Demon(#Wattys2017 Entry)

By TimmyLail

Black Griffin. A mercenary company well known for their efficient tactics and dominance of war. The Sile... More

Names/Terms In The Story
Chapter 1:Army of Sawaln
Chapter 2:Griffin Strikes
Chapter 3:Why must I cry?
Chapter 4:The Mark
Chapter 5:The Cost of Tears
Chapter 6:Home
Chapter 7:Clouded Vengeance
Chapter 8:Sharp Horns
Chapter 9:Escort
Chapter 10:Stone
Chapter 11:Fake
Chapter 12:Why?
Chapter 13:What am I?
Chapter 14:Triple Dragon
Chapter 15:Vizier
Chapter 16:Aurega Pride
Chapter 17:Crossed Swords
Chapter 18:T.H.A.R.S.O.O.C.
Chapter 19:Lost Innocence
Chapter 20:Scars
Chapter 21:Vas'Tirren
Chapter 22:Gates of Tirren
Chapter 23:Manacast
Chapter 24:Stealth
Chapter 25:Charge
Chapter 26:Trapped
Chapter 27:Sire
Chapter 28:Shade
Chapter 29:Twisted Mirror
Chapter 30:Shared Taint
Chapter 31:Magilles
Chapter 33:Giles
Chapter 34:Break
Chapter 35:War's End
Chapter 36:Departure
Chapter 37:Borderline
Chapter 38:Forward
Chapter 39:Reba
Chapter 40:Search
Chapter 41:Lost
Chapter 42:Balance
Chapter 43:Vengeance
Chapter 44:Unliving
Chapter 45:I'm Sorry
Chapter 46:Rest?
Chapter 47: Ma
Chapter 48: Nrevac
Chapter 49: Raided
Chapter 50: Be gone
Chapter 51: Eyes
Chapter 52: Swordsman
Chapter 53: Slaughter
Chapter 54: Hands
Chapter 55: Revelation
Chapter 56: Devastated
Chapter 57:Scared
Chapter 58: Nuisance
Chapter 59: Greed
Chapter 60:Plagued
Chapter 61: Broken Heart
Chapter 62: Pearl
Chapter 63: Descent
Chapter 64: Burned
Chapter 65: Panic

Chapter 32:Barrier

19 6 1
By TimmyLail

Guiltare managed to stop the bleeding, tearing off a few strips of her jacket and packing them into the wound. She couldn't offer any healing skills on the level of Giles or Reba, but her father had always stressed the importance of 'Rookie Surgery'. He always called it this because virtually anyone could do it, from a commander to a draftee.

"It won't save their life, by any means." Her father had warned,"But it'll certainly keep them from dying." She sighed.

Odd how the very man who had crafted her to kill had also taught her how to save this kings life. She put a hand on his back as he woke up."Easy does it. You've lost a lot of blood, and those wounds are deep."

Vas scoffed."Ah'll na b'kept down by da-Gah!"

He attempted to push himself off the ground, but felt intense pain in his back and collapsed forward, groaning.

Guiltare sighed."...I'm well aware you are not paying me to say 'I told you so', but....I did tell you so."

He glared at her."Where's ma brudda!?" He demanded.

She sighed, pointing at the palace."He ran in there, sounds like he's set a trap of some sort near the entrance. We'll wait for my men-" She insisted, placing a hand on his back as he moved to stand again."So that the king isn't killed before the fight can even begin."

He grumbled impatiently for a around half an hour, until the army approached them.

The Black Griffins were shoved aside as the Deena made their way to the front."Lord Tirren!" Said one, a heavyset man with a chunk of his nose missing."We seek yer fergiveness! Ye're our true king, an' all odda sons o' kings blood be dead, all Four an' none of 'em!"

Guiltare frowned at this news, looking at Vas, seeing a look of instant pain on his face. True, some had rebelled, but many of his brothers had probably been stuck in the city, believing he was dead and outmatched by stronger ones. Those who remained had likely been killed by Black Griffin.

She had seen men desolate over the loss of a single sibling, but with him a Deena of their royal family....to have lost forty brothers was a loss she couldn't even begin to envision.

Vas took a deep breath, a sad, tired look in his eyes."...All 'Cept fer Pol, ya mean." He looked at the entrance."...Ah'll have ta be da last o' ma kin soon...Ah, curse't all."

Guiltare placed a hand on his shoulder."It's for the best, if your city and people are to survive." She offered, trying to be of some comfort. True, this went against her normal Demon persona, but she still had some emotions within her.

He glared, obviously annoyed at her words."Easah fer you ta say. Ye eva' had ta kill ya family?" He demanded, a slight snarl to his voice.

She took a deep breath, carefully considering her answer.

"I have. And I'd do it again."

He looked at her, then sighed."...Jis get ya men readah." He said."An' quit wit' ya sappaness 'n comfat. Whetha ya ma fren, m'enemy, 'r a bystander, ya gettin' paid the same." He lifted his blade, walking towards the entrance to the palace.

She sighed, walking over to her own soldiers. She was surprised at who was leading them."Morz?" The large man nodded."Do not worry. Vaussten returned to camp with a prisoner, and was quite exhausted from his fight. He asked me to...'Tag in', I believe was his term for it."

She nodded."I see...And Reba?"

Morz shook his head."An incident. Giles seems to have been captured. Alive, no worry, but Reba's gone to rescue him. You know how she can be."

Guiltare nodded, knowing full well her commanders protective tendencies."And Gem? Any word yet?"

He began to reply, but was interrupted as the assassin ran over to them. Her clothes had been torn and cut, with splashes of blood covering the black uniform. She also had an odd look about her face, which worried Guiltare, for Gem never showed emotion in battle, or if she did, it was to smile from the thrill of a good fight.

"Are you alright?" She asked her disciple.

Gem looked at her, made a clutching movement with her hand, then touched her throat and shook her head. It was a simple sign that she had come up with for a simple message.

"I don't want to talk about it."

She meant to press further, but heard chatter as the crowd of Deena was stopped. She sighed and walked over."What's the problem?" She asked.

Vas demonstrated and walked forward, stopping, as though he had struck a wall."Some kinda barrier....Musta been some one-shot magic." He said, swearing loudly.

Guiltare nodded. Some skilled enchanters were able to enchant stones to cast spells, although the stone had to be destroyed for it to work. Based on the work of his brother, it seemed possible that he would be capable of such magic. She and the other commanders advanced.

Morz put a hand on the barrier, then retracted it quickly as it stung him."Potent....seems to repulse all that attempts to break through..."

He looked at Guiltare."I know a few tricks to break through, but it'll take time."

Guiltare looked past him."Morz, There's-"

"And, of course, it'll be difficult. Everyone will need to leave the area so that any noise is at a minimal, and-"

Guiltare grabbed his arm and carefully turned him to face the barrier. He trailed off, shocked by the sight before him.

Gem was on the other side of the barrier, waving."What's taking you all so long?"

He tapped the barrier, and it stung him again.

He hissed and looked at her."How did you get past!?" He demanded.

She shrugged."Just walked forward, no trouble at all." She waved a hand through the barrier, showing no resistance whatsoever.

Morz thought for a moment, then looked at Vas."....Try swinging your sword at it." He instructed. 

Vas seemed annoyed at being given an order, but did so, and sparks flew from the blade as it struck the invisible wall.

Morz nodded to Gem."Now you." Gem, frowning, in confusion, obeyed, and everyone stepped back as the overlong blade swashed through the air.

Morz nodded and took the blade from Vas, hiding it in the folds of his cloak to spare his eyes from its shine."Now....you pass through." He instructed.

Vas hesitated and reached out a hand. Nothing happened, and so he stepped forward to join Gem.

Morz nodded, understanding."It's not a barrier to keep out people, it's a barrier against magic. I have magic in my blood, and most Deena blades have some form of enchantment on them. Gem is able to pass easily, for Nrevacs have never had the ability to use magic. This Pol person must want to have an advantage."

Vas nodded, pointing."Yew! 'And me a normal sword den, big 'un, Ye get ma?"

One of Guiltare's men offered up a blade.

She nodded and took it, moving to pass it through the barrier.

However, her mask smacked against the barrier, and she frowned. For a moment, she thought it was an ill-informed joke, and began to panic over what sort of punishment need be visited upon the soldier.

But, Vas reached through and pulled the blade through with no problem whatsoever. She stared at her hands curiously.

She had only ever used blades, bows, occasionally even her bare hands in a fight but....did she have magic? If so, what kind? How strong? And, ever prevalent, what new punishments would Morz devise for her to use it for? She knew he meant well in guiding her towards stronger cruelty, but...

Her thoughts were stopped as Morz shook her shoulder lightly. She looked up to see Gem signing at them."Me and the king will go to eliminate Pol, but it would be smart to avoid bringing in so many of the Griffins. You go help Reba, before she or Giles end up dead.  We'll be fine." Guiltare nodded, seeing wisdom in this plan."Good luck." Gem snickered and signed something before she turned to run after Vas."With you needing to un-persuade Reba of her reckless plan? Keep it, you need it more!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.3K 1.4K 189
Disclaimer : This is not my story. No plagiarism intended. The credit goes to original author. ◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇ The entire Yunzhou knew that the Ye Family h...
902K 30.8K 110
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...
189K 4.6K 109
As the Maid of Evil, Y/n sacrifices her life for her twin brother. As the Mist Hashira, Y/n sacrifices her life for humanity. But not anymore will Y...
67.4K 1.7K 66
"mom, dad, Im married!" lahat ng relatives namin ay nagulat sa announcment ko. Sino ba naman kasi ang mag aakala na ang unica ija ng pamilyang Letpr...