MELODY (Book 1) ✓

By most_bay

I pledge myself to you, my love, My life is no longer my own, My afterlife is unknown, If I'm fortunate, If I... More

Epigraph
chapter 1 (Fired)
chapter 2 ( Some Hope)
chapter 3 (Stroll In Manhattan)
chapter 4 (The Café)
chapter 5 (Superman)
chapter 6 (First Sight)
chapter 7 (The Shelter)
chapter 8 (Wretch)
Chapter 9 (Investigation)
Chapter 10 (Addiction)
Chapter 11 (Weekend)
Chapter 12 (Books)
chapter 13 ( Sheep Meadow)
Chapter 14 ( Panic)
Chapter 15 pt.2 (Akram)
chapter 16 (Spitting Cobra)
chapter 17 (Without A Trace)
chapter 18 (Return)
Chapter 19 pt1 (Friendly Dinner)
Chapter 19 pt2 (Friendly Dinner)
chapter 20 (Tuesday)
Chapter 21 (Serpentine Invasion)
chapter 22 (Reward)
Chapter 23 (Getting Ready)
Chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.1
Chapter 24 pt.2 ( The Movies)
chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.3
Chapter 25 (SMS)
Chapter 26 (Red-letter)
Chapter 27 (Heavy Birthday)
Chapter 28 (Threat)
Chapter 29 (Need For A change)
Chapter 30 (Breathing Spell)
chapter 31 (Bad Luck)
Chapter 32 (Hanging By A Thread)
Chapter 33 pt.1 ( The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.2 (The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.3 (The Last Straw)
Thank You Note!
Chapter 34 (Taken)
Chapter 35 (Respite)
Chapter 36 (Distraction)
Chapter 37 (Shopping Trip)
A/N (Reader's Love)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean) pt.2
Chapter 39 (Confessions)
Chapter 40 (Fears)
Chapter 41 ( The Police )
Interview With Akram!!!
Chapter 42 (Wounded)
Chapter 43 (Phone Call)
Dear Readers 😊
Chapter 44 (Unexpected Visitor)
A/N (Readers Love #2)
Chapter 45 (Chase)
Chapter 46 (At Home)
Chapter 47 (Conclusion)
Bonus Chapter!! *coming soon*
Epilogue (Declaration)
A Christmas Special!!!
*Just Making Sure*
Rewritten version #1

Chapter 15 (Akram)

685 149 288
By most_bay

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

I think I'm going to black out!!

I stayed frozen in the same grassy spot, curled forward in a fetal-like position. It seemed to me that I would never be able to move up. I held my airtight chest, folding my arms over my torso. My whole body was in convulsive mode, vibrating like a washing machine. I couldn't control the tremors or the suffocation that came with a wave of unstoppable tears.

This is insane! I need to disappear right now! Or just die and get it over with.

"Breathe..."

A melodious male voice suggested quietly and soothingly. It made me want to make an effort to turn my face up to see who was speaking. My eyes glimpsed the royal blue shirt that sheathed a shapely masculine chest before they met his eyes.

Teary-eyed, and confused I gazed at the deep warm orbs, still sobbing and fighting to catch my breath. He looked beautiful from this close but I couldn't focus on any details whatsoever. The world seemed to fade around the edges and dark spots danced in the air.

"You need to breathe, Miss," he said " I think you're having a panic attack. Pull your back straight and breathe. deep and slow." His tuneful words took a minute to register. I tried to straighten up, pushing myself to inhale deeper. Apparently,  I forgot how to use my lungs.

He was on his knees at an arm's length, directly facing me with a concerned expression, his forehead creased, his hands on his knees. For a second, he looked up stroking his forehead before he suddenly asked.

" Do you like ice cream?"

What?!!!

What kind of a question is that? It didn't make any sense!

My jaw fell open a bit while I glared at him. It was hard to believe that Superman, the awesome guy we'd been fantasizing about was actually a nutcase.

"Please. It's  important. Let me try... Barbie dolls? Cotton candy? Rainbows? Unicorns?" He scratched his eyebrow thoughtfully " Girls like chocolate too, right? " His expression was serious, as if his life depended on the answer.

As weird as it sounded, in the midst of all the tears and sobs, it almost made me smile to picture the things he mentioned.

"What... are you saying?" my once extinguished voice finally came out. Small, a little ragged and breezy but I gradually started to return to reality.

His long-lashed eyes crinkled up at the corners . " I'm sorry. I had to think of something..."

"What... do you mean? " Still staring unwittingly, I asked in frustration, gulping down a sob.

"I was... trying to distract you from a panic attack. I guess it worked, didn't it? " his grin kissed his eyes as he explained his good intention.

To my surprise, I just realized that my breathing began to stabilize and the ache in my chest subsided. I was still worn down and my limbs were shaky but I definitely was better than a few minutes ago. I let my arms loosen down on my thighs and inhaled again.

"May I help you up?" He stretched his arm, offering me his extended hand.

I wasn't sure if I could trust my legs to hold my body up just yet. But as I deliberated his offer, and the way he'd bothered to come down here to help, I eventually gave in, cautiously acknowledging his gesture.

He got up as slow as I did, grappling my hand in his. My hands must have been freezing because his hand was so warm. My other hand latched on his wrist, clinging to his slender but strong forearm. He kept his elbow suspended for me to sustain my weight, giving me a comfortable personal space as I hung onto him.

Just like teaching a toddler how to walk, He aided me to the bench, slowing his pace to match my vacillating steps, until I finally slumped over the bench again. A deep sigh came out of my mouth when the air flowed to fill my lungs once more.

Definitely getting better.

Once he helped me sit down, he leaned slightly forward with a soft smile. "I'll be right back in a minute." He turned around, jogging back gracefully to the place that he'd occupied before he came to my rescue.

Wrapping my arms around myself, I watched as he reached the blanketed spot to fetch his things. He arched his lean body to pick up his book from the ground, tucked it under his arm and made a bundle of his blanket, forcing it into a black backpack that I hadn't noticed before. Swiftly, He closed the distance between us again under the glaring sun that caressed the cocoa color of his hair. His eyes were fixed on my direction until he came back with the bag dangling from his hand.

Lucky for him, everything is still there!

"May I ?" He politely indicated to the empty spot beside me, requesting my permission.

"Sure." I nodded.

He took a seat on the far end of the bench, unzipped his backpack and brought out a small water bottle. "Please, drink. It helps." holding out his arm, he offered me his bottle, emphasizing by a nod of his head.

Before I think about refusing, he opened the sealed cap and glided a little closer." It's germ free , I promise. I didn't touch it."

I chuckled awkwardly and accepted it with a low "Thanks."

As soon as I brought the bottle to my lips, I realized I was totally parched when I guzzled half of it in one shot. I always forgot to keep myself hydrated but it must be the sunny weather that made me so thirsty. He still had the lid so I turned to hand the bottle back to him. I smiled weakly adjusting my hair behind my ears to remember I still had the pigtails nice and tight. Damn it!

"Better?"

"Yeah. Thanks. "

I grabbed a tissue from my pocket, wiping the dwelling tears and dropped my hands down, clasping them over my knees.

We sat silently for a while until my breathing became perfectly normal. I glanced up to catch him peeking but he quickly extended his hand introducing himself.

"Akram Sadiq."

It seemed like a weird timing for introduction after the spectacle we just encountered without even knowing one another. I felt totally self conscious after having a breakdown in public. Particularly in front of him. He would probably start noticing me now at my workplace for being the girl who made a scene at the park.

I groaned internally.

My hand was trembling a little when I raised it to shake his. His hand was so warm and gentle. It felt more like a caress than a simple handshake.

"Melody." I cleared the roughness in my throat and uttered my first name. His eyebrows shot up.

"Melody Fair." His face brightened when his eyebrows lifted.

"No. Melody Summer." I gave him a confused half smile.

"Nice to meet you, Melody. "

"Same here."

Something in his expression made me blush. It could be just my typical uneasiness around strangers. But he didn't feel like a total stranger to me. Not after stalking him for two months any way.

Going silent again, I stared at the grass, feeling the slight breeze cooling my heated face in the shade of my favorite elm Tree. He didn't leave for some reason. Oddly, his presence made me feel better. I didn't want him to leave either.

Still, there was something strange happening inside me . Like two opposing forces pulling me to opposite directions. Drawing me to him and pushing me away from him. I was aware of the attraction I held towards him , I knew I had a thing for him from afar for the past couple of months but now that he was near, I felt a bit scared of this closeness but also relaxed and relieved, if this combination was ever possible.

Come on! You don't really know him, Melody! My mind told me

I bit my lip.

But I want to know him!
My heart replied.

==========

A/N.

I proudly introduce my favorite son starting this chapter.  PLEASE WELCOME MY SON, AKRAM! (not an actual son, you know, more like the fictional son I never had ;)

**Check out the one shot titled (First Sight) in my book (One Shots & Contest Entries) which was inspired by this chapter... You may find it interesting!! 😉😉

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 227 53
18 year old Melody Harris's life is not that of a typical young woman,being raised in the foster care system made her grow up fast.Being exposed to t...
138K 4K 24
13 year old Melody Grace has lived in an orphanage her whole life, until she gets adopted by her idols.
4.6K 95 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
400 6 30
Melody has had to grow up quickly. With the death of her father, her mother has become an alcoholic and her brother a wandering stray that only comes...