Two Sides of the Same Coin |...

By alexaveil

If you lived in Gotham long enough you knew exactly who she was. People feared her. Criminals praised her. He... More

Chapter Zero | The Cast
Chapter Two | The Meeting
Chapter Three | The Party
Chapter Four | The Interrogation
Chapter Five | The Capture
Chapter Six | The Escape
Chapter Seven | The Deal
Chapter Eight | The Call
Chapter Nine | The Hunt
Chapter Ten | The Chat
Chapter Eleven | The Secret
Chapter Twelve | The Week
Chapter Thirteen | The Cave
Chapter Fourteen | The Reveal
Chapter Fifteen | The Beginning
Chapter Sixteen | The Team
Chapter Seventeen | The Test
Chapter Eighteen | The Secret
Chapter Nineteen | The Mission
Chapter Twenty | The Chance
Chapter Twenty One | The Babysitter
Chapter Twenty Two | The Save
Chapter Twenty Three | The Score
Chapter Twenty Four | The Club
Chapter Twenty Five | The Homefront
Chapter Twenty Six | The Farm
Chapter Twenty Seven | The Game
Note

Chapter One | The Heist

22.7K 655 286
By alexaveil

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT. Because that's a wonderfully horrible way to start the story of the end of my life. But, really! It happened to coincidentally be dark and stormy. So just to appease you, I'm not going to say the whole, "Hi, my name is" cliché, because as much as I want to, I just started off with the first most typical introduction in the world and it would be a flat-out crime to follow it up with the second. So instead, lets start off with a warning.

If you're expecting the classic, "bad girl impresses the good guys and they eventually decide to make her a part of their team, which results in the girl falling in love with the main love interest and they all live happily ever after" thing, I can say with a strange sense of pride that you probably shouldn't continue on.

And... I just realized that was yet another cliché. And now your interest has been officially been piqued, and despite my warnings your still probably going to continue on anyways. And I know that was a lot of "and's," but this is my story, which means I can use a word multiple times if I damn well please. Just know that if you're disappointed at the end of this roller coaster, don't say I didn't warn you! (There I go again, cliché number... what? Three? Four? Ah, who cares.)

Oh, and one last thing before we start, I'm kind of an... well, asshole throughout this entire thing, so just keep that in mind if you decide to try any of this at home. (Ten out of ten on Yelp would definitely not recommend it, but I happen to support illegal activity, so I say, "Let them have cake!" or... whatever the hell that phrase is.)

Any who, where was I? Oh, right.

It was a dark and stormy night.

The wind blew my dark brown locks behind me at an alarming speed. I jumped from roof to roof, inhaling the smell of car exhaust and cigarettes. I looked over to the slender woman running next to me, Catwoman. Ferocious feline with a heart of black and very sticky fingersー er.. claws? You know, whatever she had.

"Sel, we've been running for hours! How much longer?" I yelled over the wind.

"Only a couple blocks left!" she replied, hardly sounding exhausted in the least.

I groaned and kept pushing myself. My feet pounding across the gravel, my hands at my sides keeping me balanced as I jumped over yet another brick covered edge. I should've gone with Ivy and the rest of the IJL (which stands for the Injustice League, in case you didn't know) on some mission, but instead I chose going on this heist with Selina.

Why was I doing this again?

As if she read my mind, and I wouldn't put that past her, she stopped and spoke. "Finally! Twenty-five thousand dollars here we come!"

Oh, right. That's why I was doing it.

We pushed open a panel on the roof and stealthily dropped to the tiled floor, not making a sound. Through my mask the building almost seemed a hazy purple color, but that was probably the sleep deprivation talking. Guards passed us as we sneaked through the shadows, our heels barely making any sound, and crept our way to the safe.

"You're sure this is where it is?" I whispered as we pressed ourselves up against a massive white pillar.

"If my information is correct, which it always is, then yes. Now hush," she said, her eyes locked on something across the room. I peered around the corner, seeing the giant metal money-holder glittering in the moonlight, which was seeping through the window above.

"I'll take the guards and you get in. Make it quick," she said as she sprinted off.

I nodded, and rushed towards the safe, adrenaline pumping through my veins. Man, this never gets old. Once I reached it, I started to twirl around the knobs. I heard men grunting and yelling behind me, but didn't pay much mind to it since I trusted Selina knew what she was doing.

After a couple of moments, everything went quiet, signaling she had finished her job. Selina walked up behind me as I cracked the last number, finally gaining access to the safe. I did a mini fist-pump as I jumped up, and was about to go in when I heard something very unsettling.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," a deep voice rumbled from behind us.

Sel and I both sighed as the sound echoed off of the large room. We shot each other a knowing look before turning around slowly, but I still didn't take my hand off of the safe.

"Boys," we greeted in unison.

There stood none other than Batman and the Boy Wonder, glaring at us in what looked like an attempt to be menacing.

"Fine night for a heist, don't you think, Bats?" Selina purred as she seductively walked up towards the two.

I rolled my eyes, just wanting to get my hands on the cash and get out. A new episode of The Walking Dead was on tonight, and I was not planning on letting these two losers make me miss it!

I was snapped out of my thoughts in a rather unfortunate and blood-boiling action. Biting back an involuntary shriek, I landed on the cold floor.

"What the fー!" I started to shout, but a hand slapped over my lips. I yanked it away, and found it was attached to Bird Boy himself.

"Watch your mouth!" he hissed.

I ignored his comment. "Dude! What the hell? That tackle was so uncalled for. I wasn't even ready!"

"Uh, that was kind of the point!"

"When did we even start fighting anyway?" I asked.

"When Catwoman threw Batman through the window," he said in a 'duh' voice, jabbing his thumb back in the direction of the now-broken window. I turned my head to find glass shattered all over the floor as I came to a sudden realization, a grin tugging at the corners of my lips.

"Wait, wait, wait. She threw him, out of a window?"

"Uh, that's kind of what it looks like," he said, undoubtedly rolling his eyes.

"How about we join them then, hm? After all, the more the merrier!" I said gleefully as I flipped him off of me, his body crumpling ungracefully to the base of the wall. Grabbing his hand, I used my body weight to hoist him out of the window. (The undamaged one, of course, because what fun would it be if I just threw him out an already broken window?)

I jumped after him and landed roughly on the gravel surface. I dodged a punch from the Boy Wonder, and whipped around to find Selina in an intense match with Batsーpunches, kicks, and painful-looking moves being thrown left and right.

"Hey Sー er, Catwoman!" I yelled as I bounced over to meet her, jumping on Batman's back, "I heard you threw this guy out the window!"

He grabbed my arms and shoved me to the floor, before dodging another kick from Selina.

"Yeah!" she called back.

"Didn't think you had it in you!" I said, ducking under a roundhouse kick from Robin.

"Guess you thought wrong!"

A chuckle escaped my lips. "Guess I did!"

After some more fighting (the clock's ticking, people! And we can't record shows on our TV) Selina somehow ended up taking on both of them. I paused for a moment as I panted, and then decided to take this as the perfect opportunity to sneak back inside.

I slipped out, hoping no one noticed, and climbed back through the window. I hopped into the room and grabbed the duffel bag we had thrown off to the side before the fight began. Jogging to the safe, I started loading it up, finally filling it to the brim with cash after about thirty seconds. I slung it over my shoulder and sprinted towards the bank doors, slowing for a brief moment to watch their shadows dancing on the floor before me.

I shook my head rapidly. Have to focus!

I continued on my way, adrenaline pumping too fast to worry about the cold, and threw the large black bag in a dumpster. As I hurried back up to the roof, I heard the fight before I even got there. Selina was losing pretty bad, playing heavy on defense instead of offense, which I knew I would undoubtedly get a mouthful for later.

I gripped Robin's shoulder and tossed him out of the way, turning to Sel who was still fighting Batman.

"Cat! Let's just go!"

"What?" she asked in shock, briefly turning her head to stare at me like I was insane. (A bit hypocritical if you ask me, she was the one fighting Batman.)

I rolled my eyes and thrust my arm into the fight, grabbing her wrist and using my momentum to push her off the building ledge which we were fortunately near. Right before I was about to jump, I turned back to the male figures and gave them a two-finger salute.

"It was fun playing! Until we meet again."

Then I jumped.

I slid down a metal ladder on the side of the building and landed on the alley floor. I heard Selina's heeled footsteps fading away down the street, so I grabbed the duffel out of the dumpster and ran after her.

We got to her apartment in about three minutes. It was dirty and messed up, with only one bedroom, a bathroom, a small living room, and a kitchen. She had beaten me there, and was already throwing a tantrum as she flung her mask on the floor in rage.

"We could've had it! I could've had it! Unlike you! What did you do? You left me to take them on by myself! What kind of partner does that?"

"Selー"

"I'll tell you what kind of partner! A bad one!"

"Selー!"

"No! You don't get to talk! You don't deserve it!"

"Selina," I said calmly, and she looked at me with a tired glare, all the rage from her dissipated for the moment.

"What?" she asked dryly.

I smirked, threw the duffel bag on the counter, and opened it up. Cash nearly spilled from the bag as her face perked up. She slowly walked closer and looked inside, almost like she thought I was pranking her.

"What were you saying about bad partners?" I asked smugly.

She grinned from ear to ear, a look I didn't see on her often.

"You got it?" she asked quietly.

I raised an eyebrow. "Does it look like I got it?"

"Yes.."

"Well then..?"

She broke into a cheer and gave me a hug, laughing loudly. "I can't believe I ever doubted you! Good job, Brielle."

"You used my full name?" I asked, shocked.

She rolled her eyes and took her arms from around me. "Don't get used to it."

I chuckled. "Don't worry, I never do."

She then started undoing her hair, taking off her weapons, and placing them on a small wooden table near the hallway. "So, you hitting early tonight?"

I opened the fridge and grabbed a water out of it. Cracking it open, I took a sip and turned to her.

"Nah," I said nonchalantly. "I got a meeting."

She laughed in shock. "You? A meeting? At nearly two in the morning? With who?"

"You'll never guess," I said with a disdainful frown.

She raised one of her perfectly arched eyebrows, blue eyes full of curiosity. I sighed.

"Fish Mooney."

"Fish Mooney?" She repeated. "What the hell could that bitch want from you? She basically has one foot in the graveー actually, screw that! I've seen the woman dead!"

I rolled my eyes. "Don't get your ears in a twist, Kitty. You know I can take care of myself."

She scoffed. "Listen, I'm manipulative. But that lying, backstabbing, two-faced skank? All I'm saying is watch your back; don't be running around getting jumped by some of her creeps or anything. I don't wanna be have to be busting you out from an abandoned factory tomorrow."

I glared at her. "That was one time. Let it go already."

She laughed. "Just come back with all your limbs. See you tomorrow, Bri."

* * *

Well, chapter one done! I'm having so much fun writing this book, I've already written three chapters😂 But I can't stop! I've been waiting to share this for a while, and decided now was the right time! I hope you all enjoy it, and I'll post soon!

xo Alexa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

481 46 12
The Young Justice team is sent to Bialya. After regaining all but a few of their memories, the team sets off to finish their mission-and report their...
933 48 10
What do you do when you're a homeless kid on the streets of Gotham? Becoming a criminal is SO straight-forward, so how about something new? Dick Gray...
9.1K 688 57
Wally's gone. Richard's gone. Willow's gone. Emma is too afraid of anyone else leaving her. Finding her home, her old life, and being asked a cer...
12.5K 863 58
A team? More like a family. Too much school? Try being a superhero with the safety of the world on your shoulders. A strong leader, a big brother...