The Miracle Worker(Watty Awar...

By careforbooks

Madeline found out at the beginning of their marriage that she has PCOS. It had rockd both her and her husban... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue
Author's Note<3
Fort Releigh County -A "The Miracle Worker" Novel- (Sneak Peek)

Chapter 11

4.8K 103 15
By careforbooks

Hey yall! Here is chapter 11. I hope yall dont hate me for getting it to you late,but, jsut so you know, I will be uploading 1 chapter each day from here on out. Maybe even twice a day. I need to get it up because the Watty Awards says it has to be completed by November 30th, and I only have 15 days left! So, yeah. SOme days will be 2 uploads:) Enjoy! :)

God bless!

-Careforbooks!

“Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands give me delight.” Psalm 119:143 NIV

be sure to listen to the song. Listen to the Sound by Building 429.:)

THanks!

---------------------------------------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-------------------

Chapter 11

Ethan sat in front of his new client. It was only the boy’s first session and Ethan was overwhelmed with the emotion that a seven year old child has in them. The boy, James, hadn’t stopped crying the entire time he had been sitting there, which was probably, by now, fifteen minutes.

Ethan felt his heart ache. He didn’t know much about the boy except he was having a hard time coping with the loss of a sibling.

Ethan handed the boy another tissue.

“You okay?” Ethan asked with a small smile, as his elbows rested on both knees.

The boy sniffled a few times. “Yeah. I guess so.”

“Anytime that your ready to open up, I’m sitting right here. I’m all ears.” He leaned back in his chair, waiting for the boy to quote his problems.

Ethan was quite use to listening to children and adolescents speaking of their problems, but this boy seemed to grip his heart in some way that no other child had.

He didn’t know why though.

“Well, my M-Mom…” He sniffled. “lost my baby brother while he was still in her belly. I really wanted a baby brother, but they said Mommy had a-a- well, I cant think of the word, but it’s a really long one that I don’t know how to say.”

Ethan would have laughed at the boys misinterpretation of the word, but he couldn’t help but think of what he and Madeline had recently undergone.

He couldn’t believe it. He knew that other people went through miscarriages, but he didn’t think it would be anyone he knew or would know.

“So, you miss your sibling, is that right? I think that’s mighty dear of a young man, wouldn’t you say so James?” The little boy nodded. “Now, I want to say something, will you listen to me?” Ethan asked.

“Yessir.”

“I’m positive that your little brother is up in Heaven with Jesus, but I’m almost just as sure that he wouldn’t want you being sad about him not being here, now would he?”

James nodded once. “I know that he is having fun anyways, having lunch with Jesus and all.” James laughed.

“Now. I want you to pray about it and I want you to thank God for the time that you did have with your little brother, even though he was still in your Mommy’s tummy. Besides, I’m sure he wouldn’t want you being sad all the time. He would want you to grow up into a big, strong man,” Ethan held up both arms and flexed his muscles and James giggled. “and do what God wants you to do for Him. Am I right or am I right?”

“Yes, I guess you are. Well, Mr. Ethan?”

“Yes, James?”

“Am I still going to get to see you even though my ‘problem’,” James quotes in the air with his fingers, which caused Ethan to laugh at the boys mature nature. “is gone now? I still want to come talk to you every Monday. Do you think I still can?”

Ethan smiled and stood, holding James’ hand as they walked to door of his office to open it up. “I think you can, James. I would be delighted.” The little boy shook his hand and walked straight to his Mother when the door was opened.

As Ethan finished up his day with each client, he couldn’t turn his mind from that little boy. He just couldn’t see that it would hurt a child to lose a “sibling” who wasn’t even born yet.

His mind reflected back to what he and Madeline had been going through lately.

He longed to be a father, but he knew he needed to give Madeline time. He didn’t know if she would even want to go through all of the trouble that trying to have kids brought to them. Maybe she would go for fertility treatments this time?

Ethan didn’t know. He didn’t want to do the fertility treatments, but if God wasn’t going to answer their prayers, he would. He couldn’t stand the fact that he couldn’t have those little feet running around in his house, all because of……………………..

NO, Don’t go their Ethan!

He reminded himself. You can’t be blaming God.

As much as he wanted to, he knew the right thing to do.

And it wasn’t that.

He remembered one of his favorite chapters of Psalm in the Bible. 

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. - Psalm 23

He knew he had to keep himself going on the Word. He couldn't let the devil win by giving over to his temptations of blaming God. Ethan walked over to his desk after his day was over and saw his bible. He picked it up in his hands and gripped it firmly.

"Lord, reveal Yourself to me. Show me that their is hope. That your here and You hear me."

He opened up his bible to 1 Corinthians chapter 10. He read on and found a verse that really appauled to him.

Verse 13, he read aloud, astonished at what God had jsut reminded him of.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind" He whispered in realization to himself. "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."

Okay Lord. I believe You. Your here, You hear me, You see my pain. I'm just asking You to fix this, Father. I don't know what else to say except Your will be done in our lives. Thank You for the many blessings You have overwhelmed me with already. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen."

He shut his bible, gathered his things, lcoked his office, and went to walk out the front door of his clinic.He looked to his left and saw that the only person that was left was Rita.

He smiled at the elderly woman, close to retirement. He sure was going to miss her when she left, he thought about it.

"Hey, Rita. What are you doing here so late?"

Rita looked up at him and smiled, shining her pearly whites. "Oh, nothing, sugar. Just finishing up some paper work that needs to be filed. You skeddle on out of here and get home to that beautiful wife of yours."

Rita shook her head happily and whispered to herself, "Such a sweet girl." before pulling off her glasses.

Ethan debated whether or not he should talk to Rita in a condersation, because he knew the woman could go on hours of telling him about "how good the Lord is." And he did know that the Lord was good, but at the moment, he just needed some advice.

He sat his briefcase on the floor and unbuttoned his suitcoat. "Hey, Rita? Can I ask you something?"

He sat down in a computer chiar right beside her. "Anything, sugar." She said sweetly and gave him her undivided attention.

"What is the worst thing that God has put you through?" Ethan asked, regretting his choice of words, knowing he was fixing to get a biblical lesson, and not adivce.

"Darlin', God doesn't put us through bad times. We do. God does not tempt us, as it says in James chapter 1 verse 13. 'Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:'." Rita leaned forward and placed her left elbow on the armrest.

"Ethan, God knows what your going through. God knows your pain. Just give Him time, and He will-"

"That's the thing, Rita." Ethan interuppted. "His timing is not like ours. It doesn't seem right. This isn't fair, Rita." Ethan said and ran his hand through his hair.

"As Robert Schuller puts it, 'Anyone can count the seeds in an apple. But only God can count all of the apples in one seed'." Rita sniffed and looked off into mid-air, in such a daze that Ethan thought that she was a saint, and oh, she was! She looked so peaceful.

"You know, my late Husband wasn't saved until he was fifty four years old. He died three years later. Even though he only gave his good service to God for three short years out of his fifty seven, God still blessed it. And I know, one day, when I get up there, I will see him sitting with Jesus, waiting for me." Rita closed her eyes and smiled, which caused Ethan to spread a smile on.

"Honey, you need to learn to fully trust God. Right now, your still sifting."

Ethan scrunched his nose and narrowed his brows. "Sifting? What is sifting?"

Rita laughed charmingly. "Two of it's many definitions is, to make a careful examination; to exam and sort carefully. Do you understand what I'm saying Ethan?"

Ethan was confused and contemplated whether he should jsut nod his head, get up and leave. But, he wanted to really understand where she was coming from.

"No, no I don't."

"Sugar, I'm saying you are sorting your relationship with Christ too carefully. You only give Him the problems You are wanting Him to fix. And, no, it's not jsut you. I believe that everyone does it at some point or another. Shoot, I sifted for years! I got angry with God, and, you know, when you get saved, they say that Christ is now your personal Savior. But, I wasn't giving Him my whole person. I wasn't talking to Him personally. Giving Him every nook and cranny," Rita pointed to the corners of the room, "of my life and problems."

"What I'm trying to say, is God doesn't just want us to talk to Him. He wants us to get to know Him. Now, don't get me wrong, He does want to be our friend. But, He also wants a personal relationship with Him. An intimate relationship where we can talk about ANYTHING! His love can go far, above, and beyond what we thing He is capable of. Ethan, what I'm saying here is, trust God. It takes more than You jsut sitting around ,wating. It takes full surrender and for you to be still and know that He is God. Listen for Him. Don't just talk to Him and expect Him to just finish your "Honey do list" Listen for His voice. Listen to what He is trying to tell you." Rita tapped Ethan's knee.

Ethan smiled at what he had just heard. He couldn't believe how right she was.

"Thanks Rita. You have just opened my eyes to something new and exciting. I know Jesus has a special place for you at the feet of Jesus." Ethan stood.

Rita smiled and turned back to her desk and slipped her galsses on, once again.

"Oh, sugar. Your too sweet. Now, get on home before Madeline starts worrying too much."

Ethan smiled. "Thanks again Rita. That meant alot."

"Anytime, sweetie."

He walked outside, put his things in the backseat of the suburban, and slipped his keys in the ignition. He listened to the beep that went off because his keys was jsut sitting in the ignition, not twisted.

He remembered what Rita had said about listening for God's voice.

"I'm listening, Father. I'm listening...."

--------------------------------------------

Thank you all for reading!

I hope you liked it:) Vote/COmmnet and fan if you wanna:) I Hope this opened your eyes:)

I owe thanks to a special friend who gave ME a lesson on sifting earlier this week! Thank you so much to FaithandModesty07!

I appreciated it...A LOT!

And guys! please go fan her and comment/vote for her story The Rebel. It is in Watty Awards and we REALLY want her to win:) THanks for all of my and her supporters, we really appreciate it!

-God bless!

-Careforbooks!

Remember to listen to the song, Listen to the Sound by Building 429:)

Thanks!

Careforbooks!

----------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

319K 6.8K 18
Josh Mitchell was a Preacher's Son. He tried to live his life as a morally upstanding young boy. He liked being a positive influence to all his fri...
13.9K 347 18
Dustin looked up at you, his dark eyes glistened at you, he saw something in you that nobody else saw. His smile lit up the room as it widened, you s...
90.2K 9K 46
Laura Laurier was spontaneous. She was a passenger on the ride of life, uncaring or unaware of the turns she took. She just followed wherever the roa...
8.4K 312 22
Happily married. On good terms with all. Expecting a baby boy. Everything seems to be working out for good. But remember, things aren't always what t...