Chapter 23

**Edited by krisgee**

"The Rented Husband"

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 23

“Good evening ladies.”  Olivia stiffened at the sound of the charmingly familiar voice.  She shot a quick glance over at Ashley then looked to her youngest sister Caley, begging for assistance.

Ashley looked away from her sister and peered up at Brody with a wicked grin.  “Hello there stranger.  Where have you been hiding all my life?”

He let out a lusty chuckle that affected Olivia in the most adverse manner.  The sound seeped deep into her senses, covering her like a blanket.  He was standing behind her but she could feel him everywhere; in her skin, in her blood, even in her bones. 

The disconcerting feeling was too much for her to bear.  Lifting her cup to her mouth, she drained it dry and sat it back on the table with thump.  “Whew,” she fanned herself, looking everywhere but at the man that has seemed to turn her world completely upside down.  “Is it hot in here or what?” she exclaimed.

Seth appeared on the other side of the table.  “It’s just you Liv,” he answered her question.  Placing his arms on his wife’s shoulders, he gave them a gentle squeeze.  “And Mrs. Wells, what do you mean by asking Brody here and I quote, ‘Where have you been hiding all my life’?” 

Ashley’s grin widened as she relaxed underneath his hands.  “Just being friendly to my handsome new brother in law,” she replied, her words taking on a slight slurry quality.  “Someone in this family has to be nice to him after the way Daddy treated him.”

Seth leaned down so that his warm breath blew across her cheek.  “Now I have heard of being nice Ash, and I’ve heard of flirting.  You my dear wife, are flirting.” 

She let out a bubbly laugh that sang to the heavens.  “Why Seth, are you jealous ?”

He snorted a manly grunt; his golden eyes, peering up in Brody‘s direction.  “Me jealous of him?  Not likely.  And you my dear,” he said, firmly placing a wet kiss on her cheek, “Are well and drunk.”

She giggled, “Yeah, I am, aren’t I?”

 “Upsy daisy.”  Seth placed his hands under her arms and pulled her up into a standing position.  “Are you going to be able to walk to the room?”

Another girlish giggle escaped her lips.  “As long as you have your guns wrapped around me, I’ll get there just fine.”

Seth shook his head.  “Boy, you’re going to be feeling this one in the morning and you know that the first rehearsal is scheduled for eleven, right?”

Ashley twirled her finger listlessly in the air.  “Eleven?  Rehearsal?”  Her head lolled over to the side. 

“Yup, you are definitely going to feel this one baby.”  In one smooth move, Seth lifted her off her feet and into his arms.  “Let’s get some coffee in you to try and sober you up a bit.”  She only giggled in response. 

He turned to Caley.  “Why don’t you come with us and I’ll drop you off at your room on the way.”

Caley looked as if she was about half asleep.  She had her head in her hands, propped up on the table.  “Okaaay,” she drawled. 

He glanced up at Brody.  “I assume you can take care of that one,” he said looking pointedly down at Olivia who was staring at her empty glass.