Apocalyptic Culture (Camren/N...

By IdyllicMentality

Everything seemed bleak in the world, but these girls were filled with hope. Hope to find a cure and save the... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI

XIX

6.5K 349 297
By IdyllicMentality

Listen while you read:
Majid Jordan - Something About You

_______________________________

Lauren wakes up to the sound of birds chirping. She rubs her eyes to better enhance them as she sits up. Green eyes look around her tent and she takes a deep breath as a smile crept onto her face. Something about today felt relaxing. The cool air hitting her skin giving her slight goosebumps.

She then hears a small groan followed by the shifting tent. She turns to see Camila cuddling herself attempting to continue her slumber.

"Camz, get up." Lauren says in a groggy tone.

"It's too early." The brunette groans.

Lauren patted Camila's leg in a weak attempt to get her up, "Come on we gotta get breakfast."

"Why not let the others get it?"

"Because they're still asleep and we're already awake come on." Lauren said as she stood putting on her red flannel.

With a groan Camila pushed herself up and yawned. She put on her shoes as Lauren made her way out the tent. Lauren was already walking into the woods with her arctic warfare rifle around her shoulder. Camila picked up her stick and quickly followed the fast moving Floridian.

"What's the rush?" Camila asked as she finally caught up with Lauren who was ducking behind a bush.

Lauren immediately hushed her and signaled for her to get down as well, "It's a deer." She whispered while pointing across from them.

Camila squinted her eyes as she scanned everywhere, "I don't see anything." She whispered.

Suddenly a deer emerged from behind some trees and began eating from the tall grass. Lauren turned to smile at Camila who was staring in shock at the animal. Green eyes lingered on the brunette next to her, studying her features.

"It's so beautiful." Camila exhaled in amazement looking at the animal.

"Yeah." Lauren smiled turning back to see the majestic animal.

Suddenly the deer picked it's head up and ran off. Lauren groaned as she knew she wouldn't be able to chase after it without leaving Camila behind.

"Let's catch fish by the lake." Camila suggested.

"Good idea and I can show you how to catch them with that spear." Camila smiled and the pair left to the stream nearby hand in hand.

Normani was awakened by the scent of cooking fish and put on her shoes before exiting her tent. Around the fire she seen all the girls eating their share of fish. Normani fixed her hair to the side and smiled at the group of women.

"Good morning. Did you ladies catch this with your new skills?" Normani asked taking a seat next to Lucy.

"Janel and I actually caught up with Lauren and Camila when they were by the stream catching fish." Lucy smiled.

"Where are the boys?" The Texan asked.

"Asleep. They like to sleep in now that they can." Janel answered.

Lauren furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "Hey, where's Dinah?"

Normani opened her mouth to answer, but the Polynesian exited their tent looking tired. "Right here." The Texan smiled.

As Dinah was putting on her shoes, Lauren rose an eyebrow at Normani while wearing a smirk. The track star took notice and her small smile faded.

"What?"

"You and Dinah shared a tent... alone?" Lauren smiled.

Normani could feel her cheeks begin to get hot, "Wha- Yeah, so?"

"Just asking, Mani. No need to get so defensive." Lauren winked.

Dinah took a seat next to a flustered Normani and was completely oblivious to the conversation. Dinah took a fish that was done cooking on the fire and began picking at it.

"How'd you sleep, Dinah?" Lauren asked.

Lucy and Janel were smart, so they knew very well what was going on. Both women looked up slightly from their food to see Dinah's expression, hoping that it'll be more or less like Normani's as they wore matching smirks.

Dinah looked up from her fish to look at Lauren, "I slept great, thanks. The tents keep a lot of the cold out."

"Anything eventful happen?" Lucy said adding to the light teases.

Dinah wasn't sure what was going on and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at Lucy and Camila, "No?" Dinah said slowly. Everyone exchange a smirk as they continued to eat. Dinah then leaned over to Normani, "Did I miss something?" She asked.

"Nothing to worry about." Normani smiled.

The pair just looked into each other's eyes forgetting that they weren't alone, but Dinah didn't care if they seen. She admired the Texans beauty. How adorably perfect her nose looked or how her deep brown eyes looked. The Polynesian quickly glanced at Normani's lips and back at the eyes she adored so much.

"Alright come back to planet earth you two." Lauren chuckled. Dinah smiled at her friend's remark, but kept her eyes on Normani, who looked away immediately blushing. "Damn, just kiss her already, DJ."

Suddenly the boys came out of their tent not even bothering to put on their shoes. Each man took a seat around the fire and grabbed a stick of fish.

"Good morning, ladies." Calum smiled happily putting on his glasses.

Dinah took her eyes off of the track star and now looked at her friend, "Don't hate, Lo, you know you want one." The Californian smirked.

"D-did we walk into something bad?" Ian asked looking back and fourth at Lauren and Dinah.

Lauren rose her eyebrows in shock, "You guys are a thing now?" She said surprised ignoring the guys presence.

Both women stared at one another and shrugged, "Depends on what Mani wants." Dinah said causing all eyes to go to the Texan .

"Well I do like Dinah and we did kiss so I guess yeah? We're together." She said slightly unsure looking over at Dinah, who wore a smile.

"Then we're together." She smiled causing the five women to smile and exhale in disbelief.

"Nice. That just goes to show that the end of the world doesn't stop the human nature to love." Calum smiled eating his fish.

"How about you, Lauren?" Dinah now asked causing everyone to look at the green eyed woman.

"How about me what?"

"Do you have your eye on anyone?" Dinah asked reclining on her hands. Camila turned to Lauren with a hopeful look.

The Floridian looked unimpressed and shrugged, "No, I don't really believe in relationships while living like this." Dinah then rose an eyebrow at the Lauren.

"I think we came at the wrong time." Ian whispered to the boys.

"Should we go?" Calum asked with worry.

"No, let see this out." Michael smiled.

Lauren then realized what she said and took a deep breath to apologize when suddenly a creo jumped out from the trees, startling everyone. Lauren was the first to stand taking Camila's spear and standing between the group and the creo. Ally was second to arrive standing next to the raven haired woman with her machete in hand. The creo stood straight and let out a loud high pitch howl, then stood their eyeing everyone. Not long after, there were howls being heard from all around them. Emerging from the trees were at least a dozen creos. Lauren's eyes shifted from the first creo to the group of them. The first creo went to join the rest of them causing Dinah, Normani, Ally, and Lauren to stand in a line between the newbies and creos.

"We can't take them all, Dinah." Normani whispered.

"Says who? I bet I can take half." Ally said, cautiously eyeing them all.

"I'll take on that bet." Lauren smiled glancing at the short woman to see her smiling.

"Loser owes the winner strawberries." Ally smiled.

"Deal."

"Everyone else slowly make your way to the van." Dinah ordered.

Everyone did as they were told and slowly began nearing the van. A few creos noticed and attempted to make their way towards them until Lauren whistled loudly bringing their attention back. The croes weren't doing anything except eyeing the four women before them. Some were walking back and fourth as if deciding when to attack. The group was still cautiously making their way to the van when suddenly Janel tripped and fell causing one creo to growl and quickly run towards her.

Out of impulse, Lauren ran between Janel and the creo. The beast jumped high in the air causing Lauren to move her stick horizontally to prepare herself for impact. The creo landed on top of the green eyed woman where she held it back. It's yellow teeth snapping at Lauren.

"You see, guys, this way makes it easier to gain control of your enemy." Lauren grunted looking up at the frightened group as the creo was gnawing at the stick.

"I don't think this is a good time for a lesson, Lauren." Ian said as he helped up Janel.

Lauren took advantage of her position and pushed the creo onto its back, where she then straddled it. Lifting the spear where she then brought it down onto the creos head, where it stopped struggling.

"One." Lauren said to herself. "See. Easy peasy." She huffed. Another loud growl was heard from the group of creos and suddenly they all ran towards the girls. "Get in the van now!" Lauren said standing. With one last look at Camila she ran towards the herd of creos running at them.

Lauren jumped high in the air, hitting one with the tip of her stick and knocking it to the ground. She held the beast under her boot and struck it in its head. "Two."

Normani had a tight grip on her Busse Team Gemini knife as a creo leaped on top of her. With one hand she held its neck and stuck it in the head. Its blood coating her neck and one of her cheeks. "Fucking gross." She mumbled standing up.

Dinah had a steel pipe with her that she immediately grabbed from the side of the tracks. A creo was running up to her and she drew the pipe all the way back before striking it on its head. The creo was knocked down, but still tried to stand. Dinah took her now bloody pipe and began beating the creos head in.

Ally, with her machete in hand, was striking as many creos as she could. Driving her machete into ones head and kicking it off once it was dead. Another creo was making its was towards her. She took her defensive stance, prepared for it to get closer. As it was only a few feet away from her, it was immediately knocked down by the long raven haired woman, who drove her spear into its head.

Ally sighed in annoyance, "That was mine."

Lauren stood with a smug look, "Well now it's my count. Three." She smiled before being knocked down by a creo.

Ally acted fast and struck it in its head. Lauren flinched as its blood dripped from the back of its head and onto Lauren's face. She quickly threw it off and stood up trying to wipe off the substance, but only spreading it.

"You did that on purpose!" She exclaimed.

"I saved your life."

"It was mine."

"Well now its my count. Two." The short woman teased before running of to get another.

Lauren clenched her jaw and went to look for another one.

Normani was begging to get overwhelmed by the amount of creos coming at her. She resulted to punching a few to slow them down. One, rather large, creo made its way to her, where she punched it directly in its jaw, pushing it back a bit. She then seen an opportunity to attack and took it by striking it in its head. Unfortunately her knife got stuck in its head when another creo began running towards her. She desperately tried pulling her knife out, but it was no use. As it neared her, Allyson jumped out, from what seemed like nowhere, and hopped on its back, decapitating it. Its head rolled onto the floor while it's jaw was opening and closing automatically.

"Three." The short woman huffed.

As she turned around another creo was only a few inches from her face. It was too close for her to react so she couldn't get her machete up in time. Suddenly its forehead was struck by a sharp objected almost touching Allyson. As it fell Lauren was seen on the other side with a smug look.

"Four."

Normani got her knife out once two creos were quickly making their way towards the two unsuspecting women. "Hey!" She yelled at the two bickering women.

Their attention was now on Normani who was pointing behind them where two creos were running at full speed. Both were knocked down by Dinah, who then proceeded to beat one with her steel pipe. Hit after hit, Dinah seemed exhausted. Blood spurting onto her face and neck. Soon the creo under her stopped moving and she sighed in relief. The second creo began to stand up and growled before making its way to the Polynesian.

Lauren and Ally both ran towards the creo to aid their friend. Lauren, however, tripped on a rock and fell giving Allyson the leverage she needed to run ahead and drive her machete into its mouth. With both hands she lifted her machete cutting straight out of the top of the creos head.

"Four." Allyson exhaled out of breath.

Silence washed over everyone as the last creo fell. Normani was slumped over holding her knees while Lauren was breathing heavily on the floor. Dinah had her head down on the dead creo while Ally fell on her butt to sit.

The newbies exited the van slowly to see their friends exhausted along with the corpses of the infected. "Are we good?" Ian asked.

Normani gave the group a thumbs up and the all exited now carrying canteens and water bottles, running to each girl. Camila of course ran to Lauren with a canteen and knelt at her side. Lucy and Janel ran to Allyson giving her some water while Ian and Michael went to help Dinah as Calum offered Normani some water.

After each woman was taken care of they all stood and walked towards the fire. Their faces were coated in red. It was then that the four decided to wash up at the river as well as fill up canteens before hitting the road once more.

"You owe me strawberries." Lauren said rinsing her hair.

"What? No, you owe me I got four." Ally snapped as she was washing her arms.

"Shit. So did I."

"Well looks like neither of you get strawberries." Lucy said as she was picking off flower petals from the boulder she was sitting on.

Ally and Lauren looked at one another for a second before smiling and turning to Normani and Dinah, "You guys owe us strawberries." They said simultaneously.

"We don't owe you shit." Normani said quickly as she washed off her forearms.

"What Normani meant was that we weren't in your bet." Dinah said.

"Which means we don't owe you shit." The Texan repeated.

Lauren sighed, "Well I really had my heart set out for some." She said pouting.

"We'll find some somewhere and that'll be your rewards." Dinah smiled.

"So when can we practice how to do that?" Michael asked.

"Do what?" Lauren said looking up at the newbies who sat atop the hill.

"Fight like you guys did."

"Michael, how were you a scavenger if you don't know how to fight?" Normani asked.

The green haired man looked down playing with a small twig, "I wasn't meant to be. My friend and I acted in the fighting sequence. He let me win because he knew how bad I wanted to be a scavenger. To leave that depressing camp. So after I passed I was a scavenger, but we don't even fight. We carried around guns so what was the point right?" He said now looking up at the group watching him.

"What use is a weapon if it's no longer useful? You could run out of ammunition and then what? Die? No, you fight the way you were trained." Lauren said. "Weapons don't make you indestructible. They just keep you protected for a while."

"Yeah, what if it was you alone against the creos today and you ran out of ammunition? You wouldn't run, you'd fight like these women." Ian added.

"We'll teach you soon." Dinah said getting out of the water.

The other three women followed as the stream was now carrying the blood of the infected off. Lucy tossed Allyson her hat as she passed by. As they neared the car Lauren stopped and turned to the group.

"I got it." She smiled. "Each one of you had a job at FoL right?" The newbies nodded. "So then we'll teach you to what you don't know."

"How so?" Dinah asked.

"Well Michael for instance was a scavenger that-"

"A fake one." He answered.

"But still you know how to use a gun right?" He nodded. "So we'll teach him basic defence, fighting techniques, how to hunt, and gathering skills. Calum was a reasearcher so we'll teach him-... what do you know how to do?" Lauren asked.

"I can devise a series of objects to create some kinds of weapons." He replied.

"Umm well we can teach him everything. Just like Lucy who was eits because I doubt she got out a lot." Lauren said looking over at the short haired brunette who was staring at her nails. "As for Janel and Ian, they um... what did you do?"

"Kill people. We took the misbehaved people from FoL and killed them when they didn't follow rules or anyone who was a threat to us." Ian said emotionless.

Lauren simply stared at the pair in shock and looked back at the group, "Well," she said slowly, "They're aware of how to use weapons."

"So what are you getting at?" Normani asked.

"Make it like school almost. I teach them hand to hand combat, Dinah shows them how to shoot, you show them gathering skills, and Ally shows them hunting." Lauren smiled.

Silence washed over the group who began eyeing each other shrugging. All eyes fell on Dinah who then shrugged as well.

"Sounds good to me. I'll work out the times where we can do that because we gotta work with the sun." Dinah said.

"I can show them hand to hand at night. All we need is a little light to see each other anyway." Lauren said with excitement.

"Yeah, I'm down to be a teacher." Normani said leaning against a tree.

"Yeah, it'll be fun." Ally smiled.

Dinah sighed with a smile on her face, "Then class is in session." Everyone smiled as they were now excited to learn new techniques and ready to try something new.

A/N:
So what's up! New update because you guys are the sweetest little things of life. Now, I really don't wanna update so soon because I want to get a good headstart on the sequel. Also if you wanna know what the cover for the sequel looks like, just go to my Instagram and check it out.

So how do you guys feel about the girls becoming teachers? Do you think it would be eventful? How about Camren and Norminah sharing a tent? Don't freak out, Camren did nothing like that lol

Any who! Don't forget to Vote/Comment/Share.

Stay beautiful.

-Steph

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

376K 14K 50
(Completed) Camila finds herself in a situation that she isn't sure she could get out of. Bad lifestyle choices caught up with her and now she feels...
237K 7.6K 23
Lauren's parents were murdered when she was just fifteen years old. At school she is the badass who stays by herself, till one day of her senior year...
259K 5.9K 23
The title says it all G!p you
130K 3K 26
Just a little Y/N x Lauren story. Read it to find out more