The Rented Husband (Southern...

By MercyRose

Olivia Murray, a 29 year old successful attorney has had enough with her families intrusion on her personal l... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38 **Bonus Chapter**
Epilogue

Chapter 11

550K 6.2K 188
By MercyRose

 **Edited by krisgree***

“The Rented Husband”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

  Chapter 11

                “Will you stop that incessant fidgeting?”  Brody complained. 

                He glanced over at Olivia out of the corner of his eyes and had to work at hiding his smile.  He arrived at her condo at 5:00 on the dot to pick her up for the dinner with his mother and low and behold, she was ready to go, outfitted in an impeccable black cocktail dress that had him momentarily clamoring for words.   

                He was also thrown for an additional loop because based on his own past experiences, women were never ready when he told them to be ready, which was precisely why he had told her six, even though the dinner reservation wasn’t until seven.  That gave them thirty minutes leeway to get to the restaurant on time. 

                So he was pleasantly surprised to find her standing at the door, purse in hand and ready to hit the road.  This was like a whole new version of Olivia Murray that he had never seen before and he found that he rather liked this Olivia a lot.

                Now that they were in the car and on their way, he had begun to notice small details; details such as the little fact that Olivia couldn’t seem to keep still to save her life. 

                She started by nervously tugging at the hem of her dress, then she pulled out this little scrap of metal that he assumed was some sort of a mirror from her purse, first checking her make up, then her hair and now she was wringing her hands in her lap like a overwrought school girl getting ready to go out on her first date. 

                Olivia, realizing what she was doing, suddenly snapped her head in his direction.  “I can’t help it,” she hissed.  “You may be used to this kind of stuff but I on the other hand, am most certainly not.”  

                All afternoon Olivia had been able to do nothing but stress the entire time about tonight’s dinner with his mother.   Brody had played his part so beautifully in front of her sister earlier in the day that now she was fretting over the fact that she would be the one to end up screwing up this whole charade of theirs with his mother before it ever really had a chance to get started.   

                Brody pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant and found a spot near the front.  His smile turned into a frown as he started to process her words.  Turning off the ignition, he turned to Olivia who was now gazing outside the front windshield and chewing on her bottom lip.  “What exactly do you mean by I may be used to this kind of stuff?”  

                She let out an exaggerated sigh.  “This stuff,” she repeated and flung her hands up in the air in frustration when he narrowed his gaze on her.  “The lying to our parents, pretending to be married and pretending like we are going to have a baby for God sakes.  That kind of stuff,” she ranted and then let out a dramatic huff to make her point.

                Brody sat there and just watched Olivia for a minute.  He couldn’t help but notice the strawberry flush that had worked its way into her cheeks, giving her face color and sort of a hint of unbound sexiness that was naturally part of her appeal.  Her hair was done up in an elegant  French twist revealing her slender neck and for the first time he took in her transformation from the usual professional to evening decadence and found himself completely transfixed by the change.

                After several long minutes, he finally found his voice again.   Reaching out, he covered her hands that she was still wringing in her lap with his own and squeezed them to still the motion. 

                “Olivia, look at me,” he told her softly, the deep timbre of his voice both smooth and commanding at the same time, making it hard to refuse his request.

                Olivia continued to keep her focus on the front windshield of the car.  She felt his hands on hers and had frozen when he first touched her.  His hands were warm and comforting; all together unsettling and she had no idea what to think of that.  The one thing that she was sure of was that she was not ready to come face to face with Brody O’Connor.

                This time Brody sighed.  “Olivia,” he started and releasing one of his hands, he reached up and gently cupped her cheek, guiding her face so that she was forced to look up at him.  Once he had her full attention he asked her, “Olivia, answer me this one question.  Do you want to call this off?”

                Olivia closed her eyes and wished that this one man didn't have the effect on her that he was so obviously having.  She was supposed to be in control of her emotions.  That was precisely why she had chosen Brody for this job, so emotions wouldn't be a problem and if she had anything to do with it; they would not be a problem.  She would regain her control.

                I can do this, she told herself silently with steely determination.

                “No,” she finally breathed out after several long minutes of awkward silence.  Cautiously she opened up her eyes to meet the most tantalizing set of orbs that she had ever laid her eyes on staring back at her.  "Damn, those devil eyes of his," she cursed under her breath so that he couldn't hear her.

                Taking in a deep breath she spoke louder and told him, “I can do this,” and offered up a pinch of a smile.  “It’s just been a long day and my sister rattled my cage a bit, then seeing you so perfect with her, well… that had me a bit flustered.  What-,”  She had to pause for a second, unable to hold up under his careful scrutiny any longer, she adverted her gaze back out to the front to the windshield before continuing.  “What if I mess this all up?”

                “Ahh,” he said, now understanding.  Ms. Murray was first and foremost a perfectionist.  He knew that from her work alone and now she doubted herself.  A few stray hairs that had somehow slipped from her elegant hairdo caught his attention and without thinking he found himself reaching up and pushing them back behind her ear.  “You’ll do just fine,” he told her.  “Mom may come off a little overbearing at first but she really is easy to please.  Give her that award winning smile of yours and she will be putty in your hands,” he assured her.

                 Olivia had to laugh at that. “Putty, huh?” she said turning back around to face him.

                Brody was caught off guard once again by the sweetness of her expression when their eyes met.  Electricity crackled in the air between them, taking him by total surprise.  Gulping, he simply answered her, “Yeah.”

                The nerves that had been knotted so tightly in Olivia’s belly seemed to be loosening.  There was something about Brody, when he was near, that calmed her.  Maybe it was his confidence or maybe it was his arrogance, either way it soothed her like nothing before ever had.  That much, on this night at least, she was thankful for. 

                Then, for the first time tonight she looked at him, really looked at him.  She studied his strong jaw line and the high cheek bones that were a trait of his Native American ancestry, took in the dark lashes that framed his eyes and the cleanly shaven face that was remarkably more handsome that she had ever considered before.  She had always thought he was cute but in more of a play-boyish way rather than the maturity that she was seemingly viewing for the first time now.  He was down right sexy and as quickly as that thought entered her mind, she pushed it back out.

                This was supposed to be all a ruse, a role to play.  Brody surely thought no more of it than that.  It was plain to see that he liked his women of variety and she had to remember that.

                But if that was the case then why was he staring back at me like that?

                “Brody,” Olivia started, determined to put this all back into proper perspective and was instantly silenced when his lips brushed hers, not once but twice.

                It was a sweet kiss, nothing urgent, demanding or hungry; just a gentleness that stunned Olivia speechless.

                Brody slowly pulled back and this time he didn’t try to hide the smile begging to be set free.  He grinned and it stretched from ear to ear, “Come on Wifey,” he told her teasingly with a slight twitch of his lips.  “Let’s go meet mom.”

                It had been one hell of a struggle to fight back the urge to deepen the kiss with Olivia.  He knew that if he didn’t get out of the tight confines of the car that they were in then there would be no hopes of preventing him from ravaging that alluring mouth of hers so he quickly turned away from the temptation sitting just inches from him and stepped out of the car. 

                The cool night breeze splashing his face was already helping him to clear his mind as well as cool other body parts that had all of a sudden seemed strained against the zipper of his pants.  Taking in a large gulp of air, Brody adjusted his tie, walked around to the passenger side of his car and opened the door for her.

                He held out his hand and Olivia took it with ease, allowing him to help her out of the car and then closing the door behind her.  He placed his hand at the small of her back and guided her towards the front of the restaurant, continuing to take deep breaths of the medicinal night air in order to calm his raging libido. 

                Olivia felt his hand on her back and that one touch was like a brand, a white hot brand that she could feel all the way to her bones.  She let him lead the way and when he held the door for her, she stopped offered him a smile.  She was more determined now than ever to make this dinner go off without a hitch, come hell or high water.  This would be there second run though and just a taste of what it would be like in Hawaii.  She had to somehow make it work.

                “How may I help you?” the tall man posing as host asked the pair when they approached the front desk.

                “We have a reservation for three,” Brody spoke up, his hand resting easily on Olivia’s hip. “For the O’Connors,” he added.

                The host looked down at his list and then back up at the couple, smiling.  “Yes, yes…” he said excitedly.  “The other member of your party has already arrived and has been seated.  Follow me, please.”

                Olivia and Brody followed the host to a small candle lit table nestled in a quiet corner at the back of the restaurant.  Olivia noticed right off the regal woman whom stood up to greet them and smiled warmly back at her.  She was tall, with a short but sassy hairdo and a clear olive coloring.  Her stature told you right off the bat everything that you needed to know about Ms. Clarice O'Connor.  She was a no nonsense woman who lavished social status.  

                "Here we are," the host indicated with a nod of his head.  He stood to the side and let the couple pass, his smile never wavering once.  

                For the first time since they stepped out of the car, Brody let his hand drop from Olivia's back and went to his mother, kissing her on the cheek.  "Good evening mother," he said and pulled her chair out for her, allowing her to sit down.  Brody then maneuvered his way back over to Olivia and pulled out her chair as well, playing the perfect gentleman.

                Olivia took the seat that Brody offered and glanced up at Ms. O'Connor nervously.  

                "Mom, this is Olivia...Olivia O'Connor," Brody replied, taking Olivia's hand in his own.

                Clarice held out her hand to Olivia.  "This is such exciting news," she proclaimed.  "I can't believe that my only son took it upon himself to go and get himself married without saying a word to me. But my oh my, I can't say that I blame him though for wanting to keep you all to himself.  What a pretty little thing you are dear."

                Olivia felt the small reassuring squeeze of her hand that Brody had given her and beamed back at Ms. O'Connor.  "It's really nice to finally meet you too Ms. O'Connor.  Brody has told me many good things about you." 

                Clarice waved her hand frivolously in the air.  "Please, you don't have to flatter me so.  I know my son and I am sure that other than mentioning my name, he hasn't said too much about me, but please dear, call me Clarice.  Ms. O'Connor sounds much too stuffy coming from any daughter in law of mine."

                Brody flashed his usual charismatic smile and brought Olivia's hand up to his lips, pressing an innocent kiss to her dainty fingers.  "Guilty as charged," he murmured, grinning like a delinquent at his mother.  "We have had too many other things that I have been interested in when we had alone time rather than talk about you, Mother.  I figured that you would come up in all due time of course."

                Brody felt the stiff end of one high heeled shoe come down on his toe and winced. Through the stinging pain, he maintained his smile and squeezed his little hellcat's hand a little tighter in retaliation.  

                He had hoped to loosen Olivia up by using a little sexual insinuation on his part and it worked; she wasn't the least bit nervous anymore but now his damn toe was sure throbbing.

                "Of course," Clarice agreed watching the pair with approval.  She didn't miss the little eye contact that passed between the two and it was more than obvious to her that the chemistry between her son and his new wife was off the charts.

                "Excuse me, may I take your drink orders," a plump little waiter with a balding head that seemed to appear out of nowhere interrupted.

                Clarice was the first to speak.  "Yes, I would like to have your best Pinot Noir and a glass of ice water, please."  Folding her hands on the table, she then glanced in Olivia's direction and asked, "What about you dear?"

                Olivia let out a deep breath that she hadn't realized she had been holding, glanced down at the menu and then closed it shut.  "I think I'll have the same as you Clarice." 

                "No you won't, cupcake," Brody spoke up from beside of her.  He was still holding on to her hand and giving her a mischievous look.   

                Olivia turned to him and frowned.  "Why not?"

                "Not in your condition babe.  Sorry," he told her shaking his head.  "No alcohol for you sweetie."

                It took a minute for what he was saying to register with Olivia and just a second more for Clarice to catch on to the underlying meaning.

                "Seriously?" Clarice squealed, loud enough to bring the attention of the entire restaurant on their table.  "You’re...you’re going to have a baby.... I'm going to be a grandma?"  

                Olivia whipped her head from Brody to Clarice and all she could seem to manage was a curt nod with her lips stretched into a tight smile.  She knew this was the plan all along but when he said the words, spilled the beans or whatever, it knocked her to the wayside.

                Clarice stood and rounded the table, pulling up Olivia to stand in front of her.  She glanced at her belly and then back up at her face right before wrapping her in a bear hug, almost choking the very air out of her lungs.  

                "Thank you," she whispered at her ear and it was then that it hit Olivia for the first time, the ramifications of what would happen when everyone found out their ploy.  The fact that there was no baby, no real marriage.  This poor woman would be devastated and then what about her own family?  How would they feel when they learned of the deception?

                Clarice released her and Olivia sat back down, left alone to wallow in her own guilt.  Brody reached for her hand again and the dinner progressed and once again, she gave him a weak smile that lacked any real serious effort.

                Brody and his mother continued to chat idly while Olivia just pushed the food around on her plate. Suddenly she wasn't hungry anymore and she couldn't stop herself from thinking about everything that they had already put into motion.  

                She knew that it was too late now to stop that train now though.  Ashley knew and now his mother knew.  They were moving full steam ahead, the next stop, paradise hotel or heart break, depending on which way one would look at it.

                "Is something wrong?" Brody leaned in and asked Olivia, sounding more concerned than anything.  He saw her mostly full plate and had notice her lack of talking throughout dinner.

                "No, I'm fine," she replied too quickly and after seeing his frown, she turned around to face him and added, "Well, maybe a little tired is all.  It's been a long day."

                "Of course you’re tired dear.  That is natural when you’re in the delicate condition that you are in.  And look at me; here I am keeping you out all hours of the night, exhausting both you and my grandchild.  Brody, take her home and get her tucked into bed.  We will have plenty of more time to get to know each other in the months to come."

                Olivia blanched at the inference made to "her condition."  

                "Yes, you will mother," he stated, already standing up.  He started to pull out his wallet and his mother waved him off.  "I've got this covered,” she told him insistently.  "Just take that pretty little wife of yours home to get some rest."

                His shoulders fell but he knew his mother too well.  She wouldn't take no for an answer so he went over and gave her a hug.  "Thanks."

                Clarice patted his back and answered, "Thank you son.  Thank you for finally giving me the one thing that I have been waiting on for a while now.  Go on now, get her home."

                "The pleasure was all mine," Clarice said and then all but started to physically push them towards the door, "Now go on you two; I will take care of the bill and I'll call you later, just get her home so that she can rest properly."

                Brody laughed and led Olivia to the car.  The ride home was solemn.  He tried to talk to her a few times but she really did seem tired so he gave up his efforts and just enjoyed the calm of the night surrounding them.

                Twenty minutes later, they pulled up in front of her Condo and Brody parked the car.  Olivia sat there for a moment, seemingly lost in her thoughts.  He muffled a cough to get her attention and then said, "You did good tonight Olivia.  I mean, you really pulled it off.  This trip should be a piece of cake." 

                "Really?  You think it will be that easy?" Olivia remarked, sounding a little sarcastic. 

                He wasn't sure what caused the change in her mood tonight and it unnerved him a little.  Reaching out, he placed his hand on her thigh, only wanting to assure her when he looked up at the front door and stilled.

                "Liv?"

                She was still mulling over his mother's reaction to the news of a grandchild when he called out to her.  She turned to him and was confused by the question in his voice and noticed that he was staring at her front door. 

                "What is it?" she asked and followed his gaze, gasping at what she saw.

                "You did close and lock the door when we left, right?"

                "Yes!" she answered him and started to get out of the car.  Brody grabbed her wrist and pulled her down, "Keep your butt right here and call the police."  Not giving her a chance to respond, he slipped out of the car and headed towards the front porch. 

                Olivia glowered but grudgingly pulled her phone out of her purse and called the 911.  She waited all of five minutes after she hung up the phone and Brody had disappeared completely from her sight before muttering.  "Oh hell no, I ain't just going to sit here like some helpless floozie while he plays robo cop." 

                Opening the door, she slipped out into the cover of night and headed up to her own doorstep, male arrogance be damned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 120 17
Since forever it's always just been 13 year old Amelie and her Mum. They may not have been rich in money but they were rich in happiness and they wer...
348K 8.1K 22
Summary: Theodore knight your 26 year old hot billionaire. He never has had a girlfriend and doesn't believe in love. This will all change when his p...
15M 538K 68
Entangled Book #1 -Wattpad featured story- Ariana Jones is a sweet, innocent, and smart girl who has been battling a lot of issues all her life. She...
51.1K 1.5K 41
Taylor grew up without knowing her mother ever since her mother died after giving birth to her. Taylor had to live with her father and two older brot...