Behind My Sister's Back

By Squiggle

When Summer's marriage ends in disaster, her sister, Ali, is there to pick up the pieces. What Summer didn't... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Summer's Return
Chapter 2: The New Head Chef
Chapter 3: Unfortunate Accidents
Chapter 4: Confonting Summer
Chapter 5: The Fight
Chapter 6: Fired
Chapter 7: Surprise!
Chapter 8 [part 1]: New Jobs
Chapter 8 [part 2]: Nice Guy
Chapter 9: Sneaky
Chapter 10: The Truth
Chapter 11: Goodbye
Chapter 12: Gina's News
Chapter 13: First Day Back
Chapter 14: Friends?
Chapter 15: Birthday
Chapter 16: Party
Chapter 17: ...Awkward (pic of ali)
Chapter 18: Feelings
Chapter 19: Date
Chapter 21: Ian
Chapter 22: Jerk
Chapter 23: Unexpected
Chapter 24: Telling Dennis
Chapter 25: Letting Go
Chapter 26: Gina's Finest Ice-Cream
Chapter 27: Jealousy
Chapter 28: Victory
Chapter 29: Just Us
Chapter 30: Lies
Chapter 31: Lisa
Chapter 32: A Close Shave
Chapter 33: A Night To Remember
Chapter 34: Hospital
Chapter 35 [part 1]: Turning Point
Chapter 35 [part 2]: Visits
Chapter 36: The End

Chapter 20: The Past

9.5K 172 17
By Squiggle

-- Ali's POV --                 

              I was sitting cross-legged on the carpet floor, staring at some photo albums that I had found at the very bottom of my bed. The photos had everything - from when Summer and me were children, to when I was an adult and dating Ian. It was hard to look at his face, even now. 

              The clock ticked. It was seven o'clock and I was alone in the apartment. Gina had gone out for a date, and probably wouldn't be back for at least a couple of hours. The TV was off and the only sounds came from the clock and my breathing.

              There were no pictures of Dennis in any photo album, since I had barely knew him. There were plenty of pictures of Summer though. She and I weren't exactly best friends when we were growing up - in fact, we were quite nasty to each other sometimes - but we had our good days. 

              It felt odd to sit in the living room in silence and look at old pictures. I guess I missed her, and Ian too. 

              When I reached the last photo, a smile cracked onto my face. It was taken two years ago, only weeks before I found out about Summer and Ian, and when we had a huge fight. We were in the snow, with our poor excuse for a snowman next to us. 

              Her name was Sali - pronounced Sally. Her name was a combination of Summer and Ali, and she stood there for quite a few days until the warm sun had melted her. We were actually quite proud of Sali because she was our first ever snowman, or snowwoman I should say.

              That day was probably one of the last times we had got on with each other. I still couldn't imagine how she had lied to me. I'm in the exact same position and I can't get rid of that nagging voice in the back of my mind, reminding me what a terrible sister I'm being. But there she was, looking as cheerful as ever. Not a trace of guilt in those sparkling sky-blue eyes.

              It was now becoming clear how alike me and my sister were. 

              When we were children, all I had ever wanted was to be like my sister. She was everything I was not: smart, beautiful and popular. Although they would never admit it, I knew my parents always preferred her over me. Nobody really bothered about me. When relatives came around to visit, it was always Summer they would ask for. At Christmas, it was always Summer who got the better presents. At school, it was always Summer who had all the friends.

              Never once was it me.

              Even when adults, when I thought everything was going right for me, she still had to have to upper hand. She slept with Ian, the potential love of my life. He was never the same after that. He was still loving, but there was something off about him and it was only when I found out the truth, I realised what it was. Guilt.

              I could still remember that horrible day when I found out, like it was only yesterday.

**

~2 Years Ago~

              "Ian?" I called as I shut the door, tossing the keys onto the table and shrugging off my jacket. It was still as cold as ever outside, but the snow had finally stopped. When Ian did not reply, I was confused. Was he not here yet? But that was impossible, today was his day off. He always spent Saturdays on the couch, being as lazy as possible.

              "Ian?" I tried again, peeking my head through the living room door, but it was empty. Then I tried the kitchen, and there he was.

              My boyfriend was sat by the dining-table with fresh tears on his cheeks. Immediately, I felt uneasiness wash over me as I stepped towards him and kneeled down next to him, eyes wide in shock.

              It took me a few moments to speak. "Ian, honey, why are you crying? What's happened?" I asked, concern thick in my voice. He just shook his head, briefly closing his piercing green eyes.

              If you've ever experienced a loved one break down into tears with your very own eyes, you would know how I felt then. I felt like crying myself, but I knew I shouldn't because it was unreasonable and stupid. Why cry when you don't know what you're crying about?

              I shook his shoulders as if to try and shake some sense into him. It didn't work and he seemed unfazed by this. Biting my lip, I stood up and grabbed a tissue from the tissue box next to the sink. I held it out to him but he didn't move.

              So I dragged a chair beside him and sat down, carefully examining his face before dabbing it with the tissue. I wiped away all the tears, but new ones kept coming.

              "You have to speak to me," I told him, taking his face in my hands and staring solidly at him. It seemed to work, because he blinked and then the tears stopped.

              "Ali, I'm so sorry," he whispered and then grabbed me into a hug. Surprised, I hugged him back and heard him inhale the smell of my hair. It felt so nice to be in his arms that I almost didn't want to let go.

              "Why?" I asked, pulling away to look into him. They were full of guilt and I didn't like that.

              "I've done something bad," he admitted, grabbing his hair and almost pulling them out in his frustration. I forced his hands back down and looked at him.

              "What did you do?" I asked evenly.

              And before he could stop himself, the words slipped out of his mouth and changed my world forever.

              "I slept with your sister."

              Then I felt sick. Horrified, I stood up and backed away from him, clapping a hand to my mouth. Now I wanted to cry. 

              He mopped his red eyes. "Please listen to me!" 

              "You didn't!" I told him, although it felt more like I was talking to myself. "You didn't."

              "Ali, I am so sorry," he said in a hoarse voice and his hands reached out to me, but I no longer wanted to feel the warmth of his skin. He was tainted. He had touched my own sister, he wasn't allowed to go near me now.

              "Get away from me," I cried, shaking my head vehemently. He walked slowly towards me and I walked slowly away from him. "Don't, Ian. Don't!"

              He looked hurt. "I didn't mean it! I love you, please don't look at me like that! I love you!"

              Without another word, I whirled around to run away, but his hand grabbed my arm before I could move. I tugged hard but Ian was strong.

              He turned me back around and pinned me against the wall. When I tried to get away, his arms shot out on either side of my head, blocking any chance of escape. The way I describe it might make someone think he was about to hurt me, but Ian wouldn't hurt a fly.

              He merely tried talking to me but his voice sounded too distant for me to hear. My mind was blocking out his voice because I didn't want to hear it. Ian, the man who meant everything in the world to me, the man who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with, the man who loved me too, had cheated on me.

              With my sister.

              Things started to swirl out of control. My head just couldn't take it in - the news was so sudden and abrupt. Ian was talking, coaxing, trying to get me back, but in his heart he knew it was too late. 

              I shoved against his chest roughly and then ducked under his arm. The act was so sudden that his surprise gave me enough time to get out of there. I was out of the apartment before he could stop me.

              He didn't love me. Not if he could do this to me. 

              I ran out, sobbing, into the street. I was already half-way down the pavement when I heard him call my name. 

**

              I had met Dennis that night. He was going through the same I was, because Summer had just told him. I remember how we talked and how he said he would never go back to her. I told him the same, but it was only me who actually left my partner in the end.

              Sighing, I took one last look at the snowman picture and then shoved the photo albums aside - literally. They lay in a clutter on the floor as I stood up and walked towards my bedroom.

              Summer had rang today, and that's why I was so down. When I heard her voice, so many memories flooded back to me. Memories I hadn't properly thought about for years. I didn't tell Dennis or Gina, otherwise they would've insisted on keeping me company, and I wanted to be alone. 

              Looking through the photo album certainly didn't help bring my spirits up, but it was good to look through them again and see that me and Summer did have good times together. We would never have any good times again.

              I looked under my bed for other things too. There wasn't much because there are only so many things you can keep under your bed, but finally I came across something I had never seen before.

              It was a crumpled piece of paper with my name written on it. Curious, I unfolded it and recognised the scrawly writing at once. 

Ali,

If you're reading this, then you've probably found out the truth about why I'm divorcing Dennis. I just wish I could tell you in words how sorry I am for lying. I just couldn't tell you the truth and watch you look at me the way you did two years ago. You're my sister and I know I act like a cow, but I love you so much. One day, I hope you can forgive me.

Summer.

              I read the letter and felt my expression soften. I folded up the letter neatly and placed it onto my bedside table before looking underneath my bed again. Surprisingly, I felt another piece of crumpled paper. And then another.

              There were quite a few and I had to pull all of them out before reading them. One of them said:

Ali,

You're my sister. I know I hurt you once and it was hard to forgive me, but you did. I'm hoping you can do it again, but I can't stand my own sister hating my guts. I'm so sorry for lying. 

Summer.

              I read through the others and my eyes bulged out of my sockets when I realised they were all letters from Summer. She had written so many letters, trying to form the words desperately, and judging by the amount of paper, she must've spent a lot of time and effort on it. There were so many, and they all made me smile slightly, but for her to crumple them up must have meant she didn't think they were good enough. To me, they were something.

              While I was looking at these letters, my heart warming, the doorbell rang. I glanced at my watch and frowned, standing up. Gina couldn't be home yet already, and even if she was, why was she knocking?

              I jogged to the door and opened it.

              Leaf-green eyes stared back at me.

              Stood infront of me, with a sad smile on his face and flowers in his hand, was the person I would've least expected to ever walk back into my life.

              Ian.

______________________________________________

Boring? Yeah, sorry about that XD

But oooooooohhhh! Ian's back! Wow, just when things start to okay for Ali :L Haha... I hope nobody thought this story would be over in a few chapters XD There are still lots of things that need to happen first.

<< VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

If I get 10 votes, the next chapter will be extra long and interesting :D But if I don't, it's all good :3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.4K 3.8K 24
No description because it will ruin the last two books. If you haven't read Alliance (The First Book) go read it!
76.1K 2.9K 25
After (Y/N) parents died in a car accident ten years ago, she lives with her moody, bossy older brother ever since. Growing up without her parents wa...
302K 13.2K 33
When Victoria Elven sees her family's bakery shop lose business she is devastated to learn they cannot afford to pay for her mothers chemo therapy. T...
110K 2.3K 15
"I can't do this anymore" I whispered under my breath. "I can't let you go" he said in a deep voice. "You're being selfish " I yelled at him. " Wi...