Little Leaps

By xFakingaSmilex

As their life turns towards a new adventure, secrets from Blake's past threaten their relationship once more... More

Little Leaps
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
⋆ OTHER STORIES YOU MIGHT ENJOY ⋆

Chapter Seven

24.2K 978 386
By xFakingaSmilex

Sharpe aching pains circulate through my body; a severe reminder of today's tiring events. Crazy children running amuck, stressed staff and now a dozen missed calls from my mother. If the house isn't on fire, I don't want to know about it. The only thing I need right now is a large glass of wine, a foot rub and some decent reality television to relax me.

I wander to my car, unlock the vehicle and take a seat. As I rest against the padded seating, my body sings with relief. My feet are no longer aching, but my stomach churns with nerves. Something must have gone wrong for her to ring me this many times.

On the second ring, the phone line cracks and there's people laughing in the background.

"Hello?"

A mother and her child walking through the car park shoot me an odd glance, but I shrug and look away from them.

"Ava, you finally picked up! I've been ringing you all afternoon," she scolds.

"You know, I was at this thing called work, you were so proud of me when I got the job." I laugh.

"Ah, that's right." She gasps. "How was your day at work?"

"Fine, the usual, but why have you called so much?" 

"So, Angela and I were on a wine tour today." There's more muffled laughing in the background which makes everything click; they're both pissed from the wine.

"Please tell me that-"

"Your father isn't impressed about the Uber bill, but we had fun, didn't we Angela?"

There's a crashing, inaudible sound and then the phone is passed to Angela. When those two team up, there's always a reason to be worried.

"On our adventure, we found the perfect venue for the engagement party. It's a beautiful winery that has a spectacular view of the orchards which is just, ugh, it's breathtaking. Just imagine all the wonderful pictures."

I imagine the pair sighing like lovesick fools.

"A beautiful orchard sounds expensive and we can't spring for something like that." I sigh. "Maybe shoot for something less expensive?"

"Don't worry about expenses, just come over and have a look for yourself. If you both like it, we'll have the party there. Your parents and I want to help you pay for this. You two both deserve it."

"Angela, please, no, you've already given us too much."

"One day, I hope you realise there's no such things as too much when it comes to family. We're like cats; we don't understand the concept of personal boundaries. Now, we're at your parent's house and Blake should be on his way over. Please come and have a look, we even have a few bottles of wine for taste testing."

There's no point fighting with Angela, I doubt she's ever heard the word 'no' in her life. 

"I'll be over soon."

On arrival, the door isn't locked, so I let myself in. Their laughter reaches the entrance which is considerably louder than before.

"Ava, is that you?" Blake yells.

"Yes, it's me."

He swiftly zooms around the corner, then wraps his arms around my body. Blake softly kisses my forehead and then nuzzles his face into my neck. I tightly hold on to his waist and embrace the feeling of him in my arms.

"They've gone mad!" He sighs.

"Utterly bonkers?" I laugh.

"If you don't want this, just say no, okay?" 

"Okay." I smile.

Blake untangles himself from me, then directs us towards the dining room. We take our seats opposite the pair and wait for them to say something. I notice the empty wine bottle accompanied by a ton of pamphlets and pictures.

"Have you started planning the wedding too?" 

"Yes, that stack is for the venues." My mother points to a small pile to the side.

"Wow." I gasp.

"Angela, get her the wine."

I glance at Blake and he smiles. Blake reaches under the table and holds my hand, our fingers intertwining. It's somewhat comforting, but I enjoy the tender touch of his thumb rubbing over my skin.

Angela places a glass of sparkling white wine in front of me, then drags a couple of pamphlets across the sleek, dark wooden table.

"These are the places we went to, but this is our favourite." The pamphlet is green with a red logo of an apple. So far, it looks alright.

We glance through the pictures, read over the features and packages offered and at the end, I must agree, this place looks stunning. There's a sample picture of a couple in love standing in front of the orchard with the sun setting in the background.

"I think she likes it." Angela tries to whisper to my mother.

I slide the pamphlet closer to Blake which earns a smile.

"This looks brilliant."

"I think that's a yes." The pair smile from ear to ear.

"It's an option." I slide the pamphlet back to them.

"We'll help with the wedding fund to help ease the pressure. And don't worry, we can afford it," Angela says. "When Thomas and I got married, our parents gifted us money and now it's time to pass that forward. Don't screw the train up!"

"Yes, don't screw it up!" Mum echoes.

"Fine." I raise my hands. "I promise to not screw the train up."

The pair resumes their happy, childlike state, which is terrifying.

"Do you want this venue, or should we keep looking?" Mum asks. "I think there are a few more places we can go to, more wine to taste."

The expensive bill from their escapades might end up more expensive than the party itself.

"Well, if Blake is happy, then the venue is a go."

Like hunters circling on their pray, the pair look at Blake. He jolts back in his chair but swiftly nods his head.

"Yes, I like the venue."

Angela scoops the other pamphlets up and throws them into the bin.

"When should we book the venue for? How about in a month's time?"

"What, a month?" I gasp. "How are we going to get everything done in a month?"

"The venue provides everything but decorations and floral arrangements. We can have this sorted in a day if we're organised." Angela appears confident.

"Great, book it then," Blake chirps.

"Now, have you thought about wedding dates or a possible time frame?" Mum asks. "What about a beautiful Spring wedding? There's enough time to have something booked for either September or October."

"No, we haven't, but the sooner the better. I can't wait to be married."

His hand squeezes mine which makes me smile. This is all so stressful, but I can't wait either.

"That's what I like to hear." Angela beams with happiness.

"Of course, if that's okay with Ava."

I nod in response; the sooner the better.

"We can help as much or as little as you like, you let us know if it's too much? Thomas's mother was smothering, and she practically planned everything without asking. I don't want to do that, so tell me."

"I have trust in the pair of you. You're doing a good job already." I smile.

"Thank you." Angela sighs with happiness.

The pair of them tackle us into a hug and then return to their planning. We look at floral arrangements and then my mother is passing a takeaway menu for a dinner run.

I could be standing in a registry office and it would still feel perfect with them surrounding us. 

Where would you like to see their engagement party hosted?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97 30 12
Complete. Not edited. 15,500 words. (Warning. Mature content. First time I have written anything, so be brutal! Much love and thanks for reading. Co...
2.5M 100K 55
Torn between risking it all and losing the man she loves, Ava must make a choice, but in the process of making this choice, Ava must accept the conse...
35 0 31
LITTLE TRICK... ENORMOUS HARM! Life makes Heroes and villains of us. Everyday! It makes us moves our roles between being Farias and Demons in someone...
1.6K 50 33
There are some things so horrible that we can't even think about it. Things that happen in the past. You bury them deep so no one will ever possibly...