The Cursed Alpha

Por amustmna

Frey Evans was cursed at a young age to be emotionless because of her father's mistakes. She grew up knowing... Más

Finding him
He's Staying
Hurt and Pain
Is He Worth It?
Kids
The Fight
Worry, Relief, and not Petrified?
The Smile
Party
Brother
Changing Moods
Patience, Alpha
The Farmers
He needs to Learn
Education

Parties

39 1 0
Por amustmna

FREY POV

I had told Zane that he didn't need to write the thank you cards with me, but he had insisted. I tried not to feel too happy about that, but emotions were still new to me, and I couldn't control them too well. I had asked Yaps to keep it at bay for me, but she had just smirked and swished her tail before telling me that I was stuck being happy for a while. Even though she seemed carefree, I knew that her time with the kids hadn't been enough time out for her. Me and her would have to go on a run soon. It would be difficult to stay with Zane while in wolf form, but I would see what I could do.

"You're sending thank you notes to Herring?" Zane's incredulous tone of voice brought me back to the present. I blink, and pick up another blank card.

"He's a very good ally to have," I explain.

"So? He's afraid of you, I'm sure he wouldn't do anything to you or your pack if you didn't invite him over,"

There's so many things to say, I'm not sure where to start.

"Well... it's more about me introducing you to his pack than trying to be polite at this point," I start, "But still, it would be suspicious if I didn't invite him. And anyway, it's not on our pack lands. There's a neutral zone a few miles away, and we'll be hosting the party there,"

"Why?"

I blink. What sort of pack was Zane from? He didn't even know the most basic werewolf tradition or etiquette. I was beginning to think that he was raised by humans. It would explain his odd scent. I would have to ask him later, though.

"Well, it's insurance that we're not just leading them into a trap." Zane still looked a little confused, so I went back into werewolf history. "A long time ago, Alphas were very power hungry—more so than they are now. They used these types of gatherings as a way to take over another Alpha's land. After a few Alphas realized it was ruining trust in alliances, and scaring their packs, they put up a treaty, I guess, which every Alpha since has signed. Basically, it had a bunch of rules saying that Alphas making alliances couldn't do it with harmful intentions to the other pack, and any party/festival had to take place at a neutral third party location, to avoid any nerves."

I got back to work, and soon, Alpha Herring's pack's thank you cards were finished. I took a five minute break. One minute of pushups, one minute of crunches, one minute of tricep dips, one minute of pull-ups, and the last minute of just rest. Zane stared at me like I was crazy, then quickly looked away.

You should do that more often, Yaps smirked.

Why? I asked. She knew I did it as often as I remembered to. It wouldn't do if the pack's Alpha was the weakest in the pack.

I think *Bark with a hint of a growl* likes it.

I rolled my eyes. Whatever, you know we have to go train soon.

When should I tell *low pitched grumble* that we'll be joining?

Just tell him sometime within the next few days.

You know how much he hates unspecific times, You know how much he hates unspecific times, Yaps growled in amusement.

And you can tell him how unpredictable my schedule is.

Yaps quieted down and I got back to work. I started sending Informings out to my pack. I told Zane how the day was supposed to go as I worked. I got him to start going through the sheriff's reports, and gave him a stack of files of all of my pack's wolves for him to cross check the reports against. The wolves which were clearly a part of my pack were in one pile, and he left another pile with wolves he wasn't sure about.

"But why do you even have them anymore?" he asked. "Can't your pack members come up to you with their problems any time?"

"They can," I agree, "I'm not really strict about that sort of thing, like a lot of other Alphas are. It's just a time thing, really. People can free their day, and that way they won't forget to ask about something they wanted to come to me with. And this way, if they have a problem with someone, both people can come to me at the same time. It's just simpler."

"Wow, this is a pretty organized system for a bunch of blood-thirsty wolves." I don't think Zane meant for me to hear, but I did anyway. I tried to hide my hurt, but Yaps wasn't having it. She got angry, and I always got angry when she got angry. I was getting better at controlling that emotion, but I wasn't perfect at it.

"Here, can you file these?" I ask, trying to sound normal, but it comes out a bit stiff. I try my hardest to look into his chocolate orbs, but he avoids my gaze. I try harder to calm myself down by inhaling a deep breath of his scent.

It was nice, as always, but an odd sort of under-scent lingered.

What's that?

It's new for you, Yaps answers, What color do you think?

You know I'm not good with emotions and scents. I frown.

Periwinkle, she sighs. He's apologetic. It's a type of hurt, she answers my unasked question.

I'm happy that he at least felt a little hurt because he hurt me. I smile at Zane,

"You know," I say, "Every once in a while, there are a few Alphas who have parties at their own pack houses."

"Every once in a while? What, some sort of special occasion?" he questions.

"I guess. Sometimes it just brings morale up to have a party—a real party—at the pack house. I was thinking it would be stressful to have so many out of territory celebrations, and I was wondering your thoughts on having a party. Here. At the pack house."

Zane stares at me for a minute, like he can't believe I was actually asking his opinion on something like this.

"Isn't this like... a big decision? Why would you ask me my opinion?"

"These parties are for you," I remind him with a smile. "And you're my mate. I love you. Why wouldn't I ask your opinion?"

His heartbeat stutters, and I look at him in concern.

"Yeah," he manages. "I-I think it'd be a good idea. The party."

I smile at him and get back to work. It takes him a minute, but he goes back to filing, too.

An in-territory party? Are you serious? Yaps demands.

I think he'll like it, I say.

You're going to kill yourself, Yaps sounds sad, and it makes me feel cold.

I'll be fine. I'll just have to go over the treaties tonight and make some copies before starting to re-figure out the budgets, and sending the king a request for a delay on our taxes next year.

Yaps stays silent, and I bask in the happiness I can smell rolling off Zane. I knew he would like the party.

________________________________________________________________________

ZANE POV

I couldn't believe she actually asked my opinion on something that seemed like a big deal. I hadn't exactly been the ideal mate to her, and now she was actually talking to me, like a person who hadn't repeatedly tried to cheat on her.

I ignored the growling of my wolf inside my chest and look over at her scrunched up form. I smiled. She was just so cute when she was concentrated. And when she was working out, I can't lie and say she wasn't hot. But my favorite part about her was when she was honestly feeling. I saw her hurt earlier, and her anger. And then her happiness. And those emotions filled her eyes much better than any blank look.

Before, being her mate was a burden, but now I'm sort of glad that I was the one to coax those beautiful emotions out of her. Honestly, I felt special when she smiled at me and emotionlessly looked at the next guy to walk through the door. It made me feel more special that it should have. I tried to push the wolf's emotions out of my chest, but he wasn't there. I came to the startling realization that I actually liked my mate. It wasn't even the wolf's emotions anymore. They were mine.

I looked at her and bit my lip in my worry. I had been a jerk to her for weeks. She said she loved me, but did she even know what that meant? What if I helped her get her emotions back, but then she ended up with her Beta? It was obvious he loved her. The thought made me angrier than it should have. My wolf didn't even say anything, so I couldn't tell him to go away. No. These emotions were all me. And I wasn't exactly sure what to do about that.

ʽ]q'0

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

483K 14.9K 24
Mia Ross has been running since she was 13. Now 17, with her 19 year old brother, she is still running. From whoever killed her parents along with he...
531 54 19
(COMPLETED) Ana is a sweet, beautiful and smart girl. All her life she was emotionally abused. She grew up with a broken family. She never saw it com...
138K 3.4K 17
Shayna wants nothing more than to leave her pack and become a loner, never tied down and playing by her own rules, but to do that she has to make to...
403K 21.2K 41
She's a fighter filled with anger and who does not trust easily if at all. Losing her dad 6 months ago Mac ended up with her who then shipped her off...