Junkhead

By WacksterJackster

Mike Starr visits Layne Staley on April 4, 2002...the day before his real life demise. Can Layne Staley's ba... More

Godsmack
Get born Again
Unwanted Reunions
Confusion
Remembering Demri
Oh the Joys of Rehab
Got Me Wrong
Group Therapy
Little Blue Friends...
Take My Hands Before I Kill
So Unsure, We Reach For Something Strong
Fuck Up
The Relapse Unfolds
Its Hard to Start Things Over
Depression
Haunted Memories
Hidden Talent
Betrayal
White is Pure
Dirt
Self Hatred is Cold as ICE
Withdrawal
Benzodiazepine
Pin-Prick
Nod Out
Salvation
Another Chance
Change of Scenery
History
Collision
It's Never Too Late to Say You're Sorry
Temptation
Angry Chair
Friends & Family
De Ja Vu
It's Your Decision
Moving On
The End of A Nightmare
❤️❤️❤️

Fight the Battle, Win the War

241 14 2
By WacksterJackster

Mike & Layne ❤️❤️❤️ R.I.P.

^^^Mike looks freaking IRRESISTIBLE in this photo omfg!!!

I thought it would take me longer to update but then BOOM random ideas lol.

*******

The three of them veered through the trails & into the grass.  Briana was taking lead, walking at a brisk pace as she carefully criss-crossed past the tomb stones.  When she finally found the one she was looking for, she immediately fell to her knees & hugged the hunk of marble.  Tears streamed down her face.

"Happy birthday, mom," she whispered.  Her hand swept across the chiseled in lettering.  Her face was turning red from trying her best not to break down bawling.

Layne got down on his knees next to her and wrapped his arms tight around her, the bouquet of violets and lilies still in his hand.  "It's gonna be okay, babe, I'm here for you," he whispered in her ear.  He bit back his own tears when she started breaking down sobbing.  His calloused hand rubbed her back lightly as he turned up to share a look with Mike.

Mike just stood there with his arms crossed awkwardly.  His sunglasses concealed his eyes so no one could see how uncomfortable he actually felt.  He wanted to be supportive, but watching all of this made his own thoughts darker.

Briana slipped her purse off from her shoulder & pulled out a folded note from it.  She pressed a kiss onto the paper before grabbing a rock & setting the letter down next to her mother's tomb stone.  She nodded at Layne, queuing him to help her stand up.

Layne kissed her & wiped the tears from her eyes.  "You okay, Bre?"

She puffed out air & shrugged.  "I'm used to it," she muttered.  "Just really miss her at times..."  Those green eyes quickly glanced over at Mike.  She could tell he was getting triggered by all of this.  She turned back to Layne & gripped his hand.  "Let's head back.  I gotta be at work in the next hour."

Layne nodded & started heading back with her to their car.  His eyes kept wavering back at Mike.  He knew something was stewing in him.  He could tell that watching Briana get upset like that made him worse, but he didn't want to leave Mike alone at the house.  He didn't know if he would call one of his 'friends' to give him a ride to go out & score.

On the drive home, Briana blasted the radio.  She wasn't in the mood to talk about her mother.  She might be five years clean, but that doesn't mean she isn't an addict anymore.  The death of her mother was her main trigger.  Talking about it would only make it worse.

When they got back, Briana quickly got ready.  She tied her hair tight up in a bun & already had her scrubs on.  Layne tried to coax her into eating the dinner he had made for her before leaving, but she refused.  She was too upset to eat.

"I love you," Layne said to her at the doorway.  He kissed her softly on her cheek, rubbing her shoulder.  "If anything happens or if you get upset, don't be afraid to call home, okay?" he asked her, his light blue eyes softening.  "I'm worried about you..."

A small smile tugged on her face.  She gave him a tight hug & pecked him on the cheek.  "I'll be okay, honey."  She peered around the door, brow curled when she couldn't see Mike from where she was standing.  "Just keep an eye on Mike, okay?  I'd be more worried about him if I were you..."

Layne nervously picked at his thumbs as he watched her slip away from the door & jump into her jeep.  When she disappeared down the road, Layne shut the door & turned back.  Anxiety pumped fast within his chest as he peered around the house.  It was eerily quiet.  Too quiet.

Layne chanted prayers over and over in his mind not to see Mike doing anything stupid in the spare bedroom.  When he finally reached Mike's door, his eyes watered.  He couldn't open it, the door was locked.

"Mike?" Layne called through the crack.

Sounds of crinkling plastic & thumps of a dresser door being pushed shut immediately commenced.  "Yeah?!" Mike called back.

"Unlock the door," Layne growled.

"I'm kind of ummm NAKED?!" Mike shrieked back.

Layne rolled his eyes.  "I don't care.  Wouldn't be the first time I've seen your bare ass."  He jiggled the door knob.  He felt his heart flutter in his chest when he heard more sounds of plastic.  "Mike, OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR!"

Mike unlocked the door & swung it open.  His eyes were glazed over & red, anger stricken on his face as he stared daggers at Layne.  "It's fucking OPEN, are you happy now?!"

Layne shoved past Mike.  He stomped over to the dresser & attempted to yank the drawer open.  Mike grabbed his arm, his face now stained red with rage.

"Why do you & Briana constantly go through my shit, huh?!" Mike spat.  He pushed Layne away from him, not even caring to see Layne tumble down on the ground next to his bed.  "I'm not fucking 16, I'm an ADULT.  I don't appreciate you guys going through my stuff!"

Tears stood in Layne's eyes as he analyzed Mike.  His hair was tangled & matted.  All he had on was a pair of torn jeans.  It was obvious that he was on something.  His pupils were dilated & eyes were glassy.

"What are you taking, Mike?" Layne asked.

Mike groaned, his hands now clenched into fists.  "I'm not on anything, you fucking idiot!  Why can't you just LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Layne's eyes shifted back to his dresser.  He licked his lips anxiously.  "What's in the drawer, Mike..."

"For fuck's sake, Layne, NOTHING!"

Layne raised a brow at him & slowly stood up.  "If there's nothing in there, then there shouldn't be a problem with me checking it to make sure."  He walked back to the dresser.

"IM TIRED OF YOU GOING THROUGH MY SHIT!" Mike shouted.  His eyes bled terror.  He ran infront of his dresser.  "You're not going through my shit."

Layne narrowed his eyes at him.  "Mike.  If you don't own up to having dope here, Bre & I are going to kick you out.  Do you really want that to happen?  Is this actually worth it?"

Mike rolled his eyes.  He sighed, defeated.  He tugged open his second dresser drawer, tossing clothing onto the ground.  He handed Layne a wooden box.  Tears of torture stood in his eyes as he slipped away from Layne, collapsing down on his bed.

Shaky, nervous hands flicked the latch on the box.  Layne couldn't stop the tears when he saw what was in it.  A few morphine patches, some hydrocodone, & five 10 milligram valiums.  He chewed on his bottom lip, staring at it for what seemed like an eternity.  His mind was split in two.  He didn't want the drugs, he knew that when he was an active addict he was miserable.  But he wanted the drugs.  Because they quieted down his thoughts.  They made things simple for him, temporarily anyways.

His hands shook so badly that Mike's box clashed down onto the ground.  Layne fell onto Mike's bed, covering his face with his hands.  He sniffled back a few tears.  "How the heck did you sneak this shit in here, Mike?"

Mike couldn't look at him.  "My guitar case..."

Layne shot him a look.  "I thought it was weird when I saw you holding onto it like it was some freaking million dollar baby."  His brows furrowed, turning back to glare at the drugs on the carpeted floor.  "Just...just fucking WHY?  Why did you do that, Mike?  You want to recover, don't you?!"

Mike sat up on the bed, rubbing his temples.  "It's uncomfortable..."

"What is."

He gulped back his nerves.  He really hated talking about his feelings.  To him it just proved he was weak.  Still, he had to be honest with Layne.  He was the only friend he had left.  "It's uncomfortable being sober, man.  I don't know...  It's just...  I don't feel right."

Layne raised a brow.  "It's because you're actually feeling."

"I know," Mike sighed.  "It's horrible, Layne.  I'm even more depressed than I was before."

"Your brain is healing, Mike, it takes time.  You've only been sober for going on three weeks."

Mike scratched his scalp nervously, his eyes on the pile of drugs.  He licked his lips, eyes watering.  "So it'll get better...?"

Layne nodded.  "You just have to be patient.  I mean, look at me," he said.  He turned to Mike & smiled at him.  "I haven't been this happy in years, Mike...  It's worth it."

"What should I do with it, then?" Mike asked, nodding at the pharmaceuticals.

Layne blinked.  "You're going to have to flush them down the toilet & throw away the box."

Mike groaned.  "...can I do just a few more lines of--"

"NO," Layne barked.

Mike sighed & nodded.  "Guess you're right..."  He slowly got up from the bed, bending over & picking up all of the drugs.  Tears were streaming down his face as he tapped into the restroom.  Layne stood in the doorway, watching him as he hesitated to throw them away.  He didn't say anything, though.  He knew this was the hardest thing he'd ever gone through in his life.

Finally, Mike squeezed his eyes shut & dropped the dope into the toilet.  He quickly flushed it.  Almost instantaneously, he fell to his knees, his head in his hands.  He was bawling.

Layne slid over to him & wrapped his arm around him.  Tears were falling down his face, too.  "I'm so proud of you, Mike," Layne finally squeaked.  He wiped away his tears, analyzing the distraught look on Mike's face.

"I'm sorry for lying to you..."

Layne shook his head.  "Do you remember how many times I lied to you?!  Come on, man, you know I wouldn't hold that against you.  This is tough shit."

Mike grabbed tight onto Layne & cried more.  "It's just so fucked up, Layne, it's all I think about."

Layne nodded.  "I know, Mike.  I know..."

"My fucking dreams are torturing me.  And I can fucking SMELL it, Layne, I smell it all the fucking time..."  He sobbed again, his arms wrapping even tighter around his best friend.  "It's driving me insane."

"You need to tell me when this shit happens, Mike."  Layne pulled away from him, sniffling back more tears.  "You can't just keep this inside, of course you'll go crazy."

Mike nodded & stood up.  He walked with Layne over to the box on the ground.  They both decided to head outside & start a bon fire.  They watched as the wooden box burned away into ash.  And as it disintegrated into nothing, something filled the void within Mike's heart.

He wasn't alone.

He hasn't been alone this entire time.

He had his best friend by him all this time, all he needed to do was talk.  It relieved him to recognize this.  And it gave him a sense of hope that he hadn't felt in years.

He wasn't alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 275 21
Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley of Alice in Chains are best friends and did everything together, from playing practical jokes on each other to endang...
10.8K 472 14
Jerry makes a wish to go back in time when Layne is still alive, and his wish may just come true.
4.3K 78 16
•• Eddie vedder ○ ||"You're alive! You're fucking alive!"|| ||"you showed up?"|| ---- Charlotte Ament, Jeff aments little sister, was a sweet and nic...