Broken Angel

By JessEvans13

Have you ever had a secret? That you couldn't tell anyone? Ryvre Storm has a huge secret which she doesn't un... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 14

35 3 2
By JessEvans13

Chapter 14

‘Not really,’ I looked over at Ace, who caught my gaze and started to excuse himself, ‘why so public?’

‘People wouldn’t expect us to do this in public.’ The man laughed. He was dressed in a smart suit with a tie.

‘Do what?’ I asked, preparing myself to run.

‘She’s going to run,’ the man said to his sidekicks, to me he said, ‘we’re going to take you back to our boss.’

‘You’re going to take me to your boss, really? It sounds like a bad movie.’ I said, sceptical. ‘You don’t need me anymore. I’m nothing to the white-soul dynasty or the Hunters or the Storm family.’

The man sighed, pinched the bridge of his nose and said, ‘just get her anyway.’

That’s when I darted backwards to run around them and towards the group huddled around the bonfire to get help – although I don’t know who’s help I’d ask for since I didn’t want Ace’s or Sean’s and no one else, that I could tell, knew about angels. It was hard to sprint across sand; it didn’t want me to escape. I couldn’t run into the sea because they would follow me and they could be better swimmers than me – and I couldn’t control the sea without harming myself. When Ace saw me running, he started to run in my direction. I changed my path so I didn’t have to go near anyone, and I headed towards the car park.

Close to the steps that led down to the car park, I suddenly skidded and fell on my side and rolled down the steps. When I lifted my head to see what I had skidded on I saw that it was... ice? How is that possible? Fighting the feeling of all my energy being knocked out of me, I tried to get up as fast as I could and run but not before two big hands wrapped around each arm. The two sidekicks dragged me to my feet and pretended to look like they know me since only a small group of people were concerned about my fall. Ace wasn’t stupid and falling for the act.

‘Are you okay?’ The man in charge asked with little interest or concern for my well-being.

‘Oh, like you care.’ I spat at him. I could feel the grazes on my legs were starting to sting.

‘Actually, if I show up in front of my boss and you’re badly hurt then I could be the one that ends up badly hurt.’ This made me consider faking it. ‘Don’t even bother. My boss can tell when you’re faking it.’

‘Ryvre, are you alright?’ Ace called, running over. ‘Just wait there me.’

‘Quick: grab her. Take her to the car and drive, I’ll follow.’ The man started firing orders at his sidekicks.

The man on my right threw me over his shoulder despite my kicking and screaming. The man in charge punched the air and Ace was thrown backwards, further away from me. I screamed his name but the man carrying bounced me on his shoulder which hurt and cut off my scream. It took both sidekicks to force me into the limo. They locked the door immediately. I couldn’t see out the black windows as I pulled frantically on the door handle.

‘I’d stop that if I was you, little girl.’ The sidekick that wasn’t driving – and the one that had carried me – advised.

‘Hey, I’m not little.’ I snapped at him. ‘I,’ keep them distracted I told myself, ‘may be small for my age but I’m certainly not little. You’re small for your age,’ I said preparing to block against any attacks, ‘but I don’t call you little. How old are you anyway? Thirty-five... Forty... Pushing forty-five-’

‘Shut up!’ He tried to force my mouth close using his powers but I was prepared. ‘I am thirty.’

‘Wow,’ I said genuinely amazed, ‘must be a stressful job if you’re thirty and look like that.’

The sidekick that was driving chuckled. ‘Now Hank, she’s only trying to wind you up – ignore her.’

‘Just drive Bill. Before I do something that the boss won’t like.’ Hank growled, glaring at me.

‘Speaking of driving, where, exactly, are we going?’ I asked Bill since he was the least likeliest to kill me.

‘You know the tall building next to the old fairground place?’ Bill answered.

‘Bill!’ Hank hissed at his partner.

‘She has the right to know.’ Bill shot Hank an innocent look – like he didn’t just kidnap someone and force them against their will to get into a car.

‘You guys aren’t great at kidnapping people are you?’ I teased, knowing that keeping my mouth shut was probably best but I was trying to distract them whilst I thought out a plan.

‘Bill, she’s really-’ he stretched out the word “really” through gritted teeth so it sounded like “re-ee-ee-aa-ly” – ‘starting to bug me.’ He spat out the word “bug”.

‘You spit like one too.’ I muttered quietly to myself. ‘Bill, all I’m doing is making conversation. Do you really want to sit in an awkward silence?’

‘No,’ Bill answered as Hank mumbled yes, ‘Hank, just go along with the conversation and we’ll be there soon enough.’

Ryvre, are you okay? Ace sounded faint. I’m straining the connection here.

They’re probably blocking out the connection. I explained and then I told him where I was going.

We’ll come for you. I’ll come for you. Ace said desperately. Just try not to wind them up – I know you.

Hey, I’m only making friends, I joked and then I said seriously, you can’t come for me - that’s what they want. They’ll destroy you!

Are you worried about me? Ace asked with a hint of amusement in his tone. Because I could have sworn that I am nothing to you.

Ace, now isn’t the time. I scowled at him. Just let me get out by myself and I’ll tell you when I’m out. Give me twenty-four hours and then you can come storming in with fires blazing and everyone else’s powers hyperactive, I suggested. I didn’t need rescuing – I can save myself – especially from Ace. The car suddenly jerked to a stop and I closed my connection to Ace.

‘We’ve arrived,’ Bill said getting out of the car to open my door in a gentlemanly fashion, ‘the boss is waiting for you.’

Any chances of running then were ruled out by the barbed-wire fence that surrounded the building. The only way out, safely, was through the guarded gates that we came through – also Hank stood in front of me so I couldn’t even head in that direction. Bill griped on to my upper arm, dragging me forward whilst Hank pushed me with the hand he laid on my back. The doors were painted a glossy black which led to an intimidating tall building that was made of sixty-five percent glass. Inside, the building was modern, not nice modern but ugly modern. Red, black and silver were the colour scheme. The elevator binged and opened. Bill and Hank dragged me into it. Whenever you want to escape from someone never go up – it’s harder work for you and there’s less chance of you making out of wherever you are.

It felt like hours until the elevator binged open again and released its prisoners. The boss’ office was up a set of stairs on the far end of the corridor. I memorised my way in case I had a chance to escape.

The boss was sitting in a big black swivel chair at a silver desk. The boss was dressed in a black suit and tie with a blood red shirt. He was a slim-ish man but he wasn’t as tall as the other man who had been in the limo behind us.

‘Glad you finally made it,’ the boss smirked, ‘my own niece trying to run away from me, that’s a little harsh, don’t you think.’

‘Excuse me?’ I furrowed my eyebrows. There was no way I was related to him.

‘Oh, sorry, let me make introductions. I’m Uncle Nigel and this is my close companion,’ he gestured to the man that had been on the phone to me who had followed us into the room, ‘Lyle. You’ve clearly met Bill and Hank – the “muscle” in this dynasty.’

‘Yes, so now we’re all friends,’ I snapped at him, ‘what do you want from me and how the hell are we family?’

‘She’s a bit feisty, sir.’ Lyle informed his boss.

‘Hmm, I can see that.’ He said to Lyle, to me, he said, ‘hasn’t my sister told you yet?’

‘Told me what?’ I asked. Who was his sister? ‘I’m no use to anyone, I can’t join a dynasty until I’m eighteen – which I am not – and considering your treatment I think I won’t be joining you anytime soon.’

‘Oh, that’s right. You’re not eighteen yet, but you still are of use to me.’ The boss linked his fingers together and leant his chin on them. ‘I am sorry, my dear niece, of the treatment of these men. They know not of the gentlemanly fashion.’

‘I’m not your niece.’ I glared at him. Why did everyone keep secrets from me?

‘Your mother is my sister so of course you are my niece, silly girl; I am your Uncle Nigel.’ He smirked. ‘I also believe you are in love, am I correct?’

Yes. ‘No, not anymore, things had a turn for the worse.’ I explained, curtly.

‘What a shame,’ Nigel mock-sighed, ‘well, that family of his and the leaders of the white-souls won’t be able to resist helping a sweet, innocent, young girl from the baddies and their corruption.’

‘I’m not sweet or innocent,’ I muttered under my breath. And then I realised his “sister” must be Scotia as he would know the leader of the white-souls is Arella, ‘where’s Scotia and Seth?’

‘My sister and her husband are running a few errands.’ Nigel smirked and lit up a cigar, ‘I know cigars are what you would call old fashioned nowadays but I can’t get enough of them.’

‘Smoking is bad for you, you know.’ I said with the tiniest bit of concern for his health.

‘Precisely,’ Nigel inhaled a large amount of smoke, ‘now, my niece, I want you to help us in our plan to take down the white-souls.’

Curiosity got the better of me. ‘Help you how?’ I asked whilst thanking God that I didn’t have his blood or DNA in me.

‘Well, my little one, you will threaten to kill one of their own,’ Nigel said and then immediately snapped his fingers, ‘in fact, you will threaten to kill yourself. There’s no way they would be able to live with your death on their conscience, therefore we can destroy them by negotiating through you, and if they decline, we can attack them when they least expect it.’ Then he turned to a woman who had appeared in the doorway whilst he was speaking, ‘get her ready.’

Without saying a word the woman took my hand and dragged me into a room that was across the hall from the one I was just in. She made me wear a short, white strappy dress which revealed my birth mark on my shoulder and another on my right forearm which were in the shape of flowers. The woman looked taken aback by it and then she dragged me back into the room with Nigel and the others.

‘She’s ready.’ The woman nodded and left everyone to resume their “private” business.

‘Why couldn’t I stay in the clothes I was originally in?’ I asked, a little self-conscious.

 ‘By wearing that pure white dress, you represent innocence and purity – this will make them only more determined to help you.’ Nigel raised his chin. ‘You can keep your... converses on – to give you that ignorant, youthful teenager look. Perception is everything in the world, young lady.’

‘Oh, you couldn’t be more wrong.’ I couldn’t help but laugh. I mean, look at us: we look like every ordinary human, yet, we have special gifts.

‘Hmm...’ Nigel smirked, ‘we shall see.’

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

254 12 28
A young girl named Rose is one of the most popular girls in school. At least in the eyes of most of the boys on campus. However even though this is t...
201K 2.7K 44
Hate; feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone or something) Carter Shay is a seventeen year old girl who's grown up with everything handed to...
125K 4K 32
Melody was just like any normal teen. Well unless you count her having one parent, an abusive father, and being mute. Finally away from her father sh...
Haven By Miller

Teen Fiction

1.3K 70 29
My job is to protect her, look out for her, and guard her. I wouldn't say I failed, but I know I did not meet the expectations of those above me. To...