Restless Hope

SarahBensonBooks által

Startled eyes turn to face me, and my mind confirms what my heart already knows. I would recognize those gent... Több

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 - Part 1
Chapter 3 - Part 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - Part 1
Chapter 11 - Part 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26 - Part 1
Chapter 27 - Part 1
Chapter 27 - Part 2
Chapter 28 - Part 1
Chapter 28 - Part 2
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 - Part 1
Chapter 35 - Part 2
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
AN - Boston Pics
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue

Chapter 26 - Part 2

7.2K 540 73
SarahBensonBooks által

Isaac's reveals his thoughts in a burst.

"You'd think at least one person would remember. Is that asking too much? I don't need a cake or balloons or flowers. Just a simple 'Happy Birthday' would be nice."

Ah. So that's what this is about.

"Even Gran didn't remember," Isaac says.

"Well, maybe her memory is starting to fade. She forgot my last birthday," I lie. Violetta actually made me an epic red velvet cake, but I know that won't be helpful to bring up right now.

"Sophie didn't remember either. We talked about it two days ago and she seemed excited about it. Then today, nada. She hasn't mentioned it all day. Good luck blaming that on old age."

"Maybe she forgot because of her sickness," I say.

"Sophie felt fine most of the morning. She didn't say a word. No one remembered. Not even...not even you. I thought maybe we were going to the store to ... never mind. It's just that you and Gran used to be the only ones to remember my birthday. Polly was usually too drunk to celebrate."

Isaac sounds so hurt. I'm realizing just how foolish Sophie's idea is. Isaac has been suffering all day because he thought no one remembered him. I'm tempted to spill the whole thing, but Sophie will never forgive me.

"Happy birthday, Isaac," I say sincerely.

"Never mind. I feel like an idiot for even saying anything. Go on in," Isaac says.

I pull out my phone and pretend to check my messages.

"It's a text from Sophie," I say. "I told her about the car breaking down and you driving me home. She's asking you to swing by the house so she can give you something."

Isaac opens his mouth to say something, then shuts it again.

"Fine," he says.

We get out of the car and walk up the path to the front door. I open it.

"Surprise!" Everyone yells. The guests swarm him then. He knows a few of the guests, but most of them, he doesn't. The noise and laughter and music and clattering are pressing in from all sides. I glance up at his frozen face and instantly know what's happening. I grab Isaac's hand and lead him through the crowds, smiling and thanking everyone for coming.

Once we make it to the bathroom, I open the door, gently push him inside, and shut it behind him. Poor guy. I resist the urge to slip inside and talk him through it. I didn't realize his birthday meant so much to him. If I would have realized, I wouldn't have cared what Sophie wanted. I would make sure he felt special.

"Beth!" Sophie says, making a grand entrance wearing a gorgeous, tropical sundress with her glossy hair pulled up in a high ponytail. "You made it! Where's the birthday boy?"

"Call of the wild," I say, pointing to the bathroom door.

"Well, tell him to hurry up in there," she says. "I have so many people I want him to meet! Mary! I'm so glad you could make it. You too, Bob. Have you found the refreshments, yet?"

I walk into the living room, surprised by how quickly it has emptied. Most of the guests have gone out by the pool. I pick up my present from the table.

"Beth!" a voice says.

I turn around. It's Greg.

"Oh, hi," I say flatly. I refuse to acknowledge how handsome he looks, or how cute his dimples are. Nope. I don't need more Greg drama.

"So, you never came back to the dance," he says.

"Actually, I did. You were pretty distracted with some girl in a pink bikini."

He looks at me blankly for a moment, then starts laughing.

"You mean Tammy?" he asks. I shrug, irritated.

"I don't know her name."

"Well, if you saw her launch herself at me, you must know I was sloppy seconds. Or more like sloppy sixes. I have no clue how many guys she kissed that night. That girl gets wild when she's drunk!"

"Oh," I say, faintly.

"You didn't leave because of that, did you?" he says.

Maybe, I think, but it's not like I'm going to admit it to him.

"Actually, I had a headache."

"Your old boyfriend didn't do anything to hurt you, did he?"

"How did you..." Dang it. Too late. I just admitted it.

"Know?" he finishes. "It was pretty obvious by the way he was looking at me. He thought we were together, and he didn't like it."

At this admission, I blush, and Greg grins even bigger, seeing the effect he has on me.

"Well, Sophie doesn't know, and since she's dating Isaac now, I'd just as soon not tell her."

"Really?" Greg says with interest. "Your ex is with Sophie. So, that means you're available then? When you left and never came back, I thought maybe you got back together with him."

Am I available? Will I ever be truly available when I'm so imprisoned by the past? The thought of Isaac and Sophie kissing fills my mind and my heart hurts again. I force the image away. Isaac's moved on. I need to as well.

"Yes," I say. Greg flashes his brilliant smile.

"Good," he says. "Do you think we could slip out of the party a little later? Sophie won't even notice and it's nice to get a breather away from a party sometimes. You still need to show me the bullet hole in the stairs. You did promise after all."

"I suppose I did," I say. "Sure, maybe later. I need to take care of something real quick. Will you excuse me?"

"Sure. See you around Beth."

I walk back to the bathroom and knock on the door.

"Isaac? The coast is clear whenever you're ready. Take your time."

I wait patiently for another five minutes, then I hear a flush. The door opens to an agitated Isaac.

"How could you do this, Beth?" he says. "You know me. You know I hate parties. And surprises. Do you have any idea how long I had to mentally prepare for David's party? You knew this would happen, but you did it anyway. Why, Beth?"

I've had it.

"Look, Isaac. The party wasn't my idea. It was Sophie's. I warned her you didn't like surprises, but she was sure you would. You should try to focus on how people are showing you they care. Your girlfriend has been working day and night to make this party special for you. Your Gran even made a three level German chocolate cake because she loves you. If you need to go back into the bathroom to recover, go for it. But don't blame me for what other people do!"

I turn to walk away, then realize I'm still holding Isaac's present. Turning back, I shove it into his hands.

"Happy birthday," I say, then leave him to help Violetta in the kitchen.

_________________

Whoa, good for you Beth!  I would be so fed up at this point too!  Let's click the star to show her our support.

So that was a little unexpected. Greg still likes her, hmmmm. What advice do we have for Beth? And any predictions as to what Beth's present for Isaac is?

I apologize to my dear friend tamoja that I have a Tammy in my story that is a total train wreck swapping spit with every boy she meets. I swear I didn't name her after you, but I'm sure you'd rock the swimsuit! ;)

I thought the lyrics in these songs by The Fray were so good. The worst kind of boyfriend to lose is a best friend. Pulling a few out:

How to Save a Life

As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed
He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything
Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong?
I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Never Say Never

You can never say never
While we don't know when
Time, time, time again
Younger now than we were before

We're falling apart and coming together again and again
We're growing apart but we pull it together, pull it together, together again

Don't let me go
Don't let me go
Don't let me go

Dedication goes out to @black_jazz. Thanks for your awesome comments and support of "Restless Hope." I so appreciate it! <3

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

4.4M 154K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...
4.8K 177 38
"You've become so damaged that when someone tries to give you what you deserve, you have no idea how to respond." He says taking a step closer to me...
68.3K 4.2K 40
Shane Harvard Malcolm, billionaire player has it all, except one thing. A bride! It doesn't seem important to his already perfect world. But when the...
947K 27.9K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...