book one: unrequited || sword...

By FrogTwinTopMagician

"I'm sorry, Kazuto," I whispered. I will not let you fall. "Stay alive and get out of here...Kirito...Asuna... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Epilogue

Chapter 14

5.8K 219 8
By FrogTwinTopMagician

Published: 4/12/2016; Tuesday; 10:10pm; Unedited

Holy crap this is a long chapter! :O One more chapter after this! Don't know if I'll be able to get it up today or tomorrow, but be expecting it! :D

Chapter 14 

We attacked relentlessly, but many had died during this fight, and their death was not in vain. We had come far, the Skull Reaper's health was almost completely depleted-- we were going to win.

Skull swung his scythe hand and killed another player before my eyes. One hit. That's all it took for the Skull Reaper.

The health got lower and I heard Heathcliff from my left, "Everyone, attack!" We all charged in, hitting Skull Reaper without stopping. I unleashed a onslaught of skills and attacks, despite my previous fear of the creature I had designed when I was twelve by remembering that this was another monster in our way to freedom, I tightened my grip on my sword, watching as my creation helplessly drooped to the ground, unable to defend itself or fight back any longer.

I roared, sending one last attack to Skull Reaper. It shot up, letting out a screech before stiffening and exploding into pixels. A 'Congratulations!!' flashed above us, signifying our win.

'We did it,' I panted, staring up at the notice above us, 'We won...but why do I still feel dread?'

Everyone dropped down, even I fell to my knees and breathed a sigh of relief, breathing heavily, Kirito back-to-back with Asuna on the floor, catching their breath. Klein was squat down, eyes closed and brows furrowed.

"How many lives have we lost?" He asked, and at the question, Kirito pulled up his menu and searched for something. Asuna looked back as his shoulder drooped.

"Fourteen people died."

Agil's breath hitched, eyes widening, "You've gotta be kidding me." Everyone looked over, horrified looks on their faces, having heard the news through the silence of the room.

"There are still twenty-five floors left to clear," Klein muttered.

"Can we really make it all the way to the top?" Agil questioned after. People started whispering, muttering, rocking back and forth, thinking about giving up. Kirito looked up and stared at something, making me follow his gaze and landed on someone  rather than something. Why was he staring a Heathcliff?

'I mean, he was standing, sure, and he didn't seem out of breath like the others. He looked as if the fourteen deaths didn't even bother them, plus he--' My eyes widen, realization dawning on me, 'He doesn't have  a scratch on him.' I stood up shakily, taking a better look at his health, 'He was injured, but...' I saw Kirito move out of the corner of my eye and snapped my gaze towards him, Asuna turned around in question to his movement, but he shot up and sprinted to Healthcliff, attacking.

Heathcliff was surprised, and rose his shield up, protecting himself, but a purple hexagon blocked Kirito instead, and another popped up with two words on it. 

Immortal Object.

"Kirito-kun, what are you--" Asuna had began running over, but stopped as her eyes landed on the words as well. It was silent for a moment, everyone standing up, staring. "System-granted immortality? What is the meaning of this, Commander?"

"This man's HP gauge is protected by the system so that it never drops into the yellow zone," Kirito informed. "Ever since I got stuck here, there was one thing I didn't get. 'Where is he observing us and controlling the world from?' But I overlooked something obvious. It's something even a child would know. There's nothing more boring than watching others play an RPG from the sidelines. Don't you agree, Kayaba Akihiko?"

My eyes widened, breath hitching, and once again I began to shake. No. It just-- it can't be him. Everyone around us gasped, and a shakily stepped up next to Kirito on his right, dropping my sword.

"Kayaba...Akihiko..." I whispered, his eyes flickered to me briefly, then returned to Kirito. I felt a pang in my heart at being brushed off.

"For future reference, mind sharing how you figured it out?" He stared at Kirito, eyes shining with curiosity, one that I had shared with him when I had designed Skull Reaper.

"The first time I suspected something was during our duel. In that last split second, you moved far too quickly."

"I guessed as much," he nodded, smirking. "That was a mistake on my part. Overwhelmed by your attacks, I carelessly activated the system's over-assist mode. Though, my other mistake," his eyes flickered to me, "was letting her in this game as well." Everyone's eyes darted to me, I shrunk a little under everyone's gaze, not like my usual self, "The moment I had met her, I knew this floor would get to her the most. After all, the monster we just killed was one she had designed herself for me a few years back, isn't that right, Mue?"

Tears streamed down my cheeks, sinking to the floor once again, my lip trembled.

"Uncle Akihiko..." I whimpered, gasps filling around the room, "...why...why would you..."

"You were fare too naive to understand my dreams, Mue, but your intelligence surpassed my expectations and I used you and your advanced skills to help me with the boss levels. Above this floor, the rest of the bosses were all the ones that you willing designed for me. Yes, I am Kayaba Akihiko, and if I may add, I'm also the final boss who was supposed to await you all on the top floor." I clutched my head, my mouth open in a silent scream.

This couldn't be happening. 

This can't be real.

"That's one twisted scenario." Kirito stated coldly, "Turning the strongest player into the ultimate boss..."

"Not a bad twist, don't you think?" Uncle gloated, "I expected that the one who'd be standing before me at the end would be you or Mue. The Dual-Wielding skill is granted to the player with the fastest reflexes, who would then become the hero that confronts the demon king. However your strength has exceeded my expectations. Well, I suppose such unexpected events are what make MMORPGs so enjoyable."

"What about Mue? You said me or her."

"Well of course, while you are the fastest, and strength exceeds most, Mue has a greater strength and has the highest level out of everyone in the game," my head snapped up, fear in my eyes. I had only told one person about my level, it was Yuu, but I wanted to keep it a secret from everyone else. I was already a Beater, on the front lines, the 'Ice Queen', I just didn't want anything else added on. "Isn't that right, Mue? Don't tell me you haven't told anyone how hard you've worked?"

I grit my teeth, glaring at him. It didn't matter that he was family anymore, he was a cruel man who had doomed so many lives-- and his own flesh and blood.

"Mue?" I jerked at the sound of Kirito calling my name, making me look at him, terrified. What would he do, how would he react, what would I do once everyone found out the truth? "What's your level?"

I bit my lip, looking away.

But Uncle answered for me instead, "Level 146. Is that right Mue?"

"Level 146?"

"That's insane!"

"She's a Beater after all."

"Of course the Ice Queen wouldn't tell anyone, she can't even stand the other Beater, and she hates Lightning Flash Asuna."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

The last question rung in my ears, having been to the left of me, and the closest out of the rest of them.

"Because you weren't there." I whispered, glaring at the ground. That's right, it wasn't my fault, it was his. I had grown accustomed to having him around, being around him, helping, him helping me, laughing, arguing-- it was his fault that I had fallen in love with him.

Before he could say something, someone else spoke, "Who cares...what matters is.... You had our loyalty...our hopes...how dare you...how dare you...HOW DARE YOU!" A man lashed out, about to strike down on Uncle, but he swiped the menu and pressed something, the man glitched to the right and missed, landing on the ground with a grunt. 

One look at his health and I saw a yellow block on the side-- he's paralyzed.

"Paralysis?" Kirito muttered. Uncle began pressing more buttons and paralysis appeared on everyone in the room, causing them to fall tot he floor as well, unable to move. I lost balance, falling over on my left, "Mue?! Asuna!" Kirito shouted, the sound of him catching Asuna made it to my ears, readjusting. 

I'm a sort of glad I can't see them from the floor, my head turned towards my uncle, gritting my teeth.

"What are you planning,"Kirito questioned, "Are you going to kill us all to conceal the truth?"

"God, no. I wouldn't do something so unreasonable," Uncle shook his head. "It seems I have no choice. Within he Ruby Palace on the top floor, I shall await for your arrival. It's a shame I have to abandon the Knights of the Blood, from which I raised from nothing, as well as the rest of the Clearing Group partway. Well, no matter. With your skills, I'm sure you'll make it. But before we part ways..." He dug his sword into the ground in front of him, "Kirito-kun," my finger twitch, even through the paralysis, "You deserve a reward for uncovering my identity. I'll offer you a chance."

"A chance?" He repeated.

"The chance to fight me one-on-one, right here, right now. Naturally, I will disable my immortality. Defeat me, and the game will be cleared, allowing all players to log out. How about it?"

"Don't do it, Kirito-kun," Asuna argued, "For now...for now, just stand down." I could hear Kirito breathing, ignoring Asuna. I closed my eyes, trying to will myself out of paralysis. 

"Not on my life." Asuna gasped. "Fine, let's settle this."

"Kirito-kun!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't back down now. You aren't going...to die, right?"

"Yeah," his voice was gentle, making me crack open my eyes glaring at the ground, "I'll win no matter what. I'll beat him, and put an end to this world."

"All right. I believe in you, Kirito-kun." I heard a bit of shuffling, then the unsheathing of two swords, and foot steps as he walked past me.

"Kirito," I called, making his pause, not looking at me, "I'm sorry. You better not die on my watch, idiot."

He whipped around, an annoyed look on his face, "Out of all the times you have to call me an idiot, you do it now?" I cracked a small grin.

"Just for you, idiot." He huffed, face turning serious, and facing Uncle once again. 

I blocked out his words towards Agil and Klein, trying to move, successfully pushing myself up, though my whole lower half was completely immobile, I began willing myself to get up. 

"If you don't mind, I have a request," Kirito's words were distant as I kept trying to move.

"What is it?" Uncle replied, curious.

"I don't plan to go down easily, but if I die, I want you to ensure that Asuna cannot commit suicide, at least for a while." My eyes flickered to Kirito, heart beating fast.

"Oh? Very well."

"Kirito-kun, don't say that! You can't...you can't do this to me!"  She began to cry, Uncle made himself a Mortal Object and unsheathed his sword, "KIRITO-KUN!" She screeched. I whip my head around to look at her, eyes narrowed.

"Will you shut up already?!" I hissed, her teary eyes glared at me, but I went back to looking at Uncle and Kirito while trying to pull myself up slowly. I was almost up.

I watched, Kirito sprinted forward, engaging the fight. It was was suspenseful, just watching. A cloud of dust appeared around him, blocking them from our view for a few seconds before clearing, a cut on Kirito's face but he hadn't stopped attacking. Uncle stood there with his shield, not even flinching at his attacks. 

Kirito yelled, swinging his teal sword, which glowed as he activated the skill, but upon contact with the shield, it shattered the end, breaking the sword. There was a slight pause, and I pushed Asuna down as she attempted to get up, her eyes wide as she looked at me, and I shook my head.

I gave her a smile, a small, apologetic smile that held a million different apologies, so many words and feelings, emotions that I would never let out.

I turned around just as Uncle prepared to attack, "Farewell, Kirito-kun," he announced.

"Goodbye, Asuna," I whispered, and darted forwards, jumping in front of Kirito just as Uncle jabbed his sword forward. I braced myself, because even though this was a game, you could still feel the--

Pain.

Pain is all I felt as the sword struck right through my chest, where my heart would have been. My uncles eyes widened, and he pulled back the sword, but the damage was done, I hadn't had time to use a potion to heal, so my health was near yellow, and it began going down quickly.

He pulled out the sword quickly, making me fall down. Instead of hitting the ground, I was caught from behind, strong arms wrapping around me to hold me up. I took a glance up at Kirito-- my eyes catching my health hitting zero-- and meeting his horrified eyes. I began to glow, knowing that this would be the last time I see the man I fell in love with. I smiled weakly.

"It can't be..." he whispered, "M-- Ume, you can't...you can't just..."

"I'm sorry, Kazuto," I whispered. I will not let you fall. "Stay alive and get out of here...Kirito...Asuna..." I'm sorry, "Goodbye." I glanced at my Uncle, his eyes still wide, regret and terror on his face. "I still love you, Uncle." I closed my eyes, suddenly feeling like I was on a cloud. Who knew dying like this would feel so...fleeting.

I love you, Kirigaya Kazuto.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 525 13
Kirito and I collapse out of breath, the sign above us screams 'Winner' as he defeated the boss of floor 11. "We did it." I say in between breaths...
9.8K 202 48
I found a medow of flowers near a river and decided to lay down watching the clouds, they look so real, they are real. At least to me, this all feels...
5.2K 132 6
An AU of the world of SAO! Accused for being something he wasn't, all he could do was run. But running could only get him so far as he desperately cr...
177K 2.5K 12
You were an SAO survivor, and that game nearly killed you countless times while you were trapped, especially when you would hang around your friend K...