Chapter 25

Chapter 25

The setting sun bathed the houses around me in golden light, making the street look a little less dangerous than I thought it was. I increased my pace, wanting to reach home as soon as possible. I had left Jasper's house quite late, so I had taken a short -cut. My hands were stuffed deep into my pockets as I tried to look invisible.

There were no people ahead of me. The narrow street was littered with food wrappers and empty cigarette boxes. A cat was sitting on a fence, looking disinterested.

I hoped that criminals did not choose their targets on this street.

When I turned a corner, I spotted a group of teenagers near the side of the road. My shoulders tensed, then relaxed when I heard the music playing from a radio they had. The song was beautiful, and I couldn't help but feel that I had heard it before. I just couldn't place it.

Just as the song was going to reach the chorus and the melody became haunting, the station was changed abruptly. The next song was one that started with a terrible scream. The rest of it was as bad and started to get on my nerves.

"Seriously?" I spoke without thinking. "You prefer this?"

One of them heard me and turned around.

"Do you have a problem?" His voice was menacing.

"No."

But it was too late. All of them were starting to turn around. I realized that they were a bit older than me, and didn't seem too friendly. Most of them were wearing jackets with metal rivets and some of them had piercings and had annoyed expressions on their faces.

The boy who had spoken took a step towards me. I backed away in response, starting to panic.

Suddenly, a hand landed on my ass, and then it curled around my waist. I was pulled towards the stranger who had just appeared, against my own volition.

"Hey, sweetheart." Nathan's tone was off-hand. He gave me a quick peck my cheek.

I was too frozen with shock to say anything.

"Is she your girlfriend?" The leader of the group asked.

"Yes." Nathan bluffed, then started walking away, with me still attached to his hip. "She's new, so she gets lost easily. Sorry if she was bothering you. We'll be going now."

We turned around another corner. I whirled around, pushing him away. My mouth started to work again.

"What the hell was that?" I demanded.

"That was me saving you. You should be thanking me." He looked at me like he expected me to do just that.

"Did you have to touch my butt?"

"I didn't mean to. You grew taller since the last time I saw you." He had the decency to look embarrassed.

"Why did you tell them I was your girlfriend?" I snapped, not ready to accept his explanation.

"It helped you get away, didn't it? Besides, you're my best friend, I'm supposed to help you."

That was the final straw.

"You're not my best friend. You haven't been my best friend for years." I started to walk away.

"Lex." He reached out and grabbed my hand.

My hand shot out and hit the side of his face.

"I hate you!" I screamed. "Stop trying to change that!"

For a few seconds, we stood in silence, staring at each other. It was like we were unable to comprehend what had just happened.

Then the realization hit and I stared in horror at his slowly-reddening cheek, which he was clutching. His expression changed from confusion to anger to hurt. The pain on his face made me stagger away from him.