Demon(#Wattys2017 Entry)

By TimmyLail

Black Griffin. A mercenary company well known for their efficient tactics and dominance of war. The Sile... More

Names/Terms In The Story
Chapter 1:Army of Sawaln
Chapter 2:Griffin Strikes
Chapter 3:Why must I cry?
Chapter 4:The Mark
Chapter 5:The Cost of Tears
Chapter 6:Home
Chapter 7:Clouded Vengeance
Chapter 8:Sharp Horns
Chapter 9:Escort
Chapter 10:Stone
Chapter 11:Fake
Chapter 12:Why?
Chapter 13:What am I?
Chapter 14:Triple Dragon
Chapter 16:Aurega Pride
Chapter 17:Crossed Swords
Chapter 18:T.H.A.R.S.O.O.C.
Chapter 19:Lost Innocence
Chapter 20:Scars
Chapter 21:Vas'Tirren
Chapter 22:Gates of Tirren
Chapter 23:Manacast
Chapter 24:Stealth
Chapter 25:Charge
Chapter 26:Trapped
Chapter 27:Sire
Chapter 28:Shade
Chapter 29:Twisted Mirror
Chapter 30:Shared Taint
Chapter 31:Magilles
Chapter 32:Barrier
Chapter 33:Giles
Chapter 34:Break
Chapter 35:War's End
Chapter 36:Departure
Chapter 37:Borderline
Chapter 38:Forward
Chapter 39:Reba
Chapter 40:Search
Chapter 41:Lost
Chapter 42:Balance
Chapter 43:Vengeance
Chapter 44:Unliving
Chapter 45:I'm Sorry
Chapter 46:Rest?
Chapter 47: Ma
Chapter 48: Nrevac
Chapter 49: Raided
Chapter 50: Be gone
Chapter 51: Eyes
Chapter 52: Swordsman
Chapter 53: Slaughter
Chapter 54: Hands
Chapter 55: Revelation
Chapter 56: Devastated
Chapter 57:Scared
Chapter 58: Nuisance
Chapter 59: Greed
Chapter 60:Plagued
Chapter 61: Broken Heart
Chapter 62: Pearl
Chapter 63: Descent
Chapter 64: Burned
Chapter 65: Panic

Chapter 15:Vizier

43 8 4
By TimmyLail

Soon after the ambush, Vizier had been captured by a group of Vrai soldiers. The woman in charge of them laughed."Good job boys! Lord Valga'll reward us for this!"She removed her helm, showing that she had the brown hair of a Vraiwoman. Her men laughed and sat down, keeping their weapons raised.

The woman sat down and pat his shoulder."We should be thanking you, really. Awfully nice of you to be unconscious for us when we got here!" This brought a wave of laughter from her men, who began speaking amongst themselves as they guarded the area. The woman sighed."Sorry to say, he'll probably kill you himself with that fancy sword of his." She informed Vizier, sitting down and keeping a hand on her spear.

He looked at her, nodding."Unfortunate...why would you join him if you feel that way?" He asked.

She shrugged."Simple. He has power, I don't. And, if I work hard enough...I'll be able to change things."

Vizier nodded."Hmm...So, you're one of the nobles children?"

She shook her head."Daughter of a son of a noble." She replied."My father died trying to earn back his title...trying to improve everyone's lives."

He nodded, sighing."I see...I could work in your favor." He offered."If I were freed-"

"Then I'd die, and Fauxmen nobles can't do much for dead people, can they?" She spat at his feet.

He sighed."If I could, I would."He said. "But Valga...you must realize that Valga will never make good on whatever promise he's made."

The woman, who was named Vodrai, sighed."Very true. But, a girl can hope."

Vizier frowned, deciding to change the subject."...Tell me, what do you hope to change? What is it that you hope to accomplish by becoming a noble?"

She paused for a moment, then sighed."Guess I should humor you, if you're going to die anyways. So, I'll answer with another question. What do you think the picture of complete happiness for a woman would be?"

He considered for a moment."...Well...to be happy. Marry a kind man and have children, certainly."

She nodded, hesitating."And...what if, say, a woman did not want to marry a man? If she loved another woman?"

She looked up to see he was surprised."Ah...you're..."

She nodded."I am."

Vizier sighed."Well...I see no problem with it, and-"

"Have you raised any concerns about it in your little meetings in the Capitol?"

He hesitated and shook his head.

"Well, surely you've talked about tolerance?"

He shook his head again.

"Well, you've at least made it clear it isn't a problem in your fiefdom, that you wouldn't put an end to any such union?"

He sighedresignedly."Well....no. I haven't done any of that."

She nodded."Exactly the problem. Even if you are unopposed to it, as you say, you don't support it either. No one talks about such things, or if they do, it's to condemn those who feel like I do. So, if...When, I become a noble...I'm going to get people talking about it. They'll ignore me at first, sure, but...they can only do that for so long." She snickered."Just imagine the looks on those old Fauxmen's faces if I start bringing my woman in to meetings. Or better yet, I'll invite them to my wedding!" She laughed.

He sighed."Well...even if your lord was not going to kill me, I wish I could share in your enthusiasm. Nobles of this land are either very cruel, very ignorant, or very cowardly...I myself happen to be part of the last."

Vodrai frowned."Oh? How do you reason that?"

He hesitated, then sighed."Well, you've been very forthcoming, so I suppose it is only fair I repay in kind." He looked at her."What would you do...if your soldiers, your fellow commanders, all gathered for something that you opposed?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vizier had been a young noble at the time. His father had been killed in the war, and so, at the young age of only fifteen, he assumed the duties of his estate under the new king. He had been tending to accounts of the realm in his office when he had heard a knock at his door. He looked up."Oh! Lord Valga! To what-"

The noble, who did not yet have grey hair laced throughout his Fauxmen black, smiled."Greetings Vizier." He walked in, then turned, scowling as he put a hand out to stop his attendant."Vikram! What have I said about entering a room with a lord present!"

Vikram, a younger man, not yet having earned the scar across his face, bowed his head to Vizier."Beg pardon. May I enter?"

Vizier blinked, then nodded."Of course...pray tell, how did a Vraiman come to be your servant, Valga?"

The elder noble laughed."Odd story that! Once, he was a commander in the king's army. When I was captured by them, he talked them out of feeding me to wolves. I managed to escape, and the king had him whipped, thinking he'd helped. So, he followed my trail and joined my army instead."

Vizier smiled."I see..." He noted a few scrolls at his side."And a Mage, no less! Quite the servant! So, lord-"

Valga raised a hand."Please, we're equals now, no need for that." He smiled."I came to recruit you for a little revolution, my friend."

Vizier frowned."A revolution?"

Valga smiled."One to put Fauxmen on top. Their idiot king let us keep our power, so...with their trust, and assassins in the right places at the right time...we could overthrow it in a day!"

He frowned."...Why? He's been gracious to us by letting us keep our lives, not to mention our titles. Such an act is-"

Valga's cheery expression turned dark."You wouldn't betray your people now, would you? After all, we're not even asking you to fight. Just march your army through to make a show and pretend you know nothing."

He hesitated, and Valga added "After all, we prefer to keep the blood on their side of things."

Vizier winced, but nodded."Of...of course Lord Valga."

The older man clapped a hand on his shoulder."Enough of that! Like I said, we're both equal here."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vodrai blinked."So...you went along with it?"

He sighed."Had to, or I'd have been killed, and any of my relatives who didn't share my fate...well, they'd have-"

"Ended up like my father." She finished distastefully.

He nodded."I do not feel shame for my fear then...it is what came later that I regret, and what I must live with."

Vodrai leaned forward, interested."And what would that be?"

He sighed."...It was the day the Republic was established...."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"-All Fauxmen are murderers, and any who stand by and listen to this nonsense are just as bad!" The words of the noble girl were especially stinging to Vizier, for he had done exactly that. Stood by while the plans were made, done nothing as they planned assassinations, come up with a way to deal with noble children, thought only of his own safety and done nothing to stop it.

Valga looked down as Vikram was slashed across the face and sighed, holding out his hand."Crossbow."

Vizier hesitated only a moment, then handed it to him. He could do nothing now, for the revolution had begun, and this girl had no chance of leading a second, it would only tear the nation apart even more. Valga lifted it up, aimed, and fired. After the girl fell, he dropped the crossbow and laughed."Long live the Republic of Vrai!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vodrai blinked."I've heard that story...So you gave him the crossbow, eh?" She sighed."Well...maybe it'll help you with the lord. He'll make your death quick."

He smiled."Well...I apologize for the deceit, but I think we've rather had a reversal of fate."

She blinked and turned, seeing that all of her men had been knocked out.

Viviara smiled."Mmm....Soldiers are always so weak-willed. Easy to manipulate all at once." She laughed, pulling out a knife."But, since you're a woman..."

She trailed off, seeing Vodrai's eyes widen at the sight of her. She swayed from side to side, and her eyes followed her. Vivaria smiled."Haha! I got it to work on a woman!" She smiled and walked forward excitedly."Hello there. Aren't you just a pretty one."

Vodrai shuddered."Um, er, uh....D-don't sa-"

She smiled and hugged her."Now...how about you just sleep for me, alright?"

Vodrai blinked, nodding obediently and falling asleep immediately.

She set her down, chuckling."Must've gotten better! Never worked on a woman before!"

Vizier considered telling her the truth about this woman, but decided against it."Very well done daughter. Now, let us work to find our guards, hmm?" They rushed off, leaving unconscious guards and a commander smiling in her sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.1K 396 13
DELULU & GUILT PLEASURE
180K 7.1K 29
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
1.4M 99.2K 24
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series ( CAN BE READ STANDALONE ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spread...
8.4M 502K 64
The fiery sequel to Death Is My BFF Rewritten and 2016 WATTY AWARDS winner... The book you should read before this one is "Death is My BFF Rewritten...