Regret The Rejection |✔️

By chrisbardot

NEW EDITION. REVISION IN PROGRESS *amateur writing. Not everyone's cup of tea.* "She turned her pain into pow... More

S Y N O P S I S
00| Werewolf World
01| The calm before the storm✔️
02| Rogue Attack✔️
03| Demoted and powerless✔️
04| Strong survivor✔️
05| Unwanted and rejected ✔️
06| Over and out ✔️
07| Ruin and regret ✔️
08| Daddy issues ✔️
09| Runaway wolf ✔️
10| Tears and reunions ✔️
11| A token of recognition ✔️
12| Nightmare and daydreams ✔️
13| Planning and plotting ✔️
14| Childish Pranks ✔️
15| Tit-for-tat ✔️
16| Present vs Past ✔️
17| Nemesis ✔️
18| Suspicions ✔️
19| Quibble and Quarrel ✔️
20| Confrontations and Confessions ✔️
21| Mourn ✔️
22| Receptions and Rethoughts ✔️
23| Secrets and Spies ✔️
24| Plans, plots and plot twists ✔️
25| Training ✔️
26| Changes and Challenges ✔️
27| Darkness and Danger ✔️
28| Risks
29| Warning
30| Foes
A/N
32| Foreshadow
F A Q s
PLAYLIST + SEQUEL (complete)
More Stories By Christine

31| Battles

117K 3.8K 497
By chrisbardot

LISTEN TO 'TRY EVERYTHING' BY SHAKIRA WHILE YOU READ THE CHAPTER. OMFGOMFG IT FITS SO PERFECTLY. ♥

***

I looked my demons in the eye,
laid bare my chest and said,

"Do your best, destroy me,
You see, I've been to hell and back
many times,
I admit you kinda 'bore me'."

***

I was standing in the open field waiting for Jared's next set of instructions.

Ashton had barely uttered two syllabus to me aloud since morning, but through the mind-link his words rang clear:

"Ki, you were born to lead. Born to take the world by a storm. You'll always find doubters and non-believers in this world, but remember as long as you have breath in your lungs and will in your heart, you still possess the strength to prove them wrong."

I could feel the drops of sweat trickling down my neck and my back and I brushed it away impatiently.

Nervousness. Anxiety. All the emotions were in a swirl.

I bit my lip as I scanned the crowd. They were seated around Jared, Ashton and me, eyeing me with interest. People were gossiping, chatting and many were guessing what the next challenge would be.

Jared and Ashton were having an intense talk, and I wasn't meant to be eavesdropping. So instead, my eyes landed on Claire and Dylan stood a few yards away with a sombre look on their faces.

When I met Dylan's gaze, he attempted a small smile, one I returned easily. However, Claire looked at me stoically. It was like, she didn't want to be here, but had no say in the matter. I shook off the queasy feeling and looked away from them when Ashton finally turned to the excited crowd.

The voices dimmed as soon as he began to speak.

"My dear family and friends, today you are called to witness the second and Final Challenge. The first challenge, two days ago, proved that Kiara Evergreen is capable of handling a situation well in a crisis. Even in her human form, she succeeded finding the clue, fighting and making her way out."

I wrung my hands nervously, though it eased a bit when he praised me so highly. However, it was the second challenge I was now worried about.

"The second challenge is a race." He stated, "A race between three people and it will be four rounds about the pack perimeter. The challenge is simple, the one who comes first, wins. There is just one condition though, the race will be in wolf form and Kiara is a White Wolf, the others will get a head start by ten seconds. If she wins in spite of this, it is proved she is worthy to be Luna."

The breath I had been holding for so long, escaped me and I raked my hand through my long hair trying to calm my nerves.

The crowd had begun murmuring again, while Jared was checking the track. Warriors had been posted at a distance and the start and finish lines were being marked. People were gathering on either side of the track, interested and intrigued about the race.

"You ready for this?" I asked Zara. It had been just two days since the first challenge and I was worried about her. After all, if my Wolf was weak, I was too.

"I am, Kiara." She reassured me, "It'll be a bit tough, but I'll do my best."

I nodded a bit and turned towards Ashton who was now striding towards me with a serious look marring his features. His eyes softened when he noticed my tense face.

"Nervous?"

"Y..You wish." I said, jutting my chin out. However, my voice came out as a squeak, ruining the effect.

His lips twitched in amusement, "Don't deny it, Ki. But just don't let your fear dampen your spirit." His hands held mine comfortingly as I he stepped closer to me. My hands wound around his, feeling the warmth that radiated from him.

"I won't let you down," I said, giving him a small smile.

"I know, you won't. My Kiara's a fighter."

My lips curved into a teasing smile and nervousness faded for a moment, "My Kiara, Ash?"

His cheeks tinged a shade of red as he leaned forward to plant a lingering kiss on my forehead.

Heat shot up within me and I turned the same shade as him, "But I like it," I admitted softly.

He withdrew slowly, but brown eyes kept me rooted. "I like it too." His face held concern for me and yet he was confident about me too. It was a mixture of both.

My smile lasted until my gaze fell on Claire. She was watching me or rather scrutinizing the distance between us.

"Is Claire the person, I'll be competing against?" I asked him, hesitantly.

His lips pressed into a grim line, "Yes. But I've chosen Dylan too. They're the best in our pack. They've been training for this since quite sometime." He must have seen the worry in my eyes, because he added hastily, "But don't let that intimidate you. You are nothing less."

I shot him a small smile as he squeezed my hand. It sent a wave of flutters in my stomach but I tried to keep the giddy smile from showing. "Thanks Ash." I told him sincerely.

It was not just gratitude for his support now, it was for everything he had done. Everything, none of which, I'll ever be able to repay.

"Anything for you," was all he said.

And those three words were all I wanted to hear.

* * *

Dylan, Claire and I readied ourselves as the countdown began. We were already in our wolf forms and were crouched for take off.

Zara seemed nervous yet determined. My limbs shook a little, but I steadied myself with an effort.

Next to me, Claire's brown wolf was focused on the track. She wasn't paying attention to anybody or anything. For a moment, I could almost hear what was running in her head, "Do or die."
The determination on her face was obvious.

And honestly, that looked intimidating.

On the other side, Dylan was readying himself. I saw him send Bella, his mate a reassuring smile. Nora was next to her mother, cheering for us. "Go Daddy go! Go Kiara go!" A soft smile made its way to our faces as we watched her excitement.

Then he glanced in my direction. "We'll do our best." He said through the mindlink.

I shot him a determined look. "We will."

Three. . .

Our paws dug into the ground and our eyes zeroed on the track.

Two. . .

I let out a deep breath, calming my erratic heartbeat.

You can do this. I chanted over and over again while my eyes never left the track. Nothing's impossible.

One. . .

Claire and Dylan took off at lightning speed, leaving a trail of dust behind them. I watched in awe as they raced neck to neck against each other. Within seconds they had crossed a considerable distance.

Damn. These guys were good.

A second shot sounded to know my time had started and I kicked into action. My legs shot up with the excitement and I pushed my body forward eager to face the challenge. The wind ruffled my fur as Zara glided through it. Trees zoomed past us and the dotted figures of Claire and Dylan were growing.

We raced like there was no tomorrow. There was no stopping us as we challenged the wind. The thrill of the speed was like a wave of current, urging me to forget everything and enjoy the moment.

It was just me. Me against the wind. Me against time. It was once again like the moment when I succeeded in sneaking out of the pack house for a midnight run. Only one thing mattered then - speed.

That was one thing that Zara and I had in common. We were opposite to each other most of the time. She was the more mature voice while I tended to be childish. She was hot tempered while I thought rationally.

But when it came to speed, we were one.

Their figures were growing against every step I took. I was nearing them and probably they sensed it too. Claire's speed accelerated with the effort she put in as she tried her best to leave us behind.

Zara's mind was set on the goal. There was no looking left, no looking right. Only the finish line mattered.

We had completed the first round when I realized I was now running neck to neck with Dylan. Claire was still a good way ahead of us with the ten second headstart she got. Her wolf was relentless and she showed no signs of fatigue.

I pushed my legs faster trying to catch up with her. The distance between us was gradually decreasing. My eyes narrowed to slits as the wind pierced me. My eyes watered a little, but my mind was set on the goal.

Dylan was a few feet away from me, his breath seemed a bit louder than mine but like me his eyes wore a determined look.

Two rounds done. One more go.

The distance between us decreased further and I was now just an arm's length away. My breath was shallow and with my sharp ears I picked up Claire's gasps too.

But neither of us slowed down.

Images flashed through me. Old memories with Arie and my previous pack.

We were at the fighting scene again. Her shriek fell on my ears and I spun around to see her being attacked.

Without a moment's hesitation I rushed towards her.

He was taking her away and I had to stop him. My heels dug into the ground as I raced towards her.

"Kiara!" She screamed and the blood oozing from her made my stomach churn, "Help me!"

My vision darkened and I was lying helpless, clutching my head because of the searing pain. I watched helplessly while they dragged her away.

My twin was being taken away from me, and I couldn't lift a finger to help her.

"He died trying to save you!" Alpha Jason shouted at me, while I cowered in the corner, "I lost my Beta and friend because of you."

My vision blurred again as the voices began to haunt me.

"You deserve every shit thrown at to you!" Nicole barked while her minions cackled behind her like maniacs.

A flash of darkness, yet again.

"Clearly, you don't deserve any sympathy. You are the same pathetic weakling who watched your sister being dragged away." Aden glared at me.

Hatred.

Taunts.

"You're a waste of space!"

"You can achieve nothing in life!"

"You are good for nothing!"

"Everyone hates you!"

"You are a coward who let's others fight your battles."

"I deserve much better than you. You aren't good enough for me."

"I, Aden Carter, reject you, Kiara Evergreen as my mate."

"Scum!"

"Slut!"

"Whore!"

"Coward!"

"I am not!" I yelled as tears streamed down my eyes, "I'm nothing as they say!"

My legs were still moving, but my mind was elsewhere. With a jolt, I realized I was still in the middle of the race.

Dylan and Claire were ahead of me. They were nearing the finish line while I had involuntarily slowed down as my head was wrapped up in the past.

"Let go!" Zara pleaded. "Win this and prove them wrong! Fight your demons, Ki! Don't shed tears for them!"

But I wasn't listening to her.

Once again the insults were catching up with me. I was spiralling down yet again. I was breaking. My past was breaking me, yet again.

"Let me take control!" Zara begged me. "For heaven's sake, don't remember them now. Let me control the situation."

With a nod, I let go. I had no choice. People had once again begun staring at me. I could hear mutterings, whisperings, curious burning gazes on me.

"I like you, Kiara. I like you very much."

"I know you won't let me down."

"My Kiara is a fighter."

"I don't give a damn whether you win or lose. I know you'll make a perfect Luna."

"I'm proud of you."

"You proved them wrong. You freaking proved them wrong!"

With a deep breath, I let the new memories take over. And like Zara said, I let go.

The past doesn't deserve my tears. The present owes me happiness.

"We can do this, Zara." I whispered and she gave me a fleeting smile as I slipped into oblivion, knowing fully well, I was safe in her hands.

Z A R A

I felt the power surge into me as Kiara let go. The girl was fragile. Her eyes were determined, yet her heart was scared. And the scare was pushing her back.

Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I raced on. Dylan's wolf, Darren and Claire's wolf, Elaine were a few feet ahead of me.

The finish line was within my range of vision and once again I let the feeling of burning determination run through me.

Darren was nothing against me.

Elaine was nothing against me.

They hadn't been through what I had. They didn't know the thirst I had to show the world the courageous me. The only thing that would quench my thirst would be victory.

Kiara and I were one. I knew what we've been through. And it was time to shove the bitterness of the past away and create new memories.

I closed the distance between us with ease. It was a child's play now. Everything depended on our mindset. If we let the negativity get to us, we are ruined. But as long as the flame of hope burned in us, facing your demons is easy.

And then with the last ounce of strength I possessed, I crashed into the finish line. There was a hush as people stared at me. No one moved. They were busy ogling at me.

I don't think they expected me to win. Jared didn't think I would actually make him eat his words. But I don't blame him. In his eyes, I was just an unstable runaway.

I closed my eyes and let out a breath.

But it was done.

I had achieved the impossible. But most importantly, I had conquered my demons.

* * *

A/N : So that's the end of this book.

I'll be posting the last chapter in a few days followed by a sneak peak into the next one.

Till then, have fun and keep guessing.

The next book is going to have a lot more drama. It is a CONTINUATION of this book, remember it's not a stand-alone type of novel. Please don't get confused. There's a huge time gap between the two which made me split the story into two parts to give it justice. But I think you'll love it.

Lots of love, Christine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80 3 18
Tired of all her sufferings, she's a girl who escaped her pack to start over and hopefully find her mate. will she be able to do it? ...
5.8K 326 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
1.9M 43.9K 53
"Your no mate of mine! You're weak and not worthy of being the Luna." He shouts, but I didn't filinch once. "I, Alex, future Alpha of the DragonFire...
326 14 35
Two baby girls are rescued, smuggled away in the middle of the night and are thrown into a world without their parents to guide them, the one good th...