Play it Again

Oleh ChasingAvenues

Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Announcement

Chapter 25

1.3K 64 2
Oleh ChasingAvenues

Chapter 25

The setting sun bathed the houses around me in golden light, making the street look a little less dangerous than I thought it was. I increased my pace, wanting to reach home as soon as possible. I had left Jasper's house quite late, so I had taken a short -cut. My hands were stuffed deep into my pockets as I tried to look invisible.

There were no people ahead of me. The narrow street was littered with food wrappers and empty cigarette boxes. A cat was sitting on a fence, looking disinterested.

I hoped that criminals did not choose their targets on this street.

When I turned a corner, I spotted a group of teenagers near the side of the road. My shoulders tensed, then relaxed when I heard the music playing from a radio they had. The song was beautiful, and I couldn't help but feel that I had heard it before. I just couldn't place it.

Just as the song was going to reach the chorus and the melody became haunting, the station was changed abruptly. The next song was one that started with a terrible scream. The rest of it was as bad and started to get on my nerves.

"Seriously?" I spoke without thinking. "You prefer this?"

One of them heard me and turned around.

"Do you have a problem?" His voice was menacing.

"No."

But it was too late. All of them were starting to turn around. I realized that they were a bit older than me, and didn't seem too friendly. Most of them were wearing jackets with metal rivets and some of them had piercings and had annoyed expressions on their faces.

The boy who had spoken took a step towards me. I backed away in response, starting to panic.

Suddenly, a hand landed on my ass, and then it curled around my waist. I was pulled towards the stranger who had just appeared, against my own volition.

"Hey, sweetheart." Nathan's tone was off-hand. He gave me a quick peck my cheek.

I was too frozen with shock to say anything.

"Is she your girlfriend?" The leader of the group asked.

"Yes." Nathan bluffed, then started walking away, with me still attached to his hip. "She's new, so she gets lost easily. Sorry if she was bothering you. We'll be going now."

We turned around another corner. I whirled around, pushing him away. My mouth started to work again.

"What the hell was that?" I demanded.

"That was me saving you. You should be thanking me." He looked at me like he expected me to do just that.

"Did you have to touch my butt?"

"I didn't mean to. You grew taller since the last time I saw you." He had the decency to look embarrassed.

"Why did you tell them I was your girlfriend?" I snapped, not ready to accept his explanation.

"It helped you get away, didn't it? Besides, you're my best friend, I'm supposed to help you."

That was the final straw.

"You're not my best friend. You haven't been my best friend for years." I started to walk away.

"Lex." He reached out and grabbed my hand.

My hand shot out and hit the side of his face.

"I hate you!" I screamed. "Stop trying to change that!"

For a few seconds, we stood in silence, staring at each other. It was like we were unable to comprehend what had just happened.

Then the realization hit and I stared in horror at his slowly-reddening cheek, which he was clutching. His expression changed from confusion to anger to hurt. The pain on his face made me stagger away from him.

I turned and ran. He didn't stop me.

I didn't know I was crying until my glasses fogged up. I tripped and fell on the ground, grazing my knees and hands. But I got up and continued to run blindly. For some reason, my mind kept pulling up the memory of him singing Perfect.

After sometime, I slowed down and started taking deep, gasping breaths since I was out of shape.

The bell above the door tinkled as I pushed it open. My feet had led me to the record store.

"Lexa?" Caleb looked at me, smiling. Then when he came closer, his features creased with worry.

I must have looked like a mess. Usually when I cried, my eyes became puffy and red. I'm sure the scratches on my hands were bleeding as well.

"Are you alright?" The alarm was clear in his voice.

"I don't want to think." I told him. "Make me forget."

He didn't ask any questions, just pulled me near the counter and put a pair of headphones on my head.

"This is the playlist I listen to when I don't want to think."

I slumped down, my back against the wall. He joined me, and started playing the music.

We sat with our shoulders touching, but not saying a single word. Once, a song's lyrics reminded me of Nathan, but just as I winced, he changed the song. I lost track of time, but I started to feel a little better.

When the music stopped, we sat in silence, until I thanked him for helping me, and he replied by saying that I didn't need to thank him.

"Can I ask you something?" He was looking at his feet.

"What?" I crossed my fingers, hoping he wouldn't ask me about what had happened to me.

"Would you like to watch a movie with me this Saturday?"

"Are you asking me out on a date?" I was taken aback.

"Yes. I would understand if you don't want to come, though." He sounded like he was expecting to be turned down.

"I'd love to come with you." I found myself saying.

He shot me a wide smile, then stood on his feet. He held out a hand, which I gripped and used to pull myself up. Then I looked at my phone. I had five missed calls from Jake.

"Damn, I have to run." I said out loud.

"I could give you a ride."

I readily accepted his offer and reached home in five minutes. After waving goodbye to him, I ran inside.

"Where were you?" Jake hissed at me when I walked into the living room.

"At the record store. Are Mom and Dad here yet?"

"No, but they'll be here any second. Why didn't you pick up your phone?"

"I didn't hear it ring." I replied truthfully.

He didn't look pleased with the answer but before he could say anything, our parents pulled up in front of the house. I used the oppurtunity to run up the stairs and make myself look presentable.

The rest of the evening passed by smoothly. We had dinner and as usual, I pretended to listen. All I could think about was the expression on his face when I slapped him and about what an awful person I was.

I fell asleep as soon as I collapsed on my bed. I was happy to escape my thoughts.

*

I was woken up by someone talking loudly on the street. Annoyed, I stumbled to the window. To my surprise, I saw Nathan. He seemed to be talking to himself. Clearly, he was drunk.

"She hates me." His voice was bitter, and for some reason, he laughed. "She fucking hates me and I can't handle it."

It was obvious that he was talking about me.

"Nathan." I called out, unable to stop myself.

"Lex?" He was squinting in my direction. "I have to tell you something!"

"What?"

He cleared his throat, and started to sing. His voice was hoarse and he was tragically off-tune.

"Sometimes I wish I could save you... And there are so many things that I want you to know. I won't give up till it's over. If it takes you forever-"

He couldn't finish because I had picked up the nearest object, which was a cushion, and thrown it at his head.

"Nobody sings Simple Plan to me but Liam!" I yelled, afraid that he still wouldn't stop singing.

Unfortunately, I must've over-estimated his ability to maintain his balance, because he he fell over backwards and didn't get up.

-----

Ooh, a cliff-hanger. ;)

If you encourage me to put up the next chapter, and it'll be up faster.

You know what to do. ^_^

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

249K 7.9K 176
What if a Pokémon Trainer found herself in the world of One Piece? What if she found herself with the Strawhat Pirates? What if she finds herself get...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
11.4M 296K 23
Alexander Vintalli is one of the most ruthless mafias of America. His name is feared all over America. The way people fear him and the way he has his...
43.6M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...