Behind My Sister's Back

By Squiggle

When Summer's marriage ends in disaster, her sister, Ali, is there to pick up the pieces. What Summer didn't... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Summer's Return
Chapter 2: The New Head Chef
Chapter 3: Unfortunate Accidents
Chapter 4: Confonting Summer
Chapter 5: The Fight
Chapter 6: Fired
Chapter 7: Surprise!
Chapter 8 [part 1]: New Jobs
Chapter 8 [part 2]: Nice Guy
Chapter 10: The Truth
Chapter 11: Goodbye
Chapter 12: Gina's News
Chapter 13: First Day Back
Chapter 14: Friends?
Chapter 15: Birthday
Chapter 16: Party
Chapter 17: ...Awkward (pic of ali)
Chapter 18: Feelings
Chapter 19: Date
Chapter 20: The Past
Chapter 21: Ian
Chapter 22: Jerk
Chapter 23: Unexpected
Chapter 24: Telling Dennis
Chapter 25: Letting Go
Chapter 26: Gina's Finest Ice-Cream
Chapter 27: Jealousy
Chapter 28: Victory
Chapter 29: Just Us
Chapter 30: Lies
Chapter 31: Lisa
Chapter 32: A Close Shave
Chapter 33: A Night To Remember
Chapter 34: Hospital
Chapter 35 [part 1]: Turning Point
Chapter 35 [part 2]: Visits
Chapter 36: The End

Chapter 9: Sneaky

10.3K 191 9
By Squiggle

-- Dennis's POV --

                I walked back towards the shop where Lisa had gone into. There she was, tossing her blonde hair over her shoulder and batting her eyelashes at a baffled man walking by. Then she saw me and frowned.

                “Where were you?” she screeched, folding her arms across her chest and glaring at me. “It’s been almost ten minutes, Denny-Wenny.”

                “Don’t call me that,” I hissed, my cheeks flaming. She smirked.

                “Seriously, where were you?”                      

                “It doesn’t matter,” I said, sighing. “Let’s go.”

                I offered her my arm and she gripped it eagerly. We walked back to the restaurant where Lisa hurried off to join her ‘friend’ Violet.

                “Get to work!” I barked when a few people hesitated. They instantly got back to whatever they were doing.

                I watched Lisa work where Ali used to work. Ali was a much better cook but someone had to fill the position and Lisa clearly wanted it. I walked around the room, supervising them.

                “Tie your hair back,” I muttered in Lisa’s ears.

                “Do I have to?” she whined, but nevertheless grabbed a bobble and tied her hair back. When she thought my back was turned, she reached into her pocket and applied a little more make-up. She already looked like a clown.

                Ali never wore make-up. But that was okay. She was naturally pretty.

                Wait – what?

                No. Ali’s not pretty. She’s – well she’s nothing.

                She’s certainly nothing like her sister. Except maybe the temper. They both have bad temper.

                I sighed. Why was I always thinking about Ali? Why was I never thinking about Lisa?

                Because you hate her, a little voice whispered in my mind. It was true; I loathed her. She was a slut and the only reason I kissed her was to make Ali jealous. If only I could say that to Ali – maybe she would come back then.

                And then I had a stroke of genius. I could tell that to Ali... just not directly.

                “Gina?”

                “Yes?” came Gina’s bitter voice as I approached her. She had been nothing but bitter towards since I had fired Ali but she couldn’t disobey orders, right?

                “I’d like you to send Ali a message.”

                “Pardon?” she said, puzzled.

                “Take out your phone,” I ordered patiently.

                “I don’t have my phone,” she shot back.

                “Unload your pockets.”

                “No.”    

                I was starting to get angry.          

                “Please,” I said through clenched teeth, “unload your pockets.”

                “You can’t make me,” she said simply, and then smiled. I glared at her but she didn’t even flinch and got back to whatever she was doing before.

                Is that how it is? Okay, well two can play at that game.

**

                “Lisa,” I whispered as she passed the door. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she took a few steps back. I was stood in the walk-in-freezer – practically numb from the cold – with the door ajar. Still looking puzzled, she stepped into the freezer without making it look too obvious.

                “Hey sweetie,” I muttered, conscious that somebody could come inside here at any moment. “I need you to do me a favour.”

                “Anything for you,” she purred. No matter how much I hated her, she still turned me on.

                “This may sound weird, but you’ve got to trust me,” I said and explained the plan. Grinning from ear-to-ear she nodded and then stepped out again. I followed her after a few seconds and caught a few people’s eyes.

                Greig glared at me. Some of the guys winked and some of the girls smiled dreamily. I almost chuckled.

                “Hey Gee,” said Lisa loudly, using Ali’s nickname. Gina looked up warily. “How’s Ali?”

                “She’s fine,” she said nonchalantly though her hands were shaking.

                “Wow, that smells good,” she said, completely changing subject. “Can I try some?”

                “No,” she replied.

                “Why not?” asked Lisa, feigning hurt. “Listen, Gee, I’m really sorry about what happened with Ali.”

                Gina’s expression didn’t soften; in fact, it hardened. She knew Lisa wasn’t the slightest bit sorry.

                “Let me try it,” Lisa tried again.

                “Fine,” said Gina, glowering at her.

                Lisa took her chance and I was delighted with her. How had she managed to make Gina let her touch the soup? It was amazing how somebody can irritate you so much that you’ll just give in to have them shut up. Gina had obviously learned from Ali’s mistake.

                Putting on the poker-face, Lisa snatched the spoon and slowly – very slowly – scooped up some soup. Then she raised her other hand, which had been hidden behind her back. It was too quick to catch. All I knew was that the next second Gina was shrieking, the pan thudding to the floor and soup poured down her front.

                “You did that on purpose!” Gina accused angrily, her face contorted into anguish. The soup had been hot. I felt sorry for her, but it was the only way.

                “Lisa!” I snapped, striding over to them. “What did you do that for? Clean this up!”

                Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her wink. I nodded back slightly.

                “It’s ruined!”

                “Let me have a look,” I urged. I bent down and pretended to examine her uniform. When she wasn’t looking, I reached into her pocket and took out the phone. It was in my own pocket before somebody could blink.

                “It looks bad,” I said, standing up. “Go and try to wash it off. I’ll deal with Lisa.”

                The idea of Lisa being punished was enough to make Gina obey. She walked off, glaring at Lisa.

                Thank you, I mouthed to Lisa before hurrying back to the freezer. When the door was safely closed, I took out the phone and found Ali’s number.

                Meet me outside the restaurant in 10 minutes. I need to talk to you. It’s about Summer. X

                Now all I had to do was meet Ali. Perfect.

 _______________________________________________________

I can't remember who but someone asked for Dennis's POV, so yeah (: hope you liked it. Vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 148 10
Katie Palmer left town years ago when her parents found out she was involved with the town's bad boy. She left a little heartbroken thinking she'll n...
34.3K 1.2K 38
One night in a bar, Jason falls in love with a girl. But he goes home to Macon and loses her number! Five long years later, he runs into a girl in th...
81.6K 3.7K 34
Everyone thought Sky and Callen would be the annoying couple who would get the fairytale "Happy ever after" ending. They met and fell helplessly in l...
556K 21K 24
Rui Leonetti could not believe that Vera could waltz back into his life and act like she could not remember the turmoil she had created five years a...