Veal & Venison {Tomione || 19...

By Patagonian

#180 in Fanfiction || #1 in Hermione || In the language of literature, there exists a seemingly-concrete, ant... More

Preface
Cast
Introduction
Part I
1 || Pawn to D4
2|| Knight to F6
3 || Pawn to C4
4|| Pawn to E6
5|| Knight to C3
6|| Bishop to B4
7|| Pawn to E3
9|| Rook to D3
10|| Pawn to C5
11|| Knight to F3
12|| Knight to C6
13|| Kingside Castle {King to G1, Rook to F1}
14|| Bishop to C3
15|| Pawn to C3
16|| Pawn to D6
17|| Knight to D2
18|| Pawn to B6
19|| Knight to B3
20|| Pawn to E5
21|| Pawn to F4
22|| Pawn to E4
23|| Bishop to E2
24|| Queen to D7
25|| Pawn to H3
26|| Knight to E7
27|| Queen to E1
28|| Pawn to H5
29|| Bishop to D2
30|| Queen to F5
31|| King to H2
32|| Queen to H7
33|| Pawn to A4
34|| Knight to F5
35|| Pawn to G3
36|| Pawn to A5
37|| Rook to G1
38|| Knight to H6
Part II
39|| Bishop to F1
40|| Bishop to D7
41|| Bishop to C1
42|| Rook to C8
43|| Pawn to D5
44|| King to H8
45|| Knight to D2
46|| Rook to G8
47|| Bishop to G2
48|| Pawn to G5
49|| Knight to F1
50|| Rook to G7
51|| Rook to A2
52|| Knight to F5
53|| Bishop to H1
54|| Rook to G8
55|| Queen to D1
56|| Pawn to F4
57|| Pawn to F4
58|| Bishop to C8
59|| Queen to B3
60|| Bishop to A6
61|| Rook to E2
62|| Knight to H4
63|| Rook to E3
64|| Bishop to C8
65|| Queen to C2
66|| Bishop to H3
67|| Bishop to E4
68|| Bishop to F5
69|| Bishop to F5
70|| Knight to F5
71|| Rook to E2
72|| Pawn to H4
73|| Rook to G2
74|| Pawn to G3
75|| King to G1
76|| Queen to H3
77|| Rook to E3
78|| Knight to H4
79|| King to F1
80|| Rook to E8 {Checkmate}
Epilogue
Q & A
Further Reading

8|| Kingside Castle {King to G8, Rook to F8}

38.6K 1.4K 1.2K
By Patagonian

8|| Kingside Castle {King to G8, Rook to F8}

Clarence Nevarse, unfortunately, does not attend Hermione's following classes. Rather, Charms seems to be a course taken with the Hufflepuffs, all of which are clique-ing together, not to Hermione's concern. As usual, the time-traveller sits by herself at the front of the class, the foreign professor eying her curiously, hearing of her talents from the other professors. And though Hermione does not mind the attention, given her years with Harry, the rising of eyes towards her startles her nerves as Tom Riddle sits to her side.

Spine straightening in both discomfort and confidence, Hermione avoids his eyes with every cell and nerve. Class starts and continues with her back pressed straight--rod-like in quality and prompting Tom to grin at her obvious discomfort. The other students watch the two competitors with interest as they compete to answer questions, not quite hostile yet surely not friends. Hogwarts didn't know what hit them with Hermione's arrivval.

Class is not over fast enough, leaving Hermione to flee into the corridor with a worried look sent to her by the professor. But with time, she settles into her nerves, taking steps to the Great Hall for lunch and then taking to her meal outside in solitude. With no one around, Hermione recovers her identity and confidence, steeling herself with the food ingested and no longer feeling deficient in nutrition or strength. Tom Riddle is surely a force to be reckoned with, but no one has overcome the strength of Hermione Granger. She was a fighter since birth.

After lunch, Hermione wanders down to the now-familiar dungeons of Hogwarts, taking different turns to find herself in the Potion's classroom. And though she ought to expect it from the stories, Tom is there before her, discussing some topic amiably with the younger Slughorn. Hermione tucks her head, an immediate reaction that she hopes Tom perceived to be submission, before moving towards a different table with no intention of sitting next to Riddle.

"No, Miss Granger, over here!" Slughorn shouts from nearby, though across the room and drawing her eyes to the exuberant Potion's Master. He sends her a jolly grin that speaks well of his delusions, almost gazing with pity upon her. "Tom will be able to help you on your potion."

Hermione has to hinder an inappropriate comment, shoving her inner-feminist down and smiling at the old man. Tom can see, from the twitch in her clenched jaw, that she is infuriated by the old professor. He grins as she addresses the two, "I think I will be fine, Professor."

"Come, child. Sit here," Slughorn says, patting a chair to the right of Riddle with not so much of a request but a command. Almost growling as she shuffles towards them, Hermione withholds her unusual temper that typically only blows because of Ronald Weasley or the abuse of innocents. She can see Tom's smirking mouth as she takes her seat, dropping to her chair and shoving her bag to the ground. Hermione does not look at him, knowing she'll surely curse him or Slughorn if anything else is said.

The Slytherin class arrives with Gryffindor in tow, all the while Hermione staring forward with fury and Tom smirking beside her. And it continues in this fashion, Hermione becoming more irritated as minutes pass and Slughorn dawdling along in his innocent joy. Looks are sent and Abraxas warily watches Riddle, eyes sharpening as Tom leans to whisper in Hermione's ear.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were avoiding me," he hisses sharply, looking to her face with mischief and a fake sense of charm. Hermione meets his gaze, no longer frozen to her unworldliness, her doe-eyes boring into the darkness of his own with fake innocence.

"Of course not, Tom. I have no reason to avoid you, now do I?" Hermione knows that he perceives her false intentions, but it will not stop her from taunting him.

"Do you?" Tom asks back, face now cold at her brazenness and willing to curse her if not for the audience.

Hermione looks to the Dark Lord with her deep eyes, considering his plot to use her. She does not know what he is playing at, questioning her attention to him as if she is his significant other. And thus, she manages a short "....No."

"Alright class," Slughorn addresses the students, saving Hermione from the trickiness of Voldemort as their eyes turn to the professor. "Today we will begin brewing the Polyjuice Potion in preparation of your N.E.W.T.S..  Would anyone like to tell me the properties and effects of this potion?"

It comes as no surprise when two hands raise, and no more shock when Slughorn chooses on the new girl, intending to test her intelligence. "Miss Granger?"

"The Polyjuice Potion allows for a wizard to temporarily adopt the body of another person, though it has been known on occasion, and through accidents, to give humans attributes of non-humanoid species. The potion is made in two separate parts which must individually brew for one month before use. Before the final ingredient is added, the potion is known to appear muddy and thick, though it has a bubbly consistency. After the final ingredient is added, however, the potion develops a color attributed to the person being depicted. The ingredients of the potion include lacewing flies (which are stewed for 21 days), leeches, powdered bicorn horn, knotgrass, full-moon harvested fluxweed, shredded boomslang skin, and a portion of the person intended to be depicted."

Hermione Granger might have been proving herself all day, but this answer ought to be the true inducer of surprise for both professor and students. The girl, determined in all her tasks, will not have a professor doubting her intelligence, especially due to the fact that she is a woman. And, if Hermione knows any potion out there, it is the Polyjuice Potion.

"Twenty points to Slytherin! Brilliant, Miss Granger!" Slughorn shouts, though Hermione does not blush at the praise since she expected as much. Rather, she is surprised as the teacher continues to address her on a personal level. "Now, tell me, have you ever brewed this potion before? You seem well acquainted with it."

"Many times, Professor." ...And not always for the most virtuous of reasons.

"When did you first?" the man continues, so overcome in his appreciation for the brilliant young witch.

"When I was thirteen, Professor Slughorn." Hermione is very proud of this, and it shows in her cordial tone.

"Thirteen! Very impressive, Miss Granger!" the professor, stunned and awed, exclaims as he claps his hands singularly and then takes to the rest of the lesson. Beaming in pride, Hermione cannot help the swell of her heart at the praise, no matter who it comes from. The girl's confidence does derive from her intelligence, after all.

Tom Riddle--for the second time in a few minutes--leans into Hermione, his breath ghosting her neck and sending shivers into her heart. His voice, snakelike and sharp like daggers, slithers forth and makes her reconsider the confidence in intelligence.

"Very impressive, indeed." It's not a compliment, but a threat.

Hermione shivers.

///////////

Time passes slower in this time, Hermione finds as days pass in slow rhythms and patterns. She figures it is due to the 'normal' routine of this new student life, no longer helping Harry plot actions against Voldemort or taking on volleys of Death Eaters. Hermione buries herself in her studies, achieving the highest of scores, though continuing to match Riddle in nearly everything. Of course, they each have their strengths, with Hermione dominating in Ancient Runes and Arithmancy, whereas Riddle seems to always lead in Defense and Potions. And though there is an unspoken competition between them, Hermione never challenges the Dark Lord verbally, holding her facade with respect and doing his bidding without hesitation. They may be equals in the classroom, but they are far from this outside academics. She is his slave, and he is her master.

Clarence Nevarse becomes the greatest female friend that Hermione's ever had in her years at Hogwarts. Unlike Cho, she's not driven by attraction. Unlike Luna, she's not entranced with the mythical more than she is entranced with reality. And unlike Ginny, she's not quick to anger. Hermione and Clary spend hours studying in the library every day, growing closer and achieving success in their academics. The white-haired female never speaks bad of anyone, including Tom Riddle, and that is a refreshing aspect in Hermione's life.

And when Hermione is away from Clary, she's with Abraxas. Their friendship blossoms with stories told and conversations spent near the Black Lake, still icy and snowy. He becomes another Harry to the girl, his smile warming her heart, though his cunning easily matches that of Tom Riddle. The Malfoy heir is unlike the family Hermione knows, and it leaves her questioning why Lucius and Draco are so cruel given Abraxas's kindness. Something must have happened to her friend between here and there, and Hermione does not know if she wishes to understand what exactly this was.

The Knight meetings continue with an acquired ease, her mask becoming firmer and easier as each one passes in curses. Never having to face the Cruciatus herself, Hermione watches it all: Rosier struggling with some task (she expects it to be about horcruxes), the scrunched faces of Lestrange, Avery, and Dolohov as they're cursed for failures, and Tom's smirk as Mulciber and Nott do well in their research for the Dark Lord. It becomes a routine, but Hermione knows her deadline is nearly arrived for her task to recruit Malfoy.

The last friday of the January month has Hermione with fourteen hours to recruit Abraxas. Sitting in the Defense room with the Slytherins around her puts pressure on her shoulders, though Abraxas does not seem to notice from his seat beside Hermione. But unlike him, Clary had noticed in their previous class, taking Hermione through 'breathing exercises' to little success. Hermione appreciates the gesture but she doubts oxygen can help her succeed in Voldemort's task.

"As planned," Merrythought, the Defense professor, begins as she sweeps into the room with McGonagall-like hair, "today we will be dueling for the first time this semester. I will be calling you up based on your grades for your last assignment, lowest being first and highest being last."

Sighing, Hermione leans back into her chair, knowing she'll be last in this duel and giving her a nice chance to strategize. Unintentionally catching Tom's eye, he raises an eyebrow at her relaxed reaction, but she chooses to ignore it as the students begin to duel.

She can feel the dark energy of Tom Riddle crackle with anger as the Knights are the first duellers in the class, understanding why once she sees them fight. Gone are the talented dark wizards of her time, like Bellatrix Lestrange, as the Knights manage to almost hex the class more than they hex each other. Truly, it is a poor sight to see, and Tom Riddle's anger is understandable as the class progresses forward with better, though still poor duels. Luckily for Hermione, Tom relaxes as the clock closes in on the end of class. Five minutes remain when Abraxas easily defeats Lestrange in their duel, each receiving decent scores on the assignment.

"Last up: Tom Riddle and Hermione Granger--equally perfect in their last assignment," Merrythought says, prompting Hermione to stand as Abraxas sits to her left. Gulping, Hermione realizes that all her training with Remus over the summer preceded this moment, her feet moving calmly up the steps to stand on the elevated front of the classroom. Tom follows from the desk behind her, his strides far more confident than hers and nearly a runway strut. The boy has never lost a duel, everyone knows, as he grin at his newest victim and she fixes him with a cold look from her opposite position.

"You may begin," Merrythought speaks, prompting Riddle's immediate spell, his aggression failing to surprise anyone.

"Stupefy!" A powerful spell, and quick too, speeds towards Hermione, though she is too used to such spells as these.

"Protego!" Hermione counters, repelling the spell with an equally strong shield that Tom Riddle has yet to see in an opponent.

"Immobulus!" he shouts on the offensive.

"Protego!" she counters again, Tom easily avoiding the ricochet by ducking. She switches their roles, wand swinging out in her concentration. "Flipendo!"

"Protego!" Tom counters, reaching the point of his typical victory, "Levicorpus!" Hermione almost blanches at the spell, not expecting it given that Snape 'invented' it. In her shock, the spell hits her.

She recovers quickly with a "Liberacorpus!" as Tom stares at her with shock. The spell was one found in the randomest of tomes in the Restricted Section. He'd never seen anyone beat it. But, Hermione continues, "Obscuro!"

"Protego," Tom manages, Hermione barely dodging the powerful reflection.

"Avis! Oppugno!" Hermione shouts, Tom covering his face at the powerful canary attack, a strange combination of spells. But, unlike her other partners in duels, Tom learns fast.

"Immobulus!" he shouts, the birds easily dropping around him as he steps towards, breaking the fallen birds as if they're mere twigs.

"Serpensortia!" Hermione sends, curious as to how Tom will react to the snake, given Harry's reaction back in second year. And, catching the miniscule glint in Hermione's eye, Tom watches her with a sharp gaze, consequently gaining the upper hand due to her curiosity.

"Expulso!" he commands at the snake, causing it to explode. "Aguamenti!" Water shoots from his wand, surely the most powerful version of the spell that Hermione has ever seen, ducking in shock and providing Tom with the perfect opportunity to win. "Expelliarmus!"

He grabs the wand that flies into the air, a sign of victory as others gape.

Hermione stands steadily to her feet, chin raised in strength and pride, surely proud of herself for standing so long against Voldemort. It's a feat that few have succeeded in, even during his early years, and to be one of them sends another vein of confidence running through her body.

"Very impressive, Tom and Hermione!" Merrythought exclaims, wonder present on her older features. "In all my years, I do not think I've ever seen such a brilliant duel between equally-matched students! A round of applause for these two!"

The class claps quickly, awed by the two, and especially Hermione given Tom's typical dominance. Riddle offers Hermione her wand as he struts closer to her, the girl's eyes rising to meet his. Snatching it quickly but without disrespect, Hermione sees the positive impression she has made on him, some progress in her task for Dumbledore. Maybe defeat really is victory.

Returning to her seat, Hermione sees Abraxas watching her worriedly, not resembling the others who stare at her with shock. And though everyone is in a trance at the duel, Merrythought begins assigning work for the weekend in the remaining moments of class.

"That's the longest I've ever seen someone last against Tom," Abraxas whispers to her, writing down the assignment on empty parchment as Hermione does the same next to him.

"Well, my parents were Aurors," Hermione emphasizes, not paying Abraxas a look even as he turns to her. "I was taught much."

"Where you learned it does not matter. Tom will be interested in you now," Malfoy says, as Merrythought then dismisses the class, leaving their conversation to no prying ears as shuffling is heard.

Hermione does not pay Malfoy any words, guilt digging into her, as she continues on with the day in a bout of great silence. She answers the professor's questions and nothing more, not even paying a gaze to Tom as he sits next to her in Ancient Runes. Time, for this very reason, passes slowly but with ease as dinner arrives and Hermione eats silently. Abraxas sits across from her, granting no words, but he proceeds to drag her out to the Black Lake for their daily relaxation.

They stand in silence for minutes before Hermione acquires the nerves to divulge the truth of their situation. "I have not been completely honest with you."

"In what way?" Abraxas asks of her curiously, though warily as the cold stings their cheeks pink.

"I am already involved with Tom Riddle," Hermione says, keeping her gaze locked on the distant waters so as to keep her confidence in this moment

"Hermione--"

"Not in the way you're thinking," the girl cuts in, sensing his disappointment before she turns to his saddened grey eyes. "You could say I am a part of his little club."

"'You could say?' Does that or does that not mean you are one of his followers?" Abraxas asks, his molten grey eyes darkening slightly in anger as her dishonesty with him after all this time.

"I guess it does," Hermione whispers and prompting Abraxas to turn his head back to the Lake.

"And here I thought you were too kind," he mutters with some sort of bitterness, expecting the worst of her, it would seem.

"Once again, you've misinterpreted me," Hermione says, catching her foot in the metaphorical closing door as her strength becomes firmer. "I am not part of it for some 'mudblood inferiority' propaganda or power-grabbing. I want to stop him."

He turns back to her with a raised eyebrow, not humoured but surprised with her words. "You know more about him than you lead on..."

"I do, but so do you," Hermione reciprocates, grinning at him in a way that bodes well for the future of their friendship.

"That is very true," Abraxas says, smiling slightly before turning to seriousness in a typical way. "And what do you suppose I do? Tell the Minister that Tom Riddle is killing mudbloods in Hogwarts? They'll lock me up in St. Mungo's."

"That's why we need to take him down from the inside. He wants to recruit you. I propose you accept," Hermione says, feeling slightly guilty at how she is using him, though Hermione realizes she isn't. Abraxas would be a valuable ally in destroying Voldemort, and she intends to use this option for as long as she is here. For the Greater Good.

"And then what?" he asks, skeptical about the seemingly faulty plan of the brilliant witch.

"When the time comes, we will feed information to people like Dumbledore...those who suspect Tom already. We will be their little spies," Hermione says, the plan coming easily to her though she had yet to think about it in her whole month here.

"Cunning..." Abraxas zones off, before snapping back to her. "I like it. When do we start?"

"Tonight. There's a meeting at midnight in the Room of Requirement. Do you know it?"

"Of course. I've had some fun times there," the boy responds cheekily, prompting Hermione to grimace in response though refusing to respond to that.

"I will meet you there, then. But for now, I need to do the Charms essay," Hermione says, ever concentrated on her work as she turns her back to the Lake. "Care to join?"

"With Clarence?" the boy asks warily, knowing Hermione spends a great amount of time with the energetic and fairly-irritating Head Girl.

"Yes..." Hermione drawls, looking at Abraxas with a mask of confusion at his question.

"I'll pass. I can only take that enthusiasm in small doses," Abraxas says, making an understandable point. So, Hermione nods her head to the Malfoy heir, leaving him to the Lake as she takes the library. And though she's succeeded in her recruitment task, Hermione fears tonight's meeting more than any prior, reasons unknown but gut stirring anxiously. 

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 506 36
*ALERT: this is a Doctor Who fanfiction, nothing else :) Lily has been friends with Clara Oswald since the first day of school when she was 11. One d...
51.3K 1.3K 72
Going to Comic Con had always been a life long dream that Jade had been wanting to go to. She goes with her friends and while there she gets to meet...
2.2M 114K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
1M 54.1K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...