Stand by You

By khgirl678

Alchemy is the understanding the structure of matter, decomposing it, and then reconstructing it into somethi... More

I
II
III
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII

IV

5K 128 55
By khgirl678

I come from a sleepy small country town named Resembool. I had a wonderful and loving family there, consisting of my mother, my father, and my younger sister. My father, Elliot Joyce, had brown hair that was mainly flat but had spiked layers and bangs that adorned his round brown eyes. Often times he wore a doctor's coat over his red-collared shirt, pants, and black work shoes.

My mother, Sara Joyce, had chin-length blue-black hair with fringe layers and bangs, one bang so long it completely covered the right side of her face, hiding one of her soft blue eyes behind it. Like my father, she often times wore a doctor's coat over her purple sweater, khakis, and boats.

Finally, my younger sister Grace Joyce had chin-length brown hair with fringed layers and bangs like my mother, but didn't have a bang covering her curious brown eyes ether. As a prim and proper young lady, despite being a little kid, she wore a blue dress with a black collar, white stockings and brown Mary-Janes.

My best friends in the sleepy town were Edward and Alphonse Elric as well as Winry Rockbell. We always played together whenever we had the chance. Whether it be chasing each other around the endless fields of grass, making flower crowns, or simply just playing at one of our houses, we were always together. It was a simple life, but it was perfect to me. But it all changed one day when my parents got letters.

A war was going on for a few years and of course, when there's war they need as many soldiers and doctors they can get. So it wasn't surprise that even they scavenged the quiet town of Resembool for available doctors. Our parents, along with Winry's parents, got letters requesting for their help during the war. I remember seeing Mother and Father packing suitcases and giving us goodbye kisses as they dropped us off at the Rockbell's place which is where we will live until they come back or the war ends. They waved us goodbye before turning around and walking down the path to the train station. Grace, Winry, and I stood out on the porch as we watched our parent's backs grew smaller and smaller with each step until they were no longer visible on the horizon and Granny Pinako ushered us in to distract us from missing our parents.

*~*~*~*~*~

A year later, Grace, the Rockbell household and I received a letter. When Grace opened the envelope, she handed to me. "Read it, Evie," she asked, "Evie" being my nickname since she was young and couldn't province my full name.

I ripped the flap off the glued portion from the envelope as I pulled out a folded piece of paper. I read the letter out loud to the best of my ability.

"Dear the Joyce family," I read. "We apologize to inform you that although the war has ended, your family will not be coming home from the war. Your family were unfortunately killed in the war, due to a surprise attack at a camp they were stationed at. We apologize for the sudden news and offer our condolence. Sincerely, Führer King Bradley."

With trembling fingers, I let the letter fall from my hands and into the ground, fluttering as it landed on the wood surface, years streaming down my face as I registered the news into my head. Grace took a step back, crying as well. Winry was crying as well, burying her face into Granny Pinako's shoulder as she looked away, the letter clenched in her fist.

Grace reached for the envelope to fidget wth it in order for her to distract herself from the sadness when she pulled out another piece of paper. "Um...Evie, you missed one..." she whispered.

Halting my crying, I took the letter. On the fold I saw read the address 42, Wallaby Way. I unfolded it, thinking it was another letter announcing a death if a family because we had two family members out in war or maybe condolences from a fellow soldier or doctor who worked with our parents, but no. Instead, it was a letter from someone else. "Dear Evelyn and Grace Joyce," I read aloud again. "Hello. I am Colonel Roy Mustang. You may not know me, but that's okay. You see, your mother Sara has a little interesting history with me. We're both siblings and we're separated shortly after our parents passed. We didn't see each other again until wartime, which unfortunately both your parents had died in. As family to you, I decided it was my responsibility to take you both in with me. I do not want to burden whoever you are living with and make them raise you until adulthood. I will bear the responsibility instead. Inside the envelope you received from the military are two train tickets to Eastern Command. I want both of you to ride the train there and wait at the station. I will approach you from there. I await to meet you two lovely young ladies. Sincerely, Roy Mustang."

"Roy Mustang?" Grace frowned. "I do not know of such a man."

"Well, he clearly stated in the letter that he and Mother were separated as kids and didn't meet again until during the war, so he had no idea where she lived, if she had kids and who they were."

"Should we trust the man, Granny Pinako?"

She took the envelope from me and stuck her hand in, pulling out two train tickets just as Roy Mustang had promised. She squinted at the date of the tickets. "I do not know this man either," she stated. "And I do not like him at all because of his military relations. But, your mother never really talked about her family history, so I can't say if what he says is truth. But, since you have the tickets, I say why not? Go and take the train and meet this man. If you do not feel comfortable with him, write back to us and we will come and pick you up as soon as possible. Got that?"

We nodded in agreement. "Good," she said. "I want you two to pack up everything you own into all the suitcases you both own. Now scoot!"

*~*~*~*~

Grace and I sat at the train, squishing our faces at the window as well as fighting for space by it as we watched as the train pulled away. We were both in our best dresses since we were traveling into the cit. Grace was wearing a yellow sundress with white shoes and white dress shoes with a little pink bow at the tip of her shoes. I wore a white, spaghetti-strapped dress with a red ribbon on my chest as well as the bottom of the straps in front of my dress and blue sandals.

Granny Pinako waved us goodbye and we waved as well. Edward, Alphonse, and Winry all shared a tearful farewell with us and were still crying as we pulled away. We continued to wave at them until they were out of sight. We sat back down in our seats. Grace swung her legs in boredom as she had nothing to do on the train. A snack cart passed us and Grace glanced at the cart. She tugged my arm. "Evie, can I have something off the cart please?" She begged.

"Well, let's see," I stated, pulling out my clutch purse as clicked it open, pulling out the money Granny Pinako gave us "for emergencies and snacks" she made us promise. "I think we have enough for a little something for you," I softly smiled. Grace's eyes lit up, the first time being happy since the letter from the military. She got off her seat as the train chugged by and I scooted off as well. She took my hand and we approached the snack cart. "What do you want?" I asked her.

She scanned the cart on her tip toes, squinting at all the contents inside. "I want the pink sugar cakes," she answered.

I stood on my tip toes as well. The pink sugar cakes were small, rounded cakes of marshmallow rolled in sugar which was colored pink. After paying for a bag for them, I handed them to Grace who eagerly pulled the ribbon off the bag and took a cake out. Seeing how few cakes there were, she began to nibble on the one she was holding. When we sat back down, she pulled out one and offered it to me. I shook my head no. "It's yours, Grace," I smiled. "Enjoy it."

Her eyes lit up and she greedily nibbled some more. The train lurched, cashing us to lean forward with the movement. Grace cried as she held the bag, trying not to spill the cakes as I put an arm on front of her. The train begins to lurch and shake, as if we were going over something uneven. "W-W-What's h-happening?" Grace asked, her voice wavering as the train rolled over the uneven surface.

"I d-d-d-don't k-k-know," I replied.

Suddenly, the conductor ripped open the door to our compartment. "The train is off tracks!" He shouted. "It derailed! It's not going to stay like this for long! Brace yourselves!"

"W-What?" Grace cried. "D-D-Derailed? W-W-What d-does--"

Suddenly, the train smacked into something on the uneven surface as it flew. The people inside our compartment screamed as they held on to whatever could be hold. I hugged Grace close to protect her as the train crashed into the ground, windows smashing and glass pieces flying everywhere as something big and heavy landed on the both of us.

*~*~*~*~*~

I awoke from being unconscious for who knows how long. Through my blurred vision, I turned my stiff head, trying to get ahold of my surroundings. Once my vision cleared, I tried to get up but felt a tearing pain from my left arm. I glanced over to see my left arm buried under some rubble, a blood puddle forming underneath it. My free arm, the right one, was holding onto someone's hand, which was loosely gripping mine. I turned to see Grace. "Grace--" I started but stopped, horrified to see the state she was in.

Her body was completely buried under rubble, save for part of her upper body and head. Both of her arms were splayed out by her head, one gripping mine and the other holding into the bag of sugar cakes as she was unconscious, dried blood trickling from her mouth. From underneath the rubble her body was in, there was a good amount of blood. I gripped her hand and shook it. "Grace! Wake up! It's me!" I yelled.

She scrunched her face up as she her eyelids slowly opened, making contact with mine. She tried to smile at seeing me but ended up couching up blood. "Evie?" She weakly and hoarsely asked. "What's happening? Why is there blood by your arm? Why can't I feel my legs?"

"Don't worry," I assured, paling and a light sheen of sweat appearing on my forehead from the rapid loss of blood. "We're fine. We just got into a small accident. Once we get help, we'll be fine. Then, we'll see this Roy Mustang man and live happily ever after."

"But...I want to go back to Resembool..." she began to cry and I looked at her, shocked. "I what to go back...and be with Mommy and Daddy."

"Well, um..." I was unable to reply.

"Do they have flower fields in the city?"

"Yes! Lots!"

"Good. I want to make more flower crowns with you and for Mommy...and Daddy..." Grace's eyes began to drop, which fueled my panic.

"Don't go to sleep yet!" I pleaded. "You just woke up!"

"But Evie, I'm tired..."

"But I want to play!"

I was crying now, begging her to stay awake and sending silent prayers for someone to come and rescue us. She smiled softly. "I'm glad...I got to have my first trip with the best sister ever...Evie..." she closed her eyes and her head fell gently into the ground. Her grip instantly loosened and her hands grew strangely cold. I gripped them tighter and I squeezed my eyes shut, getting woozy from the loss of blood. Please...someone help us....my sister is only just a kid! I prayed.

*~*~*~*~*~

Roy Mustang and his best friend Maes Hughes stood at the station, waiting for Evelyn and Grace. Roy tapped his foot impatiently as he kept glancing at the giant clock at the center of the station. "They're an hour and 15 minutes late..." he grumbled. "Where could they be?"

"Roy, if I may ask," Maes yawned. "What are we doing at the station again?"

"Did you forget already?" Roy sighed. "We're here to pick up my nieces."

Maes blinked, "You didn't hear what happened this morning?"

"This morning?" Roy asked. Just now he was noticing the on-lookers sitting around, anxious as well. Some even had their hands clasped and eyes closed, as if they were praying. "What news?" He asked again.

"Um...Roy, were your nieces on the 9 o'clock train this morning?"

"Yes. Why?"

Maes made a oh no face. "Hughes? What happened?" Roy demanded.

"That 9 o'clock train your nieces were on derailed this morning."

"WHAT?!"

"You didn't know? They were sending troops and doctors out this morning to tend to the passengers!"

"You do know Lieutenant Hawkeye has to hold her gun at my head to keep me awake in the morning, right?"

"Colonel Mustang! Colonel Hughes!" A voice yelled.

The duo turned to see a puffing soldier run up to them. They saluted at each other as a quick greeting. "I'm glad I found you two!" The soldier continued. "The derailed passengers from this morning have arrived at headquarters and we need you two to help reunite families!"

The two nodded before running after the soldier top return to headquarters. "Hopefully we'll find your nieces  in the lost family area or with the doctors!" Hughes prayed.

Roy nodded as he was too busy rushing back to Eastern Command. just as he arrived, there were hundreds of dead passengers laid out on stretchers in the grass, a white blanket over them to cover their bodies. Out of the corner of his eye he could see sobbing families by the blanketed victims and families hugging to find their loved ones safe and sound. He hoped he would join the hugging squad not the crying squad.

When he turned, he saw some doctors wheeling a stretcher by them, a victim on there. The victim had long brown hair and paling skin. Roy's eyes widened as he pulled out a folded picture of his nieces his siter gave to him during the war, quickly examining the brownie he saw and comparing it to the photo. "Hughes!" Roy yelled. "I found Evelyn!"

"Great!" Maes yelled back. "Where is she?"

"Being rushed to the hospital!"

"You said 'nieces'. Who are the others?"

"Just Evelyn and Grace."

"What does Grace look like? I'll try to find her while you run after Evelyn!"

Roy quickly showed him the photo and Maes nodded, scanning the picture for any unique features and to get a general picture before Roy put the photo back on his jacket chest pocket. He turned and bolted after the stretcher while Maes fanned out to search for Grace.

*~*~*~*~*~

Roy never ran so hard in his life.

Not when he was a child playing ball. Not during the academy forced to run laps around the field. Not even during the war when running was a crossroad between life and death.

The reason he was running so hard was because his eldest niece was on a rolling bed, and he chasing after the nurses and doctors who were wheeling her into surgery. One held a pole holding a IV liquid for her. A nurse stopped him as she was rolled into a room. "Sir, I'm afraid you cannot go on any further," she instructed.

"What?!" He cried. He wouldn't be so worked up if she wasn't family. "That's my niece in the operating room! You have to let me in!"

"I apologize, sir. Only immediate family."

"I'm the Colonel! You gotta let me in!"

"I'm afraid not."

A surgeon slipped out of the room, and whispered something into the nurse's ear, gesturing at Mustang. The nurse's eyes widened as she dismissed the surgeon. She took a deep breath, "Well, Mr. Mustang, we need you to make a decision for your niece."

"What?" He asked, standing up on the chair which he had unknowingly sat down on. "What is it?" He got up in the nurse's face.

She put a clipboard between their faces to leave some space. "Well, sir," she explained. "As the present and only family of the girl, we need you to make a decision. You see, the girl's left arm was crushed when the suitcases above her fell as well as the train caving in. Nearly all of her bones are crushed and she tore several muscle ligaments in several places. If we do manage to piece her arm back and sew up the torn muscle, she will require therapy to assist with healing but will never be able to use her arm again."

"Y-You mean..."

"Yes, sir. She will be crippled for the rest of her life. She can feel her fingers, but can't move her arm. We also have another solution; amputate off the arm entirely and replace it with automail. But, she will need to undergo surgery for that and that will require rehabilitation and therapy as well. But, at least she will be able to use her left arm. But, Mr. Mustang, she's only 9 and that's a bit young to start getting a prosthetic. Of course, you can have the surgery for her arm now and wait to amputate it once she is older—"

"Amputate her arm now."

"S-Sir?"

"Did I stutter?"

"N-No sir...but you have to understand-she's only 9! Do you know the consequences of this? The amount of stress she will have to undergo within a short period of time, not to mention she hasn't had her growth spurt yet so having a huge piece of metal attached to her shoulder will surely stunt her growth--"

"Just do it! I don't want to stall her suffering nor make her suffer while waiting for automail. We can deal with all these health issues later. If she's just like her mother, she'll be fine."

The nurse stared at him in the eye a but, waiting for him to doubt his decision and change his mine but he stared back harder, glaring almost. The nurse sighed, putting down her clipboard. "Alright, then." She said. "I will tell the doctors your decision."

Just as the nurse left, Roy turned around and bumped into a out-of-breath Maes. "Mustang!" He yelled. "I found Grace, but you aren't going to like how she is..."

*~*~*~*~*~

Maes showed a blanketed body at Roy. "This is Grace," he explained Roy knelt down at the body.

"No..." He muttered, can't believing he failed a promise before even meeting the girls. He lifted the blanket and took in the sight of her body.

Grace had a blood-soaked bandage wrapped around her abdomen completely and a good amount of it soaked through and stained the stretcher. Her whole body was pale and she had a neutral expression on her face. In one hand, she held a bag and when Roy examined the bag, he realized it was a bag holding those pink sugar cakes they serve on trains.

"She died due to severe blood loss," Maes explained the cause of her death as Roy stood back up, placing the blanket back over her body as if she was tucking her in to sleep. "Even if she did survive, she might as well be dead. She received an injury just at the base of her spinal cord, the source of the blood loss, and if she did survive, she would be paralyzed waist-down. She would need help for almost everything."

"I-I see..." Roy muttered, trying to compose himself.

"Roy-boy," Maes sighed, placing a sympathetic hand on his best friend's shoulder. "I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's horrible losing family-especially if you haven't met them yet. Let's hope Evelyn is a bit luckier than Grace."

"Hughes, I made a promise!" Roy yelled, losing his composure he was so desperately trying to keep. "I promised their dying mother-my older sister I haven't seen in practically two decades-that I would protect them! That I made sure when I took in my last dying breath the two of them were alive, healthy, and happy. And look at this! I couldn't protect the little one and right now the eldest is going through surgery which will result in removing her left arm--"

"Hold on-WHAT--!"

"And who knows if she'll make it out the same again! If I was paying attention for a blasted second this morning, I would've found out with the derailment and rushed out to the accident to help! But, instead, I was siting on my ass, waiting for the time for me to leave! I've done a lot of horrible things Hughes. I've slaughtered so many in the war that practically half of this country hates me, I couldn't protect my older sister, and I can't even keep a damn promise. I am going to be one horrible parental figure."

"Hey," Hughes comforted. "It's okay. The derailment was completely out of your control. There was nothing you could've done to prevent or lessen the severity of the accident. I think, as a father and loving husband, that you should stop lingering in the past or worrying about the future, and think about the present. You can't change the past and you can't predict the future, but you can control the present. Prove to Evelyn that you are the deserving uncle of your older sister and she'll love you, no matter what you've done. I mean, the worst that can happen is what you said, that she won't like you."

"Y-You're right, Hughes," Roy took in a deep breath. "Thanks."

"No problem," Maes smiled. "Now, let's head back to the hospital and see how little Evelyn is doing."

*~*~*~*~*~

My heavy eyelids lifted, and all around me my surroundings were fuzzy. I closed them wanting to go back to sleep. I was back at Resembol, waking up to another hazy morning. But...where was Grace and her usual jumping on my bed?

My eyelids flew open as I threw over the covers. They were stiff and white; not the blankets I use back at home. Panicking now because I didn't recognize my surroundings I leapt out of bed, ignoring the dizzying feeling of getting out of bed so quickly and tried to hurry out of the room. I tripped over something and fell down. When I lifted my head up and turned it around to see what I tripped over, I saw a wire connecting from my arm to a tall pole with a plastic baggie filled with some sort of clear liquid. I grabbed the wire and yanked it, detaching myself from the pole. I finally reached the doorway and peered out.

It was a long corridor with lots of doorways in it where more rooms like mine were. I couldn't see far because there was a bend, so I ran towards it. "Hey! What are you doing?" I heard a voice yell. Panicking, I ran even faster, almost tripping over my feet with each step. "Stop now! Hey! Can you hear me!" They continued to yell. I heard large footsteps behind me and I bolted, my lungs collapsing inside me.

I ran into someone and I nearly fell down from the impact and they grabbed my shoulders. "Are you okay?" They asked.

I looked at their face and froze up. He had black hair and black-grey eyes. He wore some sort of blue uniform and had gloves with a design on it. But, on his face he had Mother's eyes and similar facial features as her. I saw my mother smiling softly at me again. But that couldn't be. She was dead...

"There you are Mr. Mustang!" The person chasing me gasped and they leaned against the wall. "Your niece--"

"WHY DO YOU LOOK LIKE MY MOM?!" I screamed, jumping back.

"Whoa, hey, Evelyn!" The person shouted, putting his hand out to clam me down. "I'm the one who wrote to you, remember? Roy Mustang, your mom's younger brother, someone who lives at 42 Wallaby Way?"

"I don't care right now!" I yelled, exasperated. I fisted my hair with my right hand. "I woke up in a place that's not my room, got chased by someone, ran into you who says they're Mother's younger brother, and yet I still don't know where Grace is! Can somebody tell me where she is or lead me to her?"

The two of them froze up and exchanged a look that said you tell her. The man sighed and squatted down so he was at my level. "Evelyn...Grace didn't make it out of the train accident alive," he announced.

My eyes widened. "What...?" I hoarsely asked. No...she was right next to me in the wreck! How could it be...?

"Evelyn, she died," he repeated.

"I know that!" I snapped.

"Um...Evelyn," he muttered. "Have you noticed your left arm yet?"

"What? What do you mean..." I trailed as I looked down my left side. The left sleeve which had my left arm in was empty and the sleeve was limp. I pulled the sleeve up to see what was the matter, and all I saw of my left arm was a stump wrapped in bloodied bandages.

I felt myself grow woozy and nauseous as I leaned against the man to stay somewhat upright. "Nurse...? Nurse!" The man yelled, holding onto me. "She's paling! Is she gonna throw up? Oh my god, she's gonna faint! Her eyes are rolling to the back of her head!"

*~*~*~*~*~

I jerk up suddenly again. I feel like I'm experiencing some déjà vu and went to check my left arm. Instead, all there was left is a bloody stump. I began to thrash around, hoping that my jerky movements will cause me to kick myself awake in whatever reality I was in. "Whoa, easy there!" A voice yelled.

I looked up to see the man I saw earlier. He stood beside my bed, arms out, trying to calm me down. He sat back down again and we stared at each other for a bit. A uncomfortable silence fell between us. The man tugged at his uniform collar and cleared his throat. "In case you didn't remember from before," he started. "I am Roy Mustang, your mother's younger brother. I live on 42, Wallaby Way--"

"How come I've never met you before?" I asked this Roy.

"Oh," Roy paused. "You see, our parents passed away when we were younger and we were forced to separate since my aunt who took me in couldn't afford to keep your mother as well. But don't worry-she made sure she was in good hands when she handed her over to her friends. The rest...I'm not so sure. But yeah. Due to separation and constant moving on her part, you never met me before until now."

"Um...did you see Mother and Father in the war?" I asked.

"Yes...yes I did."

"How did they die?"

"Evelyn, I don't think that--"

"Roy, I—!"

"Uncle Roy."

"Fine...Uncle Roy, I just went through a train accident, a death of a sibling, and a amputation. I'm sure however they died isn't that bad as all of this."

"You're...right there actually, kid. So...there was a bomb placed under the tent they were stationed at and it blew up. The explosion killed your father but your mother managed to survive it but had severe injuries. I came in to rescue them but your mother was shot in the head when I arrived. That's how they passed."

We sat in another uncomfortable silence as I processed the news given to me. After all, do you expect me to be conversing casually with a man who was my uncle and this is our first meeting? Thoughts of Grace's death filled my mind and my face dropped as I Big my quivering lip. My precious little sister is gone. I could never get her back. And the worst part was I could've prevented her death. Maybe, if I had pulled her closer to me during the derailment or if I had shoved her out of the seat and taken her place during the accident, she could be here right now with me.

Uncle Roy cleared his throat again, interrupting my thoughts. "Anyways...about your arm..." he started.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's gone and for the greater good," I waved him off. "Don't rub it in."

"Well...yeah. If you kept your left arm you would've of been crippled from the accident. But, you won't be missing a left arm forever. You see, if you get automail, it's kinda like having a left arm again, but it's made of metal. Pretty cool, huh?"

"I know. One of my best friends from Resembool was a automail mechanic with her grandma."

"So, when you get older, we can get you automail for your left arm."

"Actually, can I have automail now?"

"Excuse me?"

"I want automail for my left arm now! I wanna have it back!"

"But...Evelyn, do you understand that it's not just an easy process of snapping on an arm onto your...stump? You have to go through surgery, and not only that, therapy and rehabilitation after this surgery to help adapt to your metal arm? And that can take three to four years on average!"

"So? I want it now. It's better to get the pain over with it now than later, when it hurts more, right? Also, how bad it could be, considering what I've been through lately?"

"You...are one strange child. I'm going to have to consult Hughes more than I originally though I would..."

"Who's he?"

*~*~*~*~*~

I sat on a chair at our kitchen table, book out. My automail left arm was in a sling, since I couldn't use it. I was already two years into my rehabilitation and was anxious to start using it again. I'm glad I chose to have the surgery and therapy now rather than later, when my patience level isn't as big as when I'm a child. The book I was reading about was alchemy. It's such an interesting topic. You can recreate things with a transmutation circle! But, only if what you are creating is equal to the object you transmutated! But, there is a way to abide this rule and that's using a Philosopher Stone! Also, there were different kinds of alchemy besides creation. There's deconstruction and reconstruction.

As I read more on the topic, Uncle Roy came in with a bag of groceries. I couldn't do that many chores around the apartment, since I was down an arm. I tried to help the best I could by not making a mess, but it does dull after a while of sitting at the kitchen table and waiting to go to bed.

"Wha are you reading about?" Uncle Roy asked as he put the food in the cabinets.

"Alchemy," I replied, sipping my glass full of tap water.

"A-Alchemy?" Uncle Roy sputtered, nearly dropping the canned food. "Why would you feel the need to learning something like that?" He asked.

"So I can join the military," I nonchalantly replied.

"Join the military? But why?"

"Because I want to help you out with your dream of rebuilding this country once you become Führer."

The book I was reading was snatched out of my hands. "Hey!" I shouted, glaring up at Uncle Roy who held it above me.

"I forbid you from reading these kinds of books ever again in this apartment!" He yelled, closing the book and holding it.

"But why?"

"Evelyn, once you're able to use your arm again we can discuss how you can get into the military the way I did it. You don't need alchemy to join. I didn't."

"But Uncle Roy--"

"Don't 'but' me. As your uncle and parental figure, my word is final!"

"Why are you so against it?!"

"You don't need to know!"

"But I wanna know!"

"IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!"

He slammed my book down hard on the table, breathing quick. I glowered at him from my spot. He yanked out the chair and sat down, putting his hands underneath his chin as we glowered at one another. Eventually, we got tired of that and sulked. He sighed, "Evelyn, I shouldn't have lost my temper at you so quickly. Alchemy is a sore subject for me. The reason why is because it was that that brought the downfall of Ishval. The upper hand we've been seeking for a while. We completely destroyed everything with alchemy. I...I don't want you going down that path willingly, or even going down it at all."

"Uncle Roy...I see your point, but I still want to learn it. I want to be able to help you achieve your dream of becoming the Führer of this country. I know you will be a great leader, so I want to help! I won't go down the path of destruction, I promise. Even if I don't have a choice."

"Evelyn, you make those promises, but when that time comes, you'll see how easy it is for you to break it..."

"I'll take a blood pact! Then I can't break it!"

"....Where did you get that from?"

"A book."

"Figured. But...if you really are persistent with that idea and promise, I guess I can't really stop you."

He slid the book he held captive back to me and I eagerly grabbed it, opening back to the spot I was and resuming my reading as Uncle Roy went back to unloading the groceries.

*~*~*~*~*~

I stood in the military training room. Soldiers surrounded me and they were setting up barrels, an item which I had requested for my test. The Führer was at front. He smiled at me, giving me a curt nod of good luck. In the spectators's seat were more soldiers. I saw Uncle Roy sitting Maes. Uncle Roy smiled and gave me a thumbs up. "You may began the test now," Führer announced.

"Do you have anything to draw your transmutation circles with?" Once of the soldiers asked.

"I came prepared," I gripped as I pulled off my glove, revealing my newly tattooed on transmutation circle on my hand. It was still pink from the ink and the solider cringed, stepping aside as I took the stand, grumbling how irresponsible Uncle Roy was to let me tattoo myself at this age. I shot him a dirty look and he silenced himself, pretending to be doing something else and I clapped my hands and slammed them knot the ground. Multiple sparks trailed over to the barrels and clocks appeared on them. All at once, the barrels exploded. Everyone gasped.

"No transmutation circle, I see..." Führer smiled.

"Actually, it's here," I replied, proudly showing him my tattooed hand. He didn't flinch like the others. Instead, he took a quick look at it and nodded.

"Now that you are done with your test, please wait outside Lieutenant Colonel Roy Mustang's office and I will tell him the results," he ordered.

*~*~*~*~*~

I sat outside Uncle Roy's office, waiting for my results. "THAT WAS GREAT!!!" Maes complimented me, pulling me into a tight beat hug.

"Thanks," I smiled through my lack of oxygen.

"Roy told me all about how much you've practiced! He talks about you almost as much as I talk about Elicia and Garcia, which is saying a lot!"

"Instead it is."

"Anyways, Evie, I hope you pass!"

"Evie?!" I gawked.

"Yeah!" Maes smiled. "It's a cute nickname, right?"

I haven't heard someone call be that ever since Grace died. Uncle Roy never bothered with nicknames, as he didn't appreciate me calling him "Flame-Brain", so I haven't heard that in a while. Just being called that reminded me of Grace's death and how it was all my fault. If only I had been a better big sister, I would've protected her from dying.I gritted my teeth so I could smile. "Don't call me that, please," I begged.

"Why?" Maes whined. "It's cute!"

"I'm not six, damnit!" I yelled.

The door opened and the Führer stepped out. "Miss Evelyn Joyce, you may come in," He said.

I stepped into Uncle Roy's office and sat in one of the couches by his desk. He smiled, "Congratulations, Evelyn Joyce, you are now a dog of the military."

He handed me a piece of paper and a silver pocket watch with the Amestrain symbol on it. I read it over. "So, I'm a State Alchemist, which means in the military I immediately have the rank of Major..." I muttered. "And my title is...the Clockwork Alchemist?"

"Well, they decided to do a play on words. Since you can make things explode by transmuting clocks onto them, they thought 'Clockwork' would suit better then 'Explosion'."

"Ah. I see the creativity."

"Anyways," Roy leaned over his desk and gave me a high-five with my right hand as he painfully learned that lesson with the left. "I'm so proud of you, Evelyn!" He grinned.

"Thanks," I smiled.

"Now I get to be your superior officer here and back at home!"

"Uncle Roy!"

"Kidding! Also, it's 'Colonel' or 'Sir' or 'Mustang' or 'Flame' when we are on military grounds. Respectfully, I could call you 'Clockwork' or 'Joyce' as well."

He got up from his desk. "Anyways, let's take a picture to remember this!" He led me out if the office.

"N-Now?" I sputtered.

"Yes!" He replied. "Of course! Maes is waiting outside with a camera! Let's go!"

As he took me out, I took in the information. Wow...I got into the military as a certified state alchemist. Amazing! But, with power comes responsibility, and I remembered Grace as I took a silent vow. I held the palm of my right hand over my heart. I made a vow. I will protect all of my family and friends from everything. And if I mess up at anything...

...I will fix it. No matter the cost.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.4K 1.4K 50
My past is my worst enemy. I will learn to forget, someone will save me, it's not like I haven't been saved before. Run again, hide again, feel the p...
9.5K 303 12
Hohenhiem leaves, allowing the Father to move in on his unprotected family. The Father has a sit down with Trisha Elric, Hohenhiem's wife, and procee...
2.7K 54 50
Elizabella Rockbell was never interested in becoming a state alchemist. She was more than happy following Edward Elric and his brother Alphonse Elric...
2.9K 91 10
- Sequel to Fullmetal vampire- Michael, a vampire, who is after Edward and will stop at nothing to have what he wants. He hides just out of sight...