The Divine Lament (Swan Queen)

By luciensol

A visitor comes to Storybrooke and suddenly everyone's lives are changed. Could this mysterious man be a bles... More

Fall From Grace
The Morning After
Strange Introductions
Confrontations
Building Foundations
Strangers & Old Friends
Economics & Strategy
Compromising Emotions
Royals, Witches & Pot Roast
Unearthly Commands & Regrets
A Spy Kids Adventure
Look Who's Coming to Breakfast
First Dates & Hellish Encounters
Passion's Folly
Undeniable Temptation
Unforeseen Discoveries
Interventions
Equestrian Games
Teamwork
Unexpected Allies
Confessions
Night Terrors
Deal With the Devil
Divine Lament
What Lies Beneath
Showdown
Love Hurts
Breaking Down Walls
The Day After
All Good Things Must End
The Reckoning Pt. I
The Reckoning Pt. II
A Debt Paid in Sacrifice
Revealing Truths
Surprise Guest
A New Beginning

Coming to Terms

242 9 0
By luciensol

Emma sat on the bench watching the tides crash against the ships hulls. She lifted her beer and drank what remained in the bottle before tossing it against the pier's railing, shattering it. However, seeing the mess she made, she flicked her wrist making the shards disappear. If she were not feeling so frustrated, she might have felt excitement at executing her spell.

"Excellent form Swan." Hook shouted as he clapped his hands. "Did Her Majesty teach you that trick?"

"Yes, in a matter fact she did. Gonna make some snide remark about her luring me to the dark side?" Emma sneered.

"Now who am I to judge Regina? In fact, I wouldn't mind being able to wiggle my fingers and getting such a result. Would help spruce up the Jolly Roger." Hook smirked.

"What are you doing out here anyway?"

"I am simply doing my civic duty Sheriff. It is my turn at watch and when I heard the noise, naturally I came to investigate. You can imagine my surprise on seeing you. Speaking of which, why are you here and not at home warm in your bed?"

"Would you believe me if I said I was on patrol?'

"I would have, if not for the fact that I spied your father drive by not 5 minutes ago."

Emma shook her head and turned back towards looking at the ships. She was in no mood to carry a conversation, let alone with the pirate. She was just about to say so when a flask was shoved into her face.

"What the hell Hook?"

"Go on and drink, Swan. Believe me when I say, thoughts that plague the mind to drive you from home in the middle of the night are not so easily sated by simple ale." Hook stated with a grim look.

Emma shrugged her shoulders before taking a long drink. Her face twisted in a grimace as the bitter liquid burned down her throat.

"Feeling better?" Hook asked before sitting beside Emma.

"Oh yeah, just great."

Emma and Hook sat beside one another in silence passing the flask between them. Hook glanced at Emma and with a deep breath gathered his courage.

"I wish to apologize, Swan."

"What for?"

"For my behavior towards you in Neverland and even before that in the Enchanted Forest. You see, I haven't been myself for a long time. Though it is no excuse, I hope you can understand, losing the two people I loved most, in all the world, changed me. For the worse, it seems. I have lived for so long, abiding by only two simple creeds. One, look out for myself at whatever cost and two, Rumpelstiltskin must die by my hook. But that all changed when I met you. You were filled with such fire and anger I could not help but think I had found a kindred spirit. Then being around your family I witnessed your love and the lengths you would go to for one another. So, when you kissed me, I believed...no I made myself believe, that with you lay my redemption. That if I could make you love me, then all my sins would be forgiven. It took a spirited fairy to hold the proverbial mirror up to my face for me to see that I had simply exchanged one obsession for another."

Emma sat speechless as she listened to Hook's confession. She had known he had been attracted to her and even she had found him somewhat interesting. But not once had Emma thought he had staked so much importance on a relationship with her.

"So you thought I was your Savior?" Emma laughed.

"Funny I know. But Tinkerbell is brutally honest. And she did not hesitate to tell me that I would never get what I wanted."

"Ow, that's harsh."

"Harsh yes, but the truth, is it not?" Hook smiled sadly.

"Yes. Sorry, but I don't feel that way about you."

Hook nodded his head and took a drink from his flask.

"No need. As I said, I mislead myself. Luckily for me, I have found someone who finds me appealing enough to give this ol' sea dog a chance." Hook laughed.

"Good for you. If my opinion means anything, I say you make a fine couple." Emma clasped her hand against Hook's shoulder.

"That we do. Thank you."

Hook turned to regard Emma. Although she held a smile on her face, it did not reach her eyes, which were filled with worry.

"Emma, I hope you will not hold my past actions against me and that we might still be friends."

"Sure Hook. I think we can do that, as long as you can refrain from coming onto me every two seconds. Tink is a good friend and I won't let anything come between that."

"Understood. So as a friend, let me do something for you."

"And what's that? Well besides getting me drunk." Emma laughed before taking another drink.

"Lend you my ear. Tell me what is troubling you."

Emma stared at Hook, his face serious.

"I'm not a person who's open with her feelings. I don't trust that easily."

"Well despite the contrary, I can be trusted to keep a secret. And it's a pirate's law, what is said between mates whilst sharing rum is held sacred." Hook joked trying to lighten the mood. He was glad to see Emma laugh.

"So you are here to hear my confession like some priest?" Emma cocked an eyebrow, smirking.

"Then this is no longer rum but sacramental wine if that will make it easier." Hook barked as he took a long swig.

Emma laughed so hard her belly hurt. But it felt good to release some of the tension that she had been holding. She looked once more over the dock, avoiding eye contact.

"You loved Milah very much, didn't you?"

Hook gasped at the mention of his lost love's name. It had been so long since he had heard it uttered.

"Yes, I did."

Emma turned to Hook and felt sympathy as pain flashed in his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked you that."

"No, it is fine. They say it cleanses the soul to speak of loved ones who are no longer with us. And yes, I loved her, with all my heart. I dare say there will be no one who will ever take her place"

"How did you know?"

"Know what?"

"That you loved her."

"Ah, well you see, Milah was a force of nature. Spoke her mind freely. She was rude and callous. Fought me at every turn, she did. Some would have called her a bitch and they would have been right." Hook said with a smile.

Emma looked at him in confusion. How could he say such things about the woman he loved?

"From the look on your face, you must think me mad."

"Yeah, I do. You just insulted her."

"But you have it all wrong Swan. Don't you see? Those were all the things that made me love her. Milah was a woman no one could tame. Not even me. Trust me, she reminded me of that every chance she got. But she still chose to stand by my side, love me. She made me want to be better." Hook blinked his eyes against the tears.

Emma sat silent as she waited for Hook to continue.

"But, there is one true way to know for sure if you love someone. And that is, if you can answer one simple question without hesitation or doubt." Hook grasped Emma's hand in his, squeezing it tightly.

"What question?"

"Is she worth dying for?"

Emma turned her face away, closing her eyes, as memories flooded her mind.

Rushing through an angry mob..."Get your hands off her!"

Standing outside a jail cell..."She is not dying."

Running forward, pushing the second the wraith swoops down then falling into a portal...

Standing in an abandoned mine, the glow of the device the only light..."You might not be strong enough, but maybe we are."...

Running out of a forest, sword held high... "Where is she?"

"Swan...Swan...Emma, are you alright?" Hook shook Emma's shoulder. She had suddenly stopped talking, her face blank.

Emma blinked her eyes at the sound of Hook's yells. Then her hand flew to her mouth as a sobbed retched from her body. She fell forward clutching to Hook. Hook although surprised, took Emma into his arms and embraced her. He ran a soothing hand on her back and held her as the young woman cried. After a few moments, Emma calmed enough to pull away. She wiped at her face trying to clear away the tears. Hook reached into his jacket, pulling out a handkerchief and handed it to Emma.

"I take it you have had a rude awakening." Hook said as he gently patted her hand.

"How could I have been so blind?" Emma choked out as she wiped her face.

"We rarely see what is right in front of us. But I feel it is never too late to act on one's feelings."

Emma shook her head.

"I assume she doesn't know."

Emma stared at Hook, her eyes wide with surprise.

"Not all of us are blind, love. Well, you would have to be to not see the connection you both have."

"We share a son Hook. Why wouldn't we be connected? That doesn't mean Regina feels the same way." Emma scoffed.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that Swan. I have known Her Majesty for a lot longer than you have and I dare say you mean a lot more to her then you think. I for one have never seen her treat anyone with half the care she does you, aside from the boy."

"Even if you're right, how do you think that would look to everyone with the Evil Queen and the Savior together?"

"Well aside from the fact that I don't give a damn what anyone thinks, I can only say it looks like one thing." Hook replied as he stood from the bench and began to walk back from where he came.

"Yeah, what's that?!" Emma shouted at Hook's retreating form.

Hook stopped and turned his head with a large grin spread across his lips.

"Nothing less but... True love." Hook replied as he bowed at the waist, then turned and walked away.

Regina lay in her bed, staring at the ceiling, her mind racing with all the information she had learned from Azael this evening. Although she had successfully gained background regarding Lilith, her thoughts were far more occupied by what she had learned about herself. How had she not realized her feelings towards the Savior? Years had passed and animosity had turned to civility, which surprisingly led to friendship. However, when had that changed? When had it become more?

Yes, Regina could admit that there had always been a physical attraction. Emma was beautiful and her constant challenging had brought life to Regina's mundane existence. Yet, to accept that she cared for Emma in a way she had not cared for anyone in a long time, was frightening. She was certain her black heart had room for only Henry. However, what if she had been wrong? What would it mean if the Savior had inadvertently gained purchase as well?

Regina stood from her bed and walked over to the window. The night sky was clear and shined brightly with stars. Fixing her gaze on the brightest, Regina wondered if fate was once again toying with her. There was no possible way that Emma felt the same. She was the product of True Love and the child of Snow White, a woman she cursed to live a life of heartache. How could Regina believe that Emma would look at her in any other way but an ally? Although she had set her goal on reform, she was nonetheless a villain.

Regina blinked her eyes, loosing the tears. She glanced once more towards the shining star, then shutting her eyes tight, did something she had not done since she was a child.

Her phone vibrated on the bedside table. She quickly walked to retrieve it, gasping as she nearly drops it from her hand. The ridiculous photo of the blonde flashes across the screen as if taunting her to answer.

"Emma?" Regina answers, her voice hoarse from emotion.

"Regina? Hey are you ok?" Emma asks, noticing the strain in Regina's voice.

"I am fine dear. But shouldn't I be asking you the same question? It is rather late for a social call, is it not?" Regina sits on her bed, collecting herself.

"Yeah, I know. Sorry 'bout that. It's just with everything that's going on I wanted to check up on you and...Henry." Emma slaps her hand across her forehead in frustration.

"We are both well and in our beds safe." Regina warms at the thought of Emma's concern.

"Oh crap, I woke you didn't I? I'm sorry Regina."

"No need. I was not sleeping."

"Are you alone?" Emma uttered suddenly.

"Pardon me?"

"Fuck...I mean...Forget it. It's none of my business. I don't know why I asked...I'm sorry if I've upset you. I should go..." Emma rambled then silently screamed at herself for being stupid.

"Emma...calm down." Regina stated. "I am not upset and I do not want you to hang up."

"Ok." Emma replied before taking a deep breath.

"To answer your question, no I am not alone."

"I understand." Emma bristled at the thought of Azael lying beside Regina.

"But, Mr. Falleré has been relegated to the guest room until further notice."

"Sorry to hear that." Emma said secretly elated by the news.

"Yes, you sound positively crushed."

"I'm guessing you guys had a disagreement."

"Actually, Mr. Falleré shed some light on our current situation which may help us."

"So...he's in the dog house because..." Emma jested.

"He is not in the dog house, Miss Swan. I simply wished to be alone." Regina answered curtly.

Emma realized she had hit a nerve and decided against pushing her luck.

"So this information you got, should we be worried?" Emma continued, changing the subject.

"Yes, we should. However, I believe we should discuss this with your parents and the council. I dare say we may need to prepare for the worst." Regina ran her hand through her hair dejectedly.

"Understood. Let's meet at Town Hall tomorrow night. I'll get Leroy to cover the phones at the station."

"That would be a good idea. And please have Tinkerbell and the pirate join us. Although it pains me to admit this, I believe we will need his help as well."

"Hey, Hook may not be your first choice but in Neverland he proved he could hold his own in a fight. I don't know about you, but I feel the more people on our side the better our chances will be."

"You are correct Miss Swan. With a united front we may stand a chance at beating this."

"That's the second time you've agreed with me. You must be getting soft." Emma joked.

"Or being in my presence has increased your intellect." Regina replied with a smile.

"Careful Your Majesty, I might start to think you value my opinion."

"Perish the thought Miss Swan." Regina replied.

Emma chuckled at Regina's try at sarcasm. It lacked its usual bite.

"Get some rest Regina. I will see you tomorrow."

"Good night Emma."

Both women ended their calls simultaneously, with smiles on their faces and warmth in their hearts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 5.8K 22
Regina Mills just Moved to Storybrooke, Main to start her final Schoolyear. What will happen once she Meets her blonde Teacher and can't seem to get...
140K 4.8K 20
Emma wakes up in the hospital with no memory of her life in Storybrooke with her family. When she sees Regina, though, she suddenly feels a connectio...
112K 4.9K 31
As Emma plans her upcoming wedding, she looks back on her time in Storybrooke. Regina and Emma have come a long way as friends, but are they keeping...
124K 3.9K 29
After eighteen years together, four children and one demanding career, Emma and Regina are in search for that flame that used to burn bright in their...