The Devils Backbone

Skipology द्वारा

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... अधिक

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

Ominous

4K 222 59
Skipology द्वारा

Morning came and Chyna made sure she was out of the house before dawn. She was back to picking int he gardens before daylight. On sunrise came Ellison with Cotton behind him. "headed to work Monsieur?"Chyna asked trying her best to make things normal. Whilst Cotton grinned ear to ear, his eyes shifting between his Daddy and Chyna. "yes, was gonna leave Cotton hear with you again," He said with a smile. Chyna stood up and dusted her hands off on her apron before wiping sweat from her brow with t he back of her hand. "right, will be glad to have ya with me again Cotton" Chyna said with a warm smile. Cotton nodded and went to her side.

Ellison gazed at Chyna softly and reached out to touch her face, but Chyna recoiled back at bit, so as his fingers just barely brushed her skin. Ellison smiled and drew his hand back. "well, don't head off up into the woods along you here? Take William with you, I've no doubt that Levicy will be sendin' him your way to get some peace soon" He said with a laugh. Chyna nodded "right" she said and watched as he headed on up the road.

Chyna glances back at the crops and then in spite of herself glanced back up the road, She gasped in a start as Ellison had looked back and waved as he headed to his stables. Chyna exhaled and shook her head "no don't do it, Chyna ain't nothing 'bout it right, not nothin'" She thought to herself.

Out of the corner of her eye she could see Cotton with a smile so big it nearly split his face in half. Chyna raised a brow "ah....Cotton?" she asked slowly "you feel alright?" Cotton grinned larger and Chyna's eyes grew wide. "I suppose that's a yes then?" She asked Cotton giggled and nodded causing Chyna to shake her head and reached into a pocket in her apron "well that's good, come on Cot, I've gotta go harvest some of the Cornstalks" She said leading him away.

Chyna cut down some of the Corn that had ripened earlier than the rest. She would cut them and Cotton would put it in a pile. Chyna was almost amazed at how much Cotton was enjoying the work. She enjoyed because it reminded her of her mother, and the time they had spent together. Hard times or not, nothing can replace laughter and talks shared between a mother and child. Chyna handed Cotton another stalk and he took it from her while whistling a tune "be careful Cotton some of these are heavy" Chyna warned. Cotton shook his head "aw no they're not Chyna" He said as he took it from her and lay it gently in the pile. Chyna giggled, he looked so proud of himself, maybe that's why he looked to be having so much fun. It was giving him a purpose to help out with all this work. And No one would say anything to him. He could whistle and no one would tell him to shut up. He could decide to sit down and rest for a moment and no one would tell him he was in the way. No one was around to call him a mush-head.

Soon down the hill came a familiar face, bandage still over his eye. "Hi! William!" Cotton called out. William rolled his eyes and flinched a little bit at the movement. "damn it" He muttered placing his hand over his covered eye. "still hurt huh? Hello Master William" Chyna said hardly looking up from her work. "only a bit, hi." William said going over to the stalk pile Cotton was building. "Can I help? I'm bored outta my mind, Pa won't let me back to Logging just yet" William said. He was finding it easier and easier to talk with Chyna now.

"Your Pa, has his reasons, you might have scared him silly," Chyna said. Handing Cotton another stalk. "maybe, hey let me cut for a while" William said. Chyna laughed "oh no Sir, this is my job" she said. "you can do what Cotton's doin' an he can take a break" William reasoned "nuhuh I was hear first you can watch" Cotton said Chyna chuckled "come on Cot" William pushed Cotton shook his head "no" He said Chyna laughed and Held out a Cornstalk "well can one of you take this 'un?" She asked Cotton and William glanced at each other and both reached but Cotton got it first. William crossed his arms and huffed "fine Cot" he said. Chyna smiled as she watched William sulk. "well we're almost done here. You can help more with the next task alright?" Chyna offered. William looked off to the side. "alright"

Chyna finished with the corn and lead the boys to what livestock Ellison owned. Which was three horses, two coops of chickens, a single cow, and a few pigs. Cotton fed the chickens and Chyna sat down to Milk the cow. "William? Would you mind slopping the pigs? I have it already in that bucket over there, I would greatly appreciate it" Chyna asked but she asked timidly, she knew in reality she shouldn't have asked at all. But he had stated that he wanted to help. William nodded and went to do the task. It didn't take him long and he was back hovering looking for something to do as soon as he was finished. "why don't you go into town William, it's pretty dull here" Chyna said never taking her eyes away from her work with the cow. "it ain't no fun going alone, not the tavern or no wheres else. Skunky is out up in the Timber with Pa and everyone else, even Johnse" He said. Chyna sighed, finished up and grabbed the jug of Milk. "I see, well then after this I'm doing laundry. I can save your Ma some time and do yours if you'll go home and retrieve it" Chyna said. William nodded and headed home up the hill. It was a long way to walk. But it was better than having nothing to do all day.

Chyna and Cotton carried piles of clothes in weaved baskets, in front of a bucket and soapy water. Chyna placed the washing board in the bucket and started to wash the clothes. William came over the hill after some time carrying a basket. Chyna took it from him and got to work. William kept eyeballing Chyna as she worked. He wanted to ask her, but he was almost afraid to do it.

"You have something on your mind William?" she asked him finally tired of his glances they were making her nervous. "um well, uh H-hows your feet?" He asked finally. Chyna stopped scrubbing and looked up at William, she was shocked for a moment but then smiled softly "they're fine, the burns looked worse than they really are" She said turning back to washing. William exhaled, it felt good knowing she was good. He got that out of his mind finally.

"you gone bring Uncle Ellison lunch again today?" William asked cautiously. Chyna nodded "yes, saves him time from coming all the way back here," She said. "nuhuh Daddy said not to have you go alone" Cotton said wagging his finger. Chyna gave a small smile. "I can take ya up" William offered, the words seemed like they came out of his mouth surprisingly fast. Chyna eyed him "you sure?" she asked. He had looked pretty shaken up after having to deal with those men the other day. "yeah" He said. Chyna it best not to help him change his mind. "thank you master William" she said. "we will head up after this" she added.

Lunch rolled around quickly, Chyna fed Cotton and William first and pack up a basket while they ate. "you gonna eat too Chyna?" Cotton asked Chyna kept packing the basket "yes once I get this up there" She said. "nuhuh you'll just work again...don't you ever eat? I never see you" He asked. Chyna and William laughed. "Cot, everyone eats, even niggers" He said. Chyna flinched wasn't often He used that in reference to her. But then again ever since Ellison had stop using it so much, she had gotten a little to used to it. Chyna shook her head and recovered quickly. "yes, Cot I do eat, just not while everyone's lookin' I like my peace you know" She said. Cotton frowned "but you starting working before breakfast" he said.

William sighed and broke off a piece of his buttered bread and held it out "Here just eat some of this it'll keep 'em quiet for a while" He said. Chyna reached out to take the bread with hesitation, William felt how out of place it felt too and his cheeks tinted a little bit. Chyna bit a piece of the bread and Cotton seemed satisfied.

Not long after eating William rode Chyna up the hills to the timber lands. Cotton riding behind them.

"Jesus, boy get that nigger from around you!" Jim called out eyeing Chyna's hands which were wrapped around William's waist. "if she do she'll fall off Uncle Jim" He called out in response casually. Chyna glanced back at Jim and removed her arms from around William. Holding herself in place with her legs. Jim Vance nodded at her.

"Uncle Ellison!" William called as they neared Ellison and Elias who were sawing at a large Tree. Ellison looked up and Chyna peek from around William and waved and showing the basket hanging on her arm.

"Hi Daddy!" Cotton called at they brought their horses to a halt. William helped Chyna dismount. She couldn't figure out why he was being extra kind to her lately. William watched her hands in his hands. He'd never felt so pale in his life. Chyna quickly pulled her hands away and scurried over to Ellison. She bowed her head a bit and raised the basket out to him. Ellison gave a short laugh. "you ain't gotta be so formal" he said. Chyna glanced at Elias. He might have been his brother but still. She couldn't act out of place here.

"there's neck bones in there and rolls and cheese and some apples" Chyna reported. Still keeping her head low. Ellison rummaged through the bag. And pulled out a large red apple, he whistled "have a go at this one, isn't it pretty?" He asked Elias. Elias took it polished it against his shirt and then took a bit.

"best tasting apple I've ever had." He said. "what tree you get this from?" Ellison asked taking it away from Elias and biting out of it as well. Chyna smiled and raised her head a bit "the one on your farm," she said. "they don't taste or look like this" He said. "Chyna got it from the top" Cotton said reaching into his satchel he pulled out a similar looking apple. "see we have lots more at home" he said.

"you climb trees?" Elias laughed speaking to Chyna, she nodded stiffly. "well ain't you a true monkey!" He laughed. Chyna couldn't tell if this was an insult or a compliment. And turned to look at Ellison who smiled faintly at his brother. It was clear he wasn't sure either. Chyna decided to take it as a compliment. She bowed in thanks "I've been climbing trees since I was just a girl, Sir." She said. Ellison smiled at her and sat down on a wagon. "come sit a spell with me" he said. Cotton and Chyna went to him. "just give me a hollar when you wanna head back" William said before going off to find Tom Skunk Hair.

Cotton sat at his father's side as he went through the food basket. Chyna sat on the ground before them. Hands in her lap she fiddled with them. "not down there Chyna" Ellison said amused. He laid his hand down next to him on the wagon. "here" he said. Chyna eyed his hand before leaning forward and whispering "you crazy? You'll get me killed" Ellison smiled "come on, it's fine" He said. Chyna sighed and got up slowly and sat next to him. Her eyes darted around nervously. "good girl" Ellison aid patting his leg before going to eat his lunch.

Chyna looked up to see Jim Vance watching them and a cold sweat broke down her back. She cowered closer to Ellison without meaning to. And Jim's eyes narrowed even more.

"I-I think I should head on back to the farm now" Chyna said cautiously. Ellison followed her gaze, and Jim looked away as he did so. "you're ok" Ellison said in a serious tone. "uncle Jim ain't no threat" He said quickly kissing the top of Chyna's head. Chyna nearly yelped but her body froze and she looked around frantically. Did anyone see? She looked around some more. No one saw.

She looked up at Ellison who winked at her. She leered at him and he rested a hand on her head "don't get your drawers in a bundle" Ellison laughed. Chyna looked around him to see Cotton grinning wide yet again. Chyna glanced off to the side and out of the corner of her eye noticed William watching them from the distance.

Ellison had finished his lunch and handed Chyna the basket back. "thank you" He said with serious eyes. Chyna avoided his gaze and took the basket back. "welcome," she said. Ellison laughed inwardly and patted her head. "come on Cot" Chyna said as he went to her side. "Bye Daddy!" Cotton called out. "bye Cotton" Ellison said with a smile. He smirked as Chyna went to leave without a glance back. "Chyna" Ellison said in a sing a long kinda way. Chyna paused in her step "see you latter" He said. Chyna raised her head and glanced back nervously and nodded before walking on ahead. "Master William!" she called out waving. William said bye to Tom Skunk Hair and jogged over to Chyna and Cotton.

"here" William said stopping Chyna as she went to mount his horse "huh?" she asked. William grabbed her waist "let me help ya up" he offered. "wait, wait, William!" Chyna warned in a hushed hiss. It was too late, He hoisted her up into the air and onto the horse. Chyna looked around, Jim Vance and Johnse watched appalled. Ellison gave a large sigh and crossed his arms.

William caught what he did and tried not to let it show, but he could feel everyone's glances as well. He tried to brush it off and mounted his horse steering it down the hill and up the road Cotton following behind him.

Just up the road, Floyd was totting in a wagon two very large pigs. He was moving fast, as if troubled by something or spooked. Chyna turned to look back at the pig. Her eyes lingering on it. She had seen that knotching before. Turning back around she bit her lip and looked off to the side. "you ok Chyna?" Cotton asked. Chyna looked up at him and smiled faintly. "y-yeah" she said looking back one more time "just fine" her voice trailed off.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

1.8M 59.7K 74
Beth white doesn't get treated fairly in her pack house, yes she's were wolf but when she turns 17 and gets the chance to find her mate and actually...
13K 187 8
Dominique - A hurricane tore this sweet southern girl from her family. She moved to California to escape the memories and forget the pain. It worked...
1.1K 2 28
I didn't like the other one because I personally thought it was a bit rushed. Even so, I hope you enjoy. Now, time to wing a introduction of this sto...
415K 10.5K 41
***Interracial Romance*** ***Sexual Content*** Maxx, a middle class good girl who never dares step into trouble and Daniel, a rich bad boy that has...