Icon

By AliciaMarino

Iris Tremaine is an icon. A fashion icon. At twenty-six years old, she's at the top of the fashion industry... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 9

42.1K 2K 76
By AliciaMarino

My eyes open unsurely as I hear mowers loud in my ear. I blink a few times, seeing my bedroom is lit up with fresh morning light. As I feel strong arms tighten around my body, the night's pleasures come back to me, bringing a sleepy smile onto my face.

As his lips press to my cheek softly, I can't help but hum happily, turning over. His hair is wild and his eyes crinkled from tiredness but there's a smile on his face.

"Good morning," I murmur softly, resting my head against my hand on the pillow. He settles his hand over my waist, nodding.

"Mornin'." I bite my lip, shaking my head as my cheeks start to go red within seconds. His brow rises in question. "Why are you blushing?"

"I have no idea."

"Well... you look beautiful," he whispers, pulling me in close. There's no tension, no awkwardness. We simply seem happy to be with one another. I rest my cheek against his chest, exhaling loudly.

"... Do you have plans today?"

I hear him chuckle softly. "You got anything in mind?"

I pull back, nodding. "Yes."

"Yeah? Well what is it?"

"I want to find the river."

"The river?"

"Yeah. The creek behind my house- it has to lead to something."

"Ah, I see."

I smile. "Wanna?"

"I'm in. Will Viktor be coming?"

"No, I give him and Eric weekends off. Eric actually has a family- they live just down the street. And Viktor already works like a dog for me Monday thru Friday. I usually work on my own on the weekends."

"You work on weekends too?"

I nod. "Usually."

"Marcus?"

"He would work too."

He smiles suddenly, shaking his head as he sits up. "Unacceptable."

"What?"

"You've got to live once in a while. Let's go. Just brush your teeth, throw on some clothes, and lets go."

I grin wide, pulling the covers off swiftly.

...

"Oh no," I utter, shaking my head. The bridge in front of us is over the river- the rather large river- and it looks nowhere near sturdy enough. "No, no. I'm not going over this."

He turns, in ripped jeans, a white t-shirt, and a leather jacket. I seemed to have forgotten to get him casual clothing at the stores. We're going to have to go back sometime this weekend although; I may want him to dress like this forever. "Why not?"

"Look at it! It's practically falling apart!"

"It's eighty years old."

"How do you know that?"

"There was a sign at the beginning," he answers, reaching out for my hand. "Come on."

"No way, no. I didn't think there would be a bridge involved. I have a fear of heights."

"It's not too high, Iris. You can hold onto me. That way we'll both die if it breaks."

I glare at him and he laughs, throwing his head back. "Yeah, yeah... You better die if we fall or I'm gonna haunt you the rest of your life."

"Deal. Let's go."

I take his hand with a groan and stare down at my boots. "I can't believe I'm going to do this."

"You're a ridiculously famous model. You've never had to do a shoot on something dangerous?"

"I was getting paid then!"

"I'll pay you," he murmurs, smirking slightly, stepping onto the wood. I gape at him, looking rather forward to it. I step up with him, gasping as I can see the water rushing below our feet.

"This doesn't-" I move forward, feeling the bridge move with us. Jesus Christ. "This doesn't feel safe."

"It wouldn't be open to the public if it weren't, Iris. Here go before me, I'll hold onto you."

I move in front of him and relax slightly as he presses up behind me, settling his hands over mine on the railing. Thankfully, it's a chilly day so not many people are here to witness my panic attack.

We move forward slowly together and it's not long before we're halfway across.

"See? ... It can be good to live once in a while."

I turn my face, stopping in place. My eyes meet his and I nod, letting go of the railing to cup his neck. He bends down, kissing me softly. I sigh into him, completely content in this frigid weather.

I pull back, breathless and realize there are people close behind us. "Oops," I whisper, chuckling when he looks back. With a deep breath, I turn and make my way towards dry, safe land. Settling down onto the dirt myself, I watch him smirk, coming off the wood.

"Don't say a word."

"I wasn't gonna."

He wraps an arm around my shoulder and I reach up, taking his hand. We walk slowly along the edge of the water, quiet. Rivers are such contemplating areas. There's something about them that make you think.

I never behaved like this with Marcus. Or with Darren. They never held me the way Stellan does, they never looked at me the way he does. I feel like I can do anything- like I want to do everything- with him.

But how can I feel like this? I barely know this man. I really just met him.

"Look." I look over at him, leaving my thoughts and follow his gaze towards the river. He's staring at a small store- it reads Boat and Tubing Rentals.

"I'm in if you are." I laugh, pulling him towards it.

...

I lean back, basking in the sunlight. The cloud cover today is vast, thankfully, so I don't have to worry about sunburn. I have a shoot on Monday.

"I love this," I murmur, opening my eyes as if it were hard. I find him staring at me, his expression rather hard to read.

"Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

I nod. "Sure."

"You've been modeling for a long time?"

"Yeah, since I was seventeen."

"How did it happen?"

"Uh, I lived in Brooklyn. Actually around the corner from the laundry mat."

"... Is that why you go all the time?"

"Yeah, I find it surprisingly calming. It reminds me of the place I used to live- the orphanage."

"You liked living there?"

"As much as someone could, I guess. The owner, her name was Louise; she cared for every person like family. I lived with about ten other children."

"And your family- you said they left you when you were a baby. But you also said- that they died..."

My stomach churns as I realize I have to lie. "Yes. I found out about it after I was working at Vogue."

"Vogue? So that was your start?"

"Yeah, yeah, it was. A man- he saw me on the street, heading back from the grocery store. He was fashionable and wonderfully dressed. He told me I had potential and that he had connections."

"Wow, nice guy, then."

I purse my lips, shaking my head. "No. Not so nice in the end, actually... Um, sometime after my first modeling gig- a cover shot for Vogue, he- he approached me and told me I owed him. That he got me to where I was- said I was going to be huge- as long as I slept with him."

"Did you?"

"Yes, I did. Once. I had nothing. He could take away everything in one moment- he had told me that- and I was scared. When he tried again, I refused. He blew up on me, called me an ungrateful brat and told me my modeling career was over."

I feel Stellan's hand rest over mine, entwining our fingers. I smile slightly and shrug.

"It wasn't. The Vogue shot was enough. I worked really hard and went through some difficult times but here I am. And while he was a terrible human being- he gave me my start in this business. It's a cruel one but really satisfying."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," he whispers, pressing his lips to my shoulder.

"It's funny- I've never actually told anyone that before." I turn to my side and run my fingers through his wind-blown hair. "But now, maybe you can see why I could never judge you for- for what you did?"

"Yes, I can see now... Even though you're still completely crazy."

"Yeah, I am."

"But I'm grateful... Really grateful- even if this doesn't work out, okay?"

"It will work out, Stellan. I can promise you that."

"Don't promise anything, Iris," he murmurs softly, shaking his head. I stare at him, unable to comprehend what it must feel like to not trust anyone.

"Ste-"

He clutches my face with one hand, rubbing his thumb softly over my bottom lip. His eyes squint slightly as he shakes his head. "No promises." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 47.2K 42
"Miss Montgomery, you start at 8am tomorrow morning in my office, not a minute late. If you are as good as you say you are, I may just apologise", he...
276K 7.7K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
282K 7.4K 30
*Book title has been updated, previously known as Ace* Imagine seeing someone unable to buy food because they didn't have the money. Then randomly a...
274K 10K 35
Please vote and comment! My goal is at least 2k likes and 100 comments :) This story is as realistic as life gets. Please enjoy it, it is my first st...