Chasing Arbor

By Shaylinkay

***This is the sequel to 'To Protect and Serve'**** More

Code Blue
Roller Skating
Philadelphia
Kale and Rosie
Talk to me
Come Home
Back in Chicago
Unexpected
I will find you
The Choice
Save Me
Sandy
My Gift from God
Day 1
Light at the End of the Tunnel
Remission
Car Ride
Your Day
Proposal
Epilogue

Waking Up

4.1K 75 14
By Shaylinkay

***Antonio Dawson's POV***

"Hey, Tonio." Gabby's voice in faint, but it's there. "Wake up, come on. It's been an hour since your surgery. You need to open you eyes. Please." Her voice is shaky and makes the air in my throat catch.

My head is pounding, my neck, back, chest, stomach, well everywhere is throbbing and in pain. I feel like I'm on fire right now. But despite it all:

I open my eyes.

"Gabby?" I say in a horse voice when I see the blurry image that I assume is my sister.

The image comes in closer. "Antonio! You're awake!" She exclaims and puts her head down beside mine.

I kiss her hair and whisper, "What happened?"

She sits back up and looks at me. She's not blurry anymore since my eyes adjusted to lights.

"A teen ran a red light and t-boned you. You spun out and hit another car before your were ejected."

I exhale in relief when I realize that I wasn't the one who caused the wreck. I was drunk and driving erractically but for some reason I wasn't the cause of this.

"How's the kid who hit me?" I ask, genuinely worried.

"She was killed on impact. They think she was texting and driving." Gabby informs me.

I inhale sharply. "How old was she?"

"16." She responds shortly.

A 16 year old kid is dead now and I can't help but feel responsible. Even though I'm not, I feel as though I am.

"Where's Arbor?" I ask, wanting nothing else but her right now.

Gabby looks away from me. "I don't know where she is, but she doesn't want us to know. She's dropped off the grid and the only one who knows is Voight."

"Damn it!" I clench my fist. "I just want to see her." I feel myself start to weaken. I feel hopeless without her.

"Antonio?" Gabby asks with sudden worry in her voice as my heart monitor starts to race.

I close my eyes and the last thing I hear is Gabby screaming for a doctor before I drift into a sweet, dark, abyss.

***Gabby Dawson's POV***

"Help!" I scream. "He's flat-lining!"

Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Halstead rush into our room and call the code.

Code Blue, Room 24. The voice rings from the speakers.

"Gabby, you need to get out of here." Will tells me calmly and pulls me out of the room.

"Just save him!" I beg as tears start to run down my face.

"I will." He promises me and rushes back into Antonio's room.

I can't stand here any longer, so I turn away from the room and walk as fast as I can out of the hospital. Then I drive back to the firehouse.

*****************************************

I walk in and am greeted with worried eyes.

"How's he doing, Gabs?" Ottis asks first, breaking the terribly awkward silence.

I put on a fake smile. "He's doing fine. He came out of surgery and is going to be just fine after some physical therapy." I lie straight up to everyone. It's not hard to lie to people here. The only ones it's hard to lie to are Matt, Herman and Severide.

"Glad to hear he's okay." Ottis says with a huge grin. He looks so different without his mustache now. I can't help but smile.

A little while later, after small chit chat with Ottis and Cruz, I get up to get some coffee. While pouring the steaming hot liquid into my mug, Matt comes up beside me.

"Have you heard anything from the hospital?" He asks, concern apparent on his flawless face.

I shake my head. "Why would I hear anything?" I ask as I take a sip of coffee and jumping a little when it burns my lips.

Matt narrows his bright blue eyes at me. "I can tell that somethings wrong. You might be able to fool everyone else, but not me, Gabby." He sighs and puts his hands on my shoulders. "You need to call and see how Antonio is. Whatever happens."

I sigh and turn away from Matt. "He's fine." I tell him, partially trying to convince myself.

"Call the hospital, Gabbs." Matt scolds as I walk away and back to the table.

I try as hard as I can to not think about it, but after an hour of wondering, I break down and get up from the table. I go into the locker room, take place on a bench and call the hospital.

"Hello, Chicago Med Emergency Department. April Sexton speaking, how can I help you?" Kelly's childhood best friend answers the phone.

I sigh and speak softly. "Hey April, it's Gabby, Antonio Dawson's sister. Can you tell me how he's doing?"

"Uh, hold on." She speaks as if she's unsure. "I'll have to check." I head her put the phone down and a couple of moments later she's back on the line. "So Gabby, I can't release any information on Antonio's condition because of confidentiality but you can come in and see him when you want to."

"Is he at least stable?" I ask, annoyance building up in me because of stupid HIPPA laws. I'm obviously family. I don't know why she can't release any information.

April finally responds to me. "I can't answer that either. I'm sorry, Gabby."

"It's okay." I huff, agrivated and agitated. "Thank you, Goodbye." I hang up the phone and throw my fist into a locker.

This isn't fair! None of it's fair. I shouldn't have left Antonio, but I did. And now I'm not going to ask for the rest of shift off.

"Shit, Dawson." Severide's voice catches me off-guard.

I look up to see him standing by the end of the lockers. He's leaning against the end, one hand on the top of the lockers. He looks worried too.

"Not now, Severide." I growl and sit down on the bench, not wanting anyone to try to talk to me. I want nothing more that to run back to the hospital and be with Antonio.

My mind then wanders to Laura and the kids. Do they know Antonio is in the hospital?

"Come on." Kelly straightens up from the lockers, removing his hand from the top and makes his way towards me. "You need to take the rest of the day off and be with your brother." He tells me and takes a seat beside me. "I'm telling Boden you need the day off. You can't do your job right when your mind is stuck on your brother."

"Matt is my lieutenant and judge of that." I hiss, keeping my eyes straight ahead, not daring to look at him. "Not you."

Severide shakes his head and throws an arm around me. "Gabby, take the day off." His tone is softer and more friendly. "Antonio needs you right now. You know I'm not a huge fan of your brother since he was with Lacey, but he's still your brother and he needs you. Go." His voice is just above a whisper now and he stands up and walks away from me.

Well that was unexpected. The words from Severide make me think and I finally get up and muster up the courage to talk to Boden.

Walking into Boden's office, I shut the door.

"Gabby," Boden says with his deep, gruff voice and nods at me. "How are you?"

I bite my lip and sit down. "I'm distracted." I admit.

"I can see that." He nods and leans forward.

I sigh and lean back. "I'd like to take the rest of shift off to be with Antonio."

"I think that's a good idea." Boden tells me with approval. He raises an eyebrow and asks me, "Is that all?"

I confirm with a nod then stand up. "Thanks, Chief." I tell him and turn on a heel, getting out as soon as I came in. I go to the locker room and grab my shit without saying anything to anyone. I want nothing more than to get out and head to the hospital as soon as possible.

Successfully, I gather my stuff and am out the door to my car in two minutes. As soon as I pull out of the firehouse, my phone rings.

"Hello?" I ask into the receiver since I didn't bother to look at who was calling.

"Gabby, it's Laura. Can you watch the kids. I can't get ahold of Antonio and I need to go run a few errands."

I roll my eyes at my ex-sister-in-law. "Seriously, Laura?" I ask with annoyance in my voice. "Antonio is in the hospital and you're worried about errands?"

"He's in the hospital?" She asks, sounding completely shocked.

"Yeah." I sigh, feeling a little guilty about my tone with her. "He was in a wreck and ejected through the windshield. He coded twice when I was there."

"What?" She gasps. "Are you at the hospital now?"

"No." I inform her as I turn my wheel, pulling onto the main drag to Chicago Med. "I'm on my way back. They won't tell me anything about his condition."

"I'll be over with the kids as soon as possible."

"Okay." I hang up without even saying goodbye. I know Laura is a sweet woman but ever since she walked out on Antonio with no warning and no effort in saving their marriage, I've lost respect for her. She threw twenty years with my brother away.

After a few more minutes of speed driving and jamin' to the radio, I pull into the Emergency Department. I park and rush inside as quick as I can.

The first hospital staff member I see is April.

"April!" I call and wave her down.

She looks at me and walks towards me quickly. "Hey, Gabby." She greets me with a warm smile.

"April, how's Antonio?" I ask, getting straight to the point. I don't want to be surprised when I see him.

"He's okay." She tells me with a warm smile. "We got him back after the last code and he's been doing fine since then." She points to the nearest bench and gestures for us to sit down which I do. "His recovery is going to be a long road." April tells me with deep sincerity. "I don't know how long exactly, the occupational therapists will talk about that with you. But since he suffered such a massive trauma, he's going to have to learn to walk again."

"What?" I ask, unable to process what she's just told me.

April inhales sharply. "The wreck dislocated a lumbar vertebrae in his back and pinched his spinal cord. There was some damage but not too much. His legs are going to be very weak, but he's going to be able to walk and run again. It may be a couple of months, but he'll do it."

"Months?" I emphasize the word. "He's going to freak out when I tell him."

"I can tell him if you want me to, or Doctor Rhodes can." April offers.

I hold my hand up and shake my head. "No, it's okay. I'm his sister and I should tell him."

"Good luck." She whispers and pats me on the back then gets up and goes back to work.

I throw my head back against the wall and let the tears fall down my face. I know that this could've been way worse for Antonio, but going months without walking? I don't know if he can do it.

I feel so weak right now, but I eventually get up and walk to his room.

"Hey big brother." I say with a smile as I knock on the door frame then walk in.

He's laying in bed, bandages wrapped around his head and both legs in casts.

"Hey, Gabs!" He crocks. His throat must be sore from the intubation. "How are you?"

"It shouldn't be how am I." I chuckle and take a seat beside him. "How are you?" I ask sincerely and lean back.

He shrugs. "I'm okay. I wish my kids were here."

And like it was timed perfectly, Laura walks in with Diego and Eva.

"Dad!" Diego shouts and runs to his side. "Are you okay?"

Antonio nods with a huge smile. "I've really missed you guys!" He bites his lip and wraps his arm around his son. "I'm fine guys. It was just a freak accident."

"You look really bad." Eva tells her father with a sad expression.

"It's okay though now, sweetie." He assures her and nods with his head for her to come closer.

She does and lays her head on Antonio's chest. "I'm so happy you're okay." Eva whispers as tears start to come down her face.

"Awe, sweetheart. I'm fine. I promise." Antonio tries to comfort her, but Eva clings to her dad and cries.

Diego then takes a step back and sits in another chair to let Eva have more room.

"So you were in a wreck?" Laura's voice surprises me with his worried she sounds.

Antonio nods and looks at his ex wife. "I was." He confirms and kisses the top of Eva's head. "I guess it's crazy to think my job didn't do this to me, huh?"

"Cut it out, Antonio." Laura snaps. "I didn't say that."

"I know. I'm sorry." He apologizes. "Thank you for bringing the kids to see me. This is exactly what I need."

"Of course." She smiles warmly. "But we're going to have to talk about what we need to do in the long run. The schedule for having the kids."

That's weird. I would've thought they had this all figured out by now. Talk about stalling.

"We will." Antonio agrees. "But right now, that's the last thing I want to think about."

There is a silence and that's when I know that I have to tell him.

"So there's something the nurse told me that I need to tell you." I say to my brother.

His eyes come to meet mine and it makes me want to break down. The worry in them is too much.

"What's that?"

I inhale deeply. "The accident dislocated a vertebra. Your spinal cord was pinched off and there was some damage."

"I am not paralyzed!" He says sternly. "I can feel my legs just fine."

"I know that." I press my lips into a line to keep back my emotion. "But they said you're legs are going to be weak after the bones heal and you're going to have to go through therapy to help you walk again."

"What?" Antonio hisses, baffled by the information.

"It'll be a couple of months before you're strong enough to walk and even more to run."

He shakes his head. "They don't know me."

"I know they don't, but Tonio, this accident was bad. You're lucky you're alive. It's going to be a hard recovery."

He looks away from me and back at Laura. "They don't know me." He repeats.

The tone in his voice breaks me. I stand up and rush to the bathroom to let it all out..

I get in the stall and let myself cry.

He's right. They don't know him, but I do.

And this is going to be so hard for him that it breaks my heart right in two.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 2.5K 34
OC x Antonio Dawson ✨Complete✨
107K 2.2K 27
❛ 𝗧π—₯π—’π—¨π—•π—Ÿπ—˜ 𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 π—¦π—˜π—˜π— π—¦ 𝗧𝗒 π—™π—’π—Ÿπ—Ÿπ—’π—ͺ π— π—˜ 𝗔π—₯𝗒𝗨𝗑𝗗 ❜ 𝐣𝐚𝐲 𝐑𝐚π₯𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐱 𝐬𝐚𝐦 𝐦𝐒π₯π₯𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐚𝐠𝐨 𝐩𝐝 , 𝐬𝐞...
69.5K 934 117
A bunch of imagines from Chicago Fire, Med and PD. More over on Tumblr
51.5K 633 84
The story of Penelope Lillian Voight Everyone else apart from her I do not own. Some story lines I own whereas some I take from Chicago Pd, Chicago m...