Apocalyptic Culture (Camren/N...

By IdyllicMentality

Everything seemed bleak in the world, but these girls were filled with hope. Hope to find a cure and save the... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI

XX

7.1K 340 311
By IdyllicMentality

Listen while you read:
Havick - Live This One

_______________________________

The newbies woke up early the next morning excited to learn new techniques. It was a bit of a shock for the other four women that they had all woken up before them. It was also a bit startling to Ian who walked passed the tired green eyed woman and almost got punched in the face by her.

"Easy!" Ian exclaimed dodging the raven haired woman's jab.

Lauren rubbed her eyes, "Ian. Sorry that was a reaction. You guys are up early." She yawned.

"Yeah, we wanted to get an early start on training." Lucy said happily.

"I'll wake Ally so they can practice getting some fish or something." Camila said tired.

"Ally is already awake and ready to go!" Allyson said emerging from behind the abandoned home fixing her hat.

"What where you doing back there?" Camila asked.

"Handling business. We don't exactly have a bathroom you know."

"Do you want us to help out, Ally?" Lauren asked.

"Nope, I can handle it. Camila, will you be joining us today or would you rather get a few more lessons in with Lauren?" The short woman winked.

"No, I'll pass. It's too early to get breakfast."

Ally nodded and ran off with the others into the woods. Lauren grabbed a canteen and took a sip out of it before handing it to Camila. Not long after, Dinah and Normani woke up, tired eyes and yawning.

"Alright, newbies, let's go!" Dinah yelled as she clapped her hands.

"Di-Dinah!" Lauren chuckled getting the Polynesians attention, "They're already gone."

Dinah furrowed her eye brows in confusion, "Really? Damn they're eager. Hey, Mila, aren't you part of that group?"

"Yeah, I wasn't really feeling up to it today." The brunette answered.

"Are you sick?" Normani asked walking over and placing her hand on Camila's forehead.

"No, I just didn't want to go today."

"Staying up late isn't a good idea now is it?" Dinah said.

Camila chuckled lightly, "I didn't get much sleep." She admitted.

"You didn't?" Lauren asked looking over at the second Floridian. "I could've sworn I fell asleep a bit after you did."

"I just pretended because I knew you would have stayed up with me trying to get me to sleep."

"Did you have a nightmare?" Normani asked.

"No, I just, " she paused briefly. "had a lot on my mind. Well nothing really. I was just trying to remember something, but nothing was coming back."

"We really are sorry about that. I wish we could take that night back." Dinah apologized once more.

"I don't. If you hadn't done that then I wouldn't have met you all." Camila smiled to each girl and turning to Lauren before taking her hand.

"Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't wish that away either. Because without you, we might not have Lauren today." Normani added.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Lauren asked slightly offended.

Normani shrugged, "A few weeks ago we couldn't get you to drink water without constantly pushing you to and Camila comes around giving you water and you take it in a heartbeat."

"Doesn't mean anything." Lauren said letting go of the brunettes hand.

"I didn't mean to offend you. I just meant that you and Camila seem very compatible."

"Alright let's just simmer down okay? It's too early for this and we haven't even had breakfast yet." Dinah said calmly. Lauren rolled her eyes in annoyance and began to walk off.

Meanwhile, Ally was walking through the woods with the others. The amount of bugs were growing as they got closer and closer to the stream. Ally almost smacked Michael in the face as she was trying to swat away some bugs.

"Oh! I'm so sorry. Did I hit you?" Ally asked with worry.

The green haired man chuckled, "No, I'm fine. I actually came over to ask if you were okay, Allyson."

"You can call me Ally you know."

"Well, Ally you know, are you okay?"

Ally smiled at the small joke, "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"Well the day we had to sleep in the van you seemed to have had a nightmare. You kept breathing heavily and saying a name. That could either mean it was a really good dream or a really bad one, but by the way you woke up I'm assuming it was a bad one." He smiled pointing at his injured cheek.

"Oh." Ally said slightly saddened as she looked away and adjusted her hat slightly so Michael wouldn't see her eyes watering up. "Yeah, I was just um-"

"It's okay. I don't want to pressure you into telling me. I just wanted to know if you were okay." The Australian man said sincerely.

Ally couldn't sum up anything to say. It's been a while since someone actually cared about her feelings and well being. She just hugged the colorful haired man tight as they began nearing the stream.

"Alright, Ally, what's the lesson here?" Ian asked already stepping into the stream.

"There are three ways to catch a fish in our case. Two by spears and one with your hands. I'll show you." She said stepping into the stream after giving Michael her hat.

"You can catch one with your hands?" Michael asked surprised as he adjusted the green camouflage hat on his head. "Oh I gotta see this."

"Then watch closely." Ally smirked.

Everyone watched from the side as Ally took her position near the fall of the stream. Her hands were up in front of her as she slightly crouched. Everyone watched as fish began swimming upstream. Ally was taking her time trying to pick out the best one. Fish going pass her quickly.

"She won't catch it." Ian whispered to Michael.

"I believe her. I think she will." Michael whispered.

"Bet?"

"Bet what?"

"I bet you that chocolate bar you've been hiding under the seat of the van."

Michael turned to the green eyed man in shock, "How do you know about that?"

"I have eyes in the back of my head. I see all." He said standing up straight. "Plus the rearview mirror helps."

"Alright, boys, prepare to be amazed." Ally said as she moved her hands further apart. Her brown eyes were locked on one fish that was coming up stream.

She watched as it began making its ascend up stream. It flew directly at Ally where she grasped it firmly. She smiled wide and turned to the group who smiled wide. It wasn't long until the fish began to wiggle free from the short Texans grip causing it to fall and swim away.

"That- that still counts as her catching it." Michael said turning to Ian.

"Well she dropped it so I'm not sure." He said scratching his chin.

"Half and half." They both said simultaneously.

Lucy clapped her hands, impressed that Allyson could even grab one, "You're my freaking hero."

Ally giggled, "But I dropped it."

"You still caught it though. That's pretty impressive in my book."

"Plus given the circumstances of being self taught, is very impressive." Calum said joining the girls.

"Alright and the second lesson is throwing the spear." Ally smiled grabbing her stick.

She took a stance with her spear up high and carefully eyed each fish that swam by. Suddenly her eyes opened wide and she threw her stick forcefully, where it began wiggling. Allyson smiled and retrieved her catch.

"See!" She said happily as the others smiled at her. "And you all know the other way because we did it last time we came fishing."

The girls grabbed their sticks while the boys wanted to try and catch it with their hands. Ally stood happily watching them. She felt proud that she was able to show people something they didn't know before. To see them so eager to put their skills to the test. Her smile was wiped clean off when she heard a twig snap from behind her. With her spear in hand she pointed it directly at the source of the noise. To her surprise, Lauren stood there with her hands up in defence and green eyes wide at the spear pointed at her neck.

"Lauren." Allyson exhaled. "You came." She said lowering the spear. "What are you doing here, silent grouch? Actually, I think you're just grouch now. Not so silent anymore." She smiled.

"I just wanted to check out how they're doing." Lauren said emotionless stuffing her hands into her black jean pockets.

Ally took notice to Lauren's bothered demeanor and glanced to the newbies then back at her. "Is something wrong?"

Lauren sighed shaking her head, "I just hate how they think I'm not capable of taking care of myself. Like who the hell do you think was protecting you for nine months."

Ally walked over to a bothered Lauren and gently rubbed her back, "Who said that?"

"Well technically they didn't say it, but I know that's what Normani and Dinah were insinuating."

"Well if they think you're incapable of taking care of yourself then they would be the ones watching out for you. If they didn't say it then they most likely didn't mean it in that way."

"Still, it seemed like that's what they meant." Lauren said as she looked at the newbies struggling to catch fish.

"Well we all have different view points on how we see things. Maybe they'll clear it up for you. Just try not to hold a grudge, it might've been a misunderstanding." Ally sighed.

Lauren scoffed, "Doubt it. I'm not weak. I don't want to be deemed as incapable to handle myself. And I don't hold grudges."

"Yeah, you do. In the week I was getting to know you, I knew you still didn't trust me because I tried stealing your stuff, hurt Dinah, and attacked you, but in my defence you followed me so I had to protect myself." Ally pointed out. "If you want my advice I think you should just forgive and forget. What're you gonna do?"

Lauren rolled her eyes at the short woman, "I'm just gonna do what I did before; protect myself and others without anymore distractions."

Ally furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and looked up at the green eyed woman, "Wait, is this about Camila?"

Lauren ignored the short woman's question and walked off towards the group to offer help. Lauren walked over to showed Lucy and Janel better standing techniques that could help them strike a fish better other than simply grazing it. Lauren's tutorial was stopped once she heard someone fall into the water. Everyone looked over to where the guys stood near the fall of the stream. There, Michael stood up from the water with a fish in his mouth. He wiped away his wet green hair out from his eyes and put the hat back on. The fish began wiggling in his mouth causing everyone to burst into giggles.

"First catch!" He said happily holding up his fish.

After a good time fishing they all decided to catch a break and sit by the creek. They watched as all the fish began to hop up the stream and continue their journey back home. Michael and Calum had their feet in the cool water while everyone else sat on the big boulders nearby.

"It's times like this where we gotta enjoy the little things." Janel said with a smile. Lauren looked over at the dark haired woman and smiled wide.

"It's best to do it now since the world is dying." Lauren said.

Michael then came up to the pair in fit of giggles with Ian as the two had berries up their nostrils. This caused everyone to laugh, but made Janel laugh louder as her face began turning red.

After an hour of catching fish and relaxing by the creek, the group finally returned to the campsite where they found Dinah and Normani sitting in the van. The group's laughs filled the air as they remembered the humorous events. The laughs caused Camila to exit from the tent and see the group smiling and giggling.

"Fun time fishing?" Camila smiled as the group passed her.

"Best time I've had in a while." Ian smiled.

"I caught a fish with my bear teeth." Michael smiled wide as he wore Ally's hat backwards.

"With his bear teeth!" Ian laughed shaking the green eyed man.

"Yeah, so don't eat the fish with the bite mark in it." Lucy said nonchalantly.

"You're just grumpy because you didn't catch one." Michael said hugging the short haired brunette.

Lucy pushed him off in annoyance, "I would have if you three hadn't been playing bear and had a stupid water fight. You scared the fish off." Michael simply laughed as Lauren and Ally began placing the fish on sticks.

"Alright so after breakfast you guys will join me to go learn gathering techniques. I'll show you what's poisonous and what's edible. So rest up because you guys are gonna have to keep up with me." Normani smiled as the newbies nodded taking a seat near the fire.

"No, literally, guys, you're gonna have to keep up with her. She was a track star." Dinah smiled.

Normani then walked over to where Ally and Lauren stood, sticking fish onto sticks to cook them over the fire.

"Hey, Lauren, can I talk to you?" Normani asked.

"I don't know, Normani, I might be too weak and frail for that. I may need Camila for this huh?" Lauren said obviously still bothered. Ally silently took the fish and walked off to begin cooking them with the others.

The Texan sighed, "Come on, Lo, that's not what I meant."

Lauren rolled her eyes and began walking off to join the others around the fire. After seeing Lauren leave Normani standing alone, Dinah walked over nervously playing with her hands.

"How'd it go?" The Polynesian asked.

"There was some progress."

"Really?"

"No, there was no progress. She's upset." Normani sighed.

"Well if she wants to be mad for no reason then so will I." Dinah said in irritation looking over at the group.

"No, we don't need to make this any worse, Dinah." Normani said to an already angered Dinah. The former track star knew Dinah was close to making up her mind. So with one hand she grabbed the Polynesians face, squishing her lips together, making their brown eyes connect. "You will not play that game with her. If she's mad then let her be mad. You don't have to do the same. Be above her and her childish tactic."

Dinah unclenched her jaw and sighed as she knew the Texan was right. She sighed and nodded her head.

*****

They're all running through the trees, jumping over logs and dodging branches. Normani led the group running at a fast pace. The others were struggling to keep up with the track star. Her brown eyes darting all over in search for a berry bush.

It was then that she came to an abrupt stop nearby a couple of bushes. A few moments later everyone finally caught up out of breath. Michael was running too fast and crashed into Calum, both falling to the floor. Janel simply stepped aside as the guys rolled by her. Ian wasted no time in sitting on the floor and laying down.

"Alright, you guys all still with me?" Normani asked breathing heavily.

"No, I dropped my lung back there." Janel said leaning over on her knees.

"Good. Get those lungs going." Normani smiled. "Wait, where's Camila?" She asked looking behind the group.

"I'm on my way!" Camila said lightly jogging towards the group. Once she arrived she was out of breath and heaving.

"Okay, well I wanted to show you guys these berries." Normani said pointing to a bush with white berries.

"Thank God, I'm starving now." Michael said walking up to the bush.

Normani was quick to smack his hand away, "No, these are poisonous. Always avoid white berries. As well as some that have milky sap leaves. Which these also have."

"Damn." Michael mumbled before walking back.

"Now if you really wanna play it safe then I suggest you stick with the common ones you know, such as: blue berries, raspberries, black berries, and strawberries. Now let's hurry up because I still wanna show you guys another few that you can't eat." Normani said.

"When can we find the ones we can eat." Michael groaned.

"After we find the one we can't eat." The Texan giggled before beginning to run off. Everyone groaned and began running as well.

Meanwhile, the other three girls were out hunting for something to eat. Lauren carried her arctic warefare rifle in front of her. Dinah carefully walked behind her as she carried her desert eagle pistol while Ally trailed behind with her machete. Their eyes darting all over in search of anything. It was then that Lauren heard a twig snap and quickly rose her fist signalling Dinah and Ally to stop. Once they did, a badger stepped into view. Lauren brought her gun up ready to shoot, but it was brought down by Dinah's hand.

"I have my silencer on, I'll get it." Dinah said stepping forward with her gun up.

She took a few careful steps forwards and aimed her gun straight ahead as she placed her finger on the trigger. Suddenly a loud bang goes off, echoing in the wind. Dinah's eyes can see the badger now dead. She knew it wasn't her who fired the shot and turned around to see Lauren removing her finger from her trigger. The tall Californian knew this was Lauren's way in saying that she didn't need Camila to get shit done. All Dinah could do was stare at the green eyed woman as she walked past her to pick up the catch.

Ally then walked up to the tall Polynesian looking up at her frustrated features, "Don't be so bothered by it. It'll pass."

"I'm just so over it. Her and her bad attitude when things don't go her way." Dinah sighed.

Dinner came soon and everyone was around the fire eating Lauren's catch. Conversation erupted with what they learned and what they knew or didn't know. Ian and Calum seemed to be the secretive ones about a conversation they were having. They kept eying each of the five girls and whispering. Lauren was itching to ask what they were talking about, but luckily Janel beat her to it.

"What the hell are you guys talking about?" The Hawaiian native asked wiping her mouth clean.

Ian looked at her then back at the group, "Nothing. What are you talking about, gorgeous?" He smirked.

Janel faked a smile, "We're just talking about how weird you guys look talking all secretive, handsome."

"In that whole sentence, handsome was the only thing I picked up."

"Why are you guys whispering like weirdos?" Lucy asked Calum who noticed that all eyes were on them. Calum hesitantly looked back at Lucy then to Ian. "Cal, just say it."

"We were just trying to figure them out is all." Calum blurted as he received a chest slap from Ian.

"Well ask us anything. We're an open book." Normani said taking Dinah's hand.

"Speak for yourself." Lauren mumbled.

"We just wanna know why. Why do you guys feel the need to go to FoL? You have met two groups who hated it so much they left. Why do you wanna go?" Ian asked.

"I'm just following them. I kinda owe them." Ally said.

"I'm doing the same." Camila spoke up.

"Well the main reason is to get the cure for the infection." Dinah said.

"But why? The cure is long gone. If anything you'll be getting only the T3, which is a temporary cure. It pushes the infection back a few weeks." Calum informed.

"Look we're not stupid. We know that if you guys carried a cure to this whole mess then there would still be more of it in hiding. We want it to save as many people as we can." Dinah replied nonchalantly.

"Some of us have endured so much pain by this infection. We have lost loved ones to this infection and I won't let anyone else suffer the same fate." Lauren said leaving everyone silent.

"We're not doing this out of some sick thrill. We're doing it because we want to help and it's obvious that FoL won't help." Dinah said.

Calum nodded as he pushed up his glasses, understanding the three women, "Once you go in, you might not come back out."

"That's a risk I'm willing to take so no one else suffers this way. This isn't living. We've been stripped of our freedom and dignity as well as our families." Normani said. "If FoL isn't doing anything to change that then I will."

"You guys have probably heard this before, but you're insane." Ian said shaking his head. "And I respect that. Give 'em hell when you get there." He smiled.

Night soon arrived and the newbies were always exhausted after Lauren's lessons. Each of them entered their tents ready to sleep. Lauren was still upset with Dinah and Normani, but took the liberty of cleaning up after the group as Ally helped. Lauren placed all the canteens into the car while the short Texan put out the fire.

"You need to cut that shit out, Lauren." The Floridian heard from behind her.

"Cut what out?" She asked obviously confused.

"You know what. Quit it with the whole childish bull crap. We're all adults and need to stick together. Make up with Dinah and Normani. I know you're hard headed as hell, but if you keep this up then we'll all be dead." Ally said before waking into her tent and zipping it. Lauren stood there for a moment with a canteen in her hands as she thought for a while.

A/N:
Hey! So yeah random update because you guys are the most patient readers ever. Either that or I really suck at this lol. Nevertheless I am blessed to have you guys come back to read this.

So what do you think will happen with our three girls? Who's side are you on? Also what will happen with Camren now that Lauren sees Camila as nothing, but a distraction? How about that Alren moment?

Don't forget to Vote/Comment/Share! Let me in on your thoughts on this chapter.

Stay beautiful.

-Steph

P.S. You guys aren't ready for the next chapter lol. It is 10k+ words and there is a reason for it being so long. So when it comes make sure to read it when you have time or are in a boring class. I don't want you guys failing an important class lol.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 7.7K 22
Camila Cabello has come to the peak of her career, along with her four band mates, Dinah Jane Hansen, Lauren Jauregui, Ally Brooke Hernandez, and Nor...
89.8K 2.5K 22
We all make stupid decision and crazy things in life. We let stupid things get the best of us. We are reckless, strong-willed, egotistical and cocky...
37K 1.9K 54
Your heart was empty, it has been for 15 years and you kept coming back to that same old place you were told to stay. You knew that nobody will come...
471K 6.8K 7
A collection of original Camren & Norminah one shots (plot-heavy STEAMY stories). **PLEASE DO NOT COPY/REPOST/REPRODUCE MY WORK. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED...