The Divine Lament (Swan Queen)

By luciensol

A visitor comes to Storybrooke and suddenly everyone's lives are changed. Could this mysterious man be a bles... More

Fall From Grace
The Morning After
Strange Introductions
Confrontations
Building Foundations
Strangers & Old Friends
Economics & Strategy
Compromising Emotions
Royals, Witches & Pot Roast
Unearthly Commands & Regrets
A Spy Kids Adventure
Look Who's Coming to Breakfast
First Dates & Hellish Encounters
Passion's Folly
Undeniable Temptation
Unforeseen Discoveries
Interventions
Equestrian Games
Teamwork
Unexpected Allies
Confessions
Coming to Terms
Night Terrors
Deal With the Devil
Divine Lament
What Lies Beneath
Showdown
Love Hurts
Breaking Down Walls
The Day After
All Good Things Must End
The Reckoning Pt. I
The Reckoning Pt. II
A Debt Paid in Sacrifice
Revealing Truths
Surprise Guest

A New Beginning

440 13 2
By luciensol

That night, Gold took Cora home with him to begin their new life together. He would have to explain many things to help her to integrate within the community.

Mary Margaret and David also went home, both relieved that the danger was finally over. Their small family was becoming larger and Mary Margaret was hopeful that the future looked brighter.

Emma chose to remain with Regina that night and many nights after. She spent so much time at the mansion that Henry told her to stop being a coward and just move in. Regina agreed and presented Emma with her own key.

Although it took several trips, Emma finally gave in and brought over the last of her belongings. Her constant fear of waking one morning to find she was no longer wanted faded as she was greeted each day with Regina's smile and a kiss good night as they went to bed.

As the months egged on, Emma proved herself and stuck to her promise. She tended to Regina's every need as the pregnancy progressed. There was no craving that was not satisfied no matter how late at night or early in the morning.

Mary Margaret too proved helpful soothing Regina's fears with each new kick or sudden pain. The young queen was pleased she could finally help her former stepmother get through hard times. She was even happier to join in the laughter as she and Regina both ridiculed David and Emma as they toiled with the task of putting together the crib. Mary Margaret was in tears when Regina whispered that she was quite capable of using magic but instead preferred to watch the Charming intellect at its finest.

Cora had surprised everyone the most. She had certainly kept her word and done her best to show Regina she had changed. She imparted encouraging words when needed or simply remained quiet to lend a sympathetic ear.

But no one was as surprised as Emma the day she had gone to ask the matriarch for Regina's hand in marriage. After several coaching lessons from David, Emma performed an adequate rendition of the Enchanted Forest custom. Cora, for her part, only put the Savior through a mild scare before accepting with a hug and smile.

That same day, Emma had rushed to her parents' apartment to share with them the good news. Then collapsed on the couch in sheer terror over how she would go about proposing to Regina. Her worries stemming from Regina's terrible experience with her last marriage and the prospect that she may not ever want to get married again. Mary Margaret held her daughter's hand, then kissed her cheek and simply told her to ask. In her heart, she knew Regina would accept because not only did she love Emma but also this time she was given a choice.

Therefore, on a clear Spring day, the Mills and Charmings were all gathered at the stables for an unplanned picnic. Regina had tried that morning to stay home feeling a bit uncomfortable with her weight gain but relented with Henry's pleads to come watch him ride. Never wanting to deny her son, she had agreed with a small smile.

Regina was confused when she noticed all the people who were present at the stables. She understood why his grandparents would want to see Henry ride, but why were Ruby, Belle, Tinkerbell and even the pirate was there as well. She suddenly forgot her concerns when Mary Margaret led her to a comfortable chair where she could rest her tired feet.

Henry came running over, kissed his mother on the cheek before telling her to keep a close eye on him as he came out onto the field. He did not want her to miss anything. She nodded her head proudly and promised she would. With a bright smile, Henry waved to everyone and ran back towards the stables.

"Where is Emma?" Regina asked looking around her.

"Oh, she's around here somewhere." Mary Margaret replied with a sly grin.

"Well I do hope she hurries or she will miss our son running his first course." Regina huffed.

"Oh dear, stop nagging. The poor girl will be here soon." Cora said as she sat in a seat on the other side of Regina. An umbrella held above her head.

"And why are you dressed like that?" Regina questioned as she looked over her mother's attire.

Cora wore a long crimson gown similar to those she wore in court. Not only was it inappropriate for walking through the muddy grounds, it was certainly too warm and the older woman would soon be uncomfortable.

"I could ask you the same thing. Really Regina, would it kill you to dress up every now and then?" Cora mocked her daughter's choice for a simple sundress.

"Aside from the fact that we are all at a stable, I am also very pregnant and wish to not simmer in my own sweat." Regina indignantly replied.

"Suit yourself. Just remember I warned you." Cora grinned.

"What on earth are you talking about?" Regina exclaimed.

"Regina, never mind Cora. She's just not used to how we do things here. Isn't that right Cora?" Mary Margaret glared.

Cora catching the irate look on the brunette's face decided it best to simply nod and remain quiet.

David walked over and took a seat beside Mary Margaret.

"Is everything ready?" Mary Margaret leaned over and whispered.

"As ready as it ever will be." David smiled.

Suddenly two dwarves walked out of the stable, both unusually dressed and carrying trumpets. They took long strides until they were a few feet from the door. Lifting the trumpets high they both sounded a reverie.

"Since when have they begun announcing the riders? Is this your doing Snow?" Regina asked.

"Well we thought we would bring a little Enchanted Forest tradition today." Mary Margaret smiled.

Regina shrugged her shoulders and continued to watch. A large smile coming to her lips as she watched her son, dressed in an elegant black long vest highlighted with silver brocade. His head held high as he and his horse entered the field first.

"My little prince." Regina gushed, pleased that Henry was wearing her Royal Family's colors.

Then the trumpets sounded once more and Regina gasped nearly falling from her seat as she beheld the next rider.

Emma sat mounted on a white steed dressed also in a long vest, but hers was a brilliant white with elegant gold brocade. The horse also decorated in its own finery of gold.

"I have seen no finer prince." Cora whispered as she smiled at Regina.

Regina was speechless as she watched Emma make her way over to where they sat. Despite trying to keep a stern look, Regina could see the terror in Emma's eyes with riding on such a large animal. She giggled, but felt her heart warm at the knowledge that the blonde was conquering her fear because of her.

Ruby, who had stood quietly from the sidelines, made her way forward to grasp the horses' reins. Belle then presented a small stool to help with Emma's dismount.

Emma cautiously stepped down from the horse, grateful for Belle's quick hand. She nodded her head towards the librarian who winked back.

Cora stood from her seat, then noticing Regina still sat in hers, reached over and helped her daughter stand. Grasping her by the elbow, she walked her out to meet Emma. However, taking one look at Emma's elegant costume, decided to interfere one last time. With a wave of her hand, Regina was dressed in an elegant pale green gown, her hair loose about her shoulders.

Regina suddenly aware of her mother's magic, looked down at herself. Yet instead of becoming angry, she squeezed her mother's hand and mouthed the words thank you.

Emma's breath caught in her throat as she laid eyes on Regina. Although she had always found the older woman beautiful, looking at her now she could see the radiant Queen. She shook her head for focus and took a deep breath before beginning.

"Pardon me, Your Majesty. I wish to speak with you if I may?" Emma bowed.

"You may proceed." Regina smirked before inclining her head.

"I am the Savior and the daughter of Queen Snow White and Prince Charming. I am also Emma Swan, Sheriff of Storybrooke. But in fact, I am really just a woman and a mother to our young son Henry. I have no riches or lands to offer. I am not well bred and as you have pointed out repeatedly, I am fairly educated. I cannot guarantee you a life in a palace or servants at your beck and call. What I can guarantee you is a life full of laughter and challenges. A home filled with warmth and love. And most of all, my heart. 'Cause although you can never remove it from my chest, it's been yours all along." Emma took a step closer and dropped to her knee. "Please do me the honor of choosing to become my wife."

Regina held her hands over her mouth, her sobs bursting to escape. She looked over to her mother.

"This is your choice, darling. Accept only if you wish." Cora stated.

Regina nodded before falling to her knees in front of the blonde. Emma opened her mouth to question Regina's motive but was silenced by two delicate fingers.

"I cannot guarantee you a life without its fair share of hard times. I bring to you a past filled with my misdeeds and regrets. You will be shunned by many for your choice. However, I can guarantee that I will do my best to love you every day of my life. To be a better person for youand for our children. And although my heart has been darkened, whatever light is left there belongs to you. I would be honored to choose you if only you will do me the honor to choose me." Regina replied.

Emma clutched her hands to Regina's cheeks.

"I guess you're stuck with then, Your Majesty." Emma smiled.

"It appears we are stuck with each other, My Knight." Regina replied.

They leaned into one another and kissed. Their mouths devoured one another's of breath and sound.

"That's my girl!" David shouted before swinging Mary Margaret around in his arms.

Everyone began to clap and shout. Ruby grabbed Belle in her arms and kissed her.

"I say this calls for a drink." Hook drank from his flask as he sat beside Tinkerbell on the fence.

"I second that motion." Tinkerbell replied as she swiped the flask from his hands to drink.

Hook laughed before taking the fairy into his arms.

"It seems your daughter will be married again." Gold said as he stood beside Cora.

"Our daughter has finally found happiness." Cora replied as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

Gold's eyes widen at Cora's words.

"Calm yourself. What I meant was she is more your daughter then she ever was Henry's or mine. Although your methods were questionable, you have been with her from the beginning and she became strong despite it. And you cannot tell me you do not care for the girl. I know you too well Rumple." Cora stated.

"I regret many things, but none more than what I did to that young girl who summoned me that night. However, I promise you to do better." Gold replied.

"And so we both will." Cora smiled.

Henry came running towards his mothers, throwing his arms about both their waists.

"This means we're a real family now?" Henry asked.

"That it does kid." Emma replied as she ruffled his hair.

"So when you get married, will mom be Mrs. Swan?"

"Don't be absurd Henry. Emma will be a Mills." Regina replied matter-of-factly.

"Oh no, I'm not. Emma Mills just doesn't roll off the tongue." Emma countered.

"And Regina Swan does?" Regina huffed.

Henry took a step back as he observed his mothers arguing. He shook his head and laughed, strangely comforted by the scene.

"You look rather handsome Henry."

Henry turned to find Paige standing behind him. He smiled and puffed out his chest.

"Thanks. It was all part of the ceremony." Henry replied.

"Well I like it. Even though I like the way you dress other times too." Paige said as she blushed.

Henry smiled before reaching out his hand to take hers. He led her towards the picnic area to get something to drink, the sound of his mothers bickering fading in the background.

The morning of July 20th, found the entire Mills and Charming clan nervously awaiting any news in the sitting room of Storybrooke General.

David was awoken by a frantic call from Emma that Regina's water had broken and that they were heading to the hospital. He quickly made the necessary calls to inform the others and had then headed out with his wife in tow.

Hours later and they were all still waiting. Mary Margaret had reassured David that labor could take hours despite how quickly she had given birth to Emma. Cora added that she had been in labor with Regina for half the day. Henry shook his head thinking how glad he was that he was not a woman.

Hook and Ruby shared the flask between them while Belle and Tinkerbell played a game of cards.

Gold paced the floor wringing his hands, grumbling under his breath how he could speed the delivery with magic, until Cora explained for the hundredth time that he could do no such thing.

David had decided to go and pester the nurse again when he nearly collided with Whale.

"Well?" David exclaimed.

"You will be happy to know mother and child are doing well. Congratulations." Whale replied.

David whooped before grabbing the doctor. Whale was surprised but returned the hug patting David on the back.

David took his wife into his arms and held her tight. Cora smiled and grabbed Gold's hand in hers, clutching it.

The others all jumped and hugged one another, celebrating the new arrival.

"When can we see them?" Mary Margaret asked.

"You may go now but please do not stay long, Regina does need her rest." Whale instructed.

"You go honey. I know Emma would want to see you." David said.

"Yes darling you as well. Regina needs her mother." Gold reiterated.

Cora and Mary Margaret walked arm in arm down the hall, then opened the door to Regina's room softly. Both women gasped as they came upon the serene scene.

Emma sat in a chair beside Regina's bed, lovingly gazing at the new mother and child. Regina was simply glowing as she held her baby close to her chest.

Mary Margaret stepped closer and stood beside Emma. She placed a hand on her shoulder, which Emma clasped with her own. Cora walked over towards Regina and placed her hand gently on her daughter's arm.

"Hello mother." Regina said as she turned a tear stained face to Cora.

"Are you alright dear?" Cora asked concerned.

"I have never been happier." Regina replied. "I would like you to meet someone."

Regina uncovered the blanket revealing a small head and turned the baby towards the two older women.

Emma leaned forward and gently took the small hand within her two fingers.

"Please say hello to Evangeline Swan-Mills." Emma announced proudly.

"She is beautiful Regina." Mary Margaret sobbed.

"Absolutely perfect darling." Cora cooed.

"Yes she is." Regina replied looking down at her daughter as Emma leaned forward placing a kiss on her head.

Epilogue

Cora walked up Mifflin Street carrying a bag filled with treats and gifts for her granddaughter. Though she had been admonished several times by Regina to refrain from doing so, she refused to stop from spoiling Evangeline. Her reasoning being that if the child had been born in the Enchanted Forest, she would have been showered by the nobles there. Since there was none here in Storybrooke, Cora felt it was her duty to take up the task.

Entering past the gate, she made her way into the garden. She stood there for a moment and simply stared at the young girl playing in her sand box. Cora would always be in awe by the child's beauty. A head of dark golden curls falling about a cherub face that always bore a smile. Her eyes the brightest of blues twinkled as if filled with fairy dust.

The little girl, now two, jumped from her seat and ran in Cora's direction.

"Nana!" Evangeline shouted her arms outstretched.

"My beautiful girl." Cora replied as she scooped Evangeline into her arms, kissing her atop her head.

"Good morning Nana." Evangeline greeted.

"Good morning. And how did you know I was here?" Cora questioned, as she was sure she did not make her presence known.

"I was told." Evangeline said before indicating she wished to be put down.

Cora watched as the little girl ran back to her sand box and began to chatter away. She stepped closer and looked about her wondering whom was she speaking with.

"Darling who are you talking to?" Cora said as she bent down.

"To the sparkly one." Evangeline answered with a shrug.

"Oh dear, are we infested with pixies? Those infernal creatures are nothing but a nuisance. They will lie and steal your prized possessions." Cora stated as she searched for the flying creatures.

Evangeline laughed as she stood in front of her grandmother.

"No silly. Not pixies, Nana. Look." Evangeline grabbed her grandmother's chin with her small fingers and directed her towards Regina's rosebush. "Can't you see?" She whispered.

Cora squinted her eyes and startled at the sight of a faint glowing outline just in front of the bush.

"What am I looking at?" Cora asked as she protectively put her arm around Evangeline.

"That's father. He just came by to say hello." Evangeline replied before waving.

Cora stared speechless, unable to tear her gaze from the bush. Then suddenly the light disappeared.

"Nana, I'm hungry." Evangeline said as she rubbed her tiny belly.

Cora smiled as she lifted the little girl into her arms.

"Then let us go inside and see what your mother has made." Cora replied.

Evangeline nodded as she threw her arms around Cora's neck. Cora reached the porch and opened the door. Just before stepping inside, she turned her head to look over her shoulder at the bush once more.

"Thank you." Cora whispered before walking inside the mansion.

x

x

x

x

To be continued in The Divine Metamorphosis

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.8K 2.1K 13
Emma Swan is sent to camp for a school year. They teach you and you learn stuff. Regina Mills goes every year and now she meets Emma. G!p
44.7K 1.4K 12
What if both Emma and Regina went to New York with Henry once Peter Pan had enacted his curse? *SwanQueen fanfiction *You have to have watched Once U...
54.8K 1.7K 12
Swan Queen AU. The curse breaks and this is what happens to Emma and Regina after. PS this story is my baby and my first SQ story...please nice to it!
99.8K 3.2K 70
If OUAT characters chatted SwanQueen