Author Games: Ace of Spades

By TheRealEnemy

"People would do anything for money, wouldn't they? They'd risk their loved ones, their humanity, and even th... More

Welcome to Milena Seble
Casino Rules
Slot Machines & Sponsorships
The Aces
RSVPs & The Indemnity Form
Male One - Adam Burke (josie-tee)
Female One - Florence French (ariel-lannister)
Male Two - Blorange Orange (a-k-a-anonymous)
Female Two - Emma Smith (Squad53)
Male Three - Milo Periander (lostwithmyfriends)
Female Three - Aoife Callahan (TheCatKing)
Male Four - Rafael (FreedomAuthorGames)
Female Four - Sushi Wasabi Salmon (WhovianHorseLover)
Male Five - Garson Blake (Poweratsea)
Female Five - Carrot Cream Bagels (DisfiguredStars)
Male Six - Ren Cayse (ShayTree)
Female Six - Dia Monde (-erudite-)
Male Seven - Dr. Henry West Jr. (Puke-A-Tronic)
Female Seven - Addilyn Devella (Soft_Serve7)
Male Eight - Havarti Fontina (iamtheLAWtheREALone)
Female Eight - Coraline Keller (AlyssaVienesseTan)
Female Nine - Dawn Everhart (TheShineOfTheMoon)
Female Ten - Acantha Embry (ImpossiblyFiery)
Female Eleven - Valentina 'Val' Daley (wordsmith-)
Female Twelve - Cupcake Maybelline Sprinkles (Clara-impossible)
Task One: Show Your Cards
Task One: Males
Task One: Females
Task One: Scores, Notes & Rankings
Task Two: To Anyone
Task Two: Males
Task Two: Females
Task Two: Scores and Rankings
Task Two: Voting
Task Three: Suit Yourself
How to Play Texas Hold'em
Task Three: Males
Task Three: Females
Task Three: Scores and Rankings
Task Three: Voting
Task Four: Roll It
Task Four: Males
Task Four: Females
Task Four: Scores and Rankings
Task Four: Voting
Quarterfinals: All Or Nothing
Quarterfinals: Adam Burke
Quarterfinals: Florence French
Quarterfinals: Aoife Callahan
Quarterfinals: Sushi Wasabi Salmon
Quarterfinals: Ren Cayse
Quarterfinals: Addilyn Devella
Quarterfinals: Dawn Everhart
Quarterfinals: Valentina 'Val" Daley
Quarterfinals: Cupcake Maybelline Sprinkles
Quarterfinals: Notes and Byes
Quarterfinals: Voting
Semifinals: All In
**IMPORTANT NOTE**
Semifinals: Adam Burke
Semifinals: Florence French
Semifinals: Aoife Callahan
Semifinals: Ren Cayse
Semifinals: Addilyn Devella
Semifinals: Dawn Everhart
Semifinals: Voting
Finals: River Round
Finals: Adam Burke
Finals: Florence French
Finals: Aoife Callahan
Finals: Addilyn Devella
Finals: Voting
Special Awards
A Compilation of Thanks
Results

Finals: Ren Cayse

128 13 3
By TheRealEnemy

"Are you okay, Cayse?"

"I am okay." 

"How do you feel, Ren?"

"Never better, sir."

"Have you ever blamed yourself for what occurred at Milena Seble?"

"I have not, ma'am."

"Did you try to stop what happened?"

"I tried my best."

"Are you happy, Ren?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"How about we schedule another appointment, hm?"

"As long as you keep asking for money, I'll keep coming."

Change  was often very much associated with time, and, in the seven years that  things had become safe and settled, everything had changed. "Everything"  was classified as little things that, when put beside an image of what  it'd been like before, had stark differences. Children had gone to  university and came out as doctors, and lawyers, and business  executives, then they'd grown and gotten married and built a family in  their little boxes.

Yes, people and places changed, but the little boxes and what they contained did not.

The  way the sun beat down still made Ren sweat as he twirled the steering  wheel and went down yet another familiar lane. Kids still biked their  way through the streets and raced one another, and later, they'd all  still be sent to summer camp just like Ren had when he was younger.  Houses were still situated in cramped rows, the same design, with the  same sorts of families inside. They were all made out of ticky-tacky,  and to him, they all looked just the same.

Up  an off-road he drove, up to acres of seclusion, not the hillside, but a  cliffside, where his home sat, still a box, but not quite as close to  the rest.

The  day had only seemed to drag on with conversations he never really  wanted to get involved in, with smiles and laughs that weren't genuine,  with little falters in his speech as he realized that the people that  surrounded him only sat there for the sake of collecting his bills.

The  day had dragged, yes, and so did his feet as he used what was left of  his energy to slam his car door shut and walk his way up to the door of  his house, his home, and fumbled with keys he'd used a number of times.  It was late enough that the white hot light hanging above the porch was  on, but not so late that it was pitch black outside. It was more of a  darkening blue, light but dim. Soon the black would spill over. It  always did.

He breathed in the fresh air while he could until a click sounded in the door, and he pushed his way inside.

He  was discouraged when he found that the lights were on, as was the  television in the living room to the right of him, displaying the  regular news cases of massacres and murders, because things never change, do they, Cayse?

He  was quick to drop the bag at his feet and slug the suit jacket off his  shoulders, hanging it up on a hook by the front door. His shoes, tight  and blistery, were kicked off soon after, and once he'd made himself  comfortable he stepped forward, ready to head up to bed and end the day  like he would any other night.

At his first step, however, he heard the chink of a blade being jammed into wood.

Slowly, with nervous laughter bubbling up on his lips, he looked to the left and shrugged. "Honey, I'm home?"

The  man stood behind an island in the kitchen, his hand wrapped around the  handle of a knife pushed deep in the center of a chopping board. Lights  were bright behind him, making the brown hair atop his head shine and,  frankly, making a scene Ren would've expected to find in a horror movie.  It was solidified by a playful smirk on his lips. "You missed dinner."

Ren  sighed. "Please don't go crazed housewife on me. Next thing I know  you'll be standing outside the shower with, I don't know, a...a cheese grater or something, prepared to grind me into bits."

The  man's smirk widened at that, and he let go of the knife, letting it sit  prim and proper where it was as he wound his way around the island and  hopped his way down to where Ren stood by the door. "Would you say  you're mozzarella or parmesan? I know you're not cheddar, because I hate  cheddar with a passion."

"I am most definitely cheddar, Michael," Ren said, rolling his eyes to the ceiling.

The  supposed Michael only chuckled and wrapped his arms around Ren like a  child would to a teddy bear. The latter was left standing in the embrace  awkwardly, and though he didn't mind the hug, the series of events  throughout the day had soured his movements. I knew I should've teepeed their houses instead, damn it.

A  series of light pecks to his cheek melted away the ice, though, and  soon he found himself hugging back, taking comfort in the fact that  there was somebody that truly knew him, truly cared for him like a  partner should. Over Michael's shoulder, he sighed. "Today royally  sucked."

"Yeah,"  Michael replied, drumming fingers against his shoulder, "you seem  tired. Usually you're more...witty? Sarcastic? Annoying?"

"The  self-esteem just rises and rises," Ren said flatly, pulling away. His  next words were far more interested, though, clear and genuine. "Where's  Sammie?"

"In  bed." Michael's brows went up, inquisitive, and Ren waved his hand at  the familiar expression that meant he'd be dealt questions as quickly as  cards. "Spill. What happened?"

Even  quicker than the question came, Ren smirked and dodged both the  question - and Michael - with silence, taking long strides to gather up  the bag he'd left at the door. His fingers fumbled with the zipper time  and time again, for they always trembled, non-stop, at any given time throughout the day, and now was no exception.

Michael  stepped up to hover behind him, no doubt with that subtle curiosity he  was known for, chin resting upon Ren's shoulder as he stared down at  what might come out of the bag. Ren only sighed, lids falling over his  eyes as he pulled out a square box the size of his palm. It was covered  in shining green paper, solidified with a red ribbon, like a little  present that the chunky house intruder of the twenty-fifth would likely  leave. 

His  lips were pursed and his brows were knit as he lifted it up for Michael  to examine. The husband reached out to take it, but Ren played a  different game, pulling it just out of his reach so he could explain the  rules. "You can only open this after three twenty-five. My only  condition."

Michael huffed. "What is it?"

Ren frowned. "You'll find out at three twenty-five, you impatient swine."

"And  that's why I love you." A round of heavy chuckles sounded by his ear,  and though Ren was tempted to smile, he didn't allow himself that much,  only ducking his head and gathering up the bag before heading upstairs,  where Michael set an alarm, and Ren kept close watch that he didn't peel  back the wrapping of the box too early.

Hours passed like that, one sleeping, and one staring at the ceiling as time ticked on and the pitch black poured onto the sky.

Night  was quite the seductress, flouncing around in lacy black that trailed  over every inch of skin he left exposed, and the temptation was hard to  ignore, but somehow he managed. His old sense of self was always  snatched up by the greedy golds of daylight, but for some reason or  another, dusk went in and delivered it back. Seven years of deprived  day, seven years of relieved night.

But  with his sense of self came a heavy weight that continued to press down  and down and down upon his chest until he felt as though he could  barely breathe. Buckles were tight, while jackets lay limp and roomy off  his form - no, no, shit, no: that was before the invite.

No blankets lay over him, and he craned to glance at a clock on the bedside table by his head. 2:50, it read in digital oranges, flicking to something closer to day than he was content with.

Ren  felt himself moving, without the mind to tell him what to do. His feet  met cold tile, his bones ached as he shifted and stood. A mindless  glance was cast back to the man deep in slumber, and briefly, Ren  thought he looked peaceful.

Then he left the room with no reason to head back in.

The  house was easy to navigate, and soon he had his arms digging deep into  the fridge until he'd come out with a little bottle with a satisfying  little substance inside.

His  elbows struck the counter and he flicked off the cap. He'd done  something similar a few times before, but only once - right then - did  he mouth the words, "cheers, to Milena Seble."

The  bottle was so cold it was hot against his lips, and he took several  generous gulps until the pain in his lungs was near torturing him.  "Cheers, to Milena Seble," he whispered in the dark, feeling nauseous at  the sound of his own croaking voice. "The place that fucked me ten  times over." He tossed more liquid to the back of his throat, hissing  when he'd swallowed it down. "And will continue to make my life a  boiling pot of shit." Another heavy swallow, another wave of acidic  pain. "Simply because karma is one stubborn bitch."

He  pressed the bottle back to his lips, prepared for another onslaught of  burning, but his hands were shaking so badly that he couldn't keep the  tip on his mouth. Eventually, he just gave up, slamming the bottle down  on the counter and huffing at his own incompetence. His lips quivered  against his will, and to somehow staunch what might've been the  beginnings of some nervous breakdown, he dug his nails into counter, dug  his tooth in his lip.

Don't lose it, don't lose it, don't lose it.

Even  though it was nearly pitch black in the room, he could see the outline  of furniture beginning to blur, could feel the burning prickle slide  over his eyes.

It wasn't your fault, it wasn't, it wasn't.

His arms slid over the countertop, and soon he'd hunched over, burying his face in the crook of his neck.

You are to blame, you are, you are.

His  shoulders heaved in silence. Sleeves grew wet and stuck to his skin,  and a smooth sort of stickiness spread over his cheeks.

You're a grown ass man. Why are you crying?

An  echo of his words sounded through the silence, but he deemed it a  figment of his imagination. Such a figment couldn't be ignored once it  was repeated, though.

"Daddy? Why are you crying?"

Ren  lifted his head immediately, quickly swiping his sleeves over his  cheeks and catching his breath in the darkness. "I'm not, sweetie. I'm  not." His voice was stuffy and backed up - it was obvious.

"Are  you okay?" The voice was small and petite, with a genuine concern that  those who were as young as the little girl gave to everyone despite who  they might be.

I'm not, sweetie. I'm not.

"I'm  great," Ren said, heading over to flick on the kitchen light. His  fingers hovered over the switch, not quite sure he wanted to make his  streaked face clear. Instead, he coughed, and scratched the back of his  head. "What are you, um, what are you doing up?"

"Can you get me some water, please, daddy?"

Every  time she called him that, he felt his insides begin to crumble away,  but nodded and got out a small Disney princess cup all the same. It took  a bit of hesitation, but he flicked on the light, keeping his back to  her.

As the tap ran, he pinched his nose between his fingers, sighing. How long's she been there? Did she hear me say all those things? His stomach twisted with the thought that maybe she had.

He had a potty mouth, but he'd never cussed with her present.

The  girl, no older than five years, swung her arms back and forth,  committing a vain attempt at whistling. It turned out something like  blowing raspberries. Ren stared out of the corner of his eye and bit his  lip. She shared no resemblance to the pair, but that meant nothing to  him - she'd been raised by them both since she was three months old and,  though they were a few hellish years, Ren loved her like she was his  own.

If he was ever asked, he'd probably say she was the only one he truly gave a shit about.

With the knowledge that Sammie would see his face eventually, he turned around and handed her the cup.

She  stared up at his face, never taking a drink. A lock of mousy brown fell  in front of her face and she blew it away, squinting up at him. He  coughed a few times, averting his gaze, but it always fell back on her,  and those amber eyes that seemed so confused at what she saw.

"Daddy, why are you so sad all the time?"

Ren  felt his heart drop. "Why do you think I'm sad?" Whereas he'd be  expected to say it with bitterness on his tongue, every word was  expressed softly, even through the slurs that sat there.

"Mikey  said that sometimes people are sad 'cause they hurt someone they love,  and sometimes it's 'cause they got hurt by someone they love." She  tucked her lip between her teeth, as if the conversation was one she was  nervous to get into. "Are you sad 'cause you got hurt?"

Ren  considered turning back, considered walking away from the whole thing,  but he was compelled to drop down to his knees, place his hands on  Sammie's shoulders, and look her straight in the eyes, even if they were  bloodshot and puffy. It took him a while to get actual words out, but  he managed.

"I  hurt someone pretty bad. A few people, actually. And I couldn't feel  any worse about it. That's why I'm sad." He nodded as a means to see if  she understood.

Sammie nodded, but Ren hadn't finished.

"I  want you to always, always remember that, no matter where I am, or  where you are, or where Mikey is, that we will always love you, and that  I will always love the both of you, even when I'm mad or sad or just  really far away. Never forget it, never. Promise me you won't."

He  didn't notice the hitches in his voice or the heat on his cheeks until  Sammie was wiping her little fingers over them, cleaning up what'd  fallen. "I promise."

Ren  stared, nodded. "Good." He sniffed. "Good." Up he went, standing and  nudging her off with her little princess cup. "Now go back to bed,  little rascal."

She  smiled her near toothless smile at him before turning tail and heading  back up the stairs, her tiny feet pattering across the polished  floorboards until she was nowhere to be seen.

Ren  was alone again, and the loneliness hardened him as he walked his way  over to the door, slipped his shoes on, and grabbed his jacket.

He  didn't bother to take his house key, and with the knowledge that he  wouldn't need them again, he stepped out into the frigid night air,  feeling some sense of freedom in the mist that spread from his lips.

Ren  allowed himself five more seconds to stand in front of the door, just  listening to the lap of waves against the cliffside they were situated  upon, before leaving it all behind for good. The car that awaited him in  the drive was a dark blue camaro from decades before, an old model he'd  gotten for cheap, mostly due to the owner being just about ready to set  it ablaze.

The  one key he'd brought with him was the car key, and he was quick to  unlock the door and slip inside, letting the engine purr for quite a  while as he situated everything he needed, as he made sure everything  was in order.

He  was ecstatic to see that the passenger seat was empty, void of green  boxes similar to the one he'd given Michael. He'd delivered two more  earlier in the day. One went to a man considered a patient by doctors, a  lunatic by outsiders, and a friend by Ren. The other had gone to a pair  of artificial women in their fifties, two women that called themselves  his mother, even if they hadn't recognized him when he showed up on  their doorstep for delivery.

The  same directions had gone to all three: "Open this at three  twenty-five." He knew his mothers would stay awake for the chance to  somehow make up for the twenty years they'd gone without. The friend,  whom he called B, would await purely for the chance to say he knew what  Ren had planned. Michael would awake when he had to simply because Ren  said to - he was an awfully curious man.

Ren had a box of his own, but he had no ribbons to sweeten things up with. It sat in the glove compartment.

With  everything in order, he put his foot on the gas, and with the crunch of  tires over pebbles, a drop of rain struck his windshield.

I told you, Milo, that the world is just nothing but a bunch of selfish assholes. I'm no exception.

He  frowned at himself, at the clouding and clogging of his thoughts, and  switched on the radio to occupy himself in other ways. Above the dials  he twisted was the clock: 3:15.

He blasted the volume and drove on.

The  road he travelled was one that was never rode in the late hours of the  night, a one-lane expanse of winding asphalt that sat a little too close  to the cliffside for anyone's comfort. Rails kept vehicles at bay, but  usually did little to ease a driver's worries. Ren, however, felt more  carefree on that road than he did anywhere, and found it a comfort to  speed up. The rain picked up to a light sprinkle.

Through the clouds shone a moon, which ended up casting some bluish sort of dark instead of black.

It was simple; it was perfect.

With  nothing else to linger on, he thought back to the boxes and their  contents. For the patient, he'd tug away the ribbon to find nothing more  than a large stone inside. To anyone else, it'd seem like some joke,  but Ren was positive that B would stare down at it and start a string of  curses.

Being surrounded for ten years by four walls of stone did that to a person.

For  the mothers, they'd sit around a table and tear away at the green  wrapping to find an oval mirror that would fit across the span of their  palms. When they looked at their reflections, they would expect to find  perfection. The thing was, the mirror was cracked: their faces would be  marred and deformed, the very definition of imperfect, and then they'd  wonder if it'd broken in the exchange.

Ren knew it was purposeful.

For  the husband, he'd wipe his tired eyes and flip each of the cardboard  flaps until he found a little band of gold. Underneath that would be a  picture, one where their arms were draped over each other's shoulders.  In their free hands would be a dainty one - those of a little girl being  lifted up on her third birthday. They'd all be smiling.

And  at the very bottom of each of those boxes would be a folded slip of  paper, handwritten three times over. They would squint their eyes and  begin unfolding, and by three twenty-six, they'd be reading the steady  font intently.

"To those reading," it would start,  "I just want to say that there's a reason I sent this to you. For some  reason or another, you clever fuckers have managed to take my mind off  the guilt. Applause to you! You've either made my life better, or  reminded me of how shit it was beforehand, sometimes both. Just think of  these little knick-knacks of awards, gifts of my appreciation, if you  will. Now read on, and make it snappy, because you've got two minutes to  reach the end."

Ren  flicked an overhead light on, and afterwards, he draped his entire body  over to the other side of the car, clicking open the glove compartment  while simultaneously working the wheel. His hands trembled as they  always did as he patted around. His fingers eventually crinkled over  plastic and something rectangular, papery.

He grinned to himself and snatched up the box, slamming the compartment shut and making himself comfortable again.

It was a cigarette box, and inside was one old, stale cigarette.

"To  my friend of twelve years, I want to thank you for sticking by my side  until I left, and for helping me get back on my feet after everything  went down. Even though you were the most annoying piece of shit I've ever  come across, I wouldn't dare consider anyone else a friend. All those  people, they were the same, but you were markedly different. This is all  I really have to say to you other than it's about time I do something  stupid again. Goodbye, B. I would wish you luck, but you won that bet."

He  shook the box until it opened, and pulled the bitter stick out with his  teeth, discarding the box to the back seat. Fingers swished through his  front pocket until he held a metallic lighter. The other head was stuck  on the wheel.

When the rain picked up, so did the speed of the car.

"To  the women that birthed me, I want to thank you for building me up to be  the man I am today. I'm sure you'd be terribly proud of the heathen  I've become under the watch of guards and therapists. The sixteen years I  spent with you before you shipped me away were wonderful: any kid would  dream of watching their mothers smile and wave to the neighbours before  closing the doors and going absolutely batshit. No one saw the smudged  mascara, or the bruises that sat under all that makeup. No one saw you  with a bottle of alcohol unless they invited you over for a martini, and  no one heard you holler and scream unless they sat just outside the  windows to watch your shadows attack one another. So thank you, mother,  mother, for being just as guilty as I am. P.S: you called yourself my  family, but to me, you're just a family. Stay away from my real one."

The  flickering orange was hot on his face, and he placed the flame upon the  very tip of the cigarette. It was rancid and bitter - seven years did  that to something. The lighter joined the empty box in the back seat.

His fingers settled over the steering wheel, and for once, they didn't tremble.

"To  Michael, the man I married: I'm sorry. After everything happened, you  were there to support me all the way. The first time I saw you, I  thought you'd been someone else. The light in that bar made you look  like a ginger, and you'd gone days without shaving. But I'm glad I did  mistake you for that man - you gave me so many things to be happy about,  even if I stopped being happy a long time ago. Remember that I love  you, and I love Sammie, and I don't wanna hear about you telling her bad  things about me, you hear?

"You took the guilt away, but now it's back, and I don't really know what to do other than this. Again, I love you."

He  removed his hand from the wheel for a few seconds to spit out the smoke  collecting in his lungs, but quickly put it back. His arm went out the  window - the coldness of the rain sent his heart into overdrive, and his  foot pressed down on the gas.

He floored it with one hand on the wheel and embers blazing at his lips.

"This  note is just about over, but there's one thing I want to make clear: I  am many things, but a liar isn't one of them. I don't lie when I say  that I'm just one more element in the cesspool that is slowly, slowly rising, deepening, ebbing, flowing. There is absolutely nothing  that one of us, or a dozen of us, or hundreds or thousands or millions  of us can do to stop the buildup of hate and violent. Parasites live not  few and far between, but in every one of us. Not a single person in  this world is free of sucking the life out of something else. Even you.  Remember that."

His smile deepened with the glow of bright embers before they fell away into ash on his lap. "It grows as I speak."

Ren glanced at the clock: 3:26.

It  would be switching over to the number he'd been waiting for soon  enough. His eyes switched up to the rearview mirror and he saw that fine  shade of green he'd always prided his appearance on more than anything.  He smiled around the cigarette, which he soon plucked out of his mouth  and held to the sky.

"Cheers,  to Milena Seble!" He flicked it out the window, cackling like the  madman he'd been seven years before. "The place that might land me in a  coffin before the night is done."

At 3:27,  he jerked the wheel sharply to the left. The scratch of metal was  deafening, but it was momentary, and soon the sensation of falling was  primary as he plummeted to the roaring waves below.

"Are you okay, Cayse?"

"I am not okay."

"How do you feel, Ren?"

"I feel like shit, sir."

"Have you ever blamed yourself for what occurred at Milena Seble?"

"All day, every day, ma'am."

"Did you try to stop what happened?"

"Hah! Are you kidding? I caused half of it!"

"Are you happy, Ren?"

"Does the smile throw you off that much?"

"What are you thinking right now?"

"At least I still look hot as hell."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 58 19
The four kingdoms are in turmoil, constantly bickering over how to make their lands and lives better, but never actually doing anything except threat...
16K 688 15
A Betting Game in which Instead of Horses...it's Humans... Lives at Stake at Every Passing Round A Life Sacrificed, More Money Earned 6 GAMES - 456 P...
89.4K 2.7K 44
Dan realized that becoming a successful lawyer requires a lot of work and he's not up for that. He decides to drop out of uni and finds out how to ma...
150K 5.2K 48
"Is love supposed to feel this intoxicating?" ••• ⚠️TW: depictions of SA. Crude language. Violence. YANDERE ML! Read with care! ** means sex scenes •...