Runaway (A Zayn Malik fanfict...

By exquisites

"You are the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me, you bastard. I need you but I can't have you... More

Chapter 1 ♡
Chapter 2 ♡
Chapter 3 ♡
Chapter 4 ♡
Chapter 5 ♡
Chapter 6 ♡
Chapter 7 ♡
Chapter 9 ♡
Chapter 10 ♡
Chapter 11 ♡
Chapter 12 ♡
Chapter 13 ♡
Chapter 14 ♡
Chapter 15 ♡
Chapter 16 ♡
Chapter 17 ♡
Chapter 18 ♡
Chapter 19 ♡
Chapter 20 ♡
Chapter 21 ♡
Chapter 22 ♡
Chapter 23 ♡
Chapter 24 ♡
Chapter 25 ♡
Chapter 26 ♡
Chapter 27 ♡
Chapter 28 ♡
Chapter 29 ♡
Chapter 30 ♡
Chapter 31 ♡
Chapter 32 ♡
Chapter 33 ♡
Chapter 34 ♡
Chapter 35 ♡
Chapter 36 ♡
Chapter 37 ♡
Chapter 38 ♡
Chapter 39 ♡
Chapter 40 ♡
Chapter 41 ♡
Chapter 42 ♡
Chapter 43 ♡
Chapter 44 ♡
Chapter 45 ♡
Chapter 46 ♡
Chapter 47 ♡
Chapter 48 ♡
Chapter 49 ♡
Chapter 50 ♡
Chapter 51 ♡
Chapter 52 ♡
Chapter 53 ♡
Chapter 54 ♡
Chapter 55 ♡
Chapter 56 ♡
Chapter 57 ♡
Chapter 58 ♡
Chapter 59 ♡
Chapter 60 ♡
Chapter 61 ♡
Chapter 62 ♡
Chapter 63 ♡
Chapter 64 ♡
Chapter 65 ♡
Chapter 66 ♡
Chapter 67 ♡
Chapter 68 ♡
Chapter 69 ♡
Chapter 70 ♡
Chapter 71 ♡
Chapter 72 ♡
Chapter 73 ♡
Chapter 74 ♡
Chapter 75 ♡
Chapter 76 ♡
Chapter 77 ♡
Chapter 78 ♡
Chapter 79 ♡
Chapter 80 ♡
Chapter 81 ♡
Chapter 82 ♡
Chapter 83 ♡
Chapter 84 ♡
Chapter 85 ♡
Chapter 86 ♡
Chapter 87 ♡
Chapter 88 ♡
Chapter 89 ♡
Chapter 90 ♡
Chapter 91 ♡
Chapter 92 ♡
Chapter 93 ♡
Chapter 94 ♡
Chapter 95 ♡
Chapter 96 ♡
Chapter 97 ♡
Chapter 98 ♡
Chapter 99 ♡
Chapter 100 ♡
Author's Note

Chapter 8 ♡

91.9K 2.9K 550
By exquisites

sorry I didn't update in forever! (I say that every chapter, I know) Anyways, HEADS UP this chapter is very important. Some new characters are introduced and I'm proud of this one. I'll be updating again very soon, like today soon. I hope you like it!(((:

------------

Chapter 8:

(Kat's POV)

I was sitting on the couch, eating a bowl of popcorn while watching the Full House marathon. I was almost halfway through the episode when there was a knock on the front door. I set the popcorn on the side table and walked to the door. Hoping that it would be either Jack, Zayn, or Carlee, I opened it, but I frowned when I saw who it was.

"Hey," Cora spoke, pulling off a weak smile.

I forced myself to smile back, "oh hi. Um, dad's not here right now but if you want me to ring him up-". She interrupted me by saying, "I know, he told me to wait here." I nodded and moved aside, letting her in.

Cora was dad's fiancé, in other words, my about-to-be step-mom. She wasn't exactly my favorite person in the world, but I wouldn't call her the worst. She was polite -yes- but she wasn't easy to talk to. She was one of those people you would try to impress just so they would look at you, but I gave up trying a long time ago. Her and Dad were supposed to get married in six months, this would be her first marriage, but my dads second.

But then again, I wasn't exactly about to go back and plot revenge towards Cora since she was marrying my dad.

Now, she was sitting on the stool to the kitchen counter while I went back to the couch. We sat there, awkwardly, so I decided to turn the TV volume a little higher. But it wasn't anything new, it was almost always awkward between us.

"So," she spoke loudly. Dammit, I thought the television would do the trick. I thought to myself as she continued. "Do you have an idea of a job or something?"

I winced at her question, not even ready to answer. Nobody had really asked me that in a while. "No," I spoke, "not really planning on it."

"Why not?" She answered back almost immediately.

I turned back to face her, you know, for "respect", "well," I started, "I don't think I need one since dad takes me to his place sometimes and he pays me when I go."

Dad owned a restaurant called The Frontier, and we had decided that I would work there for the time being.

"Really?" She acted surprised.

I nodded back at her, "yeah. It isn't really a big deal you know? I've got everything I need. I don't really care."

"But you should," she objected, "you need a job so you can learn responsibility and take part in real life, you aren't supposed to sit on this couch for the rest of your life." I glared at her for that one. Why did she care anyways? It wasn't like I was going to move in with her and dad after they got married. I had a couple of months to earn money for a flat of my own, and if I didn't earn what I needed in that time, dad would most likely lend me some money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not spoiled or anything, I just haven't exactly planned out my future.

"Well," I decided, "to be honest, I'm not really sure what to do. I'm definitely not going to work at some fast food restaurant to earn money."

"Oh heavens no!" She exclaimed, "I've already have something in mind for you." Cora smiled and reached for her purse while saying, "well Kat, as you know, I'm a model. I work for Gold Agency and they happen to be looking for a fresh face to represent the company. And I have suggested you to the boss and they would like to meet you." She pulled out a card and walked over to me, handing it over.

I sighed, "so basically, you're telling me to work for your company because you're in need of a 'fresh face'." Her excitement soon faded into disappointment. "No Kat," She sighed and sat beside me, "listen, I've already talked to your dad about this. We both want you to try this modeling offer, especially me. You're perfect for the job, and these kind of opportunities only come around once in a lifetime. Please don't refuse, this could be a huge opportunity for you. Just try it out, and if you don't like it, don't do it." I stared at her for a while, taking everything in.

She was right, this is a huge opportunity, I should take it. But what if I lose interest in modeling after a while, then both her and my dad would be disappointed. And what if I didn't like modeling, what if I get uncomfortable. I wouldn't know, I've never tried it before. I mean, I've seen Cora model sometimes, but I didn't understand it. But it was too big of an offer to pass up, "Fine," I finally said, "but I'm just testing it out." Well, I said in my head, I guess I'll just see how it goes.

Her face lit up as she jumped in excitement, "yes! Okay, don't worry about what's gonna happen, I'm sure you'll get the job. I'll help train you and tell you everything you need to know about modeling. In fact, we'll go shopping this weekend and get you clothes for your portfolio. Oh, and I'll make sure to make your schedule flexible and organized. You might need an assistant but I'll find one for you. Oh and if you ever need a ride there, I'll be delighted to give you one!"

"Whoa," I said, "calm down, I haven't even got the job yet."

She smiled, "but I'm sure you will."

The door unlocked to reveal dad, he walked in and saw both of us and grinned. "How are my two favorite girls doing?"

Cora stood up and walked over to him, "we are fabulous, and you?"

"Just great."

I sat there awkwardly while dad placed a quick kiss on Cora's lips, "so, what do you guys wanna do for dinner?" He soon asked.

"Well, let's let Kat decided this one." Cora replied.

After a while of talking, we decided to go to The Cheesecake Factory. I insisted on staying home while dad and Cora went out, but they kept refusing, in the end, pleading me to go, I agreed. On the ride there, I sat in the back while Dad and Cora sat in the front and danced to what they called "their song".

When we finally got there, after we had ordered our dinner, Cora and Dad smiled at me from across the table as I sat there awkwardly. I didn't really think I could've ever gotten this awkward. It was one of those moments where you wished that an asteroid hit the exact place you were at. But instead, Cora decided to speak up.

"Well, Mark, Kat has some very excited news to tell you." She spoke to my dad.

His attention immediately turned to me. I cleared my throat, "I've decided to take up on that modeling offer." I spoke simply as

I watched his expression go from happy to excited. "Really!?!" He turned to Cora then me, then back at Cora. I hadn't seen him this excited in forever. And I had thought he wanted me to do the family business, I was wrong.

"That's great!" He said as the waiter set food on our table. "I'm so proud of you Kat. This is a huge opportunity for you." I nodded at him.

He clapped his hands together, "well, this calls for a celebration, don't ya think?" Cora smiled at my dad's enthusiasm.

"Yeah absolutely," she grinned. Holding her hand up, she called for a waiter. I looked around and try to spot one but spotted Zayn sitting on the counter instead. He didn't seem to notice me since his back was facing me. I spotted him eating a cake with an earplug stuck in his ear. I turned back around to see the waiter finally arrive.

"What would you like to order for dessert?" He asked us, flashing a familiar smile when he saw me. I recognized him from Carlees party, the guy she danced with. Drew, I think, was his name.

Cora was scanning the menu while my dad said, "one chocolate Cheesecake please."

Drew turned and looked at me, "And for you Kat?" I was surprised he remembered my name, I barely remembered his. I ordered my usual, "Uh, a strawberry Cheesecake please."

"Low fat," Cora immediately added which caused me to glare at her.

"Wait, lowfat for you or Kat?" Drew asked Cora, clear confusion in his tone.

"For Kat," she corrected. Drew wrote it down on his notepad while he asked Cora what she would like. She replied by asking for a raspberry Cheescake, also low fat.

When Drew had left, I immediately turned to Cora, "low fat?" I spit out.

She didn't seem shocked at my immediate comment. Instead, she calmly answered back, "we need to start limiting your diet to a couple thousand calories a day. It's good for your model body."

I turned to look at dad, hoping for some kind of objection come from his mouth. But, instead, he just sat there and shrugged.

"Besides," Cora continued, "you'll still get to eat whatever you want, just, low fat. Don't worry, you'll thank me later."

I doubt it, I thought to myself. I was starting to think this whole modeling thing was a bad idea.

When our dessert arrived, I just stared at it. Low fat, I repeated in my head, it's not a huge difference Kat. After a while of mentally arguing with myself on whether or not to eat it, I finally picked up my fork at decided to try it. When the first bite went into my mouth, I instantly regretted it. I don't think I've ever tasted a cake that had absolutely no flavor to it. For the rest of the time, I just sat there, watching Cora and dad enjoy their "cake".

"Alright," dad said a while after they were finished eating, "ready to go home?" They got up off the table.

"Wait dad," I asked, "could I stay here for a while more?"

"Why sweetheart?" He asked.

I opened my mouth to speak, "becau-", but Cora interrupted me, "of course you can. Just make sure you come home before your curfew. Do you need a ride or should I pick you up later?"

It took me a second to comprehend how quickly she agreed. "I think I'll get a ride. But if I need one, I'll call."

She nodded and tugged on dad's arm to get going but he said, "wait. Shouldn't we at least hear why she wants to stay?"

Cora sighed, "she probably saw a friend she wants to talk to, right?" -I nodded- "and besides, she has huge responsibility coming her way, I'm pretty sure she's capable to manage a ride home."

I noticed how Dad listens to her every word so carefully, and at the end, he doesn't object. "Alright, call me if you need anything." I nodded as they left the shop.

Turning around, I saw Zayn still sitting at the counter. I smiled and walked towards the counter, without saying anything, I sat down on the chair next to him. He turned his head after probably hearing me coming and grinned, "oh hey Kat, didn't expect to see you here."

I returned a smile and replied, "dad and Cora brought me here for dinner to celebrate, and I saw you so I decided to stay a while longer."

"Cora?" He asked. I soon realized I hadn't talked about her much in front of him.

"Cora's my dad's fiance," I replied simply, not wanting to go into deep conversation about her.

He nodded, "what're you guys celebrating?"

"Oh," I sighed, "its this thing th-" before I could finish, Zayn interrupted by saying frantically, "no, if you're not comfortable telling me, then I don't mind. Sorry for asking."

I smiled at the thought of him caring about my privacy, "no Zayn, of course I'm comfortable telling you, besides, we're practically friends."

He looked up from messing with his cake and hardly blushed, I think, "alright then, continue."

"Okay. So, Cora wants me to start modeling since she herself is a professional model. I wasn't sure with taking the job but when she told me about the positives, I think I might take the offer. So when we told dad, he took us out to dinner and then he told me really proud of me and stuff. I just don't know what I'm going to do if I don't like the job."

"Whoa," Zayn breathed, "that's a lot."

I nodded, now that you think of it, I've made some pretty huge decisions today. "So you're gonna do it?" Zayn asked.

"Modeling? I might, I'm not sure."

"You should, I mean, you've got modeling at the back of your hand." He smiled.

"You really mean it?" I asked as I felt a shade of light pink creep on to my cheeks.

"Of course, I mean look at yourself, you're beautiful."

My heart melted at his words and I'm pretty sure my cheeks were a dark pink by now. Did he really mean that? Well I think I'm definitely doing modeling now, after what he told me, absolutely. "Thank you," I replied.

He smiled as he reached for his earplug and popped it out of his ear, "oops, forgot to take it out."

"What were you listening to?" I asked him.

"Oh the usual, nothing you probably haven't heard before." He smiled his perfect smile at me.

We chatted for a while more before I realized it had been an hour and a half since Dad and Cora left me here.

"Shit, I gotta get home before midnight. Do you think you could drop me off?" I asked Zayn politely.

"Sure Cinderella, shall we go?" He winked as he held out his arm.

"Of course," I smiled as I looped my arm into his.

_______________

Follow me on Twitter! @mindofballoons

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204K 7.5K 51
❝I may be broken and he may be guarded, but our two hearts, should never be parted.❞ [this is the sequel to Do I Scare You? do not read unless read t...
231K 11.9K 12
*Warning* This story contains violence, abuse, and sexual content. Do not read if you are triggered or not comfortable with this. © CynicalCaroline 2...
1.3M 33.7K 35
"You're just too much fun to mess with," he jokes, his smile transforming into a glowing smirk. My cheeks heat, but this time with anger. My toleranc...
102K 1.8K 29
Elliot Stevens has been abused and hated her whole life by the person who is supposed to love you always. Elliot is a genius because she thought it w...