That's Another Story For Later

By arilioness

*This is a Hobbit fanfiction* Iridian is a girl who was orphaned, living with a dwarf. One day, Thorin comes... More

An Adventure?
Twinkle
Moon
Brilliant
Misty Mountains
Wagers
Duel
Reflections
Little Sparrow
Imagination? Or Memory?
An Accident?
Always
Once Like a Brown Owl
Parasites
Not Again
Intoxicating
Imraldis
Diplomat
One of Your Kind
I'm Sorry
Hurt
Revelation
Seeing Double
Naithith
Arrow
Coward?
Come Back To Me
Face to Face
Paralysis
Safe?
Vision or Nightmare
Down Down Down in Goblin Town
The Great Goblin Chase
Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
Running; It Wasn't in the Contract
Spoons
Negotiations
Stay Behind
Lost... Or Am I?
Why Is It Always Spiders?
The Truth Comes Out
Echiuo
Broken
Promise? Promise.
Stars
Reckless
Lippy Lakeman
Lucky Dwarves... As If
Stuck
The Master and the Weasel
Cornered
Erebor Look At Me Now
Man in the Moon
Choices
Hope
That, My Boy, Is a Dragon
Firestorm
Infinity
The Lonely Mountain
Madness
Searching For the Found
Recurring
Forges
To Arms
To The End
Confrontation
Where Are You Now?
Cheapest Life
One Last Time
This is War
To Save the Durin's
Casualties
Reminiscing
Victory?
Dain Ironfoot
Diplomat
Tomorrow
PTSD
Iron Will
Too Close
Goodbye
Threshold
Return
Training and the In-Laws
Coronation
I Do
Dance of the Soul
Epilogue

Lost and Found

1.1K 31 5
By arilioness

*Hey guys. Sorry this is such a long chapter. I apologize. It is kind of a filler and kind of boring. Again I am sorry. Please bear with me. But again, please vote, comment, read, and share. I'm thinking about doing a once a week uploading schedule for the summer. Is that alright? Let me know what you guys think. Ciao!*

I looked down to see the girls sleeping. I sighed, and rubbed Tilda's back. Another hand grabbed mine gently. It stung mildly. "They just fell asleep." I whispered.

"I know. Are you alright? How are your burns?" I had forgotten about those in the heat of the moment. No pun intended.

"A lot worse considering burns are the least of my worries." I answered. I looked down, seeing my clothes ruined. It went just above my stomach now. I was glad my cloak was with Dwalin or else it'd be ruined. Charred remains of my bandages were around my sides. I peeled them off slowly. My skin was red, blistered, and I'd imagine I had a second degree burn. I've had plenty of first degree ones from steam in the kitchen, and this was worse. But I wasn't charred.

"What do you mean? You're burned from a beam that was on fire. What could be worse?" The others had joined us at the edge of the bank, looking curiously. Everyone else looked around nervously. It was almost like they expected Smaug to rise up again.

"Burns... over wounds from glass..." I said slowly, flinching at the jolts of pain. "Apparently none to shallow." I added. His eyes widened, before finally looking down where my shirt was singed away. It was red, blistered, and my wounds felt like fire at this point. He took my hands gently, and turned them over. They looked like the rest of my body. Fili came behind me, gently touching my back. I cried out.

"Tauriel! Have you any Kingsfoil?" Fili said. Tauriel came over, and even she couldn't hide the gasp, covering her mouth for a moment. "Tauriel." Fili said again. She came over, kneeling down as well.

"Take off your weapons. Lie back." She instructed gently. I looked down at the girls.

"But the girls..." I argued softly. Gently, they were moved from my side by Fili and Kili, and they laid them a few feet away. The adapted quickly, curling into themselves, bundling together.

"Now you have no excuse. Lie back." Tauriel said smugly. I knew she was trying to relieve the tension. I sighed, and leaned back onto my elbows, and the cold grass touched my back. I yelped. The cool sensation felt good on the burns, but not the pressure or the texture. "Right... Then just stand." I reached a hand up, and Kili grabbed my wrist, hoisting me up.

I stood shakily. Tauriel walked around my figure, checking the burns. I couldn't deny that the inside of the glass wounds were a little blackened, and white. She finally stopped scrutinizing me, and stood to full height. I forgot how tall she was. I felt so small. "I'm afraid that athelas wouldn't do anything anyway. It's for a poison, and heals more magical injuries, or from near death. This is a physical wound, and therefore there is nothing that can be done." She said sadly.

"Oin, do you have anything?" Kili said. The dwarf's head shook sadly. "Damn it!" He shouted. I knew he was frustrated that he couldn't do anything. I knew he was frustrated I let myself get this hurt while he was injured. I sighed, and sat back down, putting my weapons back on.

"As I said. We'll just look at it when we get to Erebor. There will be supplies there. I'm sure of it. Besides... it doesn't hurt that bad." I winced even as I said that. I was lying through my teeth, but I had to help the others deal with it somehow.

"Lass, you do realize that you were trapped under a burning beam, got burned on your hands and such, as well as have that over previous wounds?" Bofur stated the obvious.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious of the week. But we don't have time to focus on that. We need to get to Erebor. Then we can worry about this. We also need to find Bard and Bain for the girls. My wounds are the least of our worries."

"They could get infected." Oin added. I shook my head. "You're also the most wounded person here. So you are a worry for us."

"Let's not worry about that right now. Let's worry about that when we get to Erebor. Please." I said. They all nodded in response, not willing to test my stubbornness. "Now, let's get some rest as Tauriel suggested. I'll take watch." I continued.

Everyone else looked like they wanted to argue, and then stopped, finding a place to lie down. "I shall watch with you." Tauriel said, sitting next to me. I nodded my thanks, turning back to the bonfire once known as Laketown. Kili sat on my other side, and then laid down. After a few minutes of silence, the sound of steady breathing reached my ears, and I took the chance to speak to Tauriel. My hand absently ran through his hair, down his shoulders and back, and back up.

"Thank you. For saving Kili. I know that you had things to do, and I know that Legolas needed you. So I want to thank you. I'm not quite sure what I'd do if I had known he'd died."

"You do realize that I saved him not just for your or his brother's sake?" She said with a small snap to her voice.

"I am well aware. But you could have just easily left, leaving him to die out of spite. And you did not. For that I am thankful. You are very kind."

"You are very pure of heart to admit that." Tauriel responded.

"Why do you say that?" I turned to her, tilting my head in confusion. She laughed softly, and smiled. She was beautiful, it didn't surprise me how Legolas looked at her.

"Because any other person would have brushed off the fact, and gotten defensive. And while you did at the beginning, you quickly pushed that away. You have not judged me for being an elf even after all these years. You were thankful despite knowing my reasons behind saving him." She answered thoughtfully.

"Well, while I don't remember much of you and Legolas babysitting me as a young child, the one thing I do: How kind you were. You and Legolas. You were always fair. You knew your duty, and yet you let your heart decide. I can admit that very few elves would do such a thing. Most elves, such as Legolas, would have let him die. And you did not. Tell me, had you not held such feelings for Kili, would you still have saved him?" She paused for a moment, thinking about her answer.

"Yes. I would. Because I would not be able to live with myself that I had let someone die when I had the power to help him. As you know, elves believe that all life is sacred. And that is true, though they bend those rules around the dwarves given our rocky past with them. But I still would be unable to let him die, even if he is a 'sworn enemy.'" I nodded, and we continued watching the burning waters, despite knowing nothing would happen. A silence ensued for a while, maybe ten minutes. I hummed a small tune, whatever came into my head. I stopped, and asked another question.

"Does Legolas realize how you feel?" I said softly, and slowly. I did not want to anger her. She stiffened visibly. Then she turned her gaze on me again.

"I believe that Legolas has an inkling of how I feel... and he does not like that fact. Why do you ask?" She answered in a slow manner, choosing her words as she went.

"While we were in the dungeons, and we were speaking of stars, and fire moons, I saw Legolas looking down. His eyes were hardened in frustration, betrayal almost, upon seeing you speaking to us. I know that you were mostly speaking to Kili, but that matters not. He is well aware of how you feel; but are you aware of how he feels?"

"Lord Thranduil told me in a cryptic riddle. He said that Legolas was fond of me. Then, I countered saying he never saw me as anything other than a captain of the guard. Thranduil argued that he might have once, and then proceeded to say he would never let him pledge to a lowly Silvan elf as myself. So yes, I am aware." She summed. I nodded in a slow manner.

"He seems to be in a similar boat as you." I mused.

"Explain." She almost demanded. I smiled lightly.

"Well, you were, and still are, torn between duty and the heart. You were torn between helping Kili, and what Legolas wanted you to do. Now I assume he will be torn between you and Thranduil." I said. She paused, clearly musing over what I had said. In the silence, I heard screaming and crying not far from us. It shattered my heart, and I wished I could not hear it.

"It is now your turn to tell me something." I tilted my head, waiting for her question. "Why did you go and try go get Bain? Why did you allow yourself to get hurt as badly as you did? Even with those glass wounds, you still went off. Why did you stand up for a human? Just one?"

"I wasn't anticipating getting burned. One human does not matter. Bain has a family, and I couldn't see their family torn apart by that awful dragon. Besides, those children only have their father, who had run off to confront Smaug. There was a chance he could have died."

"How do you know he is not dead?"

"Because I can just feel it. Plus, I know that whoever controls us would never let Bard die when he has so much potential. Anyway. The reason I went to get Bain was for Tilda's sake. She had already lost her mother, and she could have lost her father. To lose her brother would be to much, and so I wanted to bring her back. There is something in me that cannot let anyone suffer after dealing with such loss."

"Like I said, you are pure. You are innocent, and your intentions are more true than I have ever known. You do not ask for anything, and yet you allow yourself to get as injured as you have. You have suffered loss and discovered that which no one should have to deal with, and yet you continue to give." I smiled, and blushed a little.

"While I admit that I am a little cynical, and believe that people will do nothing except hurt me, I have a sense that allows me to trust somewhat. Tilda was just one of those people that I just had to protect. I cannot let anyone suffer as much as I might have." I answered again. I quite liked this elf. She was the best elf we had come across on this arduous trek.

"Why didn't you decide to come back? You seem to have belonged more in Mirkwood than with the dwarves. Besides Kili. Would you still have gone back?" She said again.

"No. As I said, I would not be happy. I would constantly have to live up to my parents for one. And I know that no elf would ever be friends with me. Except you and maybe Legolas. Thranduil would keep me on a pedestal to some extent. Nobody would accept me because of my height and mixed lineage. I would be more miserable. And you'd be asking me to leave a family I have grown close to. You'd be asking me to leave a father that I never had. You'd be asking me to leave everything for the sake of my past.

"And that's all it is. It's a past, and while it has good memories associated with it, it is simply meant to stay in the past. I was meant to stay with the dwarves, for they are my present and future." I rambled. "Sorry about that." I mumbled.

"I understand. I would not have gone back either. I saw how deeply rooted you were in those dwarves, and I knew it was unfair to take you from them. I am glad you did not. I am also sorry for almost slapping you." She mumbled sheepishly.

"It was forgotten long ago." I answered. For the remainder of the time, we simply shared stories of our past, reminiscing together. Finally, the sun started to show signs of color other than the black of night.

"You should wake them." She said. I nodded in response. I shook Kili's shoulder first, before knocking Fili on the shoulder. I stood shakily, pain as I stood. I went to Tilda and Sigrid. Tilda had curled into her sister's side, and Sigrid had wrapped her arms around her little sister, as though she could protect her from the world. I shook them gently, and they stirred.

"It's time to wake up. I promise I'll help you find Bard today." I said in a soft tone. Their eyes blinked open, and they looked much better having been well rested. I then moved to the other two dwarves, nudging them with my boots. "Get up." I demanded. They sat up, blinking just as lazily as the girls.

I turned back to see everyone standing. "Lead the way, Tauriel." I answered, falling in step with the girls. Tiredness pulled at my eyes, and I don't doubt how awful I looked. Tilda grabbed my hand. "We'll find Bard." I said, looking down sadly. Sigrid nodded, hope in her eyes. We followed the sound of the shouts and screams. We arrived to a horrible sight.

Refugees lined the bank, along with a lot of wreckage. People were crying and screaming in sadness. A few things were on fire, still smoldering. Bodies were faced down, dead on the shore. Suddenly I hear a voice, and my lip curled in disgust. "Will somebody help me? HELP!" Cried the voice. I turned to watch Alfrid clamber over a dead body, only to realize that it's alive and moaning.

Alfrid rolled over the body, screaming. I rolled my eyes and resisted the urge to slit his throat. "HELP!" He wailed again. His eyes spotted me, and he crawled over me. He clutched my boot, pleading with his eyes. "Well dearie, would you help me?" He asked in a bittersweet voice. The girl's eyes were wide in fear at the greasy weasel.

"I would not like to help you. You dirty bastard." I spat on his face, and he howled.

"You were on your way to helping me the other night..." Alfrid trailed off. The same tendrils of fear rose from the beaten grass, wrapping around my feet. His hands did as well. "Won't you help me again?" He whispered. I gasped, my breath caught in my throat. I then kicked him in the face, and put my hand on Sigrid and Tilda's back.

"I wouldn't help a bastard like you if you were the last mortal on earth." I spat again. He sat there, clutching his face, looking utterly enraged. The others went off in a different direction, and Tauriel followed me. The girls walked around, skirting around those who were salvaging supplies.

"DA!" They took turns shouting.

"Bain! Bard!" I shouted, my voice carrying a little farther. "Bain!" It hurt to shout, given my lungs expanding against my stomach.

"Why me?!" Alfrid's wail shattered the sadness in the girls' voice. "Come back!" He shouted. I continued to walk. I looked around that the devastation, and sadness settled into my heart. People were pulling out loved ones from the lake. I didn't want to think about what it felt like, and I prayed I'd never have to. I looked around to find the dwarves pushing a boat into the water.

"We need to find Bard." I said, scanning the crowd. I was to short, and could not see anything. "Damn it. Tauriel, can you see anything?" I asked. Her head shook sadly. The girls continue to cry for their father. We wandered farther into the crowd, and the parted slightly as they continued what they were doing.

"Iridian!" Kili shouted. I turned to see him making his way toward me. "We need to leave." He said in urgency. His eyes were worried. "Please."

"But I can't leave them!" I said. Tauriel touched my shoulder.

"I shall help them, do not worry. You need to get yourself taken care of. You look pretty bad." She remarked. I glanced down, to see my burned skin. I finally took in the stares of some Lakemen. Tilda and Sigrid came up and hugged me tight.

"Ouch girls." I said with a laugh. "Take care. I'm sure he is here. I wish I could help you more." I answered sadly.

"You have helped more than enough." Sigrid said softly. I looked down at Tilda.

"Thank you. I hope I see you soon." She said softly. I ruffled her hair, and smiled.

"You will. Sigrid, take care of your sister until you find Bard." She nodded, and I saw her eyes were glistening. I turned to face Tauriel. "Thank you very much. You have been of great help. I hope to see you soon, elendil." I said. She smiled softly.

"Thank you. I hope we meet in better circumstances." She answered. She then stiffened at the presence behind her. My own eyes hardened, narrowing into slits. "Hir nin, Legolas." Legolas looked at Kili with hostility, and then turned a softened gaze onto me.

"Maewado i Nuag. Boe i nadh egeno. Iridian, come with us." He spoke in Elvish. I felt Kili tense next to me. "Please. Thranduil wants you to come back. I want you to come back. I'm sorry for what I said. I cannot deny that after realizing how brave you are, that I want you as a wife. I would be honored to marry the daughter of my father's greatest warriors." My muscles tensed next.

"I have said no, and I shall say it again. I cannot Legolas. I cannot go back to a place where my heart does not belong, nor can I pledge my love to someone whom I do not feel it for." I said, grabbing Kili's hand to make a point. Tauriel started to walk away, and Legolas looked quite resigned, before looking at Tauriel. The way he looked at her was the way one should. "Besides... I can tell you heart would not be in it either. Go after her."

"We need to go." Kili said. We started running toward the boat, and I heard the girls saying goodbye. I waved over my shoulder. Tauriel looked at us once again, and I saw her eyes were wet. I smiled, and waved once again. We started to row, and I stood at the rear, watching events unfold. I held onto a part that stuck up, allowing me to keep balance.

Alfrid pushed toward a woman, talking about needing a blanket. He truly was an awful man. He grabbed it, and the woman tugged on it, and they started to shout. She went to turn around, and Alfrid grabbed her, raising a hand. Then it was stopped. I followed the hand to see Bard. I sighed in relief. I was right. "DA!" Was the only thing I heard in clarity. I saw the girls run to their father, hugging him. I smiled, and then sat down, groaning slightly.

"Did they find Bard?" Kili asked, and I nodded. I set my head on his shoulder, shutting my eyes. The sunlight upon my burns made them hurt. Oin approached me, and sat across from me. I looked at him through slit eyes.

"Let me see those now that it's lighter, lass." I nodded, sitting up straighter, and Oin leaned over to examine the wounds. He muttered under his breath, making small remarks. "Turn around, lass." I did as told, almost losing my balance. He did the same, but the one thing he did was not touch them. "Now your hands." I spun around again, and he took the backs of them in his hands gently.

"Thought as much. Second degree burns, but we need to get them looked at immediately. The ones over your glass wounds, are worse. Let's hope that nothing gets to infected." He said sadly. I nodded. "Don't worry. You'll be alright." I smiled, before resting against Kili again.

The steady rocking of the boat lulled me into a daze. I hadn't slept the night before, and it's been going on close to an entire day, no more, without sleep. No one made a exclamation. "I almost feel bad for her." Bofur said when he thought I was asleep.

"Am I the only noticing she's been a little more reckless upon her piecing together her parents death?" Oin said next.

"She has. She's still grieving a little. Don't worry. But she also had good intentions. She just wanted to try and help the girls." Kili answered in a half truth.

"Aye. But she shouldn't be hurting herself so much. Who knows what else we still have to deal with? Azog is still out there." Fili responded.

"She heals quickly. I'm sure she can handle it. Don't worry, brother. We'll watch over her, won't we?" I felt his eyes on mine, and I finally finished drifting off as I heard Fili answer an agreement.

Quick glossary that is all elvish....

Hir nin: My Lord

 Maewado i Nuag. Boe i nadh egeno:  Take your leave of this dwarf. You are needed elsewhere

Elendil: Friend

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 747 25
This story takes place during The Hobbit, and is about an elf that lives in Mirkwood. Her name is Ithildae. When she was very young, her parents pass...
178K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
22.9K 644 52
"Someday you will return home too." Reluctantly, she opened one of the heavy wooden chests. The lid creaked loudly as it flipped back. A dusty cloak...
125K 4.1K 42
The time has come. Erebor still lies within the Lonely Mountain, and Smaug has not been sighted for years. The regal line of Durin must reclaim their...