That's Another Story For Later

By arilioness

*This is a Hobbit fanfiction* Iridian is a girl who was orphaned, living with a dwarf. One day, Thorin comes... More

An Adventure?
Twinkle
Moon
Brilliant
Misty Mountains
Wagers
Duel
Reflections
Little Sparrow
Imagination? Or Memory?
An Accident?
Always
Once Like a Brown Owl
Parasites
Not Again
Intoxicating
Imraldis
Diplomat
One of Your Kind
I'm Sorry
Hurt
Revelation
Seeing Double
Naithith
Coward?
Come Back To Me
Face to Face
Paralysis
Safe?
Vision or Nightmare
Down Down Down in Goblin Town
The Great Goblin Chase
Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
Running; It Wasn't in the Contract
Spoons
Negotiations
Stay Behind
Lost... Or Am I?
Why Is It Always Spiders?
The Truth Comes Out
Echiuo
Broken
Promise? Promise.
Stars
Reckless
Lippy Lakeman
Lucky Dwarves... As If
Stuck
The Master and the Weasel
Cornered
Erebor Look At Me Now
Man in the Moon
Choices
Hope
That, My Boy, Is a Dragon
Firestorm
Lost and Found
Infinity
The Lonely Mountain
Madness
Searching For the Found
Recurring
Forges
To Arms
To The End
Confrontation
Where Are You Now?
Cheapest Life
One Last Time
This is War
To Save the Durin's
Casualties
Reminiscing
Victory?
Dain Ironfoot
Diplomat
Tomorrow
PTSD
Iron Will
Too Close
Goodbye
Threshold
Return
Training and the In-Laws
Coronation
I Do
Dance of the Soul
Epilogue

Arrow

2.1K 53 1
By arilioness

*Hey guys. This is the flashback in which she had seen the boys once before the quest. Please enjoy! Thanks!*

I thought for a moment, wondering how I'd never seen them before. Then it clicked. I had, only once.

~ ~ ~

Dwalin's voice rang through our old cottage. "Dia! Come here for a moment!" I closed the book I had been reading. I was twenty, still young for a dwarf. I crept down the stairs, hoping I wasn't in trouble. I hadn't done anything recently.

"What did I do this time?" I asked as soon as I went downstairs. Dwalin turned around, an eyebrow raised.

"I don't know, what did you do?" He joked. I huffed, and crossed my arms.

"Nothing that I remember. I just thought I'd ask. Anyway, what did you call me down for?" He came over and ruffled my hair, laughing softly.

"I just wanted to let you know that we're going to have some company over tonight. Thorin, and his nephews, as well as a couple others are going to come over."

"What does this have to do with me?" I asked cautiously. He knew I wasn't a people person. They often looked at me funny for my ears.

"I just wanted to let you know that you'll have to cook for other people, and so you can keep yourself busy." He said, smiling. I nodded, and set to work in the kitchen. "They'll be here in a couple hours."

"Well what I have in mind will take that long. I can't have then come over with something ordinary." I answered, setting to work on preparing a stew. Dwalin left me to work as I hummed. "You know, you should clean up a little. Your cloaks are strewn everywhere." I called over my shoulder.

"So are yours! And your bow from hunting yesterday, and your boots!" He retorted. I laughed, cutting up some potatoes. The water continued to boil, and I went to put on my boots.

"I'm actually going to use them. I want to get some fresh rabbit." I laughed. "Just you better have those picked up by the time I come back, which will be by the time that water starts boiling." I picked up my bow, sliding the quiver over my back. I grabbed a few daggers, and went to the door, donning my black cloak as I went. "Be back soon!" I called, opening the door.

"Be careful." He said back. I closed the door as I walked, and headed toward the forest nearby. My eyes scanned the crowds and faces. As I passed dwarves, they glared slightly. They didn't like the fact I was different. It was obvious I wasn't entirely dwarf. I pulled the hood over my face. I lifted my chin, straightened my back, and continued to walk. My eyes stayed trained on the forest, not wanting to meet any gazes. Perhaps that's why I didn't see the person until I ran straight into them.

I cried out in surprise, landing on my butt. My hood fell down, revealing the harsh sun. A clattering sounded. My arrows had been knocked from their quiver. I growled in frustration. A shadow passed over my head. "Let me help you." It was a baritone voice. His hand started to reach for an arrow. I slapped it away, and gathered the last of my arrows.

"No, you won't. Do me a favor, and watch where you're going next time, you idiot. You almost broke my arrows!" I snapped. I stood, securing my quiver again, my bow in my hand. I shoved past the figure, and ran for the forest. They called my name, but I ignored them. I sighed, and ran my hand through my hair. At the edge of the forest, I took a deep breath, calming myself so I could start hunting.

I nocked an arrow, and crept around the forest on silent feet. I paused, a small rustling at my left. I stopped, and turned, drawing my bow. A plump rabbit hopped out. I aimed and shot in less than a second. The rodent couldn't run away and the arrow found the right eye. I smirked, and went to check the few traps I had set up. It was a short, relaxing walk, and I hummed softly.

Two of the traps were full, and I took the rabbits, and headed back toward the house. It had only been about fifteen minutes. I walked quickly, hoping I wouldn't run into the figure who knocked me down. I opened the door, and shucked off my boots, still a little ticked. I hung my cloak up though. I set down my quiver a bow a little on the rough side, and set to skinning the rabbits with a practiced hand.

Dwalin had picked up his cloaks and boots, setting them near the door neatly or on the coat rack. I finished skinning the rabbits relatively quickly, and went to set the skins out to dry. "Dia!" Dwalin called out as I started cutting up the rabbit into sizable pieces. "Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm fine. It's just some ass decided to run into me and almost break my arrows!" I huffed, cutting the rabbit aggressively. I put the vegetables and the meat into the stew. I scrounged the kitchen for the right herbs, and then disposed of the bones and fat of the animal.

"Iridian... you should have been more careful." I diced the herbs, and threw them in the pot, stirring roughly.

"What do you mean? I was walking in a straight line, my eyes trained on the forest, and then whoever that idiot was smacked into me. If anything, he should have been more careful!" I said sharply. Dwalin set his hand on my shoulder. I took a deep breath, and sighed, setting the spoon down. "Dwalin, why do the people hate me here?" I asked after a moment.

I grabbed a cloth, and headed toward my weapons. I left the stew to simmer. I sat down on the carpeted floor, near the fire. I took out my arrows, and cleaned off the ones I had used. I counted how many I had as I put them away, and noticed one was missing. "Damn it! And Dwalin, you never answered my question." I took out the knife I used to skin, and cleaned it as well.

"People just don't understand. They're only looking at the fact that you're not all one race. Honestly, it's stupid. If people got to know you, they'd see what I do. That is, if you'd let them." I inspected my bow for any problems. There were none thankfully.

"And what do you see? Besides, why should I let people in when they could just go away like my parents did." I answered, returning my weapons to their proper places.

"I see an independent, talented, wonderful person. I see someone with dwarvish loyalty, Elvish beauty, and human will. If you'd let people in and give them a chance, then maybe people won't 'hate' you. They really don't. They just don't understand. You'll be alright, Iridian." I sighed, and went back to stir the stew. The guests would be here soon, maybe just over an hour.

I went upstairs to get a book, settling down. I had read a few pages, when Dwalin came over to ruffle my hair gently. "Dia. Are you happy here?" He asked softly. I closed my book, and stirred the stew, and answered.

"Of course I'm happy here. Why wouldn't I be?" I answered in a soft voice. I heard Dwalin exhale heavily, and drag a chair over, sitting next to me. He looked aged, tired. A worried look formed in my eyes. "Why do you ask?" He stroked his beard a couple times.

"Because. As you said, people glare at you. The other kids don't understand, and are kind of prejudicial. And I wanted to ask if you were actually happy. If I was doing okay..." He trailed off. I smiled sadly, and set the ladle down. I walked toward Dwalin, and knelt down.

"Honestly, while it does bother me from time to time, it doesn't really bother me. It does sometimes, and yeah, it hurts how people think I'm some freak, but their approval doesn't really matter. Yours does. The fact that you still kept me, and still care for me, is all I want. As long as I have your approval, I'm happy. You're the father I never had." I placed my hand on his shoulder. I then stood and went back to stir the stew.

When I turned back, Dwalin had stood, and smiled. He held his arms out, and I stepped into them. He smelled like damp earth and metal. It was comforting, the same scent that comforted after many storms. "I'm glad you're happy. That's all I want, naithith. Your happiness." I smiled, and pulled back.

"I'm almost done with this. Then it just needs to simmer." I stirred it one last time, and set to work on the apple pastries.

"I'm glad you're doing this. Thank you." He said, ruffling my hair. I shrugged, and rolled out the dough, adding apple pieces inside, and honey. I mixed cinnamon into it, and folded it together, looking like a gift basket. I put them over the fire, letting them bake.

"Of course. They should be ready soon, and then I'm going to make some more arrows. Since I lost one... odds are that ass took it..." I growled lowly. Dwalin laughed at me, ruffling my hair. I smoothed it out, and watched the pastries grow. I stuck a toothpick into the pastries after some time, and decided they were ready.

I pulled them out, and set them on the counter. I went to the storage closet, and pulled out half a dozen more pieces of wood. I took the book I had brought, and headed back to my room. Just as I turned, knocks on the door sounded. I scurried away, and closed my room door as Dwalin opened the other door. "Thorin! Dis! Boys. Good to see you, come in!" He said joyously.

"I see Iridian already made herself scarce." Thorin's voice rumbled through with good humor. Dwalin laughed.

"You know her. She likes her time alone. And she doesn't like crowds." Dwalin responded. "How about some ale? Dia made some rabbit stew, and apple pastries."

"Sounds like she's talented." A woman's voice said. I smirked, and went to turn toward my arrows, when I realized I forgot the fletchings and arrowhead box, and an arrow for comparison. I growled low, and set my supplies on my bed.

I crept down the stairs, hoping to go unseen as I snuck toward my arrows, grabbing one. "Iridian!" A low voice called. I froze, and turned around slowly. There were six figures, including Dwalin.

"Thorin...." I said nervously. "How nice to see you..." I said in the same tone. I gazed at the faces. There was beautiful woman, a white haired and bearded dwarf, and two younger ones. One had blond hair, and the other looked familiar with a mop of black hair.

"You!" We both shouted. I bristled, and went to the closet, grabbing the box I needed with already made arrowheads and fletchings as well as the twine.

"You made me fall today!" I growled. "I cannot believe you! I was lucky I caught those rabbits. I can't believe I made something for you." I shouted. I paused, before realizing who I was speaking to. It was the prince. "I-I- By Durin, I am so sorry. I didn't realize- Thorin, I didn't mean to yell at...." I trailed off, before rushing away. Dwalin called my name as I ran into my room.

I had yelled and snapped at the prince. I really hope that wasn't the heir. I couldn't believe I had done that. I sighed, and growled in frustration at myself, before sitting on my bed, and getting to work on my arrows. I took my knife, carving out the right thickness by looking at the other arrow. I glued on the fletching in the identical spots as the other arrow, and tied on the arrowhead with twine.

I continued for about four arrows, when I heard a knock at my door. "Dwalin, if this about that guy who I said was an asshole for running into me... I had no idea it was the prince..." The door opened to reveal the dwarf who I ran into this afternoon. I gasped, and looked down at my hands. "It's just one mistake after another..." I muttered.

The missing arrow was placed in my hands. My eyes widened, and I looked up to face kind eyes. "I'm sorry for running into you. I understand that it was rude of me. But I wanted to give this back to you. Please take this as a forgiveness token. You're a very talented cook, and I enjoyed what you cooked immensely. I hope I see you around." He said, his hand still on the arrow.

He then let his hands off the arrow, and walked from my room. "Prince... " I called softly. He came back, his eyes holding curiosity. "I am sorry for what I said to you. I had no place to say such a thing to you. Please forgive me. It was stupid." He smiled, and nodded.

"Of course. You didn't know. Besides, something tells me that you've had difficulties that made you react this way." He said, before walking away, closing my door.. I paused, a small smile gracing my lips. I continued my arrows, and then read my book, until I heard the door open and close again. A knock sounded, and I called for whoever to come in. I was expecting Thorin, only to rail into me.

The door swung open to reveal Dwalin, holding a tray of stew and an apple basket, as I had named them. He set it down, and then sat next to me. "I see the prince gave you your arrow."

"I feel so stupid! How could I not know that was one of the princes! And what I said to him! No wonder everyone hates me."

"He actually was very understanding. While he has no clue of your lineage, he seemed to recognize your hardships. He seems fond of you almost." I scoffed, and started to eat the stew.

"Yeah right. Like the prince would be anything but finding me some stupid peasant who can't hold her tongue." I sighed. Dwalin wrapped his arm around me, and I leaned against him.

"Just let it roll off. He'll forget about it at sometime. Don't worry." I nodded, and Dwalin stood, walking away. He paused, and turned back at the door frame. "And Iridian, Thorin is not that mad. You're a great person." He said softly. He closed the door and I continued to eat in peace.

A couple weeks later, I sat near the forest. I leaned against a tree, the branches shading me, yet still giving me warmth. I turned the page to the book I was reading. A strange feeling of being watched washed over me after a while, and holding my finger on my page, I looked around the surrounding area.

I saw a figure, watching me. Upon closer inspection, it was the prince I had ran into. He waved at me, and I could see the grin from here, and I waved back, a small smile gracing my own lips. He did that every time I went to read, which was every week. It made me smile, even if he never spoke to me. It made me feel like someone knew I existed in a non hated light.

I smiled at the memories, and then realized how tired I was. My eyes shut, and I was gone the moment my head hit the pillow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 1.1K 35
Neither of us uttered a word for the longest time. I step towards him with my eyes never leaving his "Do you know why I came back?" I ask softly "Wh...
12.2K 455 50
It is as though Ilwien seeks out trouble with the hope that, among it, she might find adventure, too. But one day, it is a dwarf they call Thorin Oak...
44.9K 1.5K 21
"So you've fallen in love with a dwarf?" "What?! No!" When Gandalf came to Mirkwood with a quest of reclaiming Erebor, Alithia Thranduillell couldn't...
6.2K 138 17
■Thorin Oakenshield Fanfiction■ ■bewarned not edited enough, will fix at a later date■ Dragons, mythic beasts that was known for their destructive...