Blue Moon Rising

By Triszjhkha

Leaving home was the last thing they wanted, but Serenity and Eric needed the freedom they never had or will... More

Blue Moon Rising
Banana Pancake
Thinking Of You
Teenagers
Kismet
Secrets
Walking On Sunshine
Gravity
Just a moment of your time.
~Again~
~Crawl~
Good Girl Go Bad
Remembering Sunday
Nobody's Home
What Do I Do
Rumor Has It
He Wasn't
Happy
Love Heals
Beautiful Disaster
I'm Still Here
When I Look At You
Butterfly Kisses
A Little Bit Stronger
I'll Stand by You
Taking Chances
Seasons of Love
Ruby Shoes
Collide
On Repeat
First Day High
Stuck with Each Other
I Try
Almost, But Not Quite
Something Evil
Welcoming Strangers
Rest Of My Life
And Then What?
Step Up
Long Day
Waking Up
Element Of Surprise
Missing Part Of Me
A is for Adventure
Boiling Point
Out Of Control
A Step Away Is A Step Closer To You
For You I Will
Writer's Note
Author's Note
Four Degrees of Separation
Daughters
Author's Note
Centuries
Young Volcanoes (Teaser)
Young Volcanoes (Full)

On the Edge

11.2K 375 56
By Triszjhkha

Ken’s POV

There was no response from Aunt Serenity, but her frown was enough for me to know what she was thinking. 

It certainly has been a long day for all of us already.

I turned around at the same moment my mother cut through the water’s surface.

“Mother…” my sisters greet and bowed.

I took a deep breath and collected all courage to walk up to the woman gliding to the banks of the lake, her tail slowly taking the shape of human legs.

She was just as I remembered her, white long hair that shows her wisdom and her deep blue eyes that shows her royal heritage.

“Drakken.” She says, not giving my sisters a glance, I can’t say the same for me though.

“Mother.”

She gave a cold smile and look me over, walking toward me reaching for my face. “You’ve grown.”

“I have.”

“Wiser I hope.” She says, her eyes piercing mine.

“Be careful what you wish for mother.” I said.

She gave a snicker and stepped back, “I’m guessing you still refuse to go home.”

“You guessed correctly.” I said, with more conviction than I wanted, but I’m not arguing.

“I guess sending your sisters was a mistake on my end too.” She says, glancing at them this time, “I sent you to take him home, by force if needed, and yet I seem to be five daughters short at home.”

“Our apologies mother-“

“Silence Allana, your insolence says enough,” my mother cut in, “I cannot have you waste any more of my time.”

I frowned, this was not good. Her mere appearance here is not good at all, much more her anger. I stepped forward to speak for my sisters but what was there for me to say? That I dragged them into this mess? A mess that could start a misunderstanding between weres and meres?

“Your highness…”

Aunt Serenity walked up beside me, just as graceful and calm as she always was. Mother turned to her with a look of disgust, giving her a ones over.

“Aunt Serenity-“

“It’s fine Ken.” She smiles, “An introduction is necessary, don’t you think?”

I stared at her for a moment, she gave me another encouraging smile and it was all I needed to gain my back bone against my mother.

“Mother, meet Serenity, princess of the werewolves, and the daughter of the moon.” I say, “Aunt Serenity, my mother, Queen Leonore of Kendrall the Atlantic Kingdom.”

“It is an honour to finally meet Ken’s mother.” She says holding out her hand, “Now I know where the girls got their lust for surprise visits.”

Mother stared at Aunt Serenity’s hand then at her, “If you are here to persuade me on making my son stay, do not bother, that cannot be done.”

“I’m not.” Aunt Serenity says, “I believe that that is something you and son must decide yourselves, in private if I might add.” She gave me a look, one that I’ve been too familiar with growing up. “But I would want to request one thing.”

“I have no intention of making any bargains with you or with anyone, so there is no sense with us talking, is there, bitch?” I felt the shifters around us stiffened, even Chance has his fist in a ball, controlling himself. “Hold your mutts down and I might listen.”

“Only if you keep your stench away from my family.” Aunt Serenity says with so much calm it was scary. A small smile crept at the edge of my lips. I know I should be siding with my mom, but really, she walked right into that. “It’s rude to bring an army to a quiet town.”

Mother glared at her for a few more seconds until she waved a hand and the calm surface of the water broke again, one by one, mermaids were surfacing , each in a position where they can attack a werewolf.

For a moment I was amazed of Aunt Serenity, even I didn’t felt their presence. Maybe I had been away for too long.

“What is it then?” Mother snapped again.

“Today is my children’s birthday, and I would not break their hearts by having Ken sent away, especially my daughter’s.”

“And what makes you think that I have any care for your daughter?”

“Because if you wish to see me home then you will have to show respect to her, her mother, her family and her kind.” I stepped forward again. “We’ve been through this before mother, I am not leaving my mate.”

“Two different shifters mating have never been heard of Draken.”

“Then we’ll be the first.” I said.

“You are delusional.” She sneered, “Tonight, during the beginning of the seven day blue moon, believe me, your heart will break when she tells you that you are not her mate.”

“That will never happen.” I felt a hand slipped into mine and Fate stood beside me, “We may be of different kind, but love is not so cruel that it will let our specie separate us.”

“Big words for a little girl.”

“A little girl who speaks the truth,” Fate says back, she gave my hand a squeeze, “I am not taking your son away from you, he is free to go home with you when he pleases. I know how hard it is to be far from your family. But I assure you that he is not a stranger in mine.”

Mother stared at her then at our hand, her face not showing any change of opinion.

“That may be the case, but his father is searching for him.” I frowned. “You are aware of his situation, Drakken, and it is your duty as a son and a prince to be where you are supposed to be and in a throne of your own and not in some...” She makes a face as she look around at the wolves and finally at Fate. “Make shift dried twigs.”

“Be careful of your tongue sea witch.” Uncle Aaron sneers.

“Drakken?”

I looked away, remembering father’s weakening body as he slowly age. Unlike other mermaids, father ages slowly as punishment. He has been slowly suffering for decades like an old human.

“I will visit him, but I cannot take the throne, you know that.”

“I did not return to be thrown to jail, Drakken.” She snapped.

“And I am not going home knowing I will lose my freedom.”

Mother gave a low hiss and stepped back. “The princess is right, this is a conversation between us and should only be discussed in privacy.” She turned around and walked back to the water, “I should take my leave then, I know where I am not wanted.”

“You are free to stay, your highness.” Fate says, “It would be an honour to have you as a guest on our 18th birthday.”

“18th birthday huh?” Mother sneered, “The night of shifting for weres.”

“We assure you that you and your daughters are safe-“ Uncle Aaron stepped in.

“Please.” Mother laughs, “What harm can a pack of wolves be to us merpeople, we do not have the brains of a fish you know.”

“Somehow I doubt that.” Uncle Aaron mumble.

Aunt Serenity nudges him, hard from the looks of the pain on his face.

“My daughter is right, it will be an honour to have Royal family of the water element to join our celebration.” She says, “Also, it would be nice to have the soon to be king’s mother present when I present him to my brother, the king, in court.”

I turned to her surprised. I’ve met the king, uncle Siam as he liked to be called, but I never thought she’d actually present me in court.

“I’m sorry Aunt Serenity.” Allana says.

“It’s fine; to be honest I was doubtful from the start anyways.”

“Well, we should keep our eyes on her, so we might as well stay with her until she goes home.”

“What about the party?” Fate asked.

“You’ll be fine, Fate.” Miranda says, “Our brother will take care of you.”

I shrugged, “I’m sorry about this you guys, Aunt Serenity…”

“Hush, it’s nothing. If any, this is perfect.” Aunt Serenity says as she walks ahead of us with Uncle Aaron. “I would love to see her face when we’ve proven that you two are indeed mates.”

I chuckled and turned to Fate seeing her shake her head, amused.

“Mom,” Chance whined. “I told you to stop feeding his big head ideas of staying. Isn’t it enough he’s a detachable member of our family?”

I gave him a playful hit on the nape making him grin my way and walking beside his mom.

“But I would admit, I didn’t expect her coming.” Miranda said.

“I know.” Camilla says, “That would have gone so much better if it was grandmother.”

“Grandmother?” Uncle Aaron asked. “You mean her mother?”

“No, father’s mother, the real queen of the sea.” Allana says. “After father admitted what happened, mother and her family escaped the kingdom, but when father began getting sick grandmother had the whole sea searched for mother; that was about when Ken was around four years old.”

“And you don’t like her?” Chance asks me, “I read that much anyway.”

“Chance.” Fate snapped.

“What?” Chance asked, “I’m the best friend, I deserve to know.”

I shrugged, “Chance is right, I never really like her, for a reason too.”

“She forced Ken to do princely stuff, you know… swim around the kingdom but not converse with the mermaids. They made the people think that he was proud and too good for them.” Erin explained.

“As if being the only merman and the symbol of our father’s failure is not enough of a reason for people to hate him.”

I sighed and stared ahead, thinking of the truth in my sisters’ words. I felt Fate gave my hand a light squeeze, I turned to her and she smiled at me.

“It’ll be fine Ken, mom is right, with her here it’s easier to make her understand things.” Fate says as I just stared at her, “There’s nothing to worry about, ok?”

I forced a smile and nodded, “Ok.”

“Urgh, aren’t you putting a stop to this mom?” Chance whined again, “There should be some rule when you or dad is present.”

“And I’m sure you’d like those rules very much when you find your mate.” Fate snaps back and stuck out her tongue at his older twin brother.

For a quick second I saw Chance stiffen as if he remembers something.

“Aw, is Chance realizing his words a little too late?” Miranda teased.

“Miranda.” I warned her and glanced at Chance who gave me a weak nod of thanks. “We should go start preparing for the party.”

“But that’s hours away.” Fate whined, tightening her hold on my hand.

“And there’s so much needed to be done.” I said.

 “Like?” she stops and crosses her arms, pouting.

I chuckled and faced Fate, “Like getting you the perfect gift.” Her jaw dropped before hitting me on the arm. “Ow…”

“You don’t have my gift yet?” she snapped.

“That’s something I don’t want to get in the middle of.” Aunt Serenity says as she continues to walk on, along with the others.

“Good luck.” Chase says and followed her mom making me roll my eyes.

“Well?” Fate crossed her arms and gave me a look.

 “Well…”

“I kept your gifts from you for weeks, fyi.”

I chuckled, “And you should trust that I already have, at least, one gift for weeks.”

She rolled her eyes, “I don’t need numerous gifts Ken.”

“Yeah, but I want to give you all that you want, love.”

“Well, I’d rather you spend the day with me until it’s time for the party.”

I sighed, my smiled not faltering. “I know, and I wouldn’t want anything as much, but…” I glanced at Chance, “Chance needs me.”

She turns towards where Chance was walking away with Aunt Serenity and the others.

“Is it still about Hope?” she asked, saddened.

“Yeah…” I followed her gaze. “That and more.”

“You ok?” I asked sitting at the sofa in Chance’s room.

I watch him for a few seconds as he lay in his bed staring at the ceiling. It was his way of telling me he wants to be alone and think. So I just made myself comfortable and grabbed the nearest reading material scattered all over the room.

If there was anything they got from Aunt Serenity, aside from music, was her love of a good literature. I remembered how she would make them stay at home for at least three hours during Saturday to read.

It wasn’t something Fate, Chance and Hope liked to miss either. Aunt Serenity can be very animated when she tells them of a book she had recently read.

“Hm, Hope for Flowers…” I said, flipping through the pages, “Hope finally got you to read it, huh?” No answer, “A semester too late, but you know what they say, better late than never.”

I grinned and could just see him roll his eyes with me annoying him “Still would have done you good to read it when you were asked last time-“

He then sits up and pitched a pillow at me, which I conveniently caught. Hey, I’m not his partner in the field for nothing.

“What are you doing here?” he snapped.

“Well, it’s my best friend’s birthday and-“

“And your girlfriend’s as well, now leave me alone.”

I chuckled, closed the book and set it down. “A while ago you were forcing your mom to separate me from your sister, now you’re making me stick with her?”

“Please…” he drops back down in bed, “as if my jokes would actually get you two and agree on separating.”

“Fat chance of that happening, buddy, you’re not that good a friend Chance.” I teased.

“Then maybe you can just leave me alone if I’m not such a good friend.” He snapped again.

“No.”

“What?”

“I said-“

“You do know that it isn’t a good time to taunt me right?” he snaps, “You heard Aunt Jean-“

“Please, I have the water, I can just drown you mangy butt.”

He raises his head and gave me a look. One that was far from angry.

I shrugged and gave him a look, “How are you?”

“I don’t know.” He mumbled dropping his head back on his pillow and stare at the ceiling. “Aunt Jean has a point doesn’t she?”

“That Hope is in danger? Yeah…” I walk up to his bed and lied down near the foot of the bed, staring at the ceiling as well. “But if you mean that she’s in danger with you, we both know that’s crap.”

“Is it?” he whispers that I barely heard him. “Hope is in danger with me shifting, with vampires attacking us, with this war, mom…”

“Hey, hey…” I sat up and faced him, “You have been with her for the last 18 years, why do you doubt yourself now?”

“Cause I didn’t know who I really was the last 18 years.” He groaned, “I didn’t know I have this… this…”

“Other being?”

“This higher being inside me.” He sighed, “Before my purpose was just to be her big brother. But now...”

“You are so much more.” I continued for him, he looked up at me, surprised. “You are more than just a big brother who devotes in protecting Hope, you are an alpha, you are a royalty and probably half a deity, you are blessed with powers that we don’t know the limits of.” He shrugged, looking defeated, “But most of all, you are a man. A man given the responsibilities to lead a pack of strong beings, a royalty given the opportunity to be a figure to be heard, a deity blessed with wisdom, blessed with limitless power that can be used for good. You have all these but you need more, you need someone to share your responsibilities, someone to stand beside you alone or in a crowd, someone who will show you what you can’t understand, someone who gives you the power to move on. That’s Hope for you, as that is what Fate to me.”

He shook his head, “No, it’s unacceptable-“

“She isn’t your sister, Chance.” I said, exasperated.  “How many times do I have to say-“

“I want to understand it! I want to believe it! You don’t know how thankful I am to know the truth, that I’m not some sick guy lusting and stalking his sister. I have accepted that fact- embraced it and thanked God for it.”

“Then what’s wrong?”

He sighed, “What if she doesn’t want anything to do with me? What if she sees the exact same thing as aunt Jean?”

“What? That you are Chance the boy she raised and the same boy Hope grew up with and protected her from douche and bullies? Well, I don’t think you don’t need to worry about anything.”

“Ken, stop colouring things that are black and white.” He rolls his eyes.

“Who said it was black and white in the first place?” I said, “Pencilling in the fine lines and leaving without even trying to finish what you started.”

He doesn’t’ answer and just sighed.

“You don’t have to be with her now, we all know what we’ve been finding out the last few weeks will probably quicken the grey hairs from coming, but there’s still time, that’s what you remember and that’s what you hold on to.” I stood up and leaned on his bed post, “Opportunities like this doesn’t come often Chance, grab it, hold on and try.”

I watched him for a few seconds until he nodded.

“Good, now c’mon.” I said.

“Where?” he looks up at me.

“We’re getting Hope a gift.”

“What?”

“Aunt Jean got her stabled around the time we arrived, according to your grandma she’ll be up and about by the end of the night.”

“Why do we need to get her anything?” he asked.

I shrugged, “Well, your sister allowed me to stay with you for…” I checked my watch, “half an hour.” He raised a brow, “Let’s just say that she’s just as worried of you as I was, but doesn’t agree on me being away. So I promised to perk you up as quick as I could then we’d go out to buy Hope her dress for tonight’s party, am guessing you’d want to choose the dress.”

He gave me a look for a second, one that he gets when we talk about Hope.

“Well?”

He chuckled and shook his head, “My sister got you on a leash, merman.”

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever mutt.”

“Hey, this mutt is a powerful- half of a deity with people who can make catnip out of you.” I raised a brow at him, amused. He raised his hands up as if surrendering, “Your words, not mine.”

I chuckled and shook my head, “Walked into that one…” I mumbled, “Well, are you coming or not?”

He nods and stood up, “But we just need to get shoes.”

“What?”

“Do you really think I’d let Hope wear a dress from the rack?” he asked, “I asked mom to have a dress done for Hope, in case she wakes up for tonight. But I haven’t gotten the chance to buy shoes.”

“Well, lucky us that is Fate’s specialty.”

“We are never taking you to the mall again.” Chance says four hours later.

“What?” Fate whined, “It was fun.”

“For you.” Chance says, “How mom and Hope keeps up with you is beyond me.”

“Hey, I helped you with Hope’s shoes.” Fate snaps.

“And you helped yourself with shopping the whole afternoon away.” Chance says, “We were just supposed to get Hope’s shoes and a gift or two, not sold out every store we step into.”

“Well, there were really good pieces and-“

“Ok, ok… stop it you two, we’re home, let’s just get some rest, your mom expects you to be with her in an hour for hair and make-up.”

“But I want to see Hope and show her the clothes I got her.” She whined.

“Love, Hope is still asleep.” I said.

“How sure are you?” she pouts.

“Your parents would have called if she woke up.” I said, “Now, go grab a nap and rest your feet or else you’ll never last the night.”

“Fine.” she shrugs, “I’ll see you in a few hours?”

“I’ll pick you up in your room.” I give her a kiss on the forehead.

“Thank you for today.” She says in a whisper.

“Anything for you princess.”

She giggled and shook her head, “That can’t be any precise right now.”

I laughed and nodded, “You’ve always been my princess Fate.” I said, “And no matter what happens tonight, everything will be fine.”

She nods, “It will be fine Ken, I’m sure of it.”

I smiled and leaned down to give her a kiss.

“Hey, big brother- slash- best friend here?” Chance butts in.

“Well, why don’t the annoying big brother- slash- best friend be gone?” Fate says giving his brother a glare.

“I would want that, but it is mating that we are talking about here, and you two can’t be trusted.”

“What?” Fate snaps, her face burning up.

“He’s just kidding love, don’t listen to him.” I said, giving her a quick kiss. “Anyway, I need to prepare for tonight.”

“Uncle Siam will be easy on you,” she smiles at me, “I just can’t promise the same thing for your mother.”

“That’s all I need to know then.” I joked. “I’ll see you later.”

She nods and let goes of me, “Love you!” she called out as she opened the door of her room.

“Love you more!” I called back as I made my way to my room.

“Love you guys too.” Chance throws in as he made his way to his own room making me and Fate chuckle.

I knocked on the door for the nth time and checked my watch.

7:45 I shrugged, “Lana, c’mon! We’d both be late for the party.”

Finally, after 15 minutes of waiting I heard a scuffle inside and thumping.

Please don’t tell me she just woke up. I silently prayed.

I was waiting for her for about half an hour at the gates when I overheard one girl about how hilarious it was to see a half breed cry over her ugly ruined gown. In an instant I knew it was Lana they were talking about.

The door swung open and Lana stood there in her pyjamas glaring at me, I looked her over and raised a brow.

“Uh, I should have told you that it’s a formal party?“ I teased.

“I’m not going.” She snapped and turned her back at me and was about to slam the door shut on my face.

“What?” I blocked the door before it closed.

“I said I’m not going.” She shouted pushing the door close. I rolled my eyes and gave a small push opening the door enough for me to slip in.

She glared at me harder and screamed at my face before marching off to her bathroom. I shrugged and followed her, “What I meant was why are you not going?”

“Cause!”

“Cause what?”

“I don’t want to go, ok?”

I looked around the room and saw a discarded and obviously torn cloth, which I’m assuming was her gown on the floor. But another simpler gown laid on her bed, and if my opinion mattered, that gown was better.

I leaned on the wall and crossed my arms. “Lana if it’s about those girls who ruined your gown-”

The door swung open wide, “How do you know about that?”

“The same reason I came here, I overheard them and came here to check on you.” I said casually, “And the ruined gown is all over your floor.”

She frowned and glanced at the ruined dress before she slammed the door shut again on my face.

I sighed, “Lana, there has got to be a more valid reason than that crap and-“

I was cut off short again by her opening the door, glaring at me angry.

“It’s not just a fucking crap to me! Can’t you get that through your thick fish head?”

I frowned and took a step back seeing her glaring eyes. “Whoah, whoah, hold it there little miss. I’m just trying to help you here. Fate is expecting you to join us and I’ll be dead before she is disappointed on her birthday.”

I caught her lip flinched and turned to walk back into the bathroom.

But I stepped ahead and blocked her way. “Lana, Lana, why don’t you calm down and tell me what’s really going on.” I said and looked over her shoulder, “Cause from the looks of it, you want to go to this party as much as the next girl.”

She followed my sight and her face calmed the moment she saw the gown on her bed along with a new pair of shoes.

I heard her sigh and dropped her head, “I’m sorry.”

“What’s going on Lana?”

She walks to the edge of her bed and sat down, “I just thought I shouldn’t be dragging you into my mess. I mean, I appreciate the help and the friendship and all, but Fate and Chance has enough problems as it is-“

“You are not a problem at all Lana,” I smiled and reaching for her shoulder, “now dress up, I’ll call Chance and ask him to stall a little.”

“Stall?”

“Yeah, a little tantrum or panic attack will do, can you be ready in 15 mintues?”

“I think so.” She says.

“You can have your make up done on the car or in Fate’s room.”

“Why does he have to stall?”

“I told you, Fate wants you to be there.” I grinned and looked over my shoulder, “I’d be dead first before I let this day be ruined for Fate.”

“Don’t let others hear you say that.” She lowered her head and mumbled, her voice laced with worry.

I shook my head and smiled, “Go get dress, I’ll be right outside.” She nodded and I rushed out of the room and called Chance.

“So far so good.” I turned around and saw Chance walk up to me, glass of punch in hand.

“You can say that.” I said looking back at the dance floor and watch Fate dancing with Uncle Eric.

“Someone should tell mom I’m the other twin who’s celebrating the birthday.” He added.

I chuckled and saw Aunt Serenity dancing with Uncle Aaron. She had been dancing the whole night, after the twins had been introduced and rightfully given their position in the royal family, Aunt Siam had announced the dancing to begin and aunt Serenity hasn’t stopped since.

“Well, can you blame them?” I grinned taking another sip of my own drink, “You are supposed to be in the dungeon with your cousin.”

He sighed, “I’m glad I’m not.” I followed his gaze and saw Uncle Cole who was asked to join the party while Aunt Jean was left caring for Hope.

“She’ll be fine.” I said, “You should be thankful she isn’t here with all these alpha boys.”

We looked around and saw many new shifters eyeing other she wolves, some of them eyeing Fate on the dance floor.

“I guess, but still.” He shrugged, “I can deal with boys better than this.”

True.

“Ken!” we both turn and saw Fate running toward us and instantly took my hand. “Chance, there you are, a lot of the ladies are looking for you.”

Chance rolled her eyes, “Last time I tried being where I’m not supposed to be I was thrown over the terrace and thus why we’re here.”

“Don’t be a drama queen, big brother.” She chuckled, “Dangerous or not, you are still a royalty and looking for his mate.”

I frowned and glanced at Chance who looked down at his drink before taking it with one gulp.

“Fate, princess, how about a dance?” I cut in.

“Finally, I thought you’d never ask.” She says.

I chuckled and shook my head, “You’d be fine buddy?”

“Yeah,” he checked his watch, “I’ll go check on Hope for a minute.”

“Are you sure?” Fate asked. “We can go with you.”

Chance smiled at her and gave her a kiss on the forehead, “I’ll be fine baby sister, I’ll just be gone while you’re romantic dance. Cause I swear that could just be the push I need for my wolf.”

Fate and I laughed as Chance gave us a shocked face.

“We’ll see you in a few then.” Fate says. Chance nods and leaves the ball room.

“Shall we?” I reached out for her hand making her chuckle, “We shall.” She says with amusment.

We walked toward the dance floor and the moment we stepped out everyone’s eyes were on us.

“So much for not being the centre of attention.” She shrugs as we started dancing.

I grinned, “Well, you can’t blame them, I am with the prettiest girl in the room.”

Fate gave me a look and smiled, “Or because I’m a trophy for these boys.”

I shrugged and looked around seeing some of the alpha boys glaring my way.

“Yeah, maybe…” I mumbled, holding back my anger.

“Hey, hey, it’s alright…” she says making me turn my head to face him. “I’ve danced with pretty much every one of those boys and there’s nothing.”

“The day has not ended yet.” I said.

“And it would not end with us breaking.” She says. “Remember what mom said, we’d be fine.”

I nodded and forced a smile, kissing her on the forehead.

“So tell me, is it true?”

“What is?”

“Lana almost didn’t come.”

I frowned, “Yeah, some girls ruined her gown so she couldn’t come.”

“Good thing they did, or we would have never seen her on her gown.” She grinned, “She was beautiful.”

“Not as beautiful as you, but yeah.”

She stifles a laugh, “Well I’m glad you got her here even if Chance had to steal the cake and hide it for half an hour in his room.”

I chuckled and shook my head, “I wanted the night to be perfect, you can’t blame me. That reminds me…”

I let go of her and reached into my pocket.

“First gift.” I said and pulled out a small box. “I asked Miranda to get this at home.”

“What?”

I opened the box and pulled out its content.

“A black pearl?”

I smiled, “This is my black pearl.” She gave me a questioned look, “We are given all given one so we will always find our way home, with you wearing it I will always find you and you are always connected to the water.” I slipped it in her finger, “And this is also a promise ring that no matter what tonight’s outcome is, everything will be fine. I will always be with you protecting you and all those who you love.”

Fate smiled as she stared at the ring for a second then the next she had her arms around me, “Thank you so much Ken, I love it!”

“Good, cause there’s no refund.” I joked.

“Yeah, well, now it is more than perfect.” She gave me a smile and rested her head on my chest.

I rested my chin on top of her head and held her closer and tighter, finally alone and satisfied and-

“Excuse me, princess, but I was wondering if I may have this dance?”

We both turned to a boy with his blond hair slicked back, from his scent and physique I’m guessing he’s a full grown wolf.

“I’m sorry but I am dancing with my boyfriend right now.” Fate says.

“Boyfriend?” he chuckled, “You, little lady, are up for grabs for us young alphas, you are not supposed to have a boyfriend.”

I frowned and tried to calm myself down.

“Well, I’m sorry, but I do have one and I am sticking to his side-”

“Until you find your rightful mate.”

“Until I see fit.” Fate snaps again.

I looked around not wanting to attract any curious eyes, but I was too late. Some of the alpha boys were already glaring our way, at me in particular. But that was not what caught my attention.

In the midst of the angry look was Lana’s smirk and hateful eyes, staring right at us. I frowned and pulled Fate back.

“Something’s not right.” I whispered.

“What did you say fish boy?” the alpha boy in front of me asked.

“Fate, we need to find your mom.” I grabbed her hand and was about to look for Aunt Serenity.

“You are not going anywhere with anyone, merman.” Another alpha boy says.

“Ken, what’s going on?” Fate asked.

“We need to find Uncle Eric and-“

“I said stay there!” The first alpha boy grabbed me by the neck and pushed me back, resulting for me to push Fate back and her falling on the floor.

“Fate!” I kicked the alpha boy off me and rushed to help Fate.

“I’m fine,” she says, “I can’t say the same for that boy though.” She glared at him and was about to walk toward the boy but I stopped her.

“No, Fate, we need to find your dad and-“

“I don’t get it.” The alpha boys says again, “He pushed you and embarrassed you and yet you stand with him.”

I turned around and saw my sisters move toward us but I shook my head.

“First a prince that cannot shift, then a coward deity, while her son not shifting. Now a bitch saying her mate is a fish. What has the great Grey Royal Family had become?”

“Hold your tongue Francis!” I turned and saw Uncle Aaron walked toward us. “You may be one of the strongest Alphas, but you are still within the pack laws, your words are prosecutable for treason.”

“Says the lap dog.” Francis, yeah the jerk has a name, “I have had enough of you and your training and-“

“Then take your leave.” Uncle Aaron says.  “The king has his eyes on you, let that be the only thing he lays on.”

I moved my eyes to where the throne was set and saw Uncle Siam, Uncle Liam and Uncle Jake watching us, along with other alphas. I frowned, what the alpha boy just said is true and accusation of treason could just mean we are hiding something.

“This is unnecessary,” I said, “I understand the young alpha’s anger toward me, but I cannot say the same for his attack on the royal family. My most sincere apologies, King Siam, for the trouble my presence had brought.”

“Ken…”

“It is alright, Prince Ken, no apologies are necessary.” King Siam says across the room, “Come forward.”

I took a deep breath, I stole a glance to where Lana was earlier but she was no longer there. So I took Fate’s hand and lead her to the throne.

“Ken what’s going on?”

“I guess I’d be introduced to your uncle earlier than planned.”

We both turned to Uncle Siam who was looking way to regal for his amusement. I tightened my hold of Fate’s hand.

“Mom’s there, don’t worry.”

And at the very same moment, Aunt Serenity and Uncle Eric stepped out among the crowd and stood at the foot of the throne.

“Ken.” Uncle Eric gives me a nod

“Uncle Eric.” I gave a low bow. “Aunt Serenity.”

Aunt Serenity gave me a smile and turned to her brother, “My brother I present to you Drakken, prince of the Merpeople of Atlantic City.”

“Prince Drakken, welcome to the land of Wolves.” Uncle Siam says and waved me to step closer.

I stepped forward and to my surprise so did Fate.

“Fate, is there something-“

“I stand beside my mate, Uncle Siam, is there something wrong with that?” Fate speaks up.

The room burst into whispers.

“Your mate?” Uncle Siam asked, “Are you sure? Tonight is the night that you are-“

“I have been sure even before I learned about werewolves and merpeople.” Fate asked. “And I believe my parents had seen enough proof of that.”

Uncle Siam turned to Aunt Serenity and Uncle Eric, “I can speak for both of us, that my daughter’s words are true.”

Uncle Siam gave us another look, “Ok then, what is the business of the merpeople here?”

I looked over my shoulder and saw my sisters and my mother standing behind me.

“There is a prophecy, a union of two shifters to create peace within the elements.” I started saying.

“Fishtail!” someone from the crowd shouts.

The room began buzzing again and shouts from all over the room broke.

“The only shifter we know are the wolves.”

“The only prophecy is with the Daughter of the Moon!”

“We need no help from anyone!”

I frowned and looked around before turning to Uncle Siam who shrugged, “You heard my people and I’m afraid I have to agree.” He stood up and looked down at me, “Given that you are supposedly the mate of my niece, the daughter of our said deity, it does not mean that we would believe this fish folks’ prophecy.” Then he gave Fate and I a look and chuckled, “Much more agree that you and my niece are the ones who are to make this prophecy come true.”

“What are you saying Uncle?” Fate asked.

“That as powerful as you and your brother seems to be, I will not allow a union between my kind and another.”

“What?” Fate steps forward.

“A union of two shifters mean an unbalanced world.” Uncle Siam turned to me, “I believe you have overstayed your welcome.”

“No!”

“Siam!” Aunt Serenity steps forward and moved beside me.

“We all have our places in this world you all should know where you belong.”

“Siam, what is-“

A loud roar broke all throughout the room and the guards were running out.

“What’s going on?” Fate asked.

“Chance!” Uncle Eric turned to run out of the room when a group of alphas block his way. “What is going on Siam?”

The she wolves and younger ones were moved across the room while the male fighters moved around us.

“Jean was right,” Siam sighed, “control of a wolf is admirable, but Chance being who he is, needs to shift tonight, or his power will be a danger to all of us.”

“What are you saying?”

“His powers come from his wolf, until his wolf does not come out, he will be a renegade… almost like a rogue.”

“Siam stop this!”

“No, you have been gone too long, your children know nothing about this world, if I have to tie them and lock them up I will.”

More growls were heard outside and more guards were rushing out of the room.

“He is strong.” Uncle Siam says, “I will give you that much Eric.”

“Siam, we came home to ask for protection-“

“And this is how I am protecting you and our kind.” Uncle Siam hissed.

“Siam what are you doing?” Aunt Anna asked.

“Protecting this family.” Uncle Siam says.

Another growl rang across the place was followed by glass breaking.

“He’s too strong.” Uncle Aaron says.

“All fighters are to go to-“

“They’re already there Siam.” Uncle Jake says.

“And that means no defence around the royal family.” We all followed where the voice came from and saw a man standing by the window. “Well, you can’t blame me for this one, princess.”

“Yuri…” Aunt Serenity says.

“Well, this is quite a mess.” He says, jumping from the window and amongst the crowd who parted. “The prince up in the tower, a sleeping little girl at the other side of the house and a rogue wolf outside, quite a party you have. Almost like the one you ruined for the hunters, do you remember princess?”

“You are not welcome here, blood sucker, leave.” Uncle Siam says.

“Please, King Siam, you very much know that I will not listen to your kind.”

“What do you want?” Uncle Eric says.

“A front sit to the beginning of war of course,” he chuckles, “the earth shifters turning away water shifters, vampires are lucky to not be part of this.”

“That’s because you are dead.” Uncle Jake says.

“And how lucky can I be to be able to walk around still.” He sneered. “Now, to get what I came for.”

I pushed Fate back and stepped forward.

“Brave prince, except this isn’t your place.” He says.

“My place is beside my mate, protecting her.” I glared at him.

“Well, who will protect you?”

“What-“

Before I could even move I heard a scream among the crowd and saw Lana.

“Let her go!” Fate runs to her, but I grabbed her by the wrist.

“No.” I said, “Stay away from her.”

“Ken its Lana and-“

I shook my head, “I can’t trust anyone right now.”

“Listen to your boyfriend princess.” Lana says before breaking into a smirk, and raised her hand a where a ball of fire appeared. “He knows when to trust someone.”

Before I know it, I was engulfed with fire.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 248 13
No life is easy, we all fight tooth and nail to survive, humans and none humans. None of us come out of this alive. But we fight like hell to protect...
29.4K 1K 27
All of Angel's life she has been a slave and mistreated. Her life has been filled with sadness and pain. Her mother and father were killed by rouges...
1.2K 42 39
When Luna went to a bar one Friday night, all she wanted was to forget her ex. Something she instantly did when she met that one person, who was abou...
31K 847 25
(Not a new story just revised and edited) Jessie is starting her final year in high school and it isn't easy with Missy, her elementry friend turned...