Aspen Heights, Book 2: Forgot...

By writingaspenheights

☆ Elita Carpenter's adventure continues in the sequel to Aspen Heights. She doesn't remember what happened af... More

Elita
Sophia
Livia
Cassie
Ben
Elita
Sophia
Livia
Cassie
Evianna
Elita
Sophia
Ben
Sophia
Livia
Elita
Evianna
Cassie
Ben
Elita

Ben

45 3 0
By writingaspenheights

"I don't get it. What is this thing even supposed to do?" I asked, examining the heart necklace dangling from around my wrist. Under closer inspection Sophia, Cassie and I had decided that the necklace was made of clay. It looked like a lot of different colored had been mashed together. Some of the colors got a little too mixed together and had turned into a greenish, brownish color. Sophia snatched it out of my hand. "That thing is going to bring her back...well, hopefully," she replied. We were sitting on the wall outside the school. It was a surprisingly warm day. "Yeah, but, how?" I asked. "Well I don't know exactly," she confessed. "Aren't you supposed to be the one who knows it all?" I asked, grinning playfully. "I'm beginning to think I'm in the dark about this whole thing," she sighed. "Are you ok?" I asked, resting a hand on her arm. "Yeah, I just feel like we're not really helping," she explained, hanging her head. "We're doing everything we can Sophia," I assured her. "I know, of course we are, we just...we just have to find a way to get her to put this on and never ever take it off," she said, holding the necklace up so the sun light hit it. "Well, until she's...you know," I replied, trying to find the right words. "Got control, I know," Sophia finished for me. "Well lucky for you, I have an idea!" came a voice out of nowhere. Sophia and I both turned out heads in the direction of the familiar sound. It was Livia. "Livia? What are you- wait! Were you eavesdropping?" I asked, narrowing my eyes accusingly. "Well, I've been eavesdropping for days. The garden, the tree trunk, right now. I've been following you guys," she explained. "Um, why?" Sophia asked. "Because I, unlike the rest of the school, am not oblivious to what's been going on!" she explained, tightening her ponytail. "Ok, at this point we're desperate. What's your idea?" I asked. "It's easy. That's a heart, she's a girl, you're a boy. You need to take her on a date and give it to her as a gift or something," Livia suggested. "A date?" I asked, surprised. "A date," said Sophia, nodding. "Who's going on a date?" asked another voice. We all turned to see Cassie. Brianna was walking right behind her. "What's a date? I think I've heard of them! Is it organic?" Brianna asked. "Seriously? I can't even right now," Cassie murmured, face palming. "Anyway, we just got back from Elita's room. We made it super pretty," Cassie said. "Yeah, it was really plain before," Brianna agreed. Cassie sat down next to Sophia, and Brianna next to Cassie. "So, who's going on this date?" asked Cassie, leaning her head in curiously. "Ben and Elita," Livia replied, smiling slyly. "I dunno you guys, she always said we were never a thing," I said uncertainly. "Oh please! We all saw you at the dance," said Cassie. She smiled and rolled her eyes. "This could actually work," said Sophia excitedly. "So it's settled, you're going on a date with Elita," Livia confirmed, winking at me. "Apparently..." I replied.

"Ugh, my hair!" I complained, staring in the mirror at the crazy black mess that sat atop my head. I was in my room, getting ready for my date with Elita. I had thrown on a red, plaid shirt, the nicest thing I had. Even though I'd gone on lots of dates before, and this one wasn't exactly a real date, I was still nervous. Livia laughed. "Here, let me help you," she offered, smoothing it down with her hands. "There, that looks better," she said, nodding. "Thanks," I replied. "You better hope she says yes to this date," Livia said. "No kidding. So how do I look?" I asked for the hundredth time. "You look great. It's weird, I always though...I always thought it would be us," she admitted. "Huh?" I asked. "It's stupid, never mind," she said, turning away. Her cheeks were bright red with embarrassment. "Livia, what is it?" I asked. She took a deep breath. "Before Elita came, it was always you and me," she explained, her voice cracking. "Livia..." I whispered. I never knew she felt that way. I mean I knew she liked me, but I thought it was just a silly crush, just like basically every other girl in this school. "It's fine Ben. You and Elita will be great," she said, smiling weakly. "You know it isn't even her half the time, right?" I asked. "Yeah. Cassie and Sophia filled me in," she replied. "So then you know that this isn't even a real date," I said. "It feels like a date. I better go, and you better go get Elita," she said, clearly ready for the conversation to end. "Yeah," I agreed.

I stood outside Elita's door for three minutes before finally mustering enough courage to knock. "Come in!" Elita called. I pushed open the door slowly, not sure what to expect. Elita was standing in the middle of her room in a plain white tank top and shorts. "Hey Elita," I said. "Ben. Hello, hi..." she replied. "Yeah, so, I was thinking, um..." I trailed off, not quite sure how to announce it. "Ok, that's great," Elita said, looking annoyed. "Yeah, I was thinking about us." I explained, scratching my neck uncomfortably. What if Elita refused? If she didn't agree I couldn't give her the necklace and if I couldn't give her the necklace she might never have control over herself again. "Ok, why?" she snapped impatiently. "I dunno, I guess I just always thought we-" Elita cut me off before I could finish. "Oh, right! Yeah, us! Us," she said, nodding. "Yeah," I said. "Uh huh," she responded. "So like, do you wanna go on a date with me?" I blurted. "What? When?" she asked, looking surprised by the question. "Well I was thinking like, right now," I said, smiling awkwardly. "Uh...sure, fine. I mean, great! Yes! Super excited!" she agreed. "So, yep! Let's go. Ok..." I said, gesturing towards the open door.

Elita and I sat at a table in a little cafe. She hadn't bothered to dress up, just thrown on a jacket and some shoes. We had each eaten a cupcake and downed a mug of steaming hot cocoa. "So, this was fun," said Elita, not sounding like she was having fun at all. "Definitely," I agreed. "Ben, is everything alright?" she asked, her eyes suddenly full of concern. "Yes! Of course, I'm fine. Totally fine!" I said, hoping my smile looked genuine. "You know you can tell me if there is something wrong. It's me, Elita, remember?" she asked. "Yeah, yeah, it is. It's just that I miss the way things were before the dance, I guess, I dunno..." I said. "Why?" Elita asked. "Because it was different. We were different," I explained. "Ben, nothing's changed. I'm Elita, you're Ben," she said. "Of course you are! Well anyway, I got you something," I announced. "You did? No way! Why?" She asked, looking genuinely excited. "I dunno, I saw it and I thought you'd like it, so, here you go," I said, reaching into my pocket and grabbing the necklace. "Oh my gosh, Ben," she whispered, grabbing the necklace from my outstretched hand. "Do you like it?" I asked. "Yeah. I love it actually. I really love it," she said, her eyes sparkling. She let it dangle from her hand, admiring the old piece of jewelry. "Good! Great! Here, let me help you put it on," I offered. I pushed her hair out of the way and fastened the clasp. "There you go," I said. "Oh hi Ben! Oh, uh, um..." She stuttered, looking around, confused. "Is everything alright?" I asked. "Yes! Of course! I just zoned out for a second I guess. Thank you for this necklace, it's beautiful! Where'd you get it?" She questioned. "Oh, you know, a man never tells!" I said. But then I decided that it was too suspicious and added "but don't get suspicious or anything. It's from Target," I lied. "Alright," Elita laughed. "Promise me one thing though," I said. "Anything," she replied. "Promise me you won't take it off as long as you care about me," I told her. "I promise Ben. I won't take it off." ahe swore, fiddling with the necklace. Finally, my mission was complete.

I stood in the library, Cassie, Livia and Sophia standing around me, bombarding me with questions. "How'd it go?" asked Cassie. "Did she take it?" asked Livia. "Is she gonna leave it on?" asked Sophia. "Do you think it was, you know, really her?" Cassie whispered. "Guys, this is a public place," I reminded them. "Oh please, just tell us!" Livia begged. "Well, it went fine. She took it, she promised she'd leave it on," I replied. "Was it her?" Cassie repeated. "I don't know," I admitted. "I really hope it was her. It definitely wasn't her at the beginning. It was...it was just awkward! But when I gave her the necklace-" "It was her?!" Sophia broke in. "I think so," I replied uncertainly. "So it's working then!" Cassie sang. "So my plan actually worked?" Livia asked giddily. "It's a surprise to all of us Livia," Sophia mocked. "Does this mean that I'm part of your little clique?" Livia asked, ignoring Sophia's rude remark. "There is no clique." Cassie replied. "Oh please! You guys have a clique! Ask anyone in this whole school! You're like this secretive little group that no one's allowed to be a part of. So can I join?" she asked. "Just let her join," I said to Cassie and Sophia. "Ok...come with me. I'll just fill you in on everything you don't already know," I offered. "Yes! I guess we're best friends again!" Livia squealed, looking at Cassie. "If you can be nice, we can be friends again," Cassie agreed. "I am super nice Cassie!" Livia argued. "Ok, let's look back, hmmm..." Cassie said, tapping her chin with her finger in thought. "Ok, let's not, goodbye! Come on Sophia!" Livia said, grabbing Sophia's hand and dragging her out of the room.

Once they were gone, I assumed Cassie and I would leave, but just as I was about to go Cassie caught me off guard. "So including Livia was a little unexpected," she said. "She isn't that bad," I replied, trying to convince myself it was true. "Um, I remember the days when we would hide in our rooms and just talk about how terrible she was," she reminded me. "Yeah, well, eh, yeah," I admitted. There was a long silence. I looked to the floor, then to the ceiling, and finally back at Cassie. Our eyes met. "Ok, why is this awkward right now?" Cassie asked. "What? No! It's not awkward. What are you talking about? What?" I rambled. "Ben! What is the matter with you? Did something happen on the date?" she asked. "What? No, nothing. Not the date, no! Nothing, it's fine," I insisted. "Ok, you've been acting really weird since the tree trunk...oh my gosh, is this about me grabbing your hand?" she asked. "What?! No, no! What're you- no! What are you talking about? Nope! Noooo, no no no no no! No, that was not awkward at all. Heh... Yeah," I finally admitted. "Oh my cows potatoes!" Cassie said. "What?" I replied. "What? Is that not a thing that people say?" she asked. "No. Not at all," I replied. "Oh. Well sorry that I got nervous and grabbed your hand for support! Won't happen again, ok?! Geez. Ok, look, just because the rest of the girls in school have this huge, major crush on you does not mean that I do too! I mean Elita is my best friend, hello! I know you guys have a thing, or at least did," she said. "Ok! Sorry! And for the record, the only thing that Elita and I had was not a thing, thing. It was a thing without the, like, thing... Thing. You know?" I asked. "Ok, that still doesn't make sense to anyone!" she complained. "Ok, well it makes sense to us!" I replied. "Does it though? Does it really, Ben?" She asked. I just stared at her. "What?" she asked. "It's just that sometimes it's hard, you know, because she's gone. But no one else noticed because her body's still here, but her mind is just lost," I said. "I know Ben. But we're going to help her find her way back. I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 5.1K 52
[BOOK 5] "𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙚𝙡𝙨𝙚, 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 - 𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙖 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙡." F...
151 4 88
Book One: After Lilith's mysterious disappearance, Ivy must follow her mother's last instructions, leading her to a bizarre land with new and foreign...
402 32 21
Aspen roamed the streets late into the night after a truly terrible day. She had been abruptly fired from her job without any explanation. Lost in he...
88 5 17
After her class mate goes missing Poppy starts getting suspicious about who could have taken her. Or killed her......... As she grows closer to findi...