Hell's Angel (BK 1)

By Nightwingbellamy

Dani Dylan, a Private Investigator by day, comes to Hell's Kitchen for a fresh start. Little does she know, h... More

Angel
Private Investigator
On a Mission
Mr. Dawson
Secrets
A Deal with the Devil
Alison
Rescue Mission
Failed Attempts
Front Page
Condemned
The Lucky One
The Devil of Hell's Kitchen
Without a Tres
Repairs
The Dynamic Duo
Aftermath
The Angel of Hell's Kitchen
Dani
How to Save a Life
Untold Truths
Party Hardy
Do You Do Chicks?
Better Than 24
Mistakes and Missteps
Kung Pou
One Week Later
Hoffman
Fisk
Reunions and Conclusions
End
The Scene at the End
Author's Note

In a Mask

3.4K 113 2
By Nightwingbellamy

Dani's POV
(Nightwing27th)

I close the door behind me and stop. I close my eyes and take a breath. Just focus on the task at hand. If someone really does come looking for him, I'll deal with it then. My cell phone in my left jacket pocket starts vibrating, stopping me from lowering my heart rate. I quickly reached in my jacket to pull out the phone.

But this isn't my phone. It's my other half's. Only one person on the planet has the number to this phone: Chase. I flip it open and answer it as I start walking towards the stairs. "Hello?" his voice squeaks on the other end. "Angel?"

"I'm here," I replied. Angel. That's been his nickname for me ever since he found out about me. And since I wouldn't tell him my real name, he felt the need to find a different one. "What's wrong? This number is for life and death emergencies." I can't let him I know I already know why he's calling.

"It is!" I pulled the phone away from my ear as he shouted the words. "It is, really. Some woman brought this guy to our house. He's hurt, but he's wearing a mask. I think he's the guy I've heard about at school."

"Yeah, kid, I know who you're talking about," I said as I exited the building. "I ran into him the other night."

"Did you hurt him?!"

"No, of course not. But, I'll find out who did, I promise you that." I entered my building and headed up the stairs. Once I made it to my door I fumbled with the keys. "Just hang tight, Okay? I'll be there in a minute and I'll help sort this out."

"Okay. Is this guy evil, are we in danger by him being here?"

"No, he's not evil." At least I don't think. I burst into my 'apartment' and start stripping; throwing clothes everywhere as I walked through the office and into my room. "As far as the danger part, I don't know. That's why I'm coming. Just stay put, I'll be there in a second."

I closed the phone and tossed it on the bed. I can't talk and change at the same time. I walked into my small walk-in closet, flip on the light. I parted the hanging clothes and then put my hand on the back wall, feeling for the latch. Once my fingers found it, I grabbed it and slid the panel of the wall over.

I stepped inside, turned around, put the clothes back where they belonged, and then closed the panel behind me. I grabbed the chain hanging down in the middle of the room and pulled, turning on the light. I always get butterflies every time I see my suit. I grinned, then grabbed my black leggings.

I slipped them on and then reached for my black tank top with a high neck. My feet slid into my black leather knee high boots, as I simultaneously slid an arm guard onto my left forearm. After strapping it down, I put on my blue leather jacket, zipping it all the way.

I spun on my heel and eyed my collection of bleach blonde wigs. My hand flew to the one with a long, thick braid that goes down the left shoulder and a few loose bangs hanging down on the forehead. Out of all the ones I've tried, this one's my favorite. I pulled my quiver off the wall, checked its contents, and then swung it over my shoulder.

I picked up my bow with my left hand and then looked up at the next shelf, where my glasses sat. I picked them up and held them in my hand a second, making sure the blue tinted lenses were clean before putting them on. I turned the light off and then walked to the back of the room, to the roof exit.

It only took me a couple minutes to get to Alison's building, and then another thirty seconds to climb the fire escape that leads to Chase's room. I figure this is better than the front door. If someone catches me, especially whoever's looking for the Mask, it won't be good for the Fletchers.

I rap my knuckles on the window a few times and then wait. Chase's face presses firmly against the window, smearing something on it before he decided to open it. I pulled a knife out of my boot and used it to pop the screen out of it's socket. "That was fast!" he exclaimed.

"Yeah. Now, try not alerting the whole neighborhood to my presence."

"Oh, sorry."

"Where's your mom?"

"She's still out there with him." He added a little extra emphasis on 'him', almost like he was a tad jealous. "But I snuck out there anyway. You missed it, the guy almost died." What?! That's not good, really not good.

"Move." He quickly stepped to the side as I climbed in the window. "Keep the window locked. I'll fix the screen later." He closed the window as I walked to the door. I put my hand on the knob and then turned to look at him. "I need you to stay here, Chase. Just a little longer and then you can come out."

"Okay." He sounded a little too excited to stay put.

"And no peeking." He quickly nodded.

"I won't," he said. I wonder if his mom knows he'd rather listen to me than her. Of course, he thinks I'm some legendary hero. In his head, I've probably saved millions and killed a thousand well armed men with my bare hands. Kids these days. I nodded in his direction and then exited the room, making sure I made a lot of noise.

The last time Alison and I met like this she claimed I 'snuck up on her'. There were a few curse words in there too, but none worth repeating. I half slammed the door behind me. Alison's gaze quickly turned in my direction, her eyes locking on me. She looked a little speechless at first. She shook her head, as if to be sure she was really seeing me.

"Do I want to know how you found me?" Alison asked, sitting on the edge of her coffee table.

"Who is it?" I heard the Mask ask her. He must be lying on the couch, just out of my sight.

"Don't worry." She looked down at him. "She's a...vigilante, I guess. A lot like you, I think. Of course, I guess I don't know much about either of you." She sighed, her attention going to the hem of her shirt where her fingers were fidgeting. Then, she abruptly looked up at him. "Are you even one of the good guys?"

"Yes," he replied, breathing a little heavy.

"Good," I said, walking closer to them. "We need more men like you." I walked around the table and stood behind Alison, his gaze following me as I did.

"You're the one who helped me the other night?"

"Yeah," I replied.

Alison looked up at me. "So, you two have worked together?" she asked. "Is that how you knew he was here?"

"Yes and no. Chase called me."

"He has you're number?!" She stood.

"After what happened last time, and since this is the fourth city you've followed me to, yes, I thought I'd be a good idea if he had a way to reach me."

"Well, thank you for telling, now." She sighed as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "This is too much. I'm supposed to be at work right now, not waiting for some guy to die on my couch. And that would be bad for everyone involved. So, I need a good reason why I can't just dump him at a hospital and be done with this." She pointed at him as she stared at me.

I understand where she's coming from. Even after all she's been through she still tries to hold onto a 'normal' life. One where her boyfriend didn't try to kill her, where she isn't struggling to raise her son even though she works two jobs. But, most importantly, one where she doesn't need saving. I used to think about what I'd be like if I was 'normal', then stopped when it got too depressing.

I diverted my gaze from her's as I blew air out my nose, knowing full well whatever answer I could come up with, wouldn't be good enough. "They kidnapped a boy." Alison and I both whipped our heads in the Mask's direction. He sighed, still trying to catch his breath from whatever happened before I showed.

"Who did?" I asked.

"The Russians. They've been running a human trafficking ring out of Hell's Kitchen."

"I heard they took over when the Italians left," I nodded.

"What does this have to do with it?" Alison asked, more impatient than anything.

"They pulled a kid out of the back of a van." He looked at Alison. I knew she wouldn't comment, but he added: "Beat his father while he watched." She closed her eyes, probably picturing that happening to her and Chase. "I knew the kid would still be alive. At least until they took him out of the city. I tracked the Russians to a warehouse not far from here. Thought I was being smart, how fast I found them."

"But, they were waiting," I said, knowing how this story had ended. He nodded. Alison crossed her arms, looking more uncomfortable by the second.

"So, you've been trying to stop them..." Alison paused, thinking. "And so they decided to stop you? By taking someone's kid?"

"Alison," I said. "Why don't you go see Chase, tell him everything's fine out here, okay?" She looked at me indecisively, then nodded and left the room. I waited until the door closed behind her to start talking again. "They still have the kid?" He nodded. "So, they're probably still looking for you," I thought aloud.

But he didn't seem to be listening...or at least, to me. "You still with us?" He shushed me and then continued listening intently.

"There's a man going door to door," he finally said. "He's on the third floor." I kind of took a step back and shook my head.

"You have super hearing?" It came out more like a statement than a question. He started propping himself up, ignoring me.

"He smells like Prima cigarettes and discount cologne."

"Oh...great," I said sarcastically. "Got any other superpowers?" He sat up, groaning the whole way. Once he was up, he stopped a second and looked at me. "No. I'm not too surprised you can smell a man on the third floor. But if it's you he's after, you need to hide. You're in no condition for a fight." I took a few steps closer, and then came down wrong on my leg. I felt the stitches tear and clenched down any sign of the pain.

"Looks like I'm not the only one," he said. Right, of course. If he can smell that guy, he can smell the blood. Alison and Chase came out of his room. I looked up at them, "Perfect timing."

"What?" Alison asked.

"We need a diversion, which means I need your help." Her expression only slightly changed, but I didn't stop for a reply. I walked around the coffee table and to the Mask. I slid my arm around his back as he put his arm across my shoulders, then pulled him to his feet. He clenched his teeth against the pain as I lead him into another room.

"What are you going to do?" he asked as I laid him on the bed, in what appears to be the guest room.

"Depends. You sure this guy's one of the bad ones?"

"Yeah." He groaned as he lay down. I nodded and walked out of the room, closing the door behind me. I pulled Alison aside, away from Chase, and told her my plan. Of course she thought I was crazy, but went along with it anyway. My plan was for Alison to answer the door. But, instead of getting him to leave, she got him to come inside.

Once he was in, I knocked him out with my bow. Alison quickly realized she had another injured guy on her living room floor and looked like she wanted to hit me. Now she's mad at both halves of me. One brought some bleeding guy to her and the other caused one to bleed. What she doesn't realize is that this is an off night for me too.

"What are you going to do with him?" she asked me.

"Use him." The Mask walked out of the guest room as Chase came out of his.

I looked back at Alison. "Take Chase to work with you, pretend like this never happened."

"Are you sure it's safe?"

"It's better than staying here," the Mask said. "But, she's right. We were never here." Alison nodded, then walked past us to Chase. He'd packed a bag with some things to do, like I told him. "I don't even know if they'll still let me work there. I'm almost an hour late," Alison helped Chase put his jacket on.

"Traffic," I said. "Car trouble. Accident. Just say something credible and you should be fine." She nodded as she draped her arm across Chase's shoulders, guiding him to the door. She picked up her purse before leaving and then led him out the door, closing it behind her. After they left I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I closed my eyes, relieved they were gone, and adjusted my glasses. "He should know where the kid is, and if not, he should at least know someone who does."

The Mask looked up at me, arm wrapped tight around his waist. "Why are you doing this?" he asked. "Why are you helping me?" My grip on my bow tightened as I thought. The real answer would be: 'I saw a man who needed help and helped him.' But I can't say that. If I did, he'd know who I was, that I was Dani Dylan. I learned the hard way, a while ago, that my two halves can never meet; can never be related in any way. I tried that and people got hurt, people I cared about.

While I'm the same person underneath, only one can show at a time. Dani Dylan isn't a hero; she can't save anyone, not even herself. The reason why people got hurt is because she was trying to be, because she was sick of the double life, of lying to her family. So when she failed, 'Angel' returned to clean up the mess she caused. But with her came the lies, again, and the double life, putting on the costume when she should be working a case and stitching bullet holes when she should be babysitting.

Even now, I've let my two sides cross by bringing him here to Alison's house when I should be watching Chase right now. As it is, I have no idea how I'm supposed to explain that one. I was quiet a little too long, but I shifted, trying to make it look like I meant for that to happen.

I sighed and looked up at him. "Because I know you're one of the good ones. Even if I don't approve of some of your methods, you're still a human being who needs help, right now," I said. "I know I'm intruding on your 'territory' but I'm here to help, and whether that's you or Hell's Kitchen doesn't matter; a life is a life, and my plan is to help as many as possible."

Silence occupied the space between us again, for a minute, before he spoke. "We should take him to the roof." He pointed to the man on the floor. I nodded, knowing that was going to be the best place to get answers out of this guy. I looked at the guy on the floor and then back up at the Mask.

I held my bow out to him. "If you carry this, I'll take him," I suggested. He lifted his chin slightly, and then tilted his head to his right. A second later he took the bow from me. I walked over to the man and crouched down next to him, positioning my hands where I'd need them.

"Thank you," he said it from behind me, and almost as if it was a delayed reaction. But part of me knew it wasn't for offering to carrying the unconscious guy. I heaved the guy onto my shoulders and then headed for the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 54 37
Jane Cayce has had a lot on her mind recently, which is hard because she has to have everyone else's thoughts on her mind too. After helping to bring...
11.4K 525 45
Six months after stopping Wilson Fisk, new players come to town and the gang is forced to pick a side. Dani and Alison find themselves on a treachero...
458 14 24
Darth Vader puts Daredevil in his place and drives out the Spectre's from Hell's Kitchen/Lothal. One year after the imprisonment of Wilson Fisk AKA K...
2.7K 45 15
After half of the universe was restored, people started trying to go back to their normal lives. For Hell's Kitchen, New York and Harlem, they still...