Howls of the Lost | Now Publi...

By ErinxJacobs

|BOOK 1 of 2| Torian is the only female Alpha she knows of. And as the Alpha, she takes pride in her small pa... More

Please Read: Updated 12/22/2023
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 25

4.9K 75 8
By ErinxJacobs

Chapter 25

Crying out, I batted Logan's hand away when he reached for me. Tears welled in my eyes as I realized it was Xander's mark. It was burning as if someone was holding a red-hot iron against my skin. Before long, the heat building beneath the mark began to move and radiate throughout my entire body. My veins were on fire. The tears spilled over as I crumpled in on myself, sinking to the floor.

Logan's arms were around me in an instant. His tone was soothing, but I couldn't make out a word he was saying. Jacob and David were surrounding me as well, but nothing they said was getting through to me. It was as if my senses had completely shut out everything but the inferno roaring in my blood.

A restlessness started inside me. At that moment even through the pain, something was pulling me towards the front door. Confusion settled in as I forced myself to my feet and my body began moving without my consent. I was following the instinct and headed towards the door. Apparently, I was moving faster than I knew because I was outside and halfway to the woods before any of the others even knew what was happening.

Over and over again I tried to stop the advance of my legs, but I failed at every attempt. The mark continued to pulse, sending heat waves through my body. Racking my brain, I tried to think of a reason as to why this was happening, but I was coming up empty. Nothing that I knew of could cause Xander's mark to do this . . .

Xander.

In a flash of insight, I remembered Logan saying he didn't know what all bearing Xander's mark entailed. I was willing to lay money that this was a result of the vampire. Cursing him to the deepest pits of Hell, I fought even harder against my uncooperative body. Tears spilled down my cheeks as I entered the confines of the forest. By then I was full out sprinting and I knew fighting the pull was useless, so I gave in.

❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃

It took Logan a while to realize she wasn't in the room. She had moved so fast. Once he had, he was on his feet and running towards the door. But when he got there and wrenched it open, Torian was nowhere in sight.

Logan slammed the door shut and rested his forehead against it. What had happened? Where could she have gone? He didn't have a clue. There was no way he could even go after her. It killed him inside to know that he was failing her again. He couldn't even smell her. Whatever had happened, it had burned her scent away with it, so he couldn't track her.

"It had to be Xander," David said, right behind him.

Logan turned to face the other boy. "That's the only thing I can think of," he replied.

"We have to go after her," David stated.

"How, Dave?" Ashlyn asked, coming up beside them with a grim expression on her face. "We have no idea where she went. How are we supposed to find her?" she sounded close to tears, and Logan completely understood.

"I don't care, Ash!" he snapped at her. "He's nearly killed her once, what's to stop him from doing it again?" David was livid. He would give anything to tear the vampire's heart from his chest, but first he had to find him.

"He cares too much about her," Logan muttered, disgusted with the fact that his words were true. As evil and corrupt as Xander was, Logan knew he genuinely cared about Torian in his own twisted way. He would never be able to go through with killing her.

But then again, he had thought that before . . .

"Let's go," Michael said, speaking up from his place by the kitchen archway. It took Logan a minute to realize that Ashlyn's mate had spoken. Michael was quiet by nature and hearing his voice placed a hush over the room that seemed impenetrable. "We have to find her. I'm not going to risk losing our Alpha again," he growled, speaking directly to the remaining two of Torian's pack.

The dark tinge to his tone made Logan internally cringe. Had Torian really been that reckless before he had known her? Her pack seemed confident in her ability to take care of herself, yet in times like these their fear of losing her began to peek through the cracks. Shaking his head, he tried to rid himself of those thoughts. She would be fine.

"Ashlyn has a point," Brooke said, easing her way into the room as well with Troy in tow. "How are we ever going to find her? She hasn't accepted the mate claim, so Logan's connection with her is weak. He won't be able to use it to track her."

The truth in her words only further fueled Logan's growing anxiety. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by the slamming of the sliding glass door in the kitchen. Exchanging curious glances, the combined packs moved to the large bay window in the living room. It didn't take long before they saw the culprit. David was rounding the house, headed straight for the woods.

That was all the incentive Logan needed. Without another word he made a break for the front door and threw it open. Ignoring the calls of the others, he broke into a sprint after David. Ashlyn and Brooke both had valid points, both the voices of reason in their packs, but Logan couldn't just stand by and do nothing. Connection or no connection, he was going to find Torian.

❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃

The sun beat down on me through the gaps in the trees above as I stumbled drunkenly through the woods. Tears flowed without abandon down my cheeks as the fire intensified with every step I took. Praying that once I reached Xander the pain would stop, I wiped furiously at the trails of water running down my face. Finally, just when I thought I was going to burn alive, the pain stopped altogether. I tumbled to my knees. As I sat there trying to calm my labored breathing, two black combat boots entered my vision, and I clenched my eyes shut. He was the last person I wanted to see at that point. I just wanted to be back at the pack house, curled up in Logan's warm embrace.

"Tori?" his voice came, as silky and seductive as ever. In response I shook my head, choosing to reject my current reality. "Tori, please," he murmured, and I heard the rustling of fabric. When his breath fanned across my face, I assumed he had knelt down in front of me. "Please look at me," he pleaded, his voice barely above the quietest whisper. My mind reverted back to that of a child as I shook my head again, trying to convince myself that if I couldn't see him, he couldn't see me. His heavy sigh reached my ears just as he gripped my chin and tilted my face upward.

"Look at me, Torian," he ordered. Holding back a whimper, I eased my eyes open to meet his liquid silver ones. "Was that so hard?" he asked, a small smile slipping onto his face.

"Extremely," I said, acid dripping off my tone as I glared at him.

"I'm sorry," he told me, his voice soft as he moved his hands to cup my face. The icy chill from his touch seeped into my skin, helping to calm my racing heart. Which made no sense, but I was going to choose to ignore that fact. He swiped his thumbs underneath my eyes to wipe away the subsiding tears. "I'm so sorry."

"For what, Xander?" I asked with a humorless laugh. Despite my irritation, I didn't push him away. The chill emanating from his body was soothing the aftermath of the burning.

"Everything," he stated, his eyes snapping to mine and transfixing me with an intense stare.

"Be a little bit more specific. There's a lot of shit you have to apologize for," I said, finally trying to pull away from him, but he just held tighter.

"What part of everything do you not understand?" he asked.

"Do you have any idea what you just did to me?" I questioned; my eyes searched his. I could still feel the warmth beneath his mark on my neck.

"I called you to me," he said, his voice turning unsure.

"I just felt like I was being burned alive."

His eyes widened and unmistakable worry flashed through them so fast I wasn't even sure I had seen it. "Are you alright?" he asked, moving even closer. Something in me wouldn't be moved away from him. There was no fear, just a relief that the pain had stopped.

"No," I said, finally shaking my head. "Let me go, Xander. I don't want to be here."

"That's right, you want to be back with your dog," he sneered.

"Don't talk about him like that!" I growled, my eyes widening as I heard the Alpha tone infecting my voice. I hadn't known I felt that strongly about Logan. "He's twice the man you'll ever be," I muttered, glaring at the vampire in front of me. A tree shuddered and groaned behind me as his fist connected with the trunk. My senses were dull. I hadn't even realized he had me backed into a corner once again.

"Darling, you'd do well not to test my patience."

"Then stop talking about Logan like he's so beneath you, Xander." My eyes met his, and I could practically feel the charged air between us. I didn't know if I wanted to rend his head from his shoulders or shake some sense into him. The moron. He still needed to pay for what he had done to Logan's pack, and I knew that. But still . . .

"Why can't you see that I'm the better option?"

"Maybe because Logan has never laid a hand on me?" I stated, forcing myself to keep my voice level. My fists balled in my lap. "He's never hurt me, and he never will." The sureness in my voice startled me, because deep down I knew with every fiber of my being that I was safe with Logan.

"Tori, I've never meant for any harm to come to you. At first, yes, I only wanted to get under Logan's skin. You were a means to an end. But that's changed now. What can I do to make you see that?" he questioned, his entire form shaking.

"Just stop, Xander," I said, shaking just as badly as he was as I struggled to keep my voice calm. "You don't have to do any of this. Let this stupid feud with him go."

"I can't," he said, his voice firm. He dropped his arms from around me and walked a few paces away from me, giving me his back.

"Of course, you can." I took an involuntary step toward him.

"Not when you're involved!" he roared, rounding on me as his eyes blazed. My eyes as well as his widened as we realized what he had said. But I still needed to be sure.

"W-what did you just say?" I stuttered out.

"Not when you're involved," he whispered, so low I almost didn't hear him as he set his eyes downcast.

"Xander," I started, crossing the space between us before I even had the chance to think about my actions. "What do you mean by that?"

He glanced down at me, his emotions dancing openly across his face for me to see. Hurt, anger, confusion, jealousy, love . . .

Love?

Shaking my head, I convinced myself I must be imagining things.

"Tori, I . . ." he trailed off, bringing my attention back to him. "When it comes to you, I'm at a loss," he admitted, his eyes wandering to my hair where I was sure twigs and God knows what else was stuck. Gingerly, he raised his hand and brushed his fingertips across the still enflamed skin surrounding his mark. I didn't know if the instant relief came from the chill of his touch, or if it was somehow tied to being marked as his, but I had to restrain the urge to sigh. "I'm sorry for this," he whispered, cupping my face in his icy palm. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I've never tested that power before. I didn't know that this would be the consequence of the call." His hand fell limply back to his side as I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I don't understand you. How can you claim to care about someone, but then risk killing them?"

He winced at my words and returned his gaze to the ground. "I'm not used to feeling this way, Tori," he said.

"Like a monster?" I scoffed.

"Please don't push me right now," he ground out, not raising his head as a growl rumbled in his chest.

I rolled my eyes and let my back fall against one of the trees. My energy was zapped. "Can I go back now?" I asked, trying to keep my tone civil.

"No."

"Xander," I whined, not being able to help myself. Now that he wasn't looking at me, I felt my confidence creeping back in. I knew I could turn and try to run away, but it wouldn't do me any good. He would just call me right back to him and I'd have to endure the pain all over again.

"Just stay with me, Torian," he said, once again piercing me with his liquid silver gaze.

"Why?" I whispered.

As Xander moved toward me a crashing could be heard throughout the forest, interrupting the eerie quiet I was just beginning to take notice of.

"Tor!" I heard David calling, his voice still distant.

"David!" I hollered, relief flooding through me at the sound of his voice. As I went to call out to him again, the chill of Xander's body appeared directly behind me and he placed his hand over my mouth. He pulled me into him, pressing my back flush against his chest.

"I'll kill him, Tori," he threatened, his voice deadly low. "He's interrupted my time with you one too many times. If I see his face, I'm not going to be able to stop myself." Fear seized my heart as I realized how serious he was. Unfortunately, David had heard me loud and clear. The crashing of branches was getting closer. Before long, my tawny eyed best friend broke through the cover of trees to where Xander and I were.

"Tor!" he exclaimed; his voice relieved.

Wrenching my face away from Xander, I locked gazes with David. "Get out of here!" I yelled at him.

"You must have lost your mind," he told me, stepping closer. Xander's body was rigid against mine and I could feel his arms tighten around me.

"Damnit, David," I cursed, kicking my leg backwards. I was rewarded with Xander's groan of pain and his hold slackened enough for me to escape. Running towards David, I grabbed his hand and towed him with me back the way he had come. "Listen to me from now on," I snarled, reaching up and tugging on his hair. "I am still your Alpha."

"Why didn't you shift?" he asked with a roll of his eyes.

"I don't really know," I admitted. "It just happened so fast. I wasn't thinking straight."

"Logan's not far behind me," he said as we continued to run.

I opened my mouth to respond to what he had said, but something slammed into him.

"David!" I cried as I realized Xander was the reason he had been ripped away from me. Horror filled me as I watched them wrestling around on the ground, neither gaining the upper hand. David growled, his entire form quivering from the force of the urge to shift. Xander was just as vicious, matching David snarl for snarl. "Guys, stop!" I yelled, walking towards them. They needed to stop and I was hoping my frantic calls would break through their concentration.

"Xander!" I screamed, slapping his back to gain his attention.

He didn't miss a beat as he pulled himself away from David and swept me up into his arms. Before I knew it, he had carried me nearly ten yards away before returning to the fight.

Terror froze me in place as I stared at the scene in front of me. From what I could see neither was tiring, but it was Xander who was beginning to win. He was just too powerful for David. Something needed to be done before my best friend got hurt. My eyes flickered over their forms, looking for a weakness and not finding any.

"David! Xander!" I called in vain. "Stop!" My cries fell on deaf ears. There wasn't a single reaction. So, I did the only thing I could think of. I moved closer. My throat closed up as I drew nearer, and I stifled a scream as one of Xander's punches came close to David's temple. "Xander, please!" I screamed; my voice strangled as tears blurred my vision. To my disbelief, the vampire paused. His head snapped up and his bewildered gaze met mine. David ceased all movement, careful not to reinstate Xander's fury. "Please stop, Xander. Just leave him alone," I begged, falling to my knees as my strength left me. "Xander, please. For me."

I didn't like looking that broken in front of him, but I couldn't help it. David was family, I couldn't handle losing him anymore than I could cope with losing Logan. As he continued to watch me, a small form of sanity made its way back into Xander's crazed eyes.

"Tori . . ." he started, making his way towards me. My breathing became easier with every step he took away from David.

But my relief was short lived.

I saw it in his eyes before he even moved. In a moment of stupid, ignorant fury, David made a mistake. I couldn't even open my mouth to tell him no. I couldn't stop him, not even with an Alpha command. I was too late.

He lunged for Xander, shifting in midair. His tawny colored wolf crushed the vampire into the ground and the fight resumed. "No!" I screamed, running towards them, determined to stop it before David got hurt.

I had just started to shift when something hard and solid crashed into my side, sending me careening to the right and keeping me far away from the fighting males. The collision jostled my focus, stopping my change in its tracks. Glancing up, I met a set of emerald eyes. I struggled with everything I had. I was trying in vain to release myself from Logan's grasp.

"Torian, stop!" he ordered.

"No! No, no, no!" I yelled repeatedly. "Logan let me go! I have to stop this."

"He'll be fine!" he tried to reassure me.

"No! Xander's too powerful. Let me help him," I pleaded, still trying to free myself from the manacles Logan called hands as he pinned me beneath his weight. "Logan if you don't let me go I'm going to shift and tear you to shreds –"

Then I heard it. That sickening snap. My entire body froze, and I slowly turned to look where Xander and David had been fighting. Xander was standing over David.

My Beta, my best friend, was lying motionless on the ground.

Distantly I heard an earth-shattering scream. Then, in an almost out of body experience, I realized it was coming from me.

_______________________________________-

Not exactly happy with this... at all... but it's what I've got and I've gotta get typin quick because the deadline is coming up fast!!

So, a little feedback with anything you guys have to say is always wonderful(:

Comment!!

Vote!!

Possibly Become A Fan??

Thanks for reading, hope you liked it!!

<3Always

-KC

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 67.5K 37
Boy x Boy This book is complete and I am working to edit right now!! Quinn is an abused sixteen year old boy. His attacker is right in his home and h...
944 43 23
"I fucking want you, Thea." I've waited so long to hear those words come from his mouth. A sound leaves in return from the wolf, and no words need to...
1.5K 235 21
"You over estimate your importance in my life, Logan. Just because we share, shared a stupid bond does not make me hooked to you." _____ Summer Bella...
133K 7.5K 83
He was like an anchor; my anchor. He pulled me back to reality whenever I was straying up into the clouds. ••• Alison Grey is trekking across terri...