Discovery

By autumnleaf04

Now a series of shorts. More

What is...
Take A Bow
Last Christmas
The Antagonist
The Apprentice (Part 1)
From The Other Side
It Started When We Were Younger | The Apprentice (Part 2)
Papa Don't Preach | The Apprentice (Part 3.1)
Confessions | The Apprentice (Part 3.2)
Somewhere We Can Be Alone | The Apprentice (Part 3.3)
It's A Love Story | The Apprentice (Part 3.4: Finale)
The Apprentice Outtakes: OVERPROTECTED
The Apprentice Outtakes: BOYS NIGHT OUT
Out Of It
The Accomplice (Part 1)
Silent Operator: Outtake | The Accomplice (Part 2.2)
Lovebug | The Accomplice (Part 3.1)
The Trojan Horse | The Accomplice (Part 3.2)
Author's Love Notes
The French Cheese | The Accomplice (Part 3.3)
Sister Act | The Accomplice (Part 3.4)
Save The Date | The Accomplice (Part 3.5)
Lightning Falls, Thunder Crashes | The Accomplice (Part 4.1)
A Heart Is Not Whole | The Accomplice (Part 4.2)
Why Don't You Stay | The Accomplice (Part 4.3)
THE ACCOMPLICE OUTTAKES: A Little Sapling | Mothers Know Best (Part 1)
Lovesick | The Antagonist (Part 2)
THE ACCOMPLICE OUTTAKES: Take It From Your Mumsy | Mothers Know Best (Part 2)
THE ACCOMPLICE OUTTAKES: Look At Me That Way
Not an update but...
One Thing Left To Do | The Accomplice (Part 5: Finale)

Silent Operator | The Accomplice (Part 2)

2.5K 156 190
By autumnleaf04

Sorry! I was stumped for a while, then when I was about to write kanina, I got distracted with the debate. But here it is! This may have a lot of mistakes since I didn't proofread it.

Special thanks to sereace for her help in this chapter. Since I fail at cheese, several scenarios here is from her. Take it as a break from all the horror she's putting us through.

Thanks also to @mnggy33 for the title idea.

Dun sa mga nag-ask, I can't really describe in detail how R3 looks like, so just imagine for yourself. I only have a peg of his personality, from an encounter with A years back.

Song is "Something There" from Beauty and the Beast.

Again, I do not own nor am I associated with anyone implied in this story. There's a reason why this is called fanFICTION. 

---

In Which There's Something

There's something sweet

And almost kind

But he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined

But now he's dear, and so unsure

I wonder why I didn't see it there before

"Sabrina, stay here muna anak. Your Dad and I will go out already to greet the guests." Since I will have my grand entrance, they are keeping me in this room until the time comes. "The photographers will stay though, so that they can take photos of you and R3."

"Okay, Mom. Are they here already? I haven't seen Ate Charm or Tita M."

"They just arrived but got caught up with the guests. Maine already texted me that R3's on his way up. Smile for the photos ha? Like how I taught you." Kahit na hindi masyadong showbiz si Mommy, stage mother pa rin.

"Yes Mom." It would be easier to smile if I got all that I wanted (read: Jacob) but I got most of what I want so I should be happy. And at least, it's not Dad. That would be humiliating.

R3 would at least look good in the pictures. Pwedeng pang-Instagram. I just hope he decided to leave his Nintendo at home.

"Brie..." speaking of the cute devil.

"Oi, you're here na. We need to take photos daw. Buti na lang you don't have your glasses on. And your Nintendo is nowhere in sight. Yay!" I made a silent clap which didn't amuse him all that much. Suplado talaga nito.

"Mama confiscated it. And I didn't really need the glasses, she just insists on it so my eyes won't hurt while playing." Hahahaha! Ang haba ng sinabi nya no? It's surprising for some that R3 can actually string along more than 3 words in a sentence. But yes, he can. I learned that it's not for everyone though, not even for Dad who is his Ninong. They're very close, I'm almost waiting for my dad to adopt him since he always "borrows" him from his family.

He cleaned up nice today. Okay, more than nice. Without his glasses you can actually see his eyes, expressive like Tita M's. Which means it can be quite scary when he's pissed (I've seen it before). But I get why the girls in my school (and their neighborhood) would gush over him. He certainly got his father's looks, almost identical (if it wasn't for the eyes you'd think Tito RJ actually got himself cloned). It's understandable, really. The boy next door look, medyo mysterious, and the dimple that rarely makes an appearance. I've had my fair share of girls approach me to ask about him, some are even envious.

There is no cause for envy really. While I am not blind to R3's looks, I think I may be immune. That's the answer i give to my friends when they ask me about him. He's always been just there, you know? So his presence really is not overwhelming or extraordinary for me. Friendzoned? Not really. It's just that, he's there. Always been.

Anyway, here we are taking photos. Ridiculous photos if you ask me. This is a debut, not a wedding. Why do we need so many pictures together? But anyway, Mom and Tita M wanted behind-the-scenes photos, and that includes R3. The coordinator told us that they're about to introduce me so he offered his arm to me so he can walk me towards the door where I will be going out.

"Brie," he put a hand on my own that was holding on to his arm. "Are you nervous?"

"A bit. Everyone will be looking at me. What if i trip walking down the staircase?"

"Don't be. You look beautiful." He looked at me this time. The rare dimple taking a peak with his smile.

"And if you trip, I'll rush up to catch you. I'll be standing in the middle naman. Waiting for you." He gave my hand a squeeze.

"Thanks R3."

"No problem. Just smile okay? And enjoy the night. This is yours."

See? He's always, just there. For me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, friends and family, we are very glad to introduce to you, the debutante, our daughter, Sabrina Tumulak Gogna!" That was dad. Always so comfortable on stage with a microphone.

The doors opened and the spotlight's on me. I looked down and saw my family on stage, and everyone else was on their feet clapping. And I looked down the stairs and saw R3 in the middle of it. I took a deep breath and I saw him flash me a reassuring smile.

His dimple is contagious. I nervously smiled too, while walking down. It was such a relief for me once I reached where he was standing and I'm able to hold on to his arm again. At least now, for the other half of the stairs, I won't have to go down on my own.

"Just smile, Brie. You're doing great." His other hand is on top of mine again and I just smiled. The thing about growing up together, though we may not be as close, is that we know each other enough. Enough to read how the other feels. He knows how to make me feel safe, he always does. Because he's there, always.

He handed me over to my dad for the start of the dance. Since I refused to him being my 18th rose, dad insisted he would be the first. He was after all, the first man in my life. His words.

And would be the only man for another decade. His words also.

The dances went along great. Being passed on from one partner to another is not that easy. And I have to dance through all of it, with flowers in my hand. It's getting heavy. But I kept on smiling because I wanted to last until this next dance...

Jacob.

He gave me a smile as he took my hand and started to dance with me. He has this smug look on his face which I would otherwise hate on someone else. But confidence, his confidence, is attractive, y'know? I can see dad looking at us from time to time. And Jacob would glance around somewhere as if he's looking for someone and then looked down on me. I know I'm blushing.

"You look pretty tonight Sab."

"Thanks Jacob."

"I heard you were supposed to ask me to be your escort."

"Yes, supposed to be. But we changed plans." I wasn't about to tell him my dad did not agree because I do not want to look pityful, or too eager.

"Too bad, you could have spent the whole party with me."

I didn't know how to answer that so I just smiled at him, "Thanks for coming though."

"My pleasure." He winked at me and gave my hand a kiss before handing me over.

To R3. He looks serious again but he relaxed once he got closer to me.

"Let's put this somewhere first. I know you're getting tired." He took the flowers in my hand and handed it to someone. And out of the blue produced another flower from somewhere and handed it to me. It's the only flower left in my hand since he put the others away. It is easier to dance now, without the weight of those.

"Thank you. Nangangalay na ko dun. Ang bigat pala."

"I know. I can see that." His dimple is on parole today, it seems. "Did you enjoy the dance with Jacob?"

"Okay naman. Same as the others."

"Good then. Let's have fun this time. I'm going to twirl you." I looked at him in surprise. We didn't rehearse this.

"Ready?" All I could do was nod. "1, 2 , 3"

And twirl I go. I laughed. Mas masaya nga naman kesa sa super formal dance I've been doing for most of the night.

"Enjoyed that?"

"Yeah!"

"I'm gonna dip you next. Ok lang?"

"Sure!"

After he dipped me, everyone was clapping. That was the highlight of the dance for me, I finally relaxed and had fun. I gave him a slight hug and the emcee interrupted us for the next part of the program. Holding my hand he guided me back to the seat designated for us up the stage.

"Do you need anything?" I shook my head. "You sure? Water?"

"No, I'm okay. Thank you."

"Just let me know if you need anything." I nodded again and gave him a smile. Napaka-attentive nya today. Siguro dahil unoccupied sya at wala ang Nintendo nya. Hahaha!

"You really look radiant today, Brie. I'm glad you're happy." And cheesy sya today. Like the name he calls me. I'm Sabrina or Sab to everyone, including him. Until last prom, but he only calls me that when no one else can hear. Well, granted that he doesn't really talk that much. I've never asked him why he had to call me by another name, I don't think he'll answer anyway. He'll probably just give me a shrug so I just let it be. I like the name actually.

The whole night R3 did not let me stand or walk without holding my hand. He barely let go of it, unless necessary. Okay lang naman, at least i know I'm safe and I won't just fall face first at some point. Arms over my shoulders. Hand on my back. Sobrang in character ang escort ko. Of all the times that he was very dismissive and a recluse to others, including me sometimes, I really see now how much he cares for the people important to him. Lalo na pag ladies -- to Ate Charm, Tita M and her sisters, Mom and Tita V, and now me. He treats me like a lady now.

She glanced this way

I thought I saw

And when we touched she didn't shudder at my paw

No it can't be, I'll just ignore

But then she's never looked at me that way before

The moment I walked through the door where she was prepping, I almost lost my breath. She's always been beautiful, even while we were growing up. She got her mother's face, and those distinct features from her dad which makes her stand out. On her own she's a beauty, but with all this she's almost ethereal.

"Brie..." I called to get her attention. Yes, I call her Brie. it's not her official nickname but it's the name I call her. Ever since prom, I have called her Brie, a name exclusive for me. I don't think anyone else has heard me call her that though, anyone else who matters at least. Except Ejercito.

I know that she likes him, I've accidentally heard her and her friends. Pammy also mentioned it when they were planning her party. Okay lang naman. I've seen her go through crushes before, even if we're not really that close. Our families spend a lot of time together, enough for me to know a lot about her. We've been mainstays in each others lives ever since we can remember.

But the difference now is that Ejercito knows of her crush on him, and he entertains it. But I know that he doesn't like her that way. Dude just really enjoys the attention and is a charmer. Nakakainis because he flirts with her sometimes, pero ganon sya sa lahat, which i don't think Brie knows or even notices. I don't want her hurt, kaya I always make sure to be there when he's around.

One particular incident was prom. Our schools (ours all boys, and hers all girls) set up a prom together as tradition. Ninong Sam did not allow her to go with a date and from what I heard, Jacob didn't ask her. I didn't think he would kasi nga, he wants to enjoy the party. But he made sure to flirt with her.

-flashback-

"C'mon Sab, try this. It's good." He handed her a glass of what I think is punch. Pretty sure they spiked the bowl when no one was looking.

"No Jacob, I think that's spiked." Sab refused, thank goodness.

"Exactly! That's why you should try it. Sige na, don't be KJ. Minsan lang naman." Sab takes the glass and drinks it. He knows she doesn't like getting drunk, although she has a pretty high tolerance (genes coming from you-know-who).

"Whoo! Good job, girl! O isa pa." Jacob hands her another drink and I can see in her face that she doesn't want to take it. Lagot na to.

"Tama na yan, ako na iinom nyan. Don't force her, Jacob." I took the glass instead and downed it for her.

"I wasn't forcing her. Hindi naman di ba, sweets? I just want her to enjoy the night. Here's one more," I grabbed the next glass that he's handing her and drank it.

"She may not say it, Ejercito, but she's not one to get drunk so quit it."

"Bakit ka ba nakikialam dito? Whoa, ang pula mo Tres. Can't hold your alcohol? Dalawa pa lang yun ah." He laughed at me in jest and looked around his posse encouraging them to do the same.

"Because I'm not a party animal like you. Let's go." I grabbed Sab's arm and dragged her away from his group.

"R3, you didn't have to do that." She stops walking and made me face her.

"I had to. He was almost forcing you."

"I can refuse him naman. And you didn't have to drink those also."

"If hindi ko yun iinumin ipipilit nya yun sayo."

"I said, I can refuse him. Now look at you. Ang pula pula mo na. Tita M will not be happy."

"Kaya ko pa. Mama will understand." Instead of listening to me, she dragged me to the refreshments table and gave me a glass of water. And another. And another. And another.

"Wait, di ko na kaya. Ang dami naman."

"Ano, do you feel like going to the restroom?" I nodded and she pushed me to that direction. "Ayan, let it all out there."

Once I'm done with my business, I saw her still waiting outside the men's restroom. "Okay ka na?"

"Yes, thank you. How did you know that?"

"I've seen dad with mom when she gets drunk." She said matter-of-factly, tucking stray hair back behind her ears. Kahit alam kong inis sya sa akin, ang ganda pa rin nya. Her makeup is almost washing away, there's a mix of worry and irritation in her deep-set eyes. In this dimly lit corridor, I saw her in a new light. And I thought no one else should see her this way.

"That's handy. Thank you Brie."

That was the first time I called her Brie. When I felt that possessive emotion, it was like instinct for me to call her that. Stake your claim. Call her a name only you get to use. I remember Ninong Sam mentioning that during boys' night.

Back to now, where she stands in the middle of the room all dolled up and leaving me almost speechless. Good thing she broke the ice and made fun of me. I was able to relax and school myself. Thanks Papa for the acting genes.

New and a bit alarming

Who'd have ever thought that this could be?

True that he's no Prince Charming

But there's something in him that I simply didn't see

The night went on until it's the end of the party already. R3 is escorting me back to the room while my parents say goodbye to the guests. Once we got in, he grabbed a bouquet of flowers from the coffee table. I didn't see that there when we left earlier.

"This is for you." He handed me the bouquet and I can only give him a questioning look. He must have gotten what I meant so he explained. "Kuya Baste sneaked that in kanina when we left the room. I didn't know exactly when to give it to you."

"Thank you. These are beautiful, and you didn't really have to."

"But I want to. Not just that but this too." He got something out of his pocket, brought my arm up and clasped a bracelet around it. "Happy birthday Brie. I hope you had a great night." To my surprise he kissed me on the cheek, smiled then walked out of the room. Just as Pammy was about to walk in.

"Uy ate ano yan?"

"Flowers?"

"Sino may bigay?" I'm still a bit stunned and couldn't answer. "Si kuya R3?"

"Yes." My sister just gave me a knowing smile and started to tease. Ignoring her, I suddenly remembered his gift that's currently on my wrist. It was a simple silver bracelet with a solid silver band in the middle of the chain, my birth date engraved on it. I touched the engraving and noticed there's another one engraved at the back. I turned it around and read it:

bRi3

---

Whew. That was a monster. There will be an outtake, a short one, after this. Dapat kasama nito but I can't na, gabi na. 

Let me know what you think. And how I miserably failed at cheese. Don't worry, comedy na uli yung next chapters. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 20.4K 44
• First there was Alden and Maine • • And then came Enzo and Katie • • They became Alden and Maine again • • And then came Enzo and Katie •
6.2K 122 24
Little one shots/story ideas that I have.
84.1K 2K 50
When soldier, Jane Rizzoli, is discharged from her first deployment after her friend and commanding officer, Bradyn Isles is killed, she feels alone...
53.2K 1.6K 20
I decided to write a short story. Sorry, not sorry.