. Her hair was left to air dry.

“Thank you for your work.” She said as she watched Sarah clean up the mess of the dirty water. The girl nodded and quickly went to dispose of the contents.

Although there was a tugging guilt, who knew how long of an ‘act’ she was holding. How dare he treat her like filth? She would make tonight miserable just for him.

That Evening, House of Pagano

Giovanni sighed as his mind ran vivid of the requirements planned for the night. His eyes were drawn onto the figure of his lovely wife. Her dark blue dress was so tight that it revealed slightly some of her bust. Her hair shone in the night and her smile was not present. The lackluster of energy made her eyes look solemn and serious. Her hands were folded neatly in her lap and continued to ignore him. As the carriage arrived at the grand house, he took her arm into his.

“Do not be a fool tonight. You must make a prominent reputation and impression upon all tonight. Or else you will face the consequences.” He whispered to her.

“Of course my lord. But I am afraid for you since you have no restraint. Will you be able to keep the Medici name without tarnish?” She mocked as her smile was adjusted prettily to her face.

“Watch your tongue Francesca.” He sneered as his eyes narrowed.

“As you wish my lord.” She said with sickly sweet snide.

The two uncomfortably entered into the grandiose house. The arts were filled across the area and the music played light tunes. Various young and old people scattered across the vast ballroom. Francesca sighed at the familiar feeling. She had to put on an iron mask and force her way to make pleasant talk with as many snobs as possible. Though to her surprise, the hostess had appeared before them.

“My it’s a pleasure to see you, Lord Giovanni. Pleasure to meet you dear, what is your name?” The woman said as she fanned herself from the heat.

“It is nice to see you again Contessa. This is my wife, Lady Francesca from Milan.” Giovanni said quickly before she had any moment to introduce herself.

“Ah a wife, it’s about time you did. What a youthful flower. May I ask of your age?” The woman said curiously as she tilted her head.

“I am sixteen years of age madam.” Francesca said as she curtsied in respect.

“Beautiful and polite. Keep her close Giovanni.” The woman said, her eyes twinkled. She bid the two a farewell as she moved on with her other guests.

“Come along, we must dance.” Giovanni muttered with a tone of annoyance.

Francesca followed after him as he dragged her by the arm. His hand was wrapped around her waist as he brought her closer. The distance was familiar but the coldness grew. They were silent as they danced arm in arm. Others watched in awe at their impeccable skill but the look on their faces did not depict a happy young couple. By the time they had danced their third dance, Francesca was exhausted. Her feet felt like lead weights and she decided to retreat to a seat. Within the moment she had escaped from him, Giovanni was gone from her sight. She sighed; she had known he would do this.

As she rested herself, a group of older girls flocked by her side. Some prettier than the others. There were about five in total.

“So Giovanni is married to you? Congratulations.” One said with sarcasm. Her eyes scanned Francesca up and down like she was going to be purchased as a slave.

“I had always thought he would marry better.” Another sneered.

“I don’t see anything quite pretty, just a nice figure.” A girl said.

Francesca could not handle the remarks as she made her way into the halls. There she collapsed onto the ground and shed her tears. Her heart pained and misery drenched her every breath.

“Why is such a lovely woman crying?” A voice murmured.

Francesca looked up to see a young man. He was not handsome at sight but the longer she stared, the more attractive his features became. His startling green eyes glowed with curiosity and his light brown hair was neat. He offered his hand and she gratefully took it.

“It is nothing.” She replied with a sniffle.

“It does not seem that way.” He probed as his eyes bore through her soul.

“Please sir, it is nothing of importance. I am a woman of fragile heart.” She said as she pretended to be faint as her hand rapidly fanned her face.

“A woman of such statue would be quite delicate. Perhaps you have had your heart trampled on by some bastard?” He said as he got closer to her.

Her heart raced but returned to its normal rate when he pulled out a handkerchief.

“A tissue for your tears.” He said with a gentle smile.

She nodded her head as if to say thank you. Her fingers carefully wiped away the last of the water that had leaked out of her eyes.

“I should have introduced myself much sooner but my name is Clemente Pagano.” He said with a bow as he kissed her hand.

Francesca was impressed by his kind and gentleman manners which did not exist at all in Giovanni. “I am Lady Francesca of Me- Milan.” She had decided to introduce herself truthfully as who she was. She did not want to be defined as married and nonetheless, married to a despicable man. When he was about to reply, Giovanni and a bunch of his friends had appeared down the hallway. She watched her husband narrow his eyes.

“Francesca.” He called out roughly. When she did not turn to his attention, he had cruelly decided to add along “my dear wife, it’s late we must go.”

She quickly curtsied. He grabbed her and merely nodded toward Clemente. She watched as Clemente’s eyes turn stony and his jaw was clenched. She felt a slight twinge of guilt but had no opportunity to apologize. They bid their farewells for the night and she climbed into the carriage. Silence accompanied the two for the rest of their ride.

The house was nearly quiet but she was shocked as Giovanni had decided to throw her roughly against the wall as his body was too close for her liking. His eyes were stormy and the dark brown of his eyes turned into the color of brick.

“Don’t you dare wander off alone without an escort. You nearly cost the Medici reputation. And I want you nowhere near Clemente.” He hissed.

Francesca froze at his threat. “Do you understand?” He interrupted.

She felt vulnerable as she shook her head with a nod. He seemed satisfied with her answer and left their room. She released the breath she had been holding and sighed. Before she slept, she said her prayers. Hoping for an angel to save her from living hell.

A/N: I tried so much Dx sorry if it isn't the best. Yeah Giovanni and Francesca's relationship are back on the rock. Ha it's going to take awhile for them to respect each other at the very least. I can't wait to dive into the backstory of Sarah and Clemente. Both whom will be important in developing the plot as well as expanding it. Feel free to predict, guess or even give some insight of what YOU would like to see in these characters. Ideas are welcome! Anyways, I must admit, the best thing you as a reader can do for me is comment about this chapter. The plot and how the characters are and etc. I don't care so much for populairty or votes but I want truthful opinions and what YOU think. Thank you and hope to see you all soon :)  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41 9 9
Reforming a Rake. Written by Maple Writes. Romance, spg, drama. Synopsis: He was infamous for changing women like they are clothes, trying them on fo...
195K 4.8K 65
**This is the second book in the Raw Love Story line. Go read Raw Love Vol. I before you read this book!** She was his and he was hers......right? W...
1.7M 53K 72
One day you're happy, and the next, a freak accident exposes your boyfriend's dirty little secrets in the worst possible way. I lost the man I loved...
1.7M 11.9K 6
*Heighest ranking 26th in Love, 1st in General Fiction, and 1st in Tragedy, as well as no#1 in mystery* When you're the most feared and powerful Ital...