Sometimes You Need To Let Dow...

By KianaFitzpatrick

When Willow Fair turned sixteen her life changed forever. After moving to another town, she does the unthinka... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue and Author's Note
Extra Bonus Chapter
Story Updates

Chapter 1

119 4 0
By KianaFitzpatrick

       "Willow, lets go," mother called. I jumped up from the window seat where I had been casually reading for the last few minutes. I looked around my empty room with a hint of sadness. Within the fifteen years I have been alive, I had moved  ten times. This makes number eleven. Names and faces flashed through my mind as I remembered all of my almost friends from the places I had lived. I didn't really have many friends. I was home-schooled, so it wasn't like I a lot of opportunities to meet different people my age. Then when I did start to find a friend, it seemed like it was time to move again. 

       This time was no different. I had a friend here. Sometimes when mother came home from work she would make plans to hang out with a co-worker, and I met their kids. My friend's name was Alice, and I briefly wondered if mom would let me go tell her goodbye. Outside, the car horn honked, and I shook my head. I wouldn't be saying goodbye to anyone. It was alright I guess,  it's not like we were were best friends or anything. 

       I looked over my room one more time to make sure none of my precious books were left lying around, but course they weren't. I was super organized, and made sure that all of my belongings were neatly packed and loaded into the moving truck this morning. However, I couldn't help but look around one last time. I sighed to myself and put a brave smile on my face as I walked downstairs and out of the beautiful house I would leave behind. 

       When I got into the car my mother asked if I was excited. I rolled my eyes in a non-committal way and shrugged my shoulders. Mother raised one perfectly manicured eyebrow and I laughed. "Well I guess, I am a little excited," I said. Moving to a new place was always exciting. I wondered what the next house would look like. Mother wouldn't tell me anything about it for once. She claimed it was a surprise. 

       "Will the drive be very long," I asked in my singsong voice.

       She chuckled softly, and replied "they always are." With that I nodded my head, buckled my seat-belt and buried my face in my novel that I had brought with me. The ride was long as expected, and I ended up finishing my book. As I sat in the backseat, I briefly wondered why I hadn't brought another book with me. I was always a pretty fast reader after all. 

       Mom didn't play the radio, so I was bound to bored out of my mind for however long it would take to reach our destination. To pass the time I decided to look out of the window and re-braid my hair. Sometimes it was a nuisance to keep it up all of the time, but I did it anyways. It was so long that I refused to even imagine how much more of a nuisance it would be if I let it down. My hair went down past my knees, so I couldn't just leave it be. 

       After watching the scenery go by for awhile I started to daydream. None of it was important, but it passed the time. I made up a story about a heroine that ended up leaving home and going on an adventure. Like all adventurous fantasy books, something big ended up happening and everything was fine in the end. I looked down at the novel I had brought with me. On the cover was a silent ranger ready to shoot an arrow at an unknown foe. I looked longingly at the book.

       Staying at home reading books an learning how to do things was nice, but I wanted more. I needed something else! Staying cooped up all the time is no way to live a life, but that was the life I lived. Mother was overprotective, but I know it's just because she loved me. Once when I was a little girl I was almost taken from her. A black car pulled up in the park and someone pulled me inside. I don't remember anything other than snip-its that I dream about. 

       I guess I understand her worry, but it's not fair! I looked up at the front seat, and silently sighed to myself. I let my frustration dissipate. I lived a life behind brick walls, closed curtains, and locked doors. It was ok though. I might not be as adventurous as I want, but why should I be? The world is full of scary people, and mother is only protecting me from it. 

       The car slowed to a stop and I shook away my unpleasant thoughts. Mother's voice informed me that we were finally here at our new house. A smile lit up my face and I bolted out of the car. I was surprised at what I saw. Our new two-story house sat between two others. It looked old and tired of being so close to it's neighbors. A wire fence lined the property and tall grass grew everywhere, barley contained to the front yard. A wrap-around porch adorned the house, and I thought that the porch-swing would make a lovely space to spend an afternoon reading. 

       I took a quick look around me and my eyes filled with delight when I saw how big our new neighborhood was. I was bound to meet someone my age here. Mother told me that the moving truck would be here shortly, and that I could go pick out my room. I unlatched the gate, and walked up the narrow pathway through the weeds to my house. Mom had thrown me the keys, so I unlocked the door and left them there. She'd be coming in later, and it wasn't like people were going to come in here. 

       I looked around for a light switch, and turned one on triumphantly when I found it. At first the house seemed pretty, but now I was getting second thoughts. The entrance-way was drafty and the stairs in front of me looked dusty. The stairs were cool though. They twisted up to the second floor where there was railing. I thought taking prom pictures right there would look nice. Too bad I'd never go.

       Other than the staircase there was a doorway that led into the living room, and one that led to what I assumed was a dining room. The owners before us had left a lot of furniture behind, and I noticed a lumpy couch in the front room. I was hoping mother would get rid of it. Anyway, I decided to look around upstairs first. After all, that was where my room would surely be. Coming in, I had noticed that the old house had a little tower on the back, and I hoped I could find the room that was a part of it. 

       I loved towers, mostly because in the books I read people climb towers. I like to imagine that I would climb some old tower to find golden treasure at the top sometimes when I felt the need to daydream. I walked up the dusty stairs and ran my hand along the railing. At the top I let go and looked at my hand, it was adorned with cobwebs. Gross. I wiped my hand off on my jeans and hoped it'd be fine. Then I walked around. There was a little open area, then a hallway with a few wooden doors. After opening a few I found that one was a closet, one was a random room, and the other had rickety looking stairs that led to darkness. 

       Curiosity sparked inside of me and I braved going into the room. Even though it was summer, and really hot outside, the room held a chill. At the top of the stairs I found a light-switch that I quickly turned on. I wasn't afraid of the dark, but I didn't exactly like it. The light flashed on and my eyes had to adjust to the sudden brightness. When they were alright I looked at my surroundings. This place was amazing.

       There was a big window that looked out across the back yard. It had stained white curtains and was super dusty, but I could fix it up. Beside the window were two bookshelves that were as tall as I was! I was ecstatic; there were even a few interesting books left behind. I noticed that the room seemed spherical where the window was, and saw that it would look like a horse shoe from above with the bookshelves. I chuckled softly, then realized that the curved window must mean that this was a part of the neat tower. 

       I ran to the window and looked out just to make sure. After becoming fairly certain that it was I looked around the rest of the room. The staircase came up into the room and at the top there was a metal railing surrounding it. It sat against the back wall though, so I didn't think it's be in my way. On one side there was a closet and  a dresser. 

       I looked it over, and thought about what I where I would put my stuff. The bed would go on the right wall, opposite to the closet and dresser. Then I decided that my desk would lean against the back wall on the side of the rails that was closest to the bed. I would also need different curtains. I made a list in my head about where things would go, and what I would do. Then I walked out to tell mother I had chosen my room.

                                                               -    -      -    -     -    -   -     -     -    -     -    -    -   - 

       By the end of the day everything was in its place, and I had managed to clean up all of the dust, spider-webs, and dirt that was in my bedroom. I got rid of the dresser that was already there and replaced it with my own.. Then I had washed off the bookshelves and put my up my pink curtains. It was exhausting, but I didn't care. This place might be old and dusty, but it felt right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112 9 9
//this thing was written like two years ago okay it's pretty old even if it was only posted here in the last few months, but read it if you want idfk...
42 0 13
Willow has always wondered what hid behind those trees on the edge of town. Did it have something to do with her missing mother? Taking the brave ste...
2.1K 36 6
Beautiful Princess (Y/n) has been locked away in a tower since she was captured as a baby by an old hag. Her magical long blonde hair has the power t...
Braided By Megan

Teen Fiction

2.6K 148 30
"Let's go to the park then." He was a bit more excited when I agreed. I paused, I wasn't supposed to go past the porch. Even if I am starting to br...