To Protect and Serve (Chicago...

By Shaylinkay

Arbor Alexander has worked in the West Side for the past six years at the 17th District. She was patrol for t... More

Arbor
Arbor
Jay
Matt
Arbor
Voight
Jay
Antonio
Erin
Antonio
Arbor
Arbor
Matt
Arbor
Antonio
Arbor
Kim
Arbor
Antonio
Kim
Arbor
Arbor
Arbor
Voight
Antonio
Arbor
Voight
Arbor
Erin
Antonio
Arbor
Arbor
Jay
Antonio
Voight
Arbor
Antonio
Arbor
Arbor
Antonio
Arbor
Antonio
Voight
Arbor
Antonio
Arbor
Antonio
Arbor
Antonio
Announcement!

Antonio

4.1K 69 15
By Shaylinkay

I hear the front door open and jump to my feet as quickly as possible. It's 11 at night and I haven't seen Arbor since she brought Merch's wife to see him at the hospital.

She looked at me like it was my fault. Arbor thinks it's my fault that Merch is dead even though it's his own fault.

He's the one who jumped in front of me. He took the bullet for me and now he's dead.

"Hey, baby." I sigh when I see that her eyes are red and puffy and rush to the front door to meet her.

She looks up at me with anger still evident in her expression. "Hi." She says shortly.

"It's not my fault that Merch is gone. He stood in front of me and took a bullet for me!" I whisper, pleading that she will understand what happened and why.

"I don't care what happened!" She screams in a sudden outburst of anger. "You let him take that bullet! He's dead because of you!" She pushes past me and goes up the stairs.

I try to follow her but she turns around and stops me. "Don't even think about taking another step towards me." She growls. "I can't even look at you right now."

"Don't say that." I whimper as I feel my heart constrict with fear.

"I just need some time away from you." She snarls, no emotion evident in her eyes or tone. "I'm moving in with Voight."

"So you're just going to pack up and leave again?" I yell as I feel my knees start to weaken.

"I guess I am." She states simply, biting her lip.

"Why?" I cry out, feeling a sob coming up from my throat that I'm able to suppress successfully.

She glares at me, hate evident in her eyes. "April is dead because I was too wrapped up with you to pay attention to detail with Daniel. Now Merch is dead because of you. I'm not losing anyone else because of you!" She screams full force in my face. "I can't keep doing this with you! I'm not going to lose everyone I love for you, Antonio! You're toxic!" She falls silent, her chest rising up and down violently as she catches her breath.

"Fine." I whisper back and turn my back on her, going back down the stairs. "Just get your shit and get out, Arbor." I hiss, throwing my jacket on. "You better not be here when I get back." I turn around and look at her one last time before I walk out the door, slamming it behind me.

I get in my car and drive to Molly's. It's the only place I can think of going right now. I need to go, have a good time and forget about Arbor, even if it's for the night.

I let myself go and cry the whole way there. I can't stop thinking about her words. How I'm the reason that everyone she loves is dead because of me. I can't help but agree with her words to some degree.

And I hate myself for it.

Finally, I get to Molly's and trudge inside. When I get in I see Lacey, Severide, Herman, and Cruz and one table while Kim, Erin and Sylvie Brett are at another table. I decide to walk over to the bar first where my sister is bar tending.

"Hey, Gabs." I put on a smile.

She grins back at me. My sister's smile is so beautiful with her white teeth between dark ruby lips. "Hey, Tonio!" She says, obviously happy to see me. "Where's Arbor?"

 I do my best to not flinch at the question. "She's tired from the day so she's staying in tonight."

"It's not like you to come out without her." Gabby raises an eyebrow.

I shake my head. "I was almost shot today. So I need tonight. Can you get me a 22 oz lager, a shot of fireball and a shot of Captain?"

"Sure," Gabby says slowly, unsure of my behavior. "What table do you want me to bring it to?"

"The one that Lindsay and Halstead are at." I point towards them.

Gabby nods her head. "Coming right up." She says with hesitation.

I decide to ignore her and walk over to Halstead, Lindsay, Burgess and Brett. I pull up a chair and sit down.

"Hey, Dawson!" Jay greets me happily and slaps me on the back.

"Hey." I nod my head and look at them.

Erin meets my eyes, giving me the same look that Arbor did earlier.

"What?" I snarl, sick of the way they look at me. "Why are you looking at me like that?" My voice rises.

"Woah Antonio," Erin furrows her eyebrow at me. "Calm down."

"You're looking at me like I killed the guy!" I growl.

"I am not." Erin scoffs with shock. "I just wanted to ask you how Arbor is."

"How should I know?" I growl and take the beer and shots that Gabby has on the tray. "Thanks sis." I say quickly to my sister and nod at her. She walks away quickly, obviously knowing to avoid me right now.

"Well didn't she come home?" Erin asks as soon as Gabby walks away.

I nod and down the shot of fireball. "She did."

"And how did she seem?

I down the next shot. "She hates me." I sigh. "She told me she hates me."

"Come on, man," Jay interrupts. "That's not true."

I take of drink from my beer. "It is. She's moving her stuff out right now." I let it out and get up right away, walking back to the bar and order more shots from Gabby.

"Antonio." Sylvie Brett's voice rings in my ears.

I turn from the bar and meet her eyes, raising my eyebrow with curiosity. "What?" I ask as I eye her down.

"You should go home." Brett sighs.

"What?" I ask, startled by her abruptness.

"Arbor sounds hurt. You're her boyfriend and you should go be with her." She states simply.

I turn away from Brett, grabbing two more shots off the bar and walk past her back to the table.

"Antonio, come on!" Brett grabs my arm before I have time to get back to the table. "You need to talk to her."

"I don't need to do anything!" I snarl back. "I need to forget about this for just one night. That's what I need to do. I can't keep someone who don't want to be with me in the first place, Brett." I sigh and down a shot. "If she's there when I get back then I'll know that she still wants me."

"She's going to leave you." Brett tells me, shaking her head. "She's going to think you don't care anymore."

"Maybe I don't." I shrug and walk back to the table, sitting down in my seat once again.

I sit back down and change the direction of the conversation from Arbor to the boxing match that I'm going to be in between our District and Firehouse 51.

***************************************************

"Hey baby, you need to wake up." I hear an unfamiliar voice coo.

I open my eyes, my head pounding and my stomach churning. "Ugh." I moan and sit up. I look up to see a beautiful brunette looking down at me.

"Listen," She smiles at me. "I had a great time last night but It's 6 in the morning and you have to get out of my bed."

I look down at myself, realizing I'm naked and look back up to her in panic. "Where am I?"

She giggles. "My apartment. Don't worry, we used protection."

I feel my stomach drop as I realize what I've done. "Okay." I stutter and get out of bed, finding my clothes and throwing them on. "Thanks for the night, sweet heart." I smirk and walk out.

"Bye." She giggles.

I go outside and hail a cab to Molly's. I grab my car and throw on some cologne and deodorant. I get to work and am relieved to see Voight is the only one there.

I walk into his office and close the door. "Hey." I nod as I take a seat in the chair in front of him.

"Hey, Dawson." He looks up and sees me. "God, you look like shit."

"Thanks." I chuckle for the first time in awhile. "How's Arbor?"

"What do you mean?" He asks.

My stomach drops again. "What? She took her shit to your place last night right?"

"What?" Voight's voice raises. "I haven't seen her since yesterday."

"What?" I ask and stand up.

"What happened?" Voight asks, standing up too.

I run a hand through my hair. "She broke up with me last night is what happened!" I huff, feeling myself start to panic. 

"Did you see her last night after she said she was moving her stuff?"

"No! Of course I didn't!" I stare him down. "I wouldn't be asking you if you saw her!"

"Did you even go home last night?" Voight raises his voice. "Because you don't look like you did!"

"No! I didn't!" I lower my voice.

Voight's jaw line hardens at my response. "I don't want to know what you did last night, just go find my daughter!"

"I'll be back." I growl and storm out of his office and out of the district.

I get in my car and drive as fast as possible to my place.

When I get inside, I get sick at the site.

All of her stuff is gone.

She's gone.

And I don't know where she went.

A/N: Hey guys! I'm sad to say that the next chapter will be the last of the book! :( I hope that you're not disappointed in how the story has turned. I wonder what happened to Arbor though since she didn't go to Voight's. Even though she left Antonio's house. And Antonio had a one night stand!!! Dang! Please vote and comment :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 161 19
Jessica Grace Dawson is daughter to Antonio Dawson who works as a detective at the 21st district run by Sargent Hank Voight. Jessica is 17 years old...
137K 2.8K 32
y/n moves to Chicago trying to get a fresh start, she becomes good friends with some people over at Firehouse 51. One night she meets detective Jay H...
37.2K 513 35
Jordan Hermandez used to be a ranger with Jay but left a few years before him due to her mother's illness. They never spoke again or even knew if eac...
209K 2.3K 29
In the gritty streets of Chicago, Katie finds herself at a crossroads, torn between her tumultuous past and an uncertain future. Escaping an abusive...