Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The music was so loud. I pushed through a mass of bodies at the entrance of the huge building which was perfect for a party. Teenagers moved their bodies to the beat, or to their own internal music. I stepped over somebody passed out on the floor. I didn't know where I was getting the courage to keep going, but I managed to ignore the couples making out, the empty bottles on the floor and the slightly older "guests".

I got to the centre of the living room. I still couldn't believe no one had noticed me. Perhaps it was my appearance. I tried not to stare at the girls in their mini skirts and high heels. I unzipped my jacket. It was pretty hot inside, even though most of the windows were thrown wide open.

I started taking in the place. It looked like most of the valuables had been locked away by the host. Speakers stood in the middle of the room, attached to a i-Pod. There was a long table in the corner, laden with food and beverages. Nachos being the food, and beer and other dubious drinks being the beverages. There was someone snoring on the sofa, managing to sleep through all the noise.

A blanket had been pulled over him. Or her.

I suddenly felt kind of silly. Everyone had come with company. I barely knew anyone here. Would I keep standing in the corner by myself at this place?

I didn't realize I was staring directly at a bunch of people in front of me until a guy from the group winked at me. I could tell he was gay from the eyeliner he was wearing or the glitter in his hair. He lifted a finger and pointed it in his direction, asking me to come join them.

Soon, I was dancing, with my hair free, sweat running down my forehead and a bunch of random party-goers surrounding me. They didn't say much to me, and I did the same. I finally understood what people had meant by the joy of letting go at a party. The gay guy went to follow another guy with blue eyes and black hair, leaving me in the circle.

Somebody tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to look at a boy with bleached blond hair, gray eyes and a nice smile.

"Hey." he shouted over the music. "My name's Drake. What's yours?"

"Lexa." I yelled back.

"You're not from around here, right?"

I nodded. Guess I still kind of stood out.

"You dance well. Mind if I hang around?"

"Not at all." I replied. I was secretly pleased. A cute guy wanted to dance with me, at a party in New York. And I was actually having fun. What could go wrong?

After sometime, I realized I was thirsty. Drake and I headed to the table. I couldn't find any water, so I stood there staring until he handed me a glass.

"Coke." he explained.

I drank it in one go and we headed back to the dance floor. The song had changed. They were playing Tonight Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae. I laughed as he started doing some crazy moves. I drank another glass of Coke. For some reason, it tasted off. My head was starting to feel heavy. I ignored it, but then suddenly, I stumbled and couldn't stay upright for some reason.

Drake supported me, but then suddenly my back was towards a wall and he was too close for comfort.

"I really like red hair." he whispered in my ear. "And the glasses are a nice touch. But I'm sure you're more feisty in other places than the dance floor."

He was gripping my hand too hard. I couldn't push him away. I twisted my hand, panic rising in my chest. I looked over his shoulder to see if anyone was noticing, if anyone would help. Everybody was busy in their own little world.

My heart sank. I was stuck and alone. I belatedly realized that it was my own fault.

"Let me go." I tried to plead.

He just smiled that cryptic smile and leaned in closer, and closer while I started to close my eyes, scared to see what would happen next.

Shockingly, I felt the pressure reduce on my hand.

"The girl said let her go." A calm and familiar voice said. My eyes snapped open just as Liam placed an arm on Drake's collar. He had the exact same expression on his face like he had on the day we had met Raoul.

He looked up at Liam and smirked. "Why should I do that?"

Jasper appeared at his other shoulder. "Because then we'd make you."

Drake turned around took in the scene behind. The whole band was standing there, looking quite impressive. And angry. But I guess he was pretty stupid because he didn't take them seriously.

"I'd like to see you try." he drawled.

"You asked for it." Liam said, then picked him up and bodily threw him onto the wall. I gasped. Drake didn't move after that.

"What are you doing here?" Liam spat at me, still looking furious.

"I just came to enjoy." I said, starting to feel like I was going to cry.

"In a party at New York with that creep over there?" Jasper pointed at Drake who was starting to get up and run away.

"And you're drunk." Scarlett stated.

"He said it was Coke." I sounded pitifully stupid.

Liam just shook his head, looking disappointed. That's when I got a little angry.

"So what are YOU doing here?" I asked.

He looked kind of embarrassed at that.

"Well.. .?" I prompted.

"We have a gig here." he admitted.

Now I was the one feeling sorry for him. The band had to make money somehow and this was the only way they could. By performing at a party where the crowd was too drunk to notice them playing and consisted of popular kids whose parents let then get what they wanted. They didn't really care about the music.

"I'll join the band." I declared, without thinking.

"You're drunk." Liam reminded me again.

"That doesn't have anything to do with this. I'm sure I want to. In fact, I'll perform now."

"You're not stable." Scarlett reminded.

"Am tooooo." I slurred, swaying on my feet a little.

Jasper grabbed Liam by the arm and both of them went to stand in the corner to have a heated discussion about me joining the band. As if I couldn't hear them from where I was.

"Please." Jasper said. "Let her join!"

"What if she doesn't remember in the morning! Or regrets the whole thing?"

"I don't regret a lot of things I did when I was drunk." he smirked.

"I've never seen you drink."

"Too bad."

"Whatever. Are you sure about this?"

"Yes!"

"Fine." Liam sighed.

Jasper bounded over and gave me a pat on the head. "You owe me one." he laughed.

I grinned back at him. "Are we going to perform or not?"

"Lexa, YOU are just going to do background vocals, OK? I'm singing most of the songs." Liam told me, worried.

"Sure, sure." I waved a hand at him.

--------------------------------

She's finally in!

I was just going to do a longer chapter, but that would've taken forever, so, next chapter will be the performance! Yay :)

Vote