These Paths We Tread (Autobot...

By TMWolf

Catherine Wolf has been friends with Sam Witwicky for as long as she can remember, and been in love with him... More

Introduction
I. It Started With a Feeling
II. Heartbreak Warfare
III. Rage Against the Machine
IV. Bad Day
V. Time Is Running Out
VI. Save the World
VII. Fix you
VIII. Little Wonders
IX. The Touch
X. Two Worlds I
XI. Two Worlds II
XII. Time to Pretend
XIII. Blinding
XIV. You Are a Tourist
XV. I Can Go the Distance
XVI. Don't Look Back In Anger
XVII. Somewhere I Belong
XVIII. Home
XIX. Welcome to Paradise Part I
XX. Welcome to Paradise Part II
XXI. Bad Moon Rising
XXII. One Step At A Time
XXIII. Talk
XIV. See You Soon
XXV. Dog Days Are Over
XXVI. We Build Then We Break
XXVII. Use Somebody
XXVIII. Roll Away Your Stone
XXIX. Monday Monday
XXX. Rumor Has It
XXXI. Trouble
XXXII. Son Of A Gun
XXXIII. Points of Authority
XXXIV. Young Blood Part I
XXXV. Young Blood Part II
XXXVI. Little Talks
XXXVII. One Step Closer
XXXVIII. Currency of Love
XXXIX. Sweet Home [Diego Garcia]
XL. Where'd All the Time Go?
XLI. Twisted Logic
XLII. Your Bones
XLIII. Dark Paradise
XLIV. Headlong Into the Abyss
XLV. Mad World
XLVI. I Will Be Your Savior
XLVII. Family
XLVIII. Famous Last Words
XLIX. The Sun's Gone Dim and the Sky's Turned Black
L. Take Me Back To the Start
LI. Shake It Out
LII. Only the Young
LIV. The World We Live In
LV. Iron
LVI. A Message
LVII. Design in Malice
LVIII. Sunburn
LIX. Hard Sun
LX. Weights & Measures
LXI. Heads Will Roll
LXII. Tomorrow Will Be Kinder
LXIII. Only If For a Night
LXIV. Seein' Red
LXV. The Day the World Went Away Part I
LXVI. The Day the World Went Away Part II
LXVII. The Day the World Went Away Part III
XCIX. The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
LXIX. Secrets
LXX. Good Occasions
LXXI. Points of Authority II
LXXII. Sunrise Sunset
LXXIII. All Fall Down
LXXIV. Caterwaul
LXXV. Helplessness Blues
LXXVI. Live to Rise
LXXVII. How It Ends
LXXVIII. Death is the Road to Awe
Epilogue: Those Who Remain

LIII. Sigh No More

4.7K 121 92
By TMWolf

-------------------------------------------------------------

Catherine sighed deeply as she zipped her duffle bag closed. It had taken her about twenty minutes to get the last of her things together—she had gotten the majority the night before—and she just needed to grab a few more items on the way out to be completely done. She almost hadn’t expected to be able to leave so soon. It had only been a few weeks since she’d given NEST a call and only two since she’d spoken with the President, but she was already approved for travel to Diego Garcia. It was kind of unbelievable that she was finally going back. A part of her was actually a little worried.

“Got everything?” a metallic voice rang out and she turned to find a semi-transparent young man standing by her window. He looked like a basic American NEST soldier, only his facial expression was very bland and essentially emotionless. She was also able to walk through him, which she did with a grin as she came to the window and opened it. She was met with a silver-armored face and bright blue, shining optics.

“You can just tap on my window, y’know,” she laughed as he leaned closer, and then glanced back at the hologram, which was turned to face her. “Besides, you still suck at the hologram or form or whatever thingy.”

“Got your attention, didn’t it? ‘Course, it doesn’t compare to the real thing,” he purred, flickering one optic—a Cybertronian version of a wink.

She rolled her eyes, “Uh-huh. And to answer your question... pretty much. Just some things left downstairs. You glad to finally be heading back?”

“I don’t mind it here, but I don’t mind seeing the others again. Granted, it’s nice not being on duty,” the silver mech smirked, and she returned it with a smile.

“What a lazy bum,” she chuckled softly, playfully punching his nose. “Is everyone doing okay, though?”

“You’re going to find out in a few hours,” he mused, but then paused as he noticed a frown flicker across her features. “What’s wrong? Are you worried? You know you don’t need to.”

She frowned further, folding her arms, “I know, and I’m not worried… not exactly… I guess, I’m nervous? Maybe? I mean… I kind of just… left. I can’t believe Air Raid wasn’t even mad when he showed up. I’ve been a terrible mom to them… I didn’t even pay my respect to Slingshot and he’s my kid, and I didn’t even go see… see… Jazz or m-my team…God, I just left my team and all of them!”

Sideswipe’s optics softened as he leaned forward more and nudged his forehead against hers gently. She quieted and pressed back into the touch, and let herself breathe in deeply. His optics lit up, but he did not move away.

“They’ll understand. Pit, if I understand, then they will, and don’t worry about those little slaggers of yours. They’re just waiting for you to come back since they can’t come here. And besides, it’s like I keep telling you—I’ll keep you safe from anyone and anything. Any fragger tries anything and they get to taste my blades.”

“Oh, Sideswipe,” she laughed, taking his head into her hands as best she could. “Thanks, although please don’t do the whole ‘taste-my-blade-thing’. That would be bad… and I didn’t know you were such a nice guy. Where was this a year ago, hmm?”

His optics brightened, “We weren’t spark mates then.”

“Well, aren’t I the lucky girl—or well, I guess you’d call me a femme since I resemble them more. Er—regardless, I like it,” she purred, and then laughed again. “Although I feel kinda weird talking like this; all flirty-ish n’ stuff.”

“I can stop if you want. I figured you’d like it. It’s what humans do, apparently.”

“No, no it’s fine… but wait—what do Cybertronians do then?” she inquired, tilting her head as she let him go. He leaned back in turn, also tilting his head as he thought.

“Well… Uh, me n’ Sunny… well, we don’t flirt since we’re brothers, but we do uh… talk—er, banter? I think is the right word. Whatever. Anyways, we do that, but it’s a mixture between through the spark and the comm. link or whatever,” he replied, using his hands to make random gestures for emphasis, which, oddly enough, were rather human. “But, uh, then I guess we just do what we did before the bond was, um, blocked… Er, to be honest, no one really knows. Mates don’t really talk about what they do and it wasn’t written down or whatever.”

“Huh. Well, that kind of sucks, but I guess that gives us free reign to do whatever. Granted, the fact I’m human and you’re Cybertronian already kind of makes that a given,” she laughed again, and he grinned back. “Man, I have yet to tell anyone. I bet they’re all going to flip! How many Autobots know, by the way?”

“Well, Ratchet, obviously, and I think he’s the only one, but the others will know soon enough.”

“Assuming you haven’t boasted about it yet.”

He feigned being hurt, “Ugh, I’m insulted! Have you no faith? But, no, I haven’t. Still, they’ll figure it out, and I doubt they’ll think much of it. Well, some might find it weird, but they can shove it up their afts if they have a problem. Same for the human people.”

“We should make it a kind of surprise when they do. Or, well, as shocking as possible for the situation. Like, don’t tell them, but let them figure out and ask and then we say it with straight faces or something,” she grinned mischievously, and the expression was soon shared on his faceplate.

“I like it! Sounds like a plan,” he mused. “First we gotta get to base, though.”

“Yes. That we do.” 

And twenty minutes later—after getting everything together, putting it into Sideswipe’s trunk, and saying good-bye to her adoptive mother and sister—they left for Diego Garcia.

 -------------------------------------------------------------

-O-

------------------------------------------------------------- 

The ride was similar to the first one she had taken, the only difference being that Lennox wasn’t there to give her the quick rundown of things. The seats were a tad uncomfortable, and Sideswipe was stowed in the cargo bay, while she was in the passenger section. There were one or two other soldiers, but they were spread out amongst the seats and hadn’t spoken more than the customary “hello” or nod or salute. She didn’t mind it so much, although conversation would have done well to keep her mind off the flurry of worries that continued to confront her consciousness.

Despite Sideswipe’s reassurance, she was still concerned about how everyone would receive her. She knew she probably shouldn’t care—and, certainly, a part of her didn’t—but she couldn’t help herself. She had left them abruptly for two solid months and hadn’t contacted them at all until just weeks ago. Someone was bound to be mad or—or something. Yes, it was a silly thought, but it still invaded her mind constantly and made a cold sweat trickle down her brow. She at least knew some people would be happy to see her—Lennox, obviously, and no doubt her team, and even many of the Autobots. Still. She worried.

She jolted only a little when the aircraft started its turnabout for the landing. She closed her eyes to calm down and waited patiently for the jolt at the end. It came nice and easy for once, and it wasn’t long before they were given the okay to depart. She did so quickly and then hurried back towards the cargo where Sideswipe was already rolling down. He transformed and stretched his limbs, happy to be free, and then looked down at her with a comforting grin. She tried to return it, but she doubted she was very convincing although the silver mech acted as though she were. They both nodded at one another and rounded the plane, heading for the base.

She could see Lennox waiting for her already, and with him were more than a few familiar faces. Her heart beat a little faster as the doubts came on again, but it ended up being all for nothing, for as soon as she was within reach, her adoptive father embraced her in a warm hug. The others soon joined in, clapping her shoulder or ruffling her hair or giving her a “brotherly” hug, too. She laughed all the while, her doubts fading.

“Welcome back, kiddo,” Lennox smiled warmly.

“It’s good to be back,” she replied with confidence.

Fig grinned from behind their Commander, “So, chica, it seems like you have some interesting tales to tell us, eh?”

She raised a brow, “Depends on which ones?”

“Like the one where you tell us how old were you when you joined?” Anthony piped up next, and the redhead made an “ah” face as she laughed again.

“Sixteen, and, yes, that does mean you were kind of a pedophile when you flirted with me, but I forgive you,” she teased, and the Italian man groaned with slumped shoulders. The others snickered as they elbowed him, while the redhead looked between them and sighed a little. “You’re right, though. I owe you guys a lot of explanations, and I promise to tell you everything that happened. I expect to owe a lot of people that explanation.”

“Don’t feel obligated, although I am curious about the Allspark business,” Jackson hummed, and then added quickly, “Again; don’t feel obligated.”

“Alright, guys, lay off. She just got back—let’s give her some time to settle in, alright?” Epps barked, waving them off.

“Why, thank-you, Epps. I wouldn’t mind that, actually. It’s been some time since I’ve been to my room… and I imagine my kids are eager to see me,” she mused, and was given odd glances. A grin flickered on her lips, “I’ll explain later.”

“Yeah, you’re definitely gonna have to,” Fig replied, his raised brow getting higher.

“Well, go settle into your room, alright? We’ve got dinner at the usual time so meet with us then,” Lennox spoke next, ruffling her hair, and she nodded as she beat him off. She parted from them then, noting she’d be happy to join them, and took off with Sideswipe right beside her. He lowered his hand down after a few moments and she hopped on. She glanced back at her team once she was situated and finally let herself notice the absence of two of them. She frowned, recalling the battle months ago, and a pang hit her chest. David and Alexander. They had both perished in the battle. She would make sure to pay her respects soon. At the very least she owed them that.

“So, do you want to head to your room first, then?” Sideswipe inquired as he weaved around humans and towards the entrance to the Autobots side.

“No—let’s go see Ratchet. I didn’t think about it before, but I should see if my body is still fine… and then we all know he hates it when my kids barge in uninvited,” she purred, an evil gleam in her eyes, and silver mech laughed just as evilly.

“I should really look into getting those Seekers to help with pranking him.”

“Just don’t get them killed. I’d be very cross with you, and you’d be a terrible father-figure.”

He jerked to a stop, almost throwing her off, “What?

“Well, since we are spark mates, that makes us a couple, and while you may not be human, I am, and I’m their mom, so, being that you’re my ‘boyfriend’ that makes you the father, so to speak,” she replied, and his optics narrowed.

“Pit no. I am not going to be any kind of caretaker for them.”

“I’ll tell Ratchet.”

"What?! Oh, come on! This isn’t fair at all! I can’t take care of them!” he barked, throwing up only one arm since she occupied the other.

She raised a hand up for peace, “You don’t have to ‘care’ for them; they can do that by themselves. Just look out for them! Besides, it’ll help them like you and not think you’re ‘stealing’ me from them.”

“You have got to be joking,” the silver mech groaned, throwing his head back.

“Not at all, and I will tell Ratchet if you don’t help look out for them,” she replied, her face straight and stalwart.

“Slag it all, fine. You owe me, though,” he huffed while she grinned, victorious.

“And pray tell what I might owe?”

He hummed thoughtfully as he moved on again, “I’ll think of something.”

Catherine rolled her eyes, but didn’t refuse as they turned corners, saying hello to whomever they saw. Oddly, not all those they came upon were Autobots—some were human. In fact, she was seeing more humans then she had ever seen before in the Autobot halls. Some she recognized and some she didn’t. Those she did and noticed her, too, welcomed her back, although she didn’t think she really deserved it. The Autobots were the same, also giving their warm regards and sometimes noting how they were glad to see her. Some she thought she sensed a bit of reverence—as if she were some higher person—and it irked her a little. Did they still think she was the Allspark? She supposed it was possible; she hadn’t really told anyone she didn’t have the powers besides Sam and Sideswipe and then those few who had found out on their own.

The notion stayed prominent in her mind as they rounded another corner and came to the Medbay doors. They were opened slightly and already she could hear the medic’s voice speaking along three others—First Aid, Jolt, and a feminine one. Just as the silver mech opened the door she realized it was Elita-1, and sure enough, the purple-armored femme was lying upon a table where Ratchet hovered over, inspecting her chassis. She didn’t look to be in pain as she nodded back at the medic once he mumbled about something, but Catherine didn’t recall the femme being damaged recently.

“Catherine! Sideswipe!” First Aid called out happily, having noticed them first, and the other three all perked up and shared in the medical assistant’s excitement.  The silver mech waved as he rolled in, as did the redhead on his shoulder, whom was soon placed on the work bench. As always it was cluttered with tools and materials, although today it was more so than usual.

“Welcome back, you two! Sorry about the mess, by the way. Most of the repairs for everyone have been long term, since we’ve had to convert everything, but it should be cleaned up soon enough,” Jolt stated, already starting to clear some things out of the way. First Aid moved to help him, while Ratchet closed up Elita-1’s chassis.

“Thankfully, the wounded are now up and running again. Even this femme here, who nearly got her entire spark chamber blown off because she wasn’t being careful!” he huffed, casting the purple-armored femme a look.

Elita-1 shrugged, “I’ve suffered worse, and I’m fine aren’t I?”

“Only because we stabilized you long enough for me to transfer your spark to your sisters. Now, go on and get some Energon so your systems can keep repairing it,” he spoke, nudging her off the table and towards the door. She paused to look over at Sideswipe and Catherine with a warm smile.

“It’s good to see you are both well. We’ll have to share some Energon some time,” she chuckled and then was gone after they nodded.

“Jolt, First Aid, you’ve done enough for today. Go relax and have a drink,” Ratchet spoke up, and both assistants looked to one another, shrugged, and did as told. They gave their good-byes, and then Sideswipe and Catherine were alone with the medic, whom began to shuffle a few things around. He did so for only about a minute, the two watching him curiously, and then turned towards them.

“Well, you’re back.”

She nodded with a small smile, “Yeah—“

“And do have any idea how annoying those Seekers of yours are?!” he shouted, throwing his hands up. However, the redhead didn’t cower; rather, she laughed. “Every solar cycle they have come in bugging me about you, asking where you are! Pit knows why they ask me! But they have! Do you understand how many times they have invaded this place while I worked? I have not been able to find peace of any kind for two orbital cycles! Two!!

“I’m uh… sorry?” was all she managed to say, and the medic snorted.

“You better be,” he grumbled, but then made a drastic change in demeanor and help up his arm. “Now, I imagine you want a scanning if you’ve come here.”

“What? You didn’t think we’d come here just to say ‘hi’?” Sideswipe grinned, and the medic gave him a deadpan look that clearly said ‘no’. Catherine laughed again as she nodded, and the medic ran a scan over both her and Sideswipe, which was compiled in moments.

“Well, you, Sideswipe, are as fine as ever—who would have guessed?” he snorted again, and then turned to the redhead. “You’re doing fine as well. I see no changes from before, besides maybe a lower level of Energon in your blood. Otherwise… unchanged.”

Catherine sighed with relief, “Good. That means my power loss didn’t do anything harmful.”

She meant to go on, but stopped when she noticed Ratchet looking at her… oddly. It wasn’t so much disappointment, but more like coming to terms with something. He nodded once and went through the scans once more. He nodded again, and the two of them waited patiently as he sighed.

“So it’s true then,” he said simply.

“You knew?”

“Not… exactly. We had a theory—Prime and I, anyways. Back in Egypt, Elita-1’s spark had been failing to where I could not stabilize it on my own. However, Prime used the Matrix and it reacted much in the same way you would have, and we were able to give it to her sisters to stabilize. We had not thought much of it… or, well, we had hoped it wasn’t the case, but… if you are certain your powers are gone, then the Matrix is now the sole container of the Allspark’s energies.”

"Trust me. I’m certain. I can’t… I can’t feel any of you anymore or the power,” the redhead confirmed, looking down at her hands sadly. Sideswipe’s fingers touched her back the next moment in comfort and she leaned into them. Ratchet, on the other hand, looked up at the silver mech with alarm, and then made a quick glance between the two of them.

“You… the bond… it’s… broken?” he asked carefully, and the silver mech tilted his head.

“Not broken. It’s more like… blocked. It’s there… but very hard to find,” Sideswipe replied, his fingers wrapping around her slightly, and she grasped back.

“And you’re both alright? For certain?”

“Yes,” both spoke in unison, and the medic vented with relief.

“That would help explain why the Seekers keep asking about you—they can’t reach you through the Creation bond. They’re holding together well, too, so it must just be blocked in their case as well. I… I’m sorry. Both of you,” he replied, and the two smiled at him and then at one another.

“We’ll be okay, and my kids will be, too, once I speak with them,” Catherine spoke softly.

Ratchet’s optics dimmed a little, “It would do them good. They had been despondent with your absence… and the loss of their brother. It made them rebellious, too, it seems..”

“Slingshot,” she whispered, and then looked up at the medic sternly and with pain. “Ratchet, how many? How many did we lose?”

“Catherine,” Sideswipe began carefully, but she gripped at one of his panels to assure him she was fine. The medic paused only a moment before he answered.

“Seven. Beachbreak, Roll Bar, Scattershot, Longarm, Gears, your Seeker, and… Jazz.”

“Seven Autobots, and God knows how many soldiers—David and Alexander among them. Just… fuck. If only… Then maybe I could’ve…”

“You know that’s not true,” Sideswipe told her gently, lifting her up closer to him.

“But maybe if I… if I hadn’t done… then maybe... Maybe I could have stopped something or changed something or—or…”

Ratchet held up his hand, “Catherine, stop. I know what you’re trying to do. I’ve heard countless mechs and femmes say it, and I’ve thought it more times than I can remember, but I can tell you right now it’s not your fault. It never was and never will be. Regardless if you had the Allspark’s powers or not, they would have died.

“This is war. As much as we hate it—as much as we loathe it, ’bots die in war. Many ‘bots. I have lost more than I can count, and each has weighed heavy on my spark, too, but we cannot let it consume ourselves, Catherine. Do not let yourself think you could have changed something. It will only destroy you. The past cannot be changed, but we can continue to move forward into the future. It is all we can do, and it is what we must do, if not for ourselves, then for those that war has taken from us.”

“He’s right, Catherine,” Sideswipe added, pressing his cheek into hers gently. “You just have to keep moving—for both those that are gone… and those that are still functioning. We’re here for you, too. Always.”

She leaned into his touch, knowing both were right. She glanced between them as she let their words sink in, and, with a sigh, she nodded. The medic smiled softly and turned back to move and sort some more things. She looked back to Sideswipe then, whom smiled at her, too, and she pressed her cheek into his once more before she had him settle her onto his shoulder.

“Thanks, guys. A lot. I can’t promise I won’t think about it… but I’ll keep moving forward, like you said.”

“You’ll do fine, knowing you,” Ratchet mused as he turned back to them. “And if you want a starting point… Optimus would like to speak with you, Catherine. I would try to do so before your creations find you.”

“Uh, yeah, actually, that’d be a good idea. Thanks, Ratchet. We’ll see you later.”

He waved as they left and returned to his work while they moved through the halls. Sideswipe, like everyone else, knew the way to the Commander’s room. Again they passed by friends and comrades, whom waved and welcomed them, but let them be on their way. Word of their arrival was obviously passing fast, which meant her children wouldn’t be far behind. Thankfully, they reached the room soon enough, and Sideswipe let her down to go in alone once he’d opened the door. Then he leaned against the wall while she ventured into the darkened room.

Optimus, as usual, sat behind his desk, which actually looked more cluttered than usual. He looked busier, too. His optics were focused on the datapad in his hands, although she was without doubt he knew she had entered. The silver mech had knocked beforehand, and even if he hadn’t, she had a feeling the medic had already announced their arrival. Even so, he waited a few moments after she had reached his feet to lower his hand down and set her upon his desk.

Indeed, it was very cluttered, though not so much that she could not walk around. More than a few were turned on, but had been set aside in favor of the one he was reading at the moment. What was on it, she could not tell, but it was something serious by the way his optics were so focused and his mouth was set firmly. She leaned back and forth on her toes as she waited, and, thankfully, it wasn’t long before he set it down and he looked at her, his optics softening almost instantly.

“Greetings, Catherine. It is good to see you are well,” he rumbled, and she chuckled a little.

“Optimus, what did I tell you about being so formal?” she spoke, hoping that he did still consider their friendship.

To her relief, he smiled, “My apologies. I have been very busy with diplomatic work and have not had much time for informality. I trust your journey was safe?”

“Yeah, the pilots know what they’re doing. How about you? Er—well, how have things been?”

“As well as they can be now that the Decepticons have retreated. We have been able to heal and also mend damages with the humans, thankfully, although it has been slow. However, now that you have returned, I imagine it might proceed faster,” he replied, his flicker of a smile suggesting he was well aware of her talk with the president.

“I hope so. I’ll do my damned best, anyways. I owe it to you guys seeing as I bailed after Egypt,” she noted, shaking her head.

“You had your reasons,” he spoke gently, and she leaned back her head to take in a deep breathe.

“Really selfish reasons,” she began, turning her head back and pacing back and forth. “I shouldn’t have left. I should have been able to take it and stayed.”

He held out his hand to stop her, “Catherine, you lost not only your creation, but those you considered family. You have gone above and beyond anything we could have asked of you and did so willingly. You, alone, have stood by our side without falter when all others have doubted at some time, in some way. I do not think any less or condemn you for your actions. Even more, you have returned.”

“Thank-you, Optimus, really, for understanding,” she started, meeting his optics. “But even so I stayed away too long, and all of you have lost more than I have. It’s not right for me to wallow in self-pity. It’s like Sam said—shit happens, and by God it does, but I can’t let it stop me, so I won’t.”

“I’m glad to hear you say so. While some of the humans may be reluctant to listen to your words, I am confident you, of all people, can convince them to trust us.”

She grinned a little, “Well, it helps that I don’t have the Allspark’s power anymore. It’ll make them think I’m human now. And, um… speaking of which… Ratchet said something about the Matrix… I know it’s a change of topic, but I, mean, um…”

She said no more as the Autobot Commander’s chassis plates separating, revealing a brightly lit hole where his spark was cradled. However, instead of a straight bee line to it, an object sat in the way. He placed his hand before the hole, and the object obeyed, floating out and above his hand. It twirled in place, though never actually touched his metal digits. While its ability was amazing, the object’s appearance by itself was just as fascinating. It was curved on each end with the two points jutting out in opposite directions; one up, the other down. It was forged with an intricate design that involved gaps between the thick, metal wires that reminded her of archaic drawings of waves. And in the center, the frame jutted out in all directions, although merged at four pointed edges like a diamond. Encompassed within the metal container was a bright light—not unlike that which would emanate from her when her powers activated. It hummed, too, with a dull drone that was barely audible.

“So… It… it has my powers. And the knowledge Sam had? Together?” she inquired, her eyes wide with awe as he held it out before her, close enough to touch.

“I believe so. Ratchet informed me he told you of its powers with Elita… as for the knowledge… I am uncertain, but,” he mused, his optics narrowing slightly.

She tilted her head, curious, “What is it?”

“I cannot be sure, but… sometimes… I feel as though it speaks to me, but I cannot understand. Sometimes it is images—other times words, but they are scrambled; blurred… unfocused. Perhaps,” he began, his gaze moving to her. “Perhaps you may be able to understand?”

“It… it’s worth a try… I guess,” she replied slowly as she stepped closer. Hesitance came over her more than once as she moved. She was even reluctant to reach out, but she did so and grasped the cool rims of the metal, which was surprising as the glow within it was warm, yet the metal was wholly unaffected. She recalled the warmth as the same feeling as the power she had once summoned, and as such, she instinctively called out to the glow within the Matrix. However, despite her beckoning it did not move. It didn’t even flicker. It was still at her touch, and she could swear the glow had grown a little less warm. Regardless if it had happened or not, she knew the power no longer listened. It was no longer hers to command. She pulled away, shaking her head, and Optimus Prime nodded solemnly.

“Perhaps it is not yet time, but do not worry over it,” he spoke gently, and she was the one to nod this time.

“It’s okay,” she told him. “It’s better kept in your hands, anyways. Not to mention it belongs to a Prime. Anyways, getting back to more important things—I’m ready to start working whenever you need me. Although, I plan to do more than before. I’m going to have to work for both humans and Autobots, after all.”

“So I have been informed. As always, you have my backing. Smokescreen will be happy to help as well.”

She chuckled, “More like he’d be happy to take a break. Once he’s caught me up on everything, he’s free to take two months off.”

“I’ll be sure and let him know,” Optimus mused wryly. “Feel free to rest for now, though. You do not need to rush into your duties so quickly…”

“No, no, I should get going as soon as I can to work with the collateral damage with the public… but I wouldn’t mind waiting a day or two.”

“Of course. I imagine you have many friends you wish to speak to before you become too occupied,” he nodded and held his hand out for her.

She hopped on with a laugh, “Tired of me already?”

“Forgive me if I was wrong in assuming you wished to get going,” he hummed as he lowered her down, and she waved him off.

“I was just teasing. I do need to go meet with some others like you said. I’m guessing you’re pretty busy, though, right?”

“Unfortunately, yes, but it is not as terrible as it sounds. I look forward to our next meeting, Catherine. Take care of yourself.”

“I will,” she nodded, gave a friendly two-fingered salute, and trotted outside.

Sideswipe lowered his hand for her hand at once, watching her face for any signs of concern, but hers was a joyful expression so he smiled as he asked how it went. She told him it was just the same-old, same-old with Prime being Prime, and he laughed as he headed off, further away from the corridor between sides. She knew where he was heading, and let herself become both giddy and wary at the same time. She supposed she really didn’t need to—they were her kids. She knew she was being a paranoid freak, though, and sighed with annoyance the moment she realized it. When she told the silver mech he just laughed and assured her she was just being silly.

Sure enough, she felt that way as he pulled into a hanger, and there were the four Seekers standing with Chromia, Ironhide, Springer, and Brawn, and looking like they were having a good time. In fact, they were laughing and grinning as they playfully punched at Springer and even Ironhide looked happy to be around them, which Catherine had never imagined possible. Of course, it might have been one of those special moments, but that didn’t matter much once the silver mech caught their eye and they looked up. At once all four of their faces brightened greater than the sun and they almost fell over one another trying to scramble to her.

“Mom!” they cried out it unison, creating a semi-circle around the silver mech, whom—to his credit—was keeping calm and easy around them despite their crowding. She laughed happily as she let Silverbolt take her onto his hand and then nuzzled each and every one of them. They were thrilled at the contact and at once began to lavish her with adoring comments and how they were so happy she was back. And while she was preoccupied when them, the other Autobots, save for Sideswipe, departed, grinning with amusement at the young Cybertronians’ antics.

“You’re back! You’re back!” Fireflight squealed again, and the others quickly echoed him.

“Yes, I’m back, and I plan to stay for a very long time,” she replied, and their beaming grew brighter. “Please tell me you’ve all been behaving!”

They all nodded furiously, except for Silverbolt who did so gently and replied, “Of course, Mother. In fact, Ironhide and Chromia have taken us on as students, as has Springer. We have already learned a great deal in both ground and aerial combat.”

“Aww, that’s great, guys! Thank-you for being good while I was away. I know it was cruel for all of you, me being away for so long,” she sighed, but her children vehemently argued against the claim.

“No! You’re wrong!” Skydive huffed.

“Yeah! You’re not cruel at all, Mom!” Air Raid spoke next. “I mean, it sucked you were away, but we were okay!”

Fireflight nodded, “Yeah! Like Silverbolt said—we’ve been training and getting a lot better!”

“Still… I shouldn’t have left you guys especially when Slinshot…” she stared, her gaze dropping. The four’s gazes also fell, and the light-gray Seekers smiled sadly, but still kept her close. Sideswipe watched carefully, but did not sense any unease from them, and so let them be as Silverbolt looked upon their mother softly.

“It’s alright, Mother. We’re just glad you’re back. We missed you.”

“No, it’s not alright, but I’m going to make it up to you guys. From now on I’m going to be a better mom for you. I am going to be a little busy with work, but I promise I’ll spend more time and be there for you guys.”

All at once, her children perked up to the point of giddiness, and they even began to fidget around as such, their wings flexing up and down. She couldn't help smiling at how silly they became, expressing their joy with fast-paced sentences she almost couldn’t comprehend, while they also began to nuzzle her again. She could scarcely believe they were so forgiving when she had left them at such a terrible time.

“We can’t wait to show how much better we’ve gotten!” Air Raid laughed, pumping a green-armored fist.

“Yeah! Yeah! We can protect you from anything! You don’t have to worry about anything anymore!” Fireflight added, his blue wings fidgeting even more excitedly.

“Yeah! You won’t need that guy anymore!” Skydive added, pointed a black finger at Sideswipe, whom raised an amused optic ridge.

Catherine laughed loudly, “Well, now, that’s no way to talk about your other care taker!”

What?” they asked, and behind her, the silver mech cringed. Silverbolt was the one to not regard him with narrowed, unhappy optics, though even he pulled himself and Catherine away as if Sideswipe were a suspicious figure.

“Mom, you’re kidding, right?” the green-armored Seeker asked, not bothering to hide his disapproval.

“We don’t need him to take care of us, anyways!” the blue Seeker huffed, folding his arms.

“While that may be so,” she began, setting her hands on her hips in a ‘no-argument’ way, “he is still going to act as a care-taker along with me. He’s your… back-up, so to speak. He’ll make sure you don’t do something stupid when I’m not around.”

"But we don’t—“

Skydive,” she spoke sharply, and the almost-black Seeker recoiled, pouting. “Now, I know you don’t like it, but he will be helping you out, isn’t that right, Sideswipe?”

The silver mech huffed as he mumbled, “Yeah, yeah…”

“See? Now, don’t pout about it. Besides, he’s my spark mate, so he’s basically like the ‘father’ for you guys—“

What?!” Fireflight howled, throwing up his arms. “Oh, come on, Mom!”

“Fireflight, that’s enough,” Silverbolt chided, and his brother looked at him unhappily. “We all know it’s true—we could feel him through the bonds before it was… blocked. It is her decision, and we will respect it. Besides, we are still young, and Sideswipe is a formidable warrior. Ironhide praises him as much as he insults, and we may be able to learn from him.”

Catherine smiled at her largest creation, although the other three grumbled and refused to look at their brother, mother, or Sideswipe. The redhead grinned at their antics, glad to see they really were alright despite everything. She would hold true to word, though.

“Thank-you for being the voice of reason, Silverbolt. Looks like I was right in putting you in charge,” she mused, and her creations glowered even more at their brother. “So. If only to keep you all from trying to beat him to a pulp… what fun things do guys do around here?”

As if they were the magic words to break a spell, all three glowering Seekers make a one-eighty turn around and surrounded her excitedly. Again their words came so fast she almost couldn’t catch everything, and she certainly couldn’t help smiling and laughing as they went on and on. When she managed to look back at the silver mech, he was smiling, too, and if any worries remained with her, they vanished in the following moments.

It was good to be back.

 -------------------------------------------------------------

-O-

------------------------------------------------------------- 

The sun was low in the sky as the herd of Elephants moved slowly, making their way to the watering hole not far away. They were known for their memory, and certainly they remembered the way to the hole no matter where they went. They were also a species that feared little; there were few predators that dared attack their gargantuan forms. However, the four-legged creatures paused with wariness as the large, metal aerial craft rocketed across the sky and changed in ways they did not understand nor know. It landed with a thud and towered over them at its full height. Though the elephants had never seen such a creature before, their matriarch’s instincts made her lead the others away with great speed. They would not be drinking this night.

The alien creature saw their actions and snorted. Normally, it would have bathed the ground in their disgusting internal fluid and flesh, but it had no taste for it now. Not in the face of recent events. Rather, the metal figure was filled with disgust, betrayal, and rage. However, it was not so filled as to be consumed by it, and so reason was able to press its way through and keep weapons at bay as the creature approached the wrecked remains of a village, which now served as its lair. The metal figure paused, though, as another aerial craft sped towards the village, transformed, and landed nearby. The first alien regarded the second as it crawled forward and groveled.

“I have returned, Lord Megatron, and bring Energon,” the metallic alien rumbled and produced from the jet cock-pit on its chest a handful of cubes with more still remaining.

Megatron growled as he took the handful and downed them, “This is not enough, Starscream.”

“Forgive me, my Lord, but it is all that could be obtained from the abandoned facility,” the Seeker spoke carefully, and flinched only a little when the Decepticon leader turned sharply. If Megatron had aimed to strike his second-in-command it was stopped as two more signals appeared upon his internal scanners. One came along the land—a ground vehicle—and the other fell from the sky, a burning meteor, which struck with an earth-shaking thud. The ground vehicle reached them first and transformed with a frown upon its metallic face. Their fourth companion took only minutes to reach them, relying on their legs to make it over. The two newcomers bowed before the Decepticon leader, whom regarded them with less hostility than he had given the Seeker.

“Barricade,” Megatron rumbled, turning to the mech who had driven on the land. “Did you find the source of the signal?”

The mech scowled, “No. The place was empty.”

“You wasted three deca-cycles to come back with nothing?!” the Decepticon leader roared, charging at his soldier, whom braced himself. He was spared, though, as Megatron’s reasoning restrained him. While he detested failure, his conquest required soldiers, and Barricade was one of his best. He could not afford to lose him. Instead, he turned to Soundwave, whom was as silent as ever.  

“Could you have been mistaken, Soundwave?” he asked, though already knew the answer.

“Negative. Possibility: Decepticon awakened and moved. Course of action?” the mech replied at once.

“Send them a message. Lead them here.”

Soundwave nodded and, with a flash of light in his visor as a sign, it was done. Starscream stepped forward then, and Megatron’s optics glowered dangerously at the Seeker, his intentions for leadership well known.

“Lord Megatron… forgive my… impudence… but… what is our course of action?”

Before the larger Decepticon could answer, Soundwave spoke, “Suggestion available.”

“Speak, then,” Megatron replied.

“Access memory file 19.84.”

The Decepticon leader narrowed his optics as he went through his processor, searching for said file. It was an old one—so old he could barely believe he still had it. It was from long before the Allspark’s jettison and his unfortunate crashing upon this planet. He couldn’t even recall why he had saved such a file, but then he opened it and remembered everything. His optics widened only briefly, and then he grew suspicious. This was of a plan long since considered a failure. Yet, his loyal warrior was not one to bring up such archaic things without reason.

“Soundwave, what is the meaning of this?” he growled, but the mech showed no falter.

“Ark discovered. Plan applicable with alterations,” he replied, and Starscream snorted.

“Alterations, indeed! Surely the crew is dead!”

“Because you nearly destroyed their ship like a fool!” Barricade barked back quickly, and the Seeker aimed to lash out at him, but Megatron struck Starscream first. The second-in-command recoiled and hissed, but resigned to his leader’s wrath. It had been long ago, but he had mistakenly attacked the ship, though it had not been entirely his fault. Megatron had kept many secrets, and the ship had been one of them. Still, the Seeker seethed detesting the unfair treatment.

“What alterations?” the Decepticon leader hummed.

"Life source: required. Matrix: acceptable. Resources: needed; possible sources available.”

“The Matrix?” Barricade laughed. “Good luck getting Prime to help when it’s in his grasp. And what sources?”

“Homo sapiens.”

“The insects?” Megatron hissed.

Starscream glanced between his leader and Soundwave, “They have proven themselves to be... useful. While most are slave to the Autobots, many are willing to work for us in exchange for our… talents. I used a number of groups in this land for my own schemes once.”

“Which failed,” the ground-vehicle Decepticon smirked, and the Seeker spat an insult that only made the mech smirk more.

“Enough! Soundwave, how soon can we begin?” Megatron inquired, and a rare smile appeared on the communication mech’s face.

"At once, Lord Megatron.”

Barricade stepped closer, “My lord, my time with the Autobots allowed me to obtain much information on their bases and their administration that will prove useful.”

“Excellent. Starscream, return to the Nemesis, wake the troops and hatchlings, and bring them here. Soundwave, you and Barricade will find me these ‘useful’ humans and join them to our cause by any means necessary.”

“What of the missing Decepticon?” Starscream asked, and Megatron scowled.

“They will hear the signal and come, or we will find them and they will learn what it is to cross me! Now go!” he roared, and the Seeker bowed before taking off. Barricade and Soundwave bowed as well, and then transformed; one into a vehicular form and the other an alien craft. Megatron was left alone once more, and he turned to face the setting sun, which turned his optics an even deeper shade of red. A rumble echoed through his metal throat as he stood, thinking.

Long had the Autobots defied him his victory; long had he suffered defeat after defeat, and in this past battle he had suffered the worst. His once Master had betrayed him—lied to him of power. Now he knew better, though. Power could not be given. No, it had to be taken, and take it he would. Optimus would rue the day he had crossed him—had dared to defy his conquest. No longer would the battle be so one sided. He, too, would have these insects as his tools. He would wait as long as it took, and once their plan was initiated, the Autobots would be ended. And then—oh then, victory would be his, and the planet would burn.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.8K 2.3K 43
Nichole James has been medically discharged from the Marine Corps. She was in a ambush overseas. She is a heartless, ruthless killer. She is a soulle...
6.9K 312 22
Elizabeth Witwicky, the niece of Ron and Judy Witwicky and the cousin of Sam, finds herself rescuing an Autobot on a whim and joins the adventures of...
165K 4.8K 31
In which she would do anything to protect her brothers, and he would do anything to protect Κœα΄‡Κ€. Octavia would do anything for her two baby brothers...
21K 708 34
Lisa and Sam has survived high school, college and now they face the real world. The duo move to D.C in an apartment along with Carly the new additi...