Behind My Sister's Back

By Squiggle

When Summer's marriage ends in disaster, her sister, Ali, is there to pick up the pieces. What Summer didn't... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Summer's Return
Chapter 2: The New Head Chef
Chapter 3: Unfortunate Accidents
Chapter 4: Confonting Summer
Chapter 5: The Fight
Chapter 6: Fired
Chapter 7: Surprise!
Chapter 8 [part 1]: New Jobs
Chapter 9: Sneaky
Chapter 10: The Truth
Chapter 11: Goodbye
Chapter 12: Gina's News
Chapter 13: First Day Back
Chapter 14: Friends?
Chapter 15: Birthday
Chapter 16: Party
Chapter 17: ...Awkward (pic of ali)
Chapter 18: Feelings
Chapter 19: Date
Chapter 20: The Past
Chapter 21: Ian
Chapter 22: Jerk
Chapter 23: Unexpected
Chapter 24: Telling Dennis
Chapter 25: Letting Go
Chapter 26: Gina's Finest Ice-Cream
Chapter 27: Jealousy
Chapter 28: Victory
Chapter 29: Just Us
Chapter 30: Lies
Chapter 31: Lisa
Chapter 32: A Close Shave
Chapter 33: A Night To Remember
Chapter 34: Hospital
Chapter 35 [part 1]: Turning Point
Chapter 35 [part 2]: Visits
Chapter 36: The End

Chapter 8 [part 2]: Nice Guy

10.3K 200 17
By Squiggle

-- Ali’s POV --

                I sat on a bench feeling pretty good with myself. I had just handed in my application to the employer and she’d said she’d get in touch if I got an interview. Of course, I didn’t have to go in myself, but Gina had always said it was good to give the employer a chance to see you and put a face to a name.

                It was a very posh restaurant and the chances of me getting a job were slim, but it was worth a shot. If I couldn’t be assistant chef I could always be a helper, but the idea of taking a step down was rather worrying.

                There were a couple of other restaurants in town and my second choice was Kathmandu – an Indian restaurant. If I didn’t get the job that was my next option.

                I stared longingly at my restaurant – the one Dennis had taken over. I could just imagine Lisa and him spending time together in the kitchen. I hoped her face was as messed up as I had intended.

                I felt like going in there and ordering food, just to annoy him, but it would probably backfire. I would probably be the annoyed one while he watched me with a smug smirk on his face. I hated that smirk.

                Just as I was about to stand up, I noticed a couple walking out of the restaurant. When the light shone on their faces, anger boiled up inside me. Dennis and Lisa, the jerk and the slut, were walking hand-in-hand across the road. I assumed it was their break, even though a Head Chef really shouldn’t leave the kitchen. She was giggling foolishly as he spoke and I noticed irritation flicker in his eyes.

                I stared at them and my heart skipped a beat when he saw me. His sparkling blue eyes, so intense, looked at me in surprise. He didn’t take his eyes off me until they reached a shop, where he said something in Lisa’s ear. She nodded resentfully and entered the shop alone. He then turned to me again and began walking in my direction.

                My previous happiness shattered and my stomach felt queasy. I really didn’t want to talk to him, not after what he did, so I stood up,  took a sharp left and walked away quickly.

                I didn’t know why he was following me when it was obvious that I didn’t want him to, but he didn’t give up. When I glanced over my shoulder, I saw he was closer to me than before. He was literally running towards me but in a more dignified manner. I, on the other hand, didn’t care about what I looked like and began to flat-out sprint towards the nearest crowd.

                It would’ve worked (and I would’ve got rid of him) if I had been wearing heels. I started to run and after about five seconds I swayed, my ankle twisting painfully.

                “Ow!” I said a little too loudly, getting a few funny looks. Ignoring them, I brought my leg up and removed the shoe and then began hopping – yes, you heard correctly, hopping – along.

                “Hey, Ali, are you okay?”

                “I’m fine,” I snapped, hating the sound of his voice.

                “Why did you run off?” said Dennis, and his sapphire eyes pierced into mine. He wrapped an arm around my waist as I stumbled, hissing in pain as my ankle bent.

                “Is it not obvious?!” I cried incredulously. “We’re not friends, you jerk. So get... off...!” I growled, curling my fingers around his wrist and yanking his arms away from me.    

                “Ali –” he protested but I shoved him away with as much strength as I could muster and tried to shuffle away from him, but he wouldn’t give up that easily.

                “I. Don’t. Need. Your. Help!” I snarled, breaking up the sentence slowly so he would get it into his thick skull.

                He ignored me. He bent over with his hands reaching out for my legs and I realised what he was about to do.

                “Oh no, you don’t!” I hissed, leaping out of the way. “You are not carrying me.”

                “Fine,” he muttered, and grabbed his arm and put it around his shoulder. “Lean on me,” he ordered as he once again wound his arm around my waist. Huffing, I obeyed because the pain was killing me and people were staring.

                “Good girl,” said Dennis as he walked, me limping alongside him. I have to admit it felt nice; his cologne was irresistibly intoxicating and his chest was warm. It was comfortable. Then I remembered who I was talking about and immediately felt repulsed. This was my brother-in-law, my sister’s husband.

                “Shut up,” I said.

                “You owe me for this,” he said casually, tightening his grip.

                “Never,” I replied firmly. “If that’s how it’s going to be, I’ll manage by myself –”

                “No,” he said quickly.

                “Good,” I said simply.

                We walked (well, he did. I limped) all the way to the bus stop where we sat down in silence. Then something occurred to me suddenly.

                “What about Lisa?” I asked, worried.

                “Who cares?” said Dennis, shrugging.

                Part of me was bitterly relieved by this, happy that Lisa had what was coming to her, happy that she finally got a taste of her own medicine. However, a different (and bigger) part of me felt instantly furious. He was doing the exact same thing to Lisa that he did to Summer! He was chucking her aside like rubbish!

                “You’re stringing her along,” I pointed out harshly.

                “So? The sex is great but I’m not that into her –” he started.

                “Oh! Ew!” I cried, cringing. “Please, Dennis! I don’t want to know the details. You are my brother-in-law!”

                “Not for long,” he responded, smirking.

                I glanced at my watch. When was this bus going to arrive? I didn’t like this conversation one bit.

                “Whatever,” I mumbled.

                “Are we good now?” he asked abruptly, placing his hand on my shoulder.

                “No,” I said sharply, shaking off his hand angrily. “You fired me, you asshole.”

                “Well you did attack a co-worker,” he said but there was definite guilt in his voice. I didn’t care.

                “I had good reasons. Reasons that you know about.”

                “Summer,” he said, sighing.

                “Yes,” I said. “My lovely sister who you called skank.”

                “She is!”

                “Excuse me!” I said indignantly. “She’s not skank! This divorce is your fault!”

                “My fault?” he said, stunned. “Are you... are you kidding me?!”

                We were bickering again. Our voices just kept getting louder and louder. Where was the bus?! I really wanted to get out of there. For a second, I had sort of been okay with Dennis. Just a second, when he’d helped me and I’d been almost hypnotized by his scent. But he was no friend of mine – and he never would be.

               The bus arrived. I felt so relieved and stumbled over to the doors before he could even offer to help.

                “Goodbye,” I said dully.

                “Wait! Ali!”

                “What?” I said, sighing. “I’ve got to go, okay? We’re not good, and we never will be.”

                “I – I’ll give you your job back!” he said desperately. “I’m sorry, alright? I shouldn’t have been so harsh with you!”

                “Too right,” I said.

                “Well? Come on, Ali. They all miss you. Heck, even I miss you.”

                I narrowed my eyes and tried to read his expression. There was guilt in his eyes and desperation on his face.

                “Can’t manage without me?”

                “No,” he shook his head.

                “Well,” I said, hopping onto the bus and handing the driver some money. “You’re too late.”

                “What?” he asked, confused.

                “I’ve already got another job,” I lied easily, smirking. “See you around, Dennis.”

                “Ali – Ali, please –“

                The doors closed and I dragged myself to the first empty seat I found. I didn’t bother looking out the window when we left.

                 He wasn't worth it.

__________________________________________________________

:D Vote? Pretty please? c: This is like the start of their soon-to-be friendship! It gets better and more interesting :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 2.3K 15
"I can't do this anymore" I whispered under my breath. "I can't let you go" he said in a deep voice. "You're being selfish " I yelled at him. " Wi...
797K 36.2K 27
Drunk driving is a big problem in the world. One wrong decision can possibly end someone's life. That's what happened to Kasey Walker. She and her tw...
117K 3.3K 17
"You will either take this money and break all tides with my son and fake your death when he wakes up or I will pull that plug off your mother for he...
1.1M 23.8K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...