The Viking Slave

By CamoJane

What would you do if your world was turned upside down in the blink of an eye? When Astrid's peaceful home is... More

Chapter 1: Captured!
Chapter 2: A New Land
Chapter 3: Learning
Chapter 4: Long Talks
Chapter 5: Bard's Arrival
Chapter 6: Let Us Feast!
Chapter 7: A Fair Trade
Chapter 8: The Völva
Chapter 9: Emotions Run High
Chapter 10: Setting Sail
Chapter 11: Sailing!
Chapter 12: Then We Shall Fight
Chapter 13: Attack!
Chapter 14: Burial of the Dead
Chapter 15: A New Hope
Chapter 16: Lies
Chapter 17: Welcome To Lundur
Chapter 18: Pain
Chapter 19: Punishment
Chapter 20: The Great Escape
Chapter 21: The Royal Helper
Chapter 22: A New Awakening
Chapter 23: When The Rain Falls
Chapter 24:
Chapter 25: The Sound of Bells
Chapter 27: Strangers Upon the Tides
Chapter 28: We Meet Again...
Chapter 29: An Unexpected Savior
Chapter 30: Betrayal
Chapter 31: From Princess to Slave
Chapter 33: Queen Astrid
Chapter 34: Greetings From the Castle
Chapter 35: War!
Chapter 36: Planning for War
Chapter 37: All Because of War
Chapter 38: The End of an Enemy
Chapter 39: The End of an Adventure
Final Note

Chapter 32: Allies and Enemies

9.6K 516 24
By CamoJane

Astrid and Deman ate their food in silence. Both were thinking about what was about to come to themselves and the kingdom. They wondered how it all would end, or if it would ever end. 

"I heard the people in the village discussing when we were going to have a child." Deman spoke with a grin plastered on his face. "I even seen one group of people making bets on the date." He took a sip of water from his silver goblet.

Astrid laughed and wiped her mouth. "I do not know if I could be a mother to a child." She shrugged, laying her hands onto her lap. "I cannot imagine."

Deman smiled kindly at her. "You would be a wonderful mother. Do not ever think otherwise. I know-"

The door abruptly slammed open, causing a stir in the quiet room. "Sire," Camilla breathed heavily, pointing to the window. "There are ships coming up the river!" She shouted in fear, rushing inside the dining hall. "The villagers pounding on the doors. They are scared out of their wits. What should we do!?" She frantically paced back and forth in the room, wringing her hands in circles.

Deman quickly arose, making his way to Camilla. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to him. "Everything will be fine as long as you remain calm." He nodded, patting her on the back. "Tell the priest to sound the bell. Have the guards close the gates."

Deman moved steadily toward the door. His face held a stern expression, as did his body.

"Take Astrid to our chamber," Deman whispered to Camilla, reaching her a long key. "Lock her inside. I do not want her outside."

Camilla nodded as he left the room. Astrid watched him disappear from her sight, making her heart sink with despair. She buried her face into her hands, hiding the fears that were written on her face.

"My lady," Camilla mumbled, approaching Astrid. "Come to your chamber."

Astrid glanced up at her coldly. "No." She stood up from where she sat, walking toward the open door. "I cannot leave my husband."

"But your husband wants you to be safe." Camilla replied, going after Astrid. "Please, just make this easy on us both."

Astrid aimlessly stared at Camilla, without speaking. Astrid nodded in agreement before she left the room. She rushed up the spiral staircase, leaving Camilla several steps behind. Astrid stopped abruptly in the middle of her room.

"What if they kill Deman to get to me?" Astrid nervously questioned, facing Camilla. "I cannot leave him alone. He is innocent!"

Camilla wrapped her arm around Astrid's shoulder, pulling her close. "Everything will be alright, Astrid. Please, remain calm." Camilla reassured her, squeezing her arm tightly. "I am going to leave you here until Deman says you can come out."

Astrid's face went blank with fear. She felt a nervous pit welling in her stomach. The only thing on her mind was the safety of Deman and the kingdom.

Astrid let out a deep sigh as she rubbed her sweaty palms along the bodice of her dress. She looked around the silent room in search for something to ease her mind. Slowly, she strolled onto the balcony and overlooked the world below. The simple lives of the villagers was now paused as the dreaded Northmen pressed closer and closer to the land. People cowered in fear hidden behind the heavy doors of the stone gates. In the distance, Astrid noticed the well-dressed warriors as they jumped from the longboats into the water below, disembarking upon an adventure. Once the men settled down on the shore, a familiar figure appeared upon the wooden dock. Astrid gasped, holding her hand over her mouth.

"Erika?" Astrid asked herself, squinting her eyes to get a better visual of the woman down below. "It is you." She mumbled, leaning forward excitedly.

Erika's fur-lined green cape swept the ground as she strutted proudly down the pier with Igor at her side. Her face was stern, while her her posture was erect. Astrid watched her closely as Erika stopped on the shore, rounding her men together.

"But why are you here?" Astrid whispered, looking around confused. She tilted her head to the side, powdering on the questions. "No," she mumbled, bouncing hastily. "No!" She yelled, running back inside. She shook the locked chamber door, only to find herself with no way out. "Camilla!" She shouted, banging her fist hard against the wood.

No one replied. No one appeared. Astrid was alone.

She peered out of the small window into the empty hall, desperately waiting for an exit. Her heart sank as she propped her head against the wood, realizing nobody was coming. It was then she noticed a long bundle of rope in the corner of the room hidden behind several trunks. She took the thick rope and returned to the balcony, where she tied a sturdy knot around the railing. Hesitantly, she climbed over the edge, and began inching down the thick rope until she was close enough to the ground that she could jump.

Astrid quickly made her way back into the castle, searching frantically for Deman. She heard his voice from inside the feasting hall where the reserve of soldiers were lined up and discussing the battle strategies for when a battle occurred.

"Deman," Astrid spoke boldly, entering into the loud, cramped room. "May I speak with you?"

He glared at her, placing his cup down. "What do you need?" He asked, approaching her. "I thought you were locked inside the chamber?"

Astrid nervously tugged at the sleeves of her dress. "I was, but I had to tell you something important." She rushed to his side, leaning close to his ear. "It is not the same men that came." She whispered. "It is a friend of mine and-"

"No." Deman snapped, pushing Astrid away. "You cannot trust anyone, Astrid. I do not care if they appear to be your friend. Friends will betray you." He laid his hand lightly upon her shoulder. "For all we know he could want to kill you now."

"She." Astrid corrected, pushing his hand from her shoulder. "The person is a she and Her name is Erika! If it was not for her I would not be alive!" She paused, glaring back at Deman. "She saved my life."

Deman nodded, stepping back to his throne. "How?"

"When I was on the brink of death after Bard tried to kill me, she saved me and put me in a boat. That is how I ended up here!" Astrid informed Deman, turning to face the crowd. "She is not like the others. All she wanted was to be left alone, just like I do." She paused, glancing back at Deman. "Give her a chance before you make plans to attack them."

"Alright." Deman agreed, standing beside her. "We will travel to the water and talk with them." He took Astrid by the arm, leading her down the center aisle. "Come along, my dear."

Deman pulled Astrid to the stables, where he released her forcefully. "I hate to be rough with you, my dear, but I cannot let you put my kingdom at risk." He scolded boldly. "You must stop pretending as if you know everything and accept the fact I am king. I make the rules for everyone." He stared sternly at Astrid, shaking his head. "I do care for you, but sometimes you are very difficult."

Astrid hung her head in shame. She meekly folded her arms across her chest, attempting to hide her emotions. "Forgive me, Deman." She slowly glanced up at him. "I never meant-"

"I know." He smiled calmly, pulling Astrid into a hug. "You were just trying to help but with everything going on, I need to ask you to stop. There is nothing you can do." Deman placed a kiss on the top of her head.

They broke apart in silence. Deman helped Astrid into a small wagon and harnessed his white stallion to the front. In minutes, they were making their way toward the strangers, who were trespassing on their land. Astrid felt the knot in her stomach tighten as they neared the Viking camp. The cold eyes of the Northmen pierced them as they moved closer toward them. Erika followed stiffly behind Igor and another man as they approached Astrid and Deman, who now stood before them.

Erika let out a deep breath and covered her gaping mouth once she spotted Astrid. She approached them silently, studying Astrid closely.

"I figured you were dead." Erika finally spoke, resting her hand on Astrid's cheek. "I am glad to see you are alive and," she paused, smiling graciously. "well." Erika's eyes met with Deman. "Who is this man?"

"This is my husband, King Deman." Astrid stated, flashing a grateful smile to Erika then to Igor. "I want to give you my many thanks for saving my life." She nodded to them graciously. Deman remained in a daze.

"You did yourself good." Erika nodded, bowing graciously to Deman. "So you are a queen now. I am honored to be in your presence." She bowed respectfully to Astrid. 

"I am still the same person." Astrid spoke, laying her hand upon Erika's shoulder. "However, I am a little confused to why exactly you are here and how you found me?"

Erika's face went straight as she stared intensely at Astrid. "A messenger came to Lundur bringing the news that Bard was going to attack your kingdom. I was slightly curious because I thought you would be dead," She shook her head. "not a ruler. But I got man to tell me your location. That is when I set sail with my group of soldiers and made it here. I think it was the fate of the gods that I found you."

Astrid glanced at her confused. "Your soldiers?"

"Yes, my soldiers. I am now the Earl of Lundur." Erika stated, taking Igor by the hand. "Just before father died from an illness, he and the counsel usurped Bard's power, granting it to me." She bowed once again. "I came to be an ally to you and your kingdom. I want to help you fight against Bard."

Deman stared at them confused as they spoke the foreign language of the North. He glanced at Astrid, who listened closely to what was being said.

"What are they saying, my dear?" Deman whispered in Astrid's ear.

"She is saying that the Northmen that were here before will be returning and she wants to be our ally."

Deman stared at Igor then at Erik, shaking his head in disapproval. "I do not trust them." He turned his back to them. "And I will not trust them. If the Northmen do return, we have our highly trained army to defend the kingdom; and if they come overthrow our army, they deserve to take this kingdom."

Astrid nodded, letting out a discouraged sigh. She felt a sense of nerves rise as she watched Deman rise back into the wagon.

"Erika," Astrid stated, bowing her head. "I am afraid my husband does not want you as an ally. He does not trust you and," she glanced up at the deflated couple. "I cannot change his mind. It does not matter if I want you to remain, Deman has made his decision."

Erika nodded without any expression upon her face. "Very well." She turned her face to Igor. "However," a long silence came over her. "We will wait beside the shorelines for when Bard arrives. It was my father's dying wish that Bard would be killed." Erika freely shared. "I made a promise I would see that happen, and I must see my promise fulfilled."

Astrid agreed. "I suppose you can stay as long as you remain by the shore." She looked at Deman, who sat eagerly in the wagon. Astrid pulled Erika into an embrace. "I hope this is not goodbye." She whispered into her ear, before pulling away.

Astrid pulled herself back up to Deman's side. She glanced down at Erika with a smile and nodded goodbye. Astrid watched Erika and Igor fade from her sight as they left the campsite. She hoped she was not wrong about Erika...

Remember to vote & comment!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8M 73K 89
*THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE HEAVILY EDITED* TW: kidnapping, manipulation, toxic/abusive relationship, violence, death, grief, self-harm, suicidal thoughts...
20.8K 707 26
What do you do when your whole world turn upside down? Well, Haya is sure about to find out. She was an ordinary, frankly naive, seventeen year old...
6.6K 222 50
At fourteen my life was flipped upside down. And not for good. I was held captive for many years. I didn't know the day, year or month it was. I did...
42.6K 393 20
*TW* Rape. Abuse. Assault !!!!VERY SMUTTY!!!! 17 year old Tyla gets kidnapped and sold to a seemingly charming man. Will she get out? This story was...