Primitive Instincts

By Minty1254

~ My skin prickled from the odd sensation of the warmth radiating off of him like an oven, I could smell him... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 6

40.5K 1.2K 195
By Minty1254

{Aspen's wolf above⬆️}

I woke up earlier then usual that morning, my head was pounding with anxiety and my body felt restless. A thin film of dried sweat had encased itself to my skin making it feel grimy and oily. Today would be different, that much was certain.

White bedsheets were tangled wildly around my legs, it felt constricting and limited my movements, there was too much fabric for my liking. I preferred one comforter and that's it, not twenty of these death traps wrapping around me in the middle of the night.

I tried hopelessly to fall back asleep because I didn't feel like taking on the world today, but of course my efforts failed miserably and only left me lying in bed with my eyes closed while my mind was doing laps.

I guess I'd go to early morning training today since there was no point in staying in bed all day. No one would dare say it to me but I did tend to get a little lazy during the winters.

Training usually took place outside on a large flat field with evenly cut grass, a few obstacle courses were scattered around, but most of the action happened in the sparring rings. However, since the snow has covered the field, training has been moved to an indoor gymnasium with a similar setup.

Hand to hand combat was my specialty, I loved how intense it is to stare your opponent straight in the eye right before the take down. So I did tend to spend most my time sparring while growing up in training class, like all young wolves it's important to learn how to defend yourself and kick someone's ass.

Younger wolves around the age of 15 start training and can have the choice to stop at age 20, I still train though even when I'm a year older, but definitely not with moody teens. I train with the elite fighting squad of advanced warriors, the highest skilled fighting class we have.

I know the name sounds like it should be on nickelodeon

Getting up I tumbled ungracefully towards the bathroom and cracked each one of my joints, my mind didn't even register the fact I was still in my dress. All I did was simple peel off the wrinkled garment and hopped into the shower.

The hot water assaulted my sore muscles and eased the tension building up, my entire body relaxed and all the worries I was stressing about melted away down the drain like magic. Old battle scars seemed to hurt less under the nurturing heat and my mind cleared with a haze of mist rising from the water.

Instantly I felt alert and focused on my day.

"First things first, go to training, next eat something 'cause girl you'll be hungry, after breakfast think about how you're going to win 'The Hunting', find Rachel cause I miss her, and proceed as necessary." Magara yipped like a mother wolf ordering her pup around.

"I'm glad you're on board with me winning 'The Hunting'." She surprised me by actually helping figure a plan for today out. "It means a lot."

"Well of course in the end I'll agree with you, your my 'hominum' and I'm your 'spiritum' we are together in this." Wolves can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but they are the most loyal living creatures on earth and it's hard to think of a time, when it came down to it, that Magara didn't have my back.

"But we're still going to lose." She added ruining the moment. "Thanks" I drawled out sarcasticly, she's only helping me because she knows we're not going to win.

But still I'll take all the help I can get.

The water felt amazing but I didn't want to be late for training, so cutting my shower short I shut it off and stepped into the misty bathroom air. My towel was very colourful like it should be displayed in a summer beach equipment magazine, I rubbed it all around my body trying to dry off as quick as possible.

Slipping into my training gear (high-waisted workout leggings and a sports bra) maneuvering my hair in a ponytail I then raced down to the kitchen, while smelling something amazing wafting through the halls of the pack house.

My mind started to be filled with the possible delicious creations Louisa has whipped up for breakfast, I hope it is pancakes or French toast with a heaping serving of bacon, sausages, or hash browns. I love breakfast if you haven't noticed.

Getting to the kitchen doorway I smelled neither Louisa or any other pack member I knew, but rather several unfamiliar scents invading the very air I breathed. I could hear the deep grumbles of their chatter and hearty laughter echoing out the doorway making my hairs stand on end. All of them were male and if my hunch served correct they'd all be wolves from the Red Druid pack, luckily I didn't recognize a scent matching Hunters.

Taking a deep breath I prepared myself for the battle that would begin now, I know that couldn't attack me because of the rules of 'The Hunting' but that did little to ease my anxiety. Putting on a strong, stone cold expression I strutted past the door like a soldier marching into war.

Three large full grown males sat at the island as one was at the stove making an omelette. The ones at the island were engulfed in eating their own breakfast and ranting about some rogue they caught last night. They didn't even notice my presence as I walked behind them, making my way around to the fridge.

Finally as I opened the fridge the noise drew all of their attention and silenced the conversation. The four males had stopped eating and cooking and were completely immersed in my movements. Their dark eyes focused on me, watching my every move as I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and sat at the farthest end of the island.

Starring back like a predator I opened my water and quenched my thirst, never once did I let my guard down. These males, although around the same age as me, together could definitely slaughter me without even breaking a sweat.

Tenseness filled the air as neither one of the parties was submitting or speaking up, just cold dead silence hanged thick amongst us. After a few minutes more of the awkwardness I couldn't bare sitting in the same room as these outsiders.

Getting up to leave I felt a hand grip my shoulder. It was not hard enough to bruise skin or crush bones, still the pressure was noticeable and held authority.

I saw the male who was at the stove smiling down at me, his posture was relaxed and unthreatening. A large shadow was glooming over me unintentionally making me wary. He had to be at least a whopping 6'3 or 6'4 which was intimidating for any she-wolf. However, his sandy blond hair and soft hazel eyes equipped with a lazy grin was hard to hate, and not to mention the fact he was undoubtedly handsome.

"Stay, you need more than just water for breakfast and we'd hate to make you feel like you're being threatened in your own home." His voice was joyous but soft, like if he spoke to harshly I'd shatter into a million pieces.

'Maybe you should of thought of that before you forced your way into our territory if your so concerned with my feelings!' I thought, angry with the fact I was powerless with the situation and I had no control over my future. I was about to unleash my fury upon these unfortunate souls until I looked up into blondie's eyes and my anger quickly evaporated when I saw how hopeful he looked.

"Uhhhh..." My voice trailed off, it wasn't like this was an everyday things for Wolves to do, most hate others from foreign packs and avoid them at all costs, but blondie was intentionally asking me to interact with them. Rachel would probably be halfway across the continent by now if she was here, Rae never dealt well with uncomfortable situations and often ran away to hide from them.

Blondie spoke up again "How 'bout I make you something to eat, my name's Leo and this is Dimitri, Alex, and Jayden," gesturing to the males watching from the other end of the island "we're from the Red Druids pack... Which you probably know..." He chuckled and sauntered back to the stove whistling.

Unknowing about what to do I just plopped right back down into my seat and watched as Leo made me breakfast.

"Why are they being friendly to me, they're suppose to be bloodthirsty Red Druid warriors with no souls and blinded by killer instinct?" I frantically asked Magara hoping she might bring light to the situation.

"I don't know, I mean I guess..." She trailed off, unsure as to whether or not she should continue.

"You guess what!" I asked furious she was debating on withholding the answer from me.

Magara huffed "Well... we are destined to be their future Luna and in that sense they probably want to have a bond with us, I mean it's only natural for pack members to wish to seek acceptance from their superiors." Her words slapped me in the face making my blood freeze and skin break out into a cold sweat.

'How could they assume me to be their Luna when I don't even want to be the mate to their Alpha, for crying out loud!' I shrieked inside my head, wishing I could just go back to bed.

Looking around I saw each one of the males looking towards me with a new found curiosity, Leo looked back and smiled cheerfully. Now I see through the nice act and truly know what they want. They want me to be announced Luna and for their pack to be complete once and for all, because everyone knows a powerful Alpha is the foundation to a strong pack, but the Luna's the heart and soul. Without her the she-wolves would lose order and pack will erupt into chaos, eventually.

Setting a plate with an omelette and toast in front of me Leo sat across from me and the other males followed in suit until I was completely surrounded by testosterone pumped males all staring at me. Breaths were held and hopes we're on the verge of tumbling off the cliff.

Accepting this food had an underlying purpose, if I eat it means I was dependent on them for something and therefor my loyalty sides with them or at the very least I've accepted their presence, but if I refuse I've insulted their ability to protect and provide therefore rejecting my duty to the pack and role as Luna.

If I don't eat I could start a war and inevitably destroy my pack, although we were stronger then most packs our population is shockingly low and would be pulverized by the Red Druid army. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place with no place other to go.

Gripping the cool metal fork I cut a small piece of the omelette and shakily brought it up to my mouth. I heard a sharp inhaled of breaths as I did so, everyone was on the edge of their seats waiting to see if I went through with my actions, however they were trying to play it cool as if they didn't care about the fact I seemingly accepted them.

I hesitantly popped the morsel into my mouth and slowly chewed. It was delicious, but so painful at the same time. Stiffly I swallowed loudly making sure they heard I've fully consumed the food.

Heavy sighs of relief filled the room and the tension melted away leaving everyone seating easier in their seats. I continued to eat because 1. If I stop now that would be even worse then not accepting it at all and 2. It was really yummy and I was really hungry.

Leo beamed at me and smile brightly, in fact, Dimitri, Alex, and Jayden all smiled happily like they all had experienced a tremendous burden and it has been just lifted off their shoulders.

"Well, I suppose you'd like to know a little more about us, as for a fact, I am the Beta of the Red Druid pack and these brutish fellows here are some of the packs finest warriors." Leo said trying to gain my attention from the plate, which I shamefully been staring at for the last minute as I ate.

Looking up the black marking on Alex's bare arm caught my eye and intensely began to try and figure out what the strange tribal patterns meant. I remember seeing these earlier at the pack house when the Red Druids just arrived and instantly wanted to know if they symbolized anything other then what pack their loyalties lie with.

"What do those mean?" I asked curiously and motioned my head towards Alex's arm. "All of you have them, including Alpha Hunter, is there any other meaning besides the fact your from Red Druid?" I boldly asked, I remember seeing it when Hunter was in my room last night and his t-shirt left a clear view of the intricate tattoo.

"Oh, you mean our 'notans'." Alex chimed in, he grinned at me as if I was a child asking why the sun followed me around no matter where I go.

"Notans?" The word felt foreign and strange in my mouth, but also a strange sensation filled me as I said the ancient word.

"'Notans' is branding in Latin and is a ancient right of passage for all young male warriors, each young boy must complete the sacred challenge before receiving the 'notans' and becoming a true member of the Red Druid pack-" Dimitri explained "they symbolize strength, courage, and status all very valued qualities in our pack, the darker the tattoo the higher the wolves rank is."

"As for Alphas they have the darkest 'notans' which would be retraced should it not already be black and receive extra markings covering their chests..." Calmly said Jayden then looked at me with a wicked glint in his eyes "don't worry though, I'm sure Alpha Hunter will be showing you his very soon." He chuckled and the others glared at him with annoyance.

My cheeks blushed furiously at his innuendo and I couldn't help but imagine Hunter without his shirt on and the markings covering his hard sculptured chest. My face grew even hotter and I knew it probably looked like a tomato about now, but I just couldn't stop it.

"Awwww look she blushing, doesn't she look cute?" Jayden teased.

"Leave Lun- I mean Aspen alone!" Leo scolded Jayden who only snickered some more and grinned at me.

It didn't miss my brain that Leo was about to refer to me as Luna, it couldn't be good that that was the first thing to register in his mind when he thought about me and that he was almost assured enough to call me that. However, right now wasn't the time to be getting mad about that. The males were looking angry at Jayden and I could feel a fight starting to come to a boil.

Growls and snarls emitted from the wolves throats as well as eyes flickering from black to normal. Emotions tend to be heightened for werewolves along with the senses, seems anger/aggression is the most prominent and easiest to set off.

Changing the subject and trying to avoid an all out brawl between the grown wolves I asked "How old do boys from your pack get these?"

Breaking away from the heated stares they all returned their eyes to me and things instantly cooled down.

"Boys must complete the challenge and are given their 'notans' by age 12, if they fail to pass they are demoted to omegas and must become maids, servants, chefs, and stuff." Alex answered like it was a normal, okay thing which it most likely was in their pack.

"That's a little harsh isn't it?" I said and the four males looked at each other and shrugged.

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, same goes for a pack, but if our weakest link is as strong as their toughest then our chain can withstand any weight others may throw against it." Leo replied wisely and his words astonished me.

These weren't savage murderers or mindless monsters like the stories say, they were just wolves dedicated to protecting what is theirs and although the methods may be extreme, result don't lie and from the sounds of it, proves whatever the Red Druid pack has been doing over the many years is very effective.

Then an innocent question popped into my head, without much concern I asked these friendly males who I could take a liking to given the chance.

"What is the challenge the boys must complete to pass?" My voice was clear but obvious my mind was somewhere else not to concerned about what the answer is, rather just making polite conversation.

Half listening I heard Dimitri say boredom rang throughout his words, but what he said stay in my mind forever.

"The boys must successfully hunt a rouge wolf or other pack member and bring back its head to the Alpha, this marks the final stage of the innocents of childhood and begins their journey to becoming a man, a warrior." I swear my jaw dropped so low it hit the ground.

Oh my god.

I was very wrong.

These are the monsters from my bedtime stories.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Wow! Things got a little heated there. A little bit of a filler chapter but also some interesting information on the Red Druid pack and the introduction to not one but four new characters. Might I say I think Jayden is my favourite. I'm thinking on making him the clown and prankster of the foursome while I'm getting the vibe from Dimitri as the bored quiet type and Alex... well I'm not really sure about Alex, comment below on how you think Alex should be like. Then, of course there is Leo the brotherly and got your back kind of guy, who may or may not have further use in spicing up the story a bit, no he is not going to be another romance interest for Aspen you'll just have to wait and find out! Anyways, don't forget to vote and comment below bye!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 46.4K 38
His lips pulled back into a sneer, "You will stay by me, in this fucking house." He growls, stepping into my personal bubble. His face barely inches...
76.3K 2.7K 47
"I don't care that you're my mate. I will never... and I repeat, I will never be yours, Hunter." she grits her teeth, making Hunter smirk. "Is that a...
657K 18.3K 20
"Mine!" I heard him growl. I turned around and screamed. He was so close to me our chests were touching. Alpha Carter is my mate! "No...no...no, yo...
28.6M 878K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...