Warmer Than Black (Haikyuu! F...

By BalladPhoenix

Shirai Mitsuru never talks to anyone, and no one knows why or cares to know. However, all that changes when K... More

Foreword
Chapter 1: After the Rain
Chapter 2: That New Book Smell
Chapter 3: Edgar Allan Poe Said
Chapter 4: Ice Cream As In "I Scream"
Chapter 5: Flowers for the Boy
Chapter 6: A Date, She Said
Chapter 7: How Unpleasant
Chapter 8: A Rule for Tolerance
Author's Announcement

Chapter 9: Ramen for the Girl

117 6 28
By BalladPhoenix

|

||

As of this moment, the one emotion that embodied Mitsuru was annoyance. If only her glare could burn her phone into a puddle of molten metal or maybe have it explode under her nonexistent-human-strength, the young woman already would have. Her emotion permeated from her like stinky cheese in hot weather, and none of her colleagues could soothe her. Not that they knew why anyway.

"This annoying prick!" She kept mumbling under her breath. Mitsuru huffed, heaving for breath as she wondered what to do. They could always meet tomorrow though, there's no need to meet him about it ASAP. But this was a major project, they needed to plan ASAP. Mitsuru sighed this time.

A hand gently landed itself on her shoulder, and a startled Mitsuru found her friend Mochika grinning from ear to ear.

"You seem stressed, Shirai-san," her concerned voice came with a giggle. "Wanna grab coffee with me?"

To Mitsuru, Mochika Kumogai was among the people she worked with at the publishing house. The voluptuous woman was a jar of smiles and laughter, quite the cordial spirit. People who first met Mitsuru often either poked too hard fast and backed off quickly, but the neon-loving woman knew her timing and pacing even with the anti-social Mitsuru.

Thus, the mangaka found her pleasant and became her coffee buddy at work.

As a response to Mochika's earlier inquiry, Mitsuru gave her friend a starry eyed look and shoved her phone into her pocket before grabbing her bag and following Mochika out the door. Now, the cafe they frequented at was just a Starbucks branch that conveniently established itself across their building.

Naturally, the two young ladies went up to the cashier but stopped half a meter behind a man. They didn't chat while waiting though, Mitsuru was not one for small talk and Mochika knew that. Such scenarios happened rarely. So they just looked up to the menu they were already familiar with.

One thing Mitsuru loved about this cafe was the kind of silence it had. It wasn't the same kind of silence as the library; it wasn't the eerie type either. There was a magic to it that not even Mitsuru a mangaka herself can describe. The atmosphere cafes had, in general, was relaxing, especially with the aroma of their coffee mixed with a pinch of caramel and cinnamon. Maybe the jazz music that played had a role in creating this serene atmosphere.

Quite the magic.

"Starbucks is a good meeting spot, period." The white-haired chick said this so casually out of the blue she startled Mochika. 

"Are you meeting someone?" Mochika asked, giggling in amusement. Teasingly the bespectacled girl nudged her friend, but her friend hissed a little. The man in front of them walked away and the girls went up right after him.

"A classmate—soy latte, iced. Tall, please." 

"Name, ma'am?" The cashier in front of her asked, holding up her cup with a sharpie on the other. 

"Kuro." Was her immediate response, not thinking about it at all. She always used her cat's name, since he was her baby at home. How the young woman missed him already! 

Mitsuru wondered how he was, taking the receipt then went off to find a table she and Mochika could stay at. 

Starbucks was a haven for coffee lovers or just cafe enthusiasts in general. The warm lighting enamored the cafe's customers, even with the elegant yet minimalist interiors. Mostly brown and green in color, matching the logo. Tables were free left and right, and so were the people who came in while they had their breaks. Instead of taking the table closest to the counter, Mitsuru walked down the aisle to a lone table with little customers around.

That was when Mitsuru got her own magic pumping into her veins. Her bag served to carry her tools to bring out the colors from inside her soul, while her hand was the gateway to her very own pieces. Of course, her doodles were there all over the pages of her sketchbook, but in between those doodles were masterpieces the mangaka treasured.

She drew his face, poses of what he habitually does, and expressions no question at that. But the uncanniess was there, something that Mitsuru struggled hard with. His angular jaw connected perfectly to his slender neck, his Adam's apple protruding a little from his throat. Then his hair—Mitsuru kept getting back at it, but it didn't seem to get exactly the sort of mess her reference had. His bangs teased his left eye, somehow similar to hers, but Mitsuru's were heavier and longer. Was his hair angled right? The last part were his eyes: narrowed and slightly angled up at the corners. His eyes staring—

"Shi-rai-chan! You were saying something about a classmate?" Instantly Mochika's voice startled Mitsuru. And out of reflex, she slammed her notebook shut before her companion could peek into her drawings. Why is she trying to hide them though? It wasn't like Mochika even knew how Kuroo looked like.

The young woman took the seat in front of Mitsuru, and she was grinning the entire time. Did she notice her friend panic? Mitsuru couldn't tell seeing how Mochika focused on the topic left hanging in the air. Truth be told, Mitsuru never saw Mochika not smiling. Even while they walk the bespectacled coworker would keep smiling. So on actuality, it was difficult to determine what Mochika knew. . but the mangaka decided to let it go.

"Just some dude being annoying," Mitsuru replied, loosening a little. "We have this. . stupid psyche project and we're doing in pairs. I'm not sure if I should be happy to be honest."

Mochika cocked her brow.

"Why? What's wrong with your partner?" She asked, leaning forward with intrigue brightening her face.

"He's just some dude hounding my attention for more than a year." Mitsuru slipped it out with a loud frustrated sigh. "I literally don't know anything about him though, except that he's a chemistry major."

"He must be smart then!"

"He doesn't seem that way to me though."

The frankness of her statement got Mochika bubbling with laughter, just in time to hear their names called: "Kuro-san! Mochi-san! Your orders are ready!"

Without hesitation, Mochika stood up and went off to get their drinks. Then Mitsuru remembered her classmate, so she opened up her phone again and reread his latest message: "Let's talk about the project over dinner!" Of course, Mitsuru felt a little iffy about the whole idea. Like, dinner? Was this his way to excuse the idea of a date? There's a purpose, unlike last time. Last time though was a flop—not that it was Kuroo's fault in any way.

"Here!" Mochika gently places Mitsuru's soy latte in front of her, all iced and frothy. "Going back to that boy. ."

"We're nothing, okay. He's just an annoying prick."

"You said he's been going after you for a year though. He's not a creepy stalker is he? Like one of those types who'd follow you around just like the movies."

". . Uhh. . no. More like we meet in the hallways and at the library. And he'd try to get my attention and stuff."

"And. . nothing happened?"

"N-No. ." Mitsuru glanced away, feeling her body temperature rise. No, she could feel her face grow warmer, especially her cheeks. What kind of "happened" does Mochika want to know?

Mochika only grinned a sinister smile that flashed her canine teeth, while her eyes gleamed with mischief. She, in no way, was satisfied with Mitsuru. "You're lying. Spill!"

Temperature continued to rise, and the embarrassment the girl felt forced her to escape her friend's eyes. "I'm not lying!" She insisted strongly.

Slowly she looked back at her friend, only to still see that teasing grin on Mochika's face.

"You're red though."

Mitsuru blinked, realizing she was betrayed by her own bodily reaction. "W-We went on a date once! That's it! A-And now he's asking me to dinner. ." Her voice shrank little by little saying this. She hoped Mochika would stop at that, but instead—

The bespectacled girl slammed her hands excitable on the table, not caring that the other customers gave them a glance for a brief moment. Mochika fought back to hold back her squealing! "This guy is definitely heads over heels for you, holy cow! What's he like??"

"He. Definitely. Is. NOT!" Mitsuru sighed, feeling her sense of irritation rising. "Could we just. . drink our coffee?" The girl wanted to yell and tell her friend to stop, but—

"Shirai-san, how could he not?" Mochika replied, completely ignoring what her friend last said. "You're smart, pretty, talented. And you're genuine. Plus, how could you deny if he's been. . trying to connect with you for more than a year?" 

Mochika's eyes radiated like the sun, her words spitting out like bullets her friend couldn't stop them all. Mitsuru could only internally refute them, seeing how happy her friend was for her. But Mochika was a romanticist, and just because some guy tried so hard to get close to her doesn't mean he should be a part of her life.

But isn't he already in some way?

In a teeny-tiny way?

"So what? I say yes to his dinner?" Mitsuru asked hesitantly. She bit her lip as she glanced back and forth to Mochika and her phone. In all honesty, the girl didn't know what to think and feel of all this. She didn't know how to think about the boy who decided to somehow invade her life slowly but surely.

She didn't know if she would regret letting him in.

Albeit her doubts, Tetsurou Kuroo doesn't seem to be a bad guy. He saved her from those perverts before, he kind of saved her from his creepy friend, and he didn't invade her with questions regarding Tadashi Ueno—if anything, Tetsurou has been decent. Still though, why should she—

"Just say yes!" Michiko urged on and this time Mitsuru listened.

Sent.

* * * * * * * *

As though blessed by the goddess Nike, the boy pumped his fist while he mouthed, "yeah!" so only the wind heard him. His phone was half in brightness, but it was enough for his friends to see what he was up to.

The message was written simply as: "OK". But a second later another message came in saying, "where do we meet up?" Eyebrows raised immediately at this as the three boys huddled around Tetsurou like little children. The sender only indicated: "Shiro-tsundere Cutie" which made Kozume let out a flabbergasted sigh. He knew who the sender was, but Kotaro Bokuto the dumb owl of the group apparently had no idea. Meanwhile Keiji, of course, had to explain to him who it was.

"Ah, I see! That masked chick!" Kotaro exclaimed this as though he remembered her all on his own. "You're still going after her I see."

His friend whose bed hair can never be tamed held out his hand at his owl friend without bothering to look at him. "A sec. I'm not sure where we should meet up," said Tetsurou, smiling sheepishly while his eyes was fixated on his phone. "I'm craving ramen. . could I set it up in a ramen place?"

"Oh!! Like someplace on your way home? Aren't there cheap restos near the train station?" Bokuto acted more hype compared to the one planning for his date. His soul on fire, almost nothing could dampen it except for lack of attention on the court.

Tetsurou snapped his fingers at his smart friend, and his grin curled into that of a half smile half smirk. There was definitely a cheap place really close to the station, that way neither him and Mitsuru would be inconvenienced with a long trip. He didn't know how long they'll take to discuss things at hand anyway. Popping in his message, the boy sent it right away. Not long after, he got back a reply: "Sure. Let's meet at the park then."

The response soured Tetsurou's face. But there was nothing he could do to change the girl's mind. He tried after reading her message, albeit the possibility that she must be close there. His efforts to no avail, thus he had no choice but to comply to her wishes

"Guys! Break is ending in five minutes!" Tadashi's holler echoed through the court. And a tired "okay" followed suit, an aria of voices coming from Rikkyo University varsity team. As most of the members freshened up, Tetsurou was just about to do the same. But seeing the serious expression on Kozume's face froze him to his spot. Blonde hair, slightly damn, eyes narrowed; Kozume's hand slightly motioned Tetsurou to follow him out of the gym. 

One of the things Kozume Kenma was known for was his seemingly non-intrusive attitude concerning the lifestyle his friends followed. Despite his quiet demeanor, he was already achieving what he wanted while in university. Tetsurou knew this and never felt envy for his long time best friend. However, what he didn't know about Kozume was this—

"Kuroo?" 

"Mmm, you're not mad at me anymore are you?"

His eyebrows don't pull together, but his eyes did narrow. "I'm still pissed just so you know. I even ranted to Eru. And as always she defended you."

Kozume sighed.

"Whoops, I did apologize."

"Whatever."

"Did you want to talk about something?" Tetsurou asked with a sheepish grin curled on his lips. This time, Kozume frowned but doesn't say anything immediately.

"I'm not comfortable with you doing that bet. And I didn't even know about it til you told me nearly halfway the school semester," said Kozume as he stared intently at Tetsurou.

"Bet? You mean Shirai-chan?"

Kozume nodded. "I feel sorry for Shirai-san getting played for twenty-thousand yen. I couldn't say anything for a while, but since you're bringing her up in front of Bokuto and Akaashi like it's nothing. . I had to say something—

"Why are you doing the bet?"

Eyes fixated on each other, each trying to guess what the other was thinking. They could hear their captain already hollering that their practice is about to start once again. Another round of heart-pounding and sweat dripping exercises, both boys were silently wishing that it'd end already.

The question Kenma had imposed on Tetsurou dumbfounded him. Why? He had never really thought about why he was doing the bet, pretending to be attracted to Mitsuru Shirai. It was brought up during one of the camping camp trips during the year before, and somehow Tetsurou ended up doing the dare. He also knew her years back (though to note, the girl didn't remember him at all—a big sad for him), so it shouldn't be so hard.

But Mitsuru was more resilient than anyone thought.

"I honestly don't have an answer for that. Don't worry too much about it, Kenma. It doesn't involve you," Tetsurou replied as he scratched the back of his head.

Kozume shrugged.

"I just wanted to tell you. . I hope you won't regret doing this to Shirai-chan," said Kenma, giving his friend a side glance.

"We're just gonna meet up for the project, don't worry," Tetsurou chuckled, but it choked with unease.

If there was anything Tetsurou was proud of, it was reading Kozume's unreadable expressions. They've known each other long enough to often guess right. Though Kozume Kenma's face softened from his frown, transitioning into that of a deadpanned expression, Tetsurou saw only nonchalance emitting from his friend. Yet. . there was a hint of disappointment in the boy's eyes.

"Well. . good luck then." And Kozume headed into the gym first, leaving Tetsurou staring at his back.

* * * * * * * *

He had first suggested that they meet at the gym, Tetsurou thought it'd be cool to show off a little how close he was to win the bet. Not today he though, not when Mitsuru insisted on meeting away from their university. Did she read his mind perhaps? Tetsurou couldn't help but wonder. So instead of meeting at the gym as their rendezvous, they were to meet up at Ikebukuro Nishi-guchi Park. The girl knew the area well enough.

Tetsurou only needed a few minutes to the park, about ten minutes or so. But he knew it was massive and finding Mitsuru might be a pain. He could tell her exactly where she should wait, or maybe she'll just text him her exact location. Not a biggie, supposedly, right?

The park wasn't a grassy one, rather one that was neatly designed with clay tiles almost like a monochrome mosaic. Rings of gray gradients radiated from the foundation at the center, perfect already on its own. Then at the very center, globs of water ebbed from its own buried clay ring, shimmering a cool blue hue. Even at night, people, specifically tourists, roamed this park. They were engrossed in this beauty, even if there was an empty stage left adjacent to the Ikebukuro bus station.

Tetsurou was about to text his date when—

There she was, standing patiently under neon lights that danced on her hair with blue and orange lights. Her frame was exaggerated by the coat she had worn that morning, so Tetsurou assumed she had not gone home. But instead of observing her lively surroundings, the white-haired chick glued her eyes to her phone with one hand stuffed into her pocket.

Tetsurou felt a chuckle bubble out of his mouth, the reason was merely amusement. He was soon standing right beside her, but still, Mitsuru failed to notice. That is until he poked his finger into her cheek.

"A lovely evening isn't it, Shirai-chan?" Tetsurou greeted her and Mitsuru swatted his hand away right when she felt him. She frowned at him as she placed her phone into her pocket. 

"You sure took your sweet time." 

"I'm treating you to dinner and you snarl at me. It hurts!" The boy cried out while clutching his chest, sticking his tongue out at her right after.

Mitsuru hissed at him but took a step back really briefly. She blinked once or twice, suddenly breaking out into a full debate inside her head. Indeed, the boy called her out for dinner to discuss the project while taking responsibility by paying for the meal himself. And she was rude right off the bat? Not exactly good behavior and the girl acknowledged this sour fact. "Good evening," Mitsuru stammered clumsily. "Happy now?"

The meek expression on Mitsuru's face took the boy aback. Never did he imagine this day would come.

"Wow, that was unexpected. You're full of surprises today, Shirai-chan," said Tetsurou and began to lead the way towards their destination.

"I did say I was coming back didn't I? I don't back off from schedules I make unless I absolutely have to," the girl explained herself with a sharp tone. A sigh came right after she said that and continued: "It's a project we're talking about anyway. This one isn't going to be. . easy. So, we have to plan schedules and stuff. Stupid Korizawa-sensei asked for fifteen to twenty recipients and we have like about a month and a half to do it."

"I do think the project is extreme; I didn't think you'd call our prof stupid though," Tetsurou chuckled.

He lifted his gaze off of his companion and turned to the road ahead of them. Ikebukuro was alive with fluorescent lights, brighter than the invisible stars in the inky sky above the building tops. What was more alive was the passion of youth streaming through smiles and laughter, a contrast to the quiet couple. Maybe it was because the night was young people roamed the streets. Or maybe it was because the moon was beautiful tonight.

Who knows?

The walk to that restaurant Tetsurou was treating her to happened to be at the next corner, its name being Hidakaya Ikebukuro. Warm orange light permeated from the inside, giving off a relaxing feel. A picture by the door displayed the restaurant's menu which was a myriad of ramen.

Tetsurou urged the girl to head on inside, and she did. From the end of the room, waiters welcomed the newly arrived couple. The boy practically chose a seat close to the door. But he didn't get the chance to sit down. With a tug on his shirt, Tetsurou saw Mirai point to another table, one furthest from people.

"You really don't like people, don't you?"

"We came here to discuss our project, I would've preferred a cafe," Mitsuru replied. "But you're paying, so. But. . why here?"

"Cuz ramen," was Tetsurou's simple answer. "From a popular, affordable franchise."

Right.

"Kuroo, about the project. We should visit retirement homes for quick results. I haven't researched yet because I had work." She was not one for small talk, and she came here only to discuss the project. At this time she should've been home with her lovely furball, but instead, Mitsuru decided to hold back for the sake of the said project. 

"Wait let's order first," said Tetsurou, taking a look at the menu on their table.

Mitsuru deadpanned at him. "Please tell me you have a plan while you were practicing!"

"Food first, Shirai-chan," Tetsurou purred.

The girl sighed, but did as he suggested. In the next few minutes, Tetsurou found out that Mitsuru Shirai preferred tonkotsu over miso, and she picked juice over beer. She did get gyoza to pair with her ramen though just like Tetsurou. They sort of ended up sharing over a single plate of six pieces.

Once they got their orders sorted out, Tetsurou pressed the button and a waiter came to take their order a moment later. The waiter jotted their order down before saying, "I'll be back with your order," with a big smile on his face and leaving Tetsurou and Mitsuru to finally discuss.

"You were saying we visit retirement homes earlier?" Tetsurou pulled out his phone to research.

"I did think visiting actual homes would be nice, but it's too much of a hassle," said Mitsuru, also pulling out her phone. "Since sensei doesn't want it all in Tokyo. . we could visit Kyoto and Yokohoma."

"Wait, have you heard of the Jikka House in Shizuoka?" Tetsurou asked and showed his phone to Mitsuru.

"Wanna go there?" She asked.

"It would be interesting." The boy grinned. "Why not tour a little when we could?"

Mitsuru couldn't help but agree to visit such a house. They looked like tepees made of shells, pretty interesting architecture.

"As stupid as this project is, I  hope it's worth it." Mitsuru let out a loud sigh.

Her companion laughed a little. "I hope so too. Wanna visit retirement homes in Fukuoka?"

Immediately Mitsuru frowned at the boy in front of her, realizing how crazy he was. "No! That's far! Kyoto should be our furthest, Kuroo!"

"Whoa, no need to get mad, Shirai-chan! Just a suggestion, haha," Tetsurou laughed. "How about Miyagi then?" A certain old man was in his mind; it wouldn't be bad to visit him for his previous coach's sake.

"You're doing this for touring, what the hell!"

"Hey, hey! You agreed to Shizuoka to tour!" Tetsurou pointed out, raising an eyebrow at her.

"It's near here!"

"You. . It's closer than Kyoto! Stop being so nit picky! This is for grades, Shirai-chan!"

His last statement was the dealbreaker; instantly Mitsuru backed down about the distance issue though underneath her mask she pouted for the unnecessary excessive effort. If they find poignant stories then, fine, it should be worth the effort. Hopefully, the boy was good at writing stories. She'd kill him if not.

Their bowls of ramen came soon afterwards along with their freshly fried gyoza. The permeating aroma of good pork filled the air between the yin and yang, soothing their shoulders, stealing away their stress.

The boy couldn't start eating right away. His eyes were fixated on a troubled Mitsuru, who couldn't immediately bring down her mask from her face. To the girl, she'll be laughed at for her moles. He may have not noticed it at the library, but Tetsurou Kuroo might definitely notice them this time. Mitsuru was wrong though—

He understood why she felt so conscious of them.

"I'm not gonna laugh," said Tetsurou, grinning at Mitsuru from ear to ear. "I know about your moles."

"Eh? No way!!"

"Like I'd forget your face at the library."

 Eyes widened to the size of saucers and heat rose up her face all the way to her ears. From a frank emo, Mitsuru turned into a meek tomato troubled with jumbled thoughts. She dared not look at Tetsurou in the eye, otherwise face a boy eager to torment her. If he had known about the strange black dots, why hasn't he said anything? Did they not look funny to him?

"Um. . shouldn't we just eat?" With that Tetsurou began digging into his ramen, leaving Mitsuru to debate. Glance after glance, the girl slowly peeled off one ear loop before finally pulling off the other. Still her eyes didn't dare look up, remembering the stars on her face. Until—

"Shirai-chan, no one is looking."

His words somehow magnetized her gaze. Locked in what seemed like an eternity, Mitsuru waited for Tetsurou to laugh or tease her.

But he doesn't.

~~~

Number of words: 4351

This chapter is dedicated to Lintang1806! Thank you sm for your support uwu 

Also special thanks to starshipology for her big help on the resto details hehe <3 ILYSM Ares <3

WHEW FINALLY UPDATED OMG !!?! Gawd, really sorry for the eternity, I've been sidetracked by art, which my inspiration for has finally started to kick in again. (By the way, you could def check them out in my insta: raitatsukiko.)

So how are you guys? I hope quarantine has been good to you uwu annnnd so what do you guys think about this new chapter? This is their second time eating together, and definitely a better time to spend some quality moments  <3

Thoughts?

> Mochika giving Mitsuru ideas that Kuroo might have feelings for her??

> Kenma is pissed at Kuroo for being a jerk off??

> And who do you think Kuroo is thinking of visiting in Miyagi? haha

Thank you all for reading, despite my super slow updates, ugh. Please comment your thoughts!

- Rai

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.7K 1K 51
ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇᴅ 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚟𝚒𝚜𝚒𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝙹𝚊𝚙𝚊𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚋𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚑𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚜𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚕 𝚕𝚎...
13.3K 335 10
Kozume Kenma has been dating his childhood friend, Kuroo Tetsurou, but now Kuroo is acting weird. Kenma feels like Kuroo is hiding something, and it...
81.8K 2.9K 29
A chatfic 😻😻
513K 10.1K 42
Kuroo Tetsuro; a young hot billionaire with an even hotter fiance. The night when his friends supposedly invited a female stripper for his bachelor p...